How do deaf people think?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Doraleous

Re: How do deaf people think?

Post by Doraleous »

metalangel wrote: If you want to see some very expressive signing, watch this video (I love it, hilarious)
Dude, I can't even begin to fathom how that can convey all of those things she say... I mean, gestures; can it really be that she does like 3 signs and all of "As I'm sure you already know, interpreting requires confidentiality with personal or other information" is conveyed?

I'm impressed.
SotiCoto

Re: deaf people think?

Post by SotiCoto »

Pure evil, probably.

I've always disliked deaf people, as a general concept (I'm sure there are some I wouldn't mind on a one-on-one basis)... Not because they can't hear, obviously, but for all the other crap that goes with it.
They're pretty much the antithesis of several things I hold quite key and vital...

It just bugs me.
It bugs me how they flail around like mad things, when they could sign far more subtley. And some of them make noises like they just don't care... like just because they don't get the audio aspect of things they can just bellow like rutting cows or whatever. In short: I hate when they make a total scene of communicating.... just like most mundies, but worse.
All that body-language is an abomination. I'm very opposed to that sort of thing. All sorts of unnecessary movements are distracting and a hindrance to a practical lifestyle... Just as bad as people who play funny buggers with the truth and can't say anything without burying their meaning under layers of sarcasm and insincerity.

All the subtleties and nuances of communication CAN be conveyed SOLELY through words, without any external media, nor "tone of voice" nonsense... if one can only resist the natural tendency towards communicative decay that comes with non-literalness. Even in the case of deaf people, most of them can lip-read, can't they? I know that usually involves having to actually look at them while talking to them, which is a nuisance (people who insist on eye-contact are another annoyance)... but more tolerable than flailing and noise.

ANYWAY ... Deaf people probably think the same irrational nonsense most mundies do... Why wouldn't they?
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

SotiCoto wrote:Pure evil, probably.

I've always disliked deaf people, as a general concept (I'm sure there are some I wouldn't mind on a one-on-one basis)... Not because they can't hear, obviously, but for all the other crap that goes with it.
They're pretty much the antithesis of several things I hold quite key and vital...

It just bugs me.
It bugs me how they flail around like mad things, when they could sign far more subtley. And some of them make noises like they just don't care... like just because they don't get the audio aspect of things they can just bellow like rutting cows or whatever. In short: I hate when they make a total scene of communicating.... just like most mundies, but worse.
All that body-language is an abomination. I'm very opposed to that sort of thing. All sorts of unnecessary movements are distracting and a hindrance to a practical lifestyle... Just as bad as people who play funny buggers with the truth and can't say anything without burying their meaning under layers of sarcasm and insincerity.

All the subtleties and nuances of communication CAN be conveyed SOLELY through words, without any external media, nor "tone of voice" nonsense... if one can only resist the natural tendency towards communicative decay that comes with non-literalness. Even in the case of deaf people, most of them can lip-read, can't they? I know that usually involves having to actually look at them while talking to them, which is a nuisance (people who insist on eye-contact are another annoyance)... but more tolerable than flailing and noise.

ANYWAY ... Deaf people probably think the same irrational nonsense most mundies do... Why wouldn't they?
Who do you think you are, that you can decide which methods of communication deaf people are allowed to use? It's the same as me deciding that English is unnecessarily difficult and everyone should use Dutch instead! It is simply not done!

That 'flailing around' is slightly loud talking. You're saying we should all whisper? All blind people should wear sunglasses to hide their eyes because it distracts you? Or Asians should use fork and knife instead of sticks to eat?

I hope I won't ever meet you because you are seriously an asshole for even suggesting that!
Doraleous

Post by Doraleous »

Kutagh wrote: Who do you think you are, that you can decide which methods of communication deaf people are allowed to use? It's the same as me deciding that English is unnecessarily difficult and everyone should use Dutch instead! It is simply not done!

That 'flailing around' is slightly loud talking. You're saying we should all whisper? All blind people should wear sunglasses to hide their eyes because it distracts you? Or Asians should use fork and knife instead of sticks to eat?

I hope I won't ever meet you because you are seriously an asshole for even suggesting that!
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

metalangel wrote:If you want to see some very expressive signing, watch this video (I love it, hilarious)
Thanks for that. In the present context, it's also interesting to watch for the subtitles.
SotiCoto

Post by SotiCoto »

Kutagh wrote: Who do you think you are, that you can decide which methods of communication deaf people are allowed to use? It's the same as me deciding that English is unnecessarily difficult and everyone should use Dutch instead! It is simply not done!

If you get offended, you've already lost.
Who do I think I am? I don't. I'm not anywho. I fight to win, not to deprive others of the game.
Like musical chairs, there isn't enough space for all of our ways, so we keep the pressure on until one or other buckles.
I'll wear the sunglasses, so you don't need to worry about that. The world is too bright anyway. I'd turn the sun down if I could find the switch. Would turn the noise down too. Too bright and too noisy.
So just smile and fight on. There isn't really a difference between smiling and baring teeth anyway. ^_^

Doraleous wrote:Image
We gotta eat too, y'know. Wherever there is a resource, life finds a way to consume it. And with all the pain and misery out there, it is little wonder that some are born to feed upon it.
It is a harsh diet to be stuck with, but like the panda with its bamboo or the koala with its eucalyptus... it is all that sustains us.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Found and interesting little explanation about this on Wikipedia. Its more about how the thought process for anyone, deaf or not, isn't in any particular language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Vygotsky

Scroll down to "Thought and Language" if you want to read a little more into it.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Soticoto, the only evil person around here is you. *plonk*

Shadehave, it's true that language is also a social construct. But I'm not sure that's all there is to it. I guess better investigation of the functioning of the brain in the future will be needed to figure out the secrets of thought.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
SotiCoto

Post by SotiCoto »

Beoran wrote:Soticoto, the only evil person around here is you. *plonk*
So I keep getting told, but it isn't like "evil" means the same thing from one person to the next, is it? There isn't really much point to the word at all beyond conveying displeasure at something.
Anyhow... deaf people are just normal people, but more disruptive. That is the bare bones essence of things.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

SotiCoto wrote:
Beoran wrote:Soticoto, the only evil person around here is you. *plonk*
So I keep getting told, but it isn't like "evil" means the same thing from one person to the next, is it? There isn't really much point to the word at all beyond conveying displeasure at something.
Anyhow... deaf people are just normal people, but more disruptive. That is the bare bones essence of things.
Eh, as far as I can see the disruptive people here are the retards like you.
SotiCoto

Post by SotiCoto »

Kutagh wrote:Eh, as far as I can see the disruptive people here are the retards like you.
This is the internet, not meatspace. Different rules, different results. What is or isn't disruptive in meatspace is quite different to its equivalent on the internets. The tendency for most to be terrible at playing one-on-one carries through though. Such a shame. Always so quick to resort to ganking or delegation.
And I'm not slow, just differently-minded. Not sure if you were being literal or not though. Probably not.
... Mundies.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

SotiCoto wrote:
Kutagh wrote:Eh, as far as I can see the disruptive people here are the retards like you.
This is the internet, not meatspace. Different rules, different results. What is or isn't disruptive in meatspace is quite different to its equivalent on the internets. The tendency for most to be terrible at playing one-on-one carries through though. Such a shame. Always so quick to resort to ganking or delegation.
And I'm not slow, just differently-minded. Not sure if you were being literal or not though. Probably not.
... Mundies.
Eh, come to me in 'meatspace' then and see who is more disruptive.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

SotiCoto wrote:
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a normal person. A decent size of a normal society tends to be disruptive in their own ways as well, I'm sure you could vouch for them. A deaf person flailing their arms could be considered largely insignificant and non-disruptive in normal terms.
SotiCoto

Post by SotiCoto »

Kutagh wrote:Eh, come to me in 'meatspace' then and see who is more disruptive.
If you're going to threaten me, at least make some effort to be more straight-forward about it.
This is just the sort of thing I'm talking about. The amount of their lifespan people waste learning to talk themselves in circles and learning all the abstract and redundant ways to mean basically the same thing is horribly inefficient. By all rights I shouldn't have even known that was a hollow threat. Knowing such things is beneath me. And yet my mind has been contaminated with such nonsense through overexposure.

Of course it is somewhat of an educated assumption that the threat is hollow. To date, 100% of people who have threatened me with physical violence on the Internet whom I have then subsequently met, have not carried out their threats. Perhaps I should have asked one of them why they didn't, but it only occurred to me in hindsight each time.

ShadeHaven wrote:As far as I know, there is no such thing as a normal person. A decent size of a normal society tends to be disruptive in their own ways as well, I'm sure you could vouch for them. A deaf person flailing their arms could be considered largely insignificant and non-disruptive in normal terms.
It depends on one's frame of reference. From mine, over 99% of humans behave similarly enough to each other and differently to myself to qualify them as "normal". As such any given one of them is a "normal" person, irrespective of other factors. Naturally, one tends to be more sensitive to more familiar aspects and less sensitive to less familiar aspects, so if you're amongst the "normal" people then they might seem more... varied to you. From out here though, everyone might as well have come off a conveyor belt together, with tweaks only to their appearance.
Last edited by SotiCoto on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

SotiCoto wrote:
Kutagh wrote:Eh, come to me in 'meatspace' then and see who is more disruptive.
If you're going to threaten me, at least make some effort to be more straight-forward about it.
This is just the sort of thing I'm talking about. The amount of their lifespan people waste learning to talk themselves in circles and learning all the abstract and redundant ways to mean basically the same thing is horribly inefficient. By all rights I shouldn't have even known that was a hollow threat. Knowing such things is beneath me. And yet my mind has been contaminated with such nonsense through overexposure.

Of course it is somewhat of an educated assumption that the threat is hollow. To date, 100% of people who have threatened me with physical violence on the Internet whom I have then subsequently met, have not carried out their threats. Perhaps I should have asked one of them why they didn't, but it only occurred to me in hindsight each time.
Eh, as far as I am aware, it was very straightforward: Come to me in 'meatspace'. We'll see who is more disruptive. I don't see any threats in it either, I'm not threatening you with violence am I?

Don't make it look like I've said or implied stuff I haven't said nor implied.
As far as I can see, you are the one talking in circles...