I am a Bit Stuck On What I Should Skip and What I Shouldn't

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

What should I do? (Read the description)

Skip everything up to till Act 2
24%
Just leave it on skip everything you have already read, even if you feel lost at times
31%
Skip nothing, even if you are bored
43%
A specific order (Please post about what that order is if you choose this)
2%

Total votes: 58

royaltyler

I am a Bit Stuck On What I Should Skip and What I Shouldn't

Post by royaltyler »

I just finished Lilly's path and finished Hanako's a bit before that and now I want to go on to Rin's, but I am a bit stuck because, as the title reads, I don't know what I should do about skipping over things. It would be boring and a bit of my time would be wasted if I just read everything, but if I turn on skip mode, not skipping over unread text, of course, I will, well, when I get to parts I haven't read I feel confused because I don't know the situation. What do I do? Is it alright if I just skip over some stuff, does it not leave me confused at certain parts, or is it worth reading everything. I think I will make this a poll, yeah, I will.

Oh, thank you for your support for those who do help my situation, either if it is by making a post (I may end up thanking you again if you post), or if you just answer the poll.
I don't know what to put here, yet. I may put something here.
Daitengu

Re: I am a Bit Stuck On What I Should Skip and What I Should

Post by Daitengu »

If you aren't confident in your memory, I'd say don't skip. If you know what's going on and what's going to happen, then skip. Act 1 is quite a bit different once you get past day one. So I would never recommend skipping to act 2.

There's always skimming through what you;ve already read.
Last edited by Daitengu on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

When you come to a scene, ask yourself if you remember what happened in the scene. If you do, use skip mode. If you don't, turn skip mode off. It's just that simple. Personally, I found that I didn't really clearly remember everything that happened in Act 1 until I had played through it 2 or 3 times, so if it's your first replay and you're like me, you'll probably be reading more than you're skipping.

And by the way, skip mode will automatically stop when it reaches any text that has not ever been displayed before, so have no fear of skipping things that you haven't seen.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Frankly I dont think skipping is a good idea. I skipped throught certain parts and I thought I was fine. But when you skip you accidently miss so many little things that by the end you have no idea some of the fine details you should know, or you may not know whats going on at ALL!

I skipped through a lot of Shizune and Rins playthrough. I really need to go back and redo them because of that so i know whats happening!
royaltyler

Post by royaltyler »

Daitengu wrote:If you aren't confident in your memory, I'd say don't skip. If you know what's going on and what's going to happen, then skip. Act 1 is quite a bit different once you get past day one.

There's always skimming through what you;ve already read.
I am a bit stuck on either just skipping everything I have already read, or just reading everything. I think it would be better to read it all, it is just that, and I forgot to mention this, I have 1 day, 17 hours, about, to complete her path; 7:00 AM (Sunday) to 12:00 AM (Monday). I know it would be bad to do something like this in one day, but I want to with the current schedule I have. I know 17 hours is definitely enough time to complete the game, well, maybe (I am a bit of a slow reader and it took me about 12 hours to complete Lilly's Arc, skipping over everything until the decision to either go the library or town), but I of course will have to eat food. I have nothing to do for the day, but I will have to eat, drink, go to the bathroom, et cetera, et cetera.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Camoufrage wrote: I skipped through a lot of Shizune and Rins playthrough. I really need to go back and redo them because of that so i know whats happening!
It sounds like you're talking about an entirely different kind of skipping than everyone else. It's impossible to use the Skip Mode feature to skip over anything you haven't read yet. Of course, I would never recommend manually skipping over parts of the story you haven't read (what would be the point of that!).

Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Mirrormn wrote:
Camoufrage wrote: I skipped through a lot of Shizune and Rins playthrough. I really need to go back and redo them because of that so i know whats happening!
It sounds like you're talking about an entirely different kind of skipping than everyone else. It's impossible to use the Skip Mode feature to skip over anything you haven't read yet. Of course, I would never recommend manually skipping over parts of the story you haven't read (what would be the point of that!).
Lol I dunno, but I was dumb enough to do it.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

royaltyler wrote:I forgot to mention this, I have 1 day, 17 hours, about, to complete her path; 7:00 AM (Sunday) to 12:00 AM (Monday). I know it would be bad to do something like this in one day, but I want to with the current schedule I have.
What an odd restriction. It seems like any time you stand to save by employing a community-voted optimal skipping strategy would have been easily made up by just reading the story instead of spending your time right now on the forums in the first place.

But if you're pressed for time, I'd say go ahead and use Skip Mode on parts you've read before even if you don't remember them entirely. It's not going to influence your understanding of the story very much once you lock in to a girl's route.

royaltyler

Post by royaltyler »

Mirrormn wrote:When you come to a scene, ask yourself if you remember what happened in the scene. If you do, use skip mode. If you don't, turn skip mode off. It's just that simple. Personally, I found that I didn't really clearly remember everything that happened in Act 1 until I had played through it 2 or 3 times, so if it's your first replay and you're like me, you'll probably be reading more than you're skipping.

And by the way, skip mode will automatically stop when it reaches any text that has not ever been displayed before, so have no fear of skipping things that you haven't seen.
Camoufrage wrote:Frankly I dont think skipping is a good idea. I skipped throught certain parts and I thought I was fine. But when you skip you accidently miss so many little things that by the end you have no idea some of the fine details you should know, or you may not know whats going on at ALL!

I skipped through a lot of Shizune and Rins playthrough. I really need to go back and redo them because of that so i know whats happening!
As I had said in my last post (Is double posting something you can be banned for here? I went threw the rules and saw nothing relating? Oh well, I think it may be too late to go and correct it now, people have probably already read it), I only have one day to play her arc... But, that is really only personal preference, if I do exceed my 17 waking hours, I can always continue it the next day after school. I just would really like to get it all done in one way, I think I have finally decided to read all of act 1 though, because I have only really went threw it once, as I had said skipping over everything until the final decision in the act whether to go to the library or town, plus I am a very critical person when it comes to story, so if I miss anything the story is going to probably be at least a bit ruined for me, I am sorry to admit.

EDIT (I think it alright to do this time):
Mirrormn wrote:
royaltyler wrote:I forgot to mention this, I have 1 day, 17 hours, about, to complete her path; 7:00 AM (Sunday) to 12:00 AM (Monday). I know it would be bad to do something like this in one day, but I want to with the current schedule I have.
What an odd restriction. It seems like any time you stand to save by employing a community-voted optimal skipping strategy would have been easily made up by just reading the story instead of spending your time right now on the forums in the first place.

But if you're pressed for time, I'd say go ahead and use Skip Mode on parts you've read before even if you don't remember them entirely. It's not going to influence your understanding of the story very much once you lock in to a girl's route.
I don't really feel good about skipping things I have already read now, because I did recently try that, and I all of a sudden stopped at the point were Emi is mocking Misha / Shizune (I don't know, lol) saying her name and I was only thinking 'what?'
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

royaltyler wrote:I don't really feel good about skipping things I have already read now, because I did recently try that, and I all of a sudden stopped at the point were Emi is mocking Misha / Shizune (I don't know, lol) saying her name and I was only thinking 'what?'
space bar, space bar, space bar. Good for skimming.

You can also scroll the mouse wheel up to reread a previous passage.
royaltyler

Post by royaltyler »

Daitengu wrote:
royaltyler wrote:I don't really feel good about skipping things I have already read now, because I did recently try that, and I all of a sudden stopped at the point were Emi is mocking Misha / Shizune (I don't know, lol) saying her name and I was only thinking 'what?'
space bar, space bar, space bar. Good for skimming.

You can also scroll the mouse wheel up to reread a previous passage.
For some reason when scrolling is really terrible for me when playing the game, but that is probably because I am using a laptop so I should probably try and find a wireless, or wired would be okay too, mouse somewhere around my house. Also, when playing the game I actually use a PS3 controller, X set as select / advance, but I could just use the space bar as you said.
yummines

Post by yummines »

I would say just skip parts youve already read
likely this will just be parts in Act 1, which generally has repeating scenes (such as the Risk game and meeting Hanako in the library)
the game has check marks on which decision you didnt choose anyhow
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Why make polls I don't even ¯\(°_o)/¯
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I set the text speed to very fast, so that all the text for a post would appear almost instantly. That way if I wanted to skip it, I would be able to. But I only used Ctrl to skip, to skip individual lines, rather than Tab to skip whole sections out.

I think I skipped a little of Act 1, but only on my 4th/5th playthroughs, and only the parts which were obviously common to all the girls.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Skip NOTHING.

Remember Adam Sandler in the movie 'Click' where he skips the most menial tasks so he can only enjoy the 'good parts' and ends up regretting it? Yeah.

You're like Hisao's remote control. DON'T skip ANYTHING
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story