Curious little experience I had today.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Camoufrage

Re: Curious little experience I had today.

Post by Camoufrage »

metalangel wrote:
Camoufrage wrote:BUT, as to the OP I am jealous. Sign language hardly makes any sense to me no matter how hard I try to learn it
Really? Which one have you tried? I like what I've seen of ASL so far. It's clever and efficient. Many signs are symbolic too: hours, minutes and seconds look like clock movements while the signs for parts of the day remind me of the position of the sun in the sky. I really wish I had proper professional instruction, though.
Ive been using ASL aswell.

Its not that Im never gonna get it, but its hard for me. I suck at learning languages. I learned German in high school but it barely stuck. I am trying to learn sign language though, as hard as I can. I hope its enough to actually figure it out. I can do it just fine, remembering it and using it in sentences is the problem for me.
NimesPret

Post by NimesPret »

I was wondering if anyone had started a sign language thread and I'm happy to see one here.

Memrise just recently started a basic sign language course, obviously its far from being perfect or complete but it should help beginners.

http://www.memrise.com/set/10022578/basic-signs/

There's also, of course, more complete sources like: http://www.lifeprint.com/

But yeah, hope no one is learning it just to try to pick up someone who's deaf. Thats a little bit much.
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

NimesPret wrote:I was wondering if anyone had started a sign language thread and I'm happy to see one here.

Memrise just recently started a basic sign language course, obviously its far from being perfect or complete but it should help beginners.

http://www.memrise.com/set/10022578/basic-signs/

There's also, of course, more complete sources like: http://www.lifeprint.com/

But yeah, hope no one is learning it just to try to pick up someone who's deaf. Thats a little bit much.
I just like how clueless he looks. Fits the whole "not able to hear" thing. Its much more helpful then ASL for me, at least for starters.
NimesPret

Post by NimesPret »

Oh yeah, it really helps to be able to see the guy's expression.

I think its actually something thats relied on a bit in signing. Also mouthing sometimes comes into play for certain words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Yeah so Ive been using it for the past few hours. Definitely the best free sign language lessons you can get!
NimesPret

Post by NimesPret »

Yup, memrise is also pretty good for spoken languages.

A friend of mine suggested it to me for Japanese but I use it for French too.

Its just great.

Hopefully they'll flesh out their ASL courses more as time goes on. I think its a major project for their site.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

NimesPret wrote:Oh yeah, it really helps to be able to see the guy's expression.

I think its actually something thats relied on a bit in signing. Also mouthing sometimes comes into play for certain words.
It's a visual language, and facial expressions and body movements are important. My understanding is that there is a lot more mouthing in BSL than ASL.

Raised eyebrows are a closed (yes/no) question, furrowed brow is an open (more detailed answer needed) question. Shifting from one side to the other can be used as "or".

I'd love to see fully animated Mishas and Shizunes signing, but we only ever see Hisao (getting it wrong no less)
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

metalangel wrote:
NimesPret wrote:Oh yeah, it really helps to be able to see the guy's expression.

It's a visual language, and facial expressions and body movements are important. My understanding is that there is a lot more mouthing in BSL than ASL.

Raised eyebrows are a closed (yes/no) question, furrowed brow is an open (more detailed answer needed) question. Shifting from one side to the other can be used as "or".

I'd love to see fully animated Mishas and Shizunes signing, but we only ever see Hisao (getting it wrong no less)
I could see full-motion Shizune + Misha sign language lessons :lol:
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Camoufrage wrote:
metalangel wrote:

I could see full-motion Shizune + Misha sign language lessons :lol:
I'd pay to have them teach me.

Oh, and OP, you have my sincere respect. People like you are rare and comes in hundreds per-generation. Hats off to you!
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
the deaf gamer

Post by the deaf gamer »

im deaf hard of hearing myself and i could teach you guys asl (english) or whatever :)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Is deafness hereditary? :o
the deaf gamer

Post by the deaf gamer »

acewing905 wrote:Is deafness hereditary? :o
hell no its not its just something you are born with its random just like blindess just saying :) will post a video of asl :p
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

the deaf gamer wrote:
hell no its not its just something you are born with its random just like blindess just saying :) will post a video of asl :p
I just asked because he was referring to a deaf family. :) So it'd be just coincidence in that case?

Post by Guest »

acewing905 wrote:
the deaf gamer wrote:
I just asked because he was referring to a deaf family. :) So it'd be just coincidence in that case?

its like 1 in a million for family to be deaf but 2 deaf parents=one or 2 hearing children or 1 hearing, one deaf= one deaf kid and one hearing or 2 deaf= deaf kids or 2 hearing= deaf kids its not uncommon but its a 1 in 50 chance ish 50/50 if you will. or hard of hearing etc etc but yeah a coincidence sometime. :) because im the only deaf/hard of hearing guy in the family they all are hearing so no one in my family have a history of deafness that why i said its random lol speaking of that is there any vn with h-contents with the main character being deaf/ hard of hearing who can read lips and talk with his voice talking to girls?
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Wow, Guest, major run on sentence there. As for the whole faimly deal, it is entirely possible that some or even all of them are only partially deaf, or even then it is entirely possible that my assumption could be mistaken and they may not even be a family after all; just three participants at a school for the deaf travelling together. This may be supported in that I saw the girl in passing at the station yesterday - alone. I wish I'd been practicing AusLan more so that I might have spoken to her then, but alas Uni conspires against me. Perhaps next time I'll be able to do something above simply introducing myself or resorting to fingerspelling.
Cheers, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!