Meanwhile I wait [Hisao x original character]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Bagheera

Re: Meanwhile I wait [Hisao x original character]

Post by Bagheera »

Dawnstorm wrote:Thanks. At times she's pretty hard to write, both emotionally and getting her right. But what delayed me this time was Kenji. I really don't like him much, nor the humour he represents. I still tried to do him justice, but don't expect him to be a major player.
See, that means we'll get along fine, because I feel exactly the same way about him! :mrgreen:
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

For story-post navigation please refer to the index post.

II.6. How Do You Think I Feel?

Afternoon tea passes the time. Lilly and Hanako are good company. They are careful to talk about inconsequential things, and Hisao is settling into a comfortable routine. His morning runs with Emi give him a sense of accomplishment. There is a sense of complacency. Part of Hisao wishes that life could go on like this forever. But that's no good. Didn't he have a life much like that at his old school? And what did that get him? The path of least resistance doesn't prepare you for sudden friction. A hospital stay, an attrition of friendship, parental time-out. And now he is here, creating a cocoon of habits to shield him. Talking about nothing, running in circles. Hisao is split in two: a naïve wish, a gloomy evaluation. It is not a matter choosing one path or another. It is the mould he is drifiting into. Alienation. Surprisingly, the only thing of substance in his life is Miya. But she has no centre and no direction, and the view she inspires in him is bleak: whether you're broken or whole doesn't matter, because the world you live in is fundamentally broken already.

Miya hasn't been in touch since that letter, but there is no question that she will be. Soon. He doesn't talk about her, and nobody brings her up. Everyone knows the connection exists, and it is quite clear that nobody approves. What has he been talking about with Lilly and Hanako today? Hisao can't remember. There's a bitterness in that, that's hard to trace. He feels they care about him, though why they should after so short a time is a mystery. There is a residual gratitude inside him, and a feeling that there should be more than that. But the moment he is alone, Miya is on his mind, blocking out any non-related thought.

It is no wonder the rumours say they are lovers: notorious Miyako Kitagawa, and unknown, unnamed new guy. But their connection is nothing like love. It's obsession. What connects them? The only thing Hisao can think of is “death”. To him: A cancelled future, at first, but increasingly a wasted past. To her: Who knows?

It's like this every day. He enters the corridor, frighteningly familiar by now, walks down it, pushes the key into the lock, turns it, opens door, steps into his room.

“Hi,” says Miyako. She's sitting cross-legged on his bed, giving him a wide grin.

Hisao hesitates for a second. He blinks. Then he turns around, carefully closes the door, locks it, turns back to Miya, holds up his key, looks at it. “I did unlock my door, before opening it, didn't I?”

“The door was locked,” Miya says cheerfully.

Hisao's peeks over her shoulder towards the window. The curtain is drawn.

“The window is closed,” she says.

“You're enjoying this situation.”

“Very much.”

“You're not going to tell me how you managed to... break in?”

“I didn't break in.”

“I see.”

“I meant to wait outside, but... I startled a rather unlikely burglar and ended up confined in here, perhaps for being a feminist.”

“I see.”

“You believe me, then?”

“It seems you've run into Kenji.”

“Is that his name?”

Hisao sighs in defeat. The explanation is as plausible as it is absurd. “It is. Maybe you can help me figure something out. Does he actually believe that nonsense?”

Miya shrugs. “It's an act. I can't tell if he buys into it. It seems I upset him.”

“I'm not surprised.”

Miya rolls her eyes. Then she suddenly perks up, an leans forward. “So. Who's Iwanako?”

Impossible.

It is impossible that he just heard that name come from Miya's mouth.

For a moment, his mind contains nothing. And then it is crammed with memories: snow, the smell of disinfectant, the creak of Yamaku's gates. Objects, no people. Nobody exists, and he doesn't either.

“I... wa... na... ko.” This is his voice. He recognises it.

“Yes, exactly. That's what I said.”

“How do you...?” He doesn't finish. Memory and perception disengage. He's listening to his heartbeat. It's... fine? He can't tell. There is no pain. There would be pain. There would, wouldn't there?

“A letter arrived. I put it on the desk. Girlfriend? She has a neat hand.”

“You... read it?” He stares at her. Somewhere deep inside he feels he should be angry.

She doesn't reply to that. “Come on. Who is she? You know I won't give up until you tell me.”

She won't. He doesn't want to talk about Iwanako. Iwanako is the last thing he wants to talk about. Iwanako... “Someone I admired from afar. Then she asked me out. I was so happy, I thought my heart would burst. It wasn't quite that bad.” His voice sounds far off, flat. It is not his voice at all.

Miyako stares at him, her eyes wide open. He feels his own eyes narrow. The anger he should have been feeling emerges. It is none of her business, is it?

Miyako moves. She now sits at the edge of the bed. A cry of disbelief: “No!”

Hisao doesn't move. He leans back, ever so slightly. “Yes.”

Silence, and then Miyako bursts into laughter. She drops back on his bed. She is shaking.

“It's not funny.” His voice is quiet, very quiet. She might not have heard it at all.

“Hisao,” she says in a voice much higher than her usual. “Will you go out with me?” Then she grips her chest and curls up, lets out a clichéd gurgle, than continues laughing.

“It's not FUNNY!”

She gasps for air, between bursts of laughter, then sits up. “Y-” A giggle. “You only say that because it happened to you.”

Hisao is calm, very calm. But when he tries to speak, he finds he can't.

“Oh, come on.You could really use a sense of humour.”

He takes a deep breath. “Do you ever stop to think how other people feel?” This is cold, directed anger. “Maybe you are to busy to feel sorry for yourself? Well? How do you think I feel?”

Miyako sits up, tilts her head, looks at him. Her eyes narrow. “Frustrated. Angry.” She takes a breath. “Abandoned, maybe? Useless?” Her lips curled into a smile. What has shown on his face? “You don't really want a letter from Iwanako, do you? You don't want to remember. You get what you want, but you can't take it. You're too broken for that. It's how you found out. Poor baby, is the letter hurting you? There. Let big sis take it away for you.” But she doesn't move.

He looks at his desk, and there is the letter. She's right. She's wrong, but she's also right. And she might be more right than wrong... he doesn't want to talk about it. He doesn't want to think about it. But Miyako has read it, hasn't she? Neat hand, huh?

“So, now that we've talked about how you feel, what about how she feels?”

Don't want to think.

“You were happy with her confession, were you? Well, does she know? Girls don't confess lightly, you know? It takes courage. You know, the thing you didn't have when you were admiring her from afar.”

None of your business.

“Let me guess how she felt back then: She wants to be there for you. She visits, but it comes out as pity. She doesn't want that. But that's how it is.”

“You read the letter.”

“She's useless. She's given you a heart attack, but since it's not technically her fault, she can't apologise without it sounding strange. And she doesn't know how to talk to you, either. You're always annoyed. If she stays away, she's abandoning you. If she comes, she's annoying you. No way out.”

“Your read the letter!”

Miyako sighs, looks away. “So what if I have; does that change anything?”

“You have no respect. None at all. For nobody. For nothing. You read my letter because it was there, didn't you? Just like that.”

She's drawing air through her teeth. “So what if I have?” She raises her face sightly. She's glaring at him now. “You want respect? You're still pretty new at that game are you?
What do you want me to respect? Denial? Insufficiency? Stop being such a cripple.” She shakes her head, rubs her temples. “Well, look who's talking. I've got plenty of experience, but I've never really found a way to deal with it, have I?”

No respect! None at all! “Go. Just go away. And don't come back. You were asking for a favour? Forget about that. Go and don't come back.”

“If only it was that easy.” But she stands up, walks past him. She tries to open the door. “It's locked.”

Right. He is still holding the key. He turns, and with a step he is by the door. For a moment, their bodies are very close. His hands tremble, and it takes him three tries to insert the key in the key hole. He unlocks the door. Miyako opens it barely a crack, before she slips through. The door closes almost immediately.

Hisao hisses through gritted teeth, then takes a deep breath. He walks to the desk. He has been staring at the letter for a long, long time before he notices the envelope. His name and address, hand-written. He turns the letter around: Iwanako's name. The envelope is still glued shut.

Hisao's mind is blank. There's a taste in his mouth. He opens a drawer, drops in the letter. It lands on Miyako's letter. He pushes the drawer closed with more force than necessary. He sits down, puts his elbows on his desk and buries his face in his palms. If Miyako didn't read the letter, why didn't she say so?

So what if she hasn't read the letter. Does it change anything?

But those are her words, not his. This situation is a mess, such a mess. Why do Miyako's words always push past his defences?

Iwanako. It's funny, isn't it? He felt guilty towards her, and then he resented her for not being a better girlfriend, and then he felt guilty for that, and he blamed it all on his heart. Insufficiency, as Miya has called it. And all the while Iwanako had feelings, too. Funny how that never even occurred to him. And now he can't remember. Did he ever tell her how happy the confession has made him? There was no opportunity, was there? The mood was never right, was it? And there he was thinking of her as his girlfriend. As if a confession was the indicator, and her visits were proof. His own feelings he just took for granted. But how could she know, when all he ever did was collapse onto snow and then feel sorry for himself. Was she... waiting? Did she think her own feelings didn't matter, because he had it so much worse? Love expressed as pity, because there is no better way...

When you hurt, the people who care about you hurt, too. It's a very simple fact. Why is it so hard to accept? He knew it, then, didn't he? He felt the guilt, didn't he? Wasn't guilt part of the mix that silenced him, silenced Iwanako? What is harder to accept? The pain you feel, or the pain you cause? Iwanako, his class mates, his parents. All of them caught unprepared. What did he expect from them? Deep down, how did they disappoint?

Everyone dropped away, and then his parents sent him away to this place to be fixed. They abandoned him; he isolated himself. Frustration, attrition, exhaustion, and not just on his part. But nothing really ended. As proof, here is a letter from Iwanako. Hisao leans back in his chair, staring at the drawer. He doesn't want to read it. Not now. Later. Yes, later. He closes his eyes and his hand moves towards the drawer. There's no good time for this, and there never will be. He might as well read it now.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

It's been a while! Another great addition, I have to admit I had no idea how you would handle their confrontation.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Mahorfeus wrote:It's been a while!
Yeah. Sometimes real life is full of stress and you need to spend your spare time calming down (and writing scenes like this isn't all that relaxing).
Another great addition, I have to admit I had no idea how you would handle their confrontation.
I've planned this scene for a long time. I always intended her to read the letter. Then I started actually writing the scene and found out that she didn't. Suits me fine. While it reduces the overt conflict, it exemplifies their deep conflict pretty well.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Dawnstorm wrote:I've planned this scene for a long time. I always intended her to read the letter. Then I started actually writing the scene and found out that she didn't. Suits me fine. While it reduces the overt conflict, it exemplifies their deep conflict pretty well.
It works better this way for two reasons: First, it show us (again) that she's quite insightful. Putting the pieces together like that is something most people can't manage, particularly at that age. Second, it gets Hisao to step back and examine his assumptions. If she'd read the letter he'd be justified, no, obligated to expunge all trace of her from his life. But since she didn't he has to rethink his position and maybe give her another chance. She's a bitch, yes, but not one completely lacking in empathy or consideration. She's just . . . really, really bad at employing them effectively. So it works.

Pity the chapter was so brief, though. Now we're left wailing and gnashing our teeth while we wait for more! :lol:
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Interesting points. Never thought of the first one. The second one, though, would have had thematic possibilities to exploit. I did have plans for that. 8)

Incidently, Miya's not having read the letter has solved a transition problem pretty naturally for me. Nice side effect. (It's interesting how you can plan one thing, then do the complete opposite and find out it works better.)
nemz

Post by nemz »

Happy little accidents aren't just for hippie landscape paintings. :D
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

nemz wrote:Happy little accidents aren't just for hippie landscape paintings. :D
The good thing about writing is that unhappy accidents have little to no lasting effect. You can just revert.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Very good chapter. I don't think I read about Hisao being told off in this way concerning his behaviour towards Iwanako before.
I also agree that it was better for her not to have read the letter.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Thanks. The letter was one of the very first concepts to arise for this story; at that time I didn't even know exactly what Miya's condition would be (only that it had to be fatal and unpredictable).
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

For story-post navigation please refer to the index post.

II.7. Pencil-Pick-Up Reflex

Emi is staring at the door. Rin discounts the idea that Emi has developed a sudden interest in the class room door. Their classmates are are starting to go through that door, but that's not particularly interesting, as it happens every day. Rin is intrigued. So while Emi is staring at the door, Rin is staring at Emi. Emi's face shows surprise. This means something has happened. But what? If Rin had paid attention, she might know. But you can't always pay attention. For starters, there is an unlimited amount of things one could pay attention to at any time, and if you pay attention to the wrong thing you may miss the right one. What is she supposed to pay attention to now? Oh, right. Emi's surprise has surprised Rin, and that's why Rin is now staring at Emi.

So what about Emi's surprise? It's Emi's rare type of surprise. Not the more common one. She doesn't look the way she looked when she received a love letter. There was a bit of happiness mixed in, then, and a bit of anxiety, too. Mostly excitement. Emi knows that she can get love letters at any time, but she doesn't get them all the time. Paying attention to the possibility of getting love letters all the time is tedious, so Emi doesn't. And thus, when she gets one after all, it's a surprise. But it's not a particularly surprisng surprise.

The surprise that shows on her face now is the kind that, in itself, surprises her. It's a double surprise. There's confusion mixed in. Something has happened, and that something has made her realise that she has always taken for granted that this something would never happen. But it did happen. And it seems to have involved the door, or Emi wouldn't be staring at it.

Rin doesn't bother to guess. The are so many things that Emi thinks will never happen, even though it's quite obvious that they could. Of course, there are a lot of things they agree on: both Rin and Emi, for example, take for granted that it's impossible for a tree to grow from the floor through the ceiling in the middle of the class room in only five seconds. That won't happen. It can't. Well, it probably can't. There's so much Rin doesn't know about this confusing and complex world. And who knows...?

Emi's eyes move in their sockets. She is now staring at the pencil that's lying at an angle near the edge of her desk. A memory stirs in Rin, but it's fuzzy. Something happened to that pencil? But what does that have to do with the door?

“Did Kitagawa just pick up my pencil for me?” Emi says.

It can't be! Emi is surprised by this? Emi may never have seen Miya pick up a pencil, but surely she doesn't doubt that Miya can pick up pencils? It's not such a hard thing to do. Maybe Rin is misunderstanding the situation? Maybe it's not about Miya, but about the pencil? “I don't know,” Rin says. “You dropped a pencil. She picked it up and put it on your desk.” And then she left the class room. Through the door. And Emi has been staring at it. But now Emi is staring at the pencil, and she's wondering if it's hers. Somehow, Miya serves as a connection between the door and pencil. But how?

“That is mine.” Emi says.

“What?”

“That is my pencil.”

“So you knew?”

Now Emi is staring at Rin. She looks as confused as she looked earlier, but she doesn't look surprised. Rin isn't surprised that Emi isn't surprised at being confused at Rin. That happens often, so she's used to it. Rin is confused to. Obviously, the situation isn't quite what she thought it was.

“Of course, I know this is my pencil. I was taking notes with it all day!”

“Maybe you have taken notes all day with someone else's pencil.”

“What? Why would I take notes with someone else's pencil?”

“Maybe you forgot yours?”

“I didn't! I always have my own pencils. More than one. As it happens, I lent you one yesterday. And...” Emi peeks at the pencil at Rin's feet. “...you...” She frowns. “...didn't...” She looks at Rin. “...give it back.”

Sometimes situations move so fast. Why is Emi staring at Rin now?

“This is one of my pencils!” she says, pointing at the pencil lying near Rin's feet.

Rin looks at the pencil, too. Emi really does recognise her own pencils. Rin herself isn't sure if this is one of Emi's pencils. It could be. She did borrow a pencil yesterday. Did she give it back?

Emi pouts. “It's not nice to borrow a pencil and not give it back.”

Rin doesn't want to look at Emi, nor does she want to look at the pencil at her feet. Emi is probably half-joking, half-serious. But Rin doesn't get the joke. She doesn't get what's so serious about the pencil either, come to think of it. If she wants her pencil back, why doesn't she just ask? And in any case, she does have a pencil, so why does she want another one? Rin stares at the pencil on Emi's desk.

“Give it back!” Emi cries.

Rin picks up the pencil, the one at her feet, sinks down in her seat and lifts her foot until she's level with Emi's desk. She shifts in her seat and puts the pencil down.

“Thank you,” Emi says.

Rin's mind goes blank. A feeling spreads that she has forgotten something. Rin and Emi look at each other. It's Emi who remembers first:

“Anyway, Kitagawa picked up my pencil!”

Rin stares at Emi for a while. “I know.”

“What's going on?”

Rin is wondering the same thing. She doesn't know what to say. Silence is the best way to express that state of mind.

“It's Kitagawa,” Emi says. “She doesn't pick up pencils for others.”

Oh. That's right. Emi was surprised, and Rin was curious about that surprise. And now things start to make sense. It was Miya after all, not the pencil, that surprised Emi. But it's not Miya's ability to pick up pencils that's at issue here, it's Miya's willingness to do so. Very likely it's the old pattern: Mean people don't pick up pencils. Miya is mean. Therefore Miya doesn't pick up pencils. Well, Emi thinks like that. If the conclusion makes sense, the premises don't have to. Or maybe they do. To Emi. If so: how? Rin has to say something, now. It's her turn. But how do you reply to something you don't understand?

Most likely, Emi wants a theory about why Miya picked up Emi's pencil and put it on her desk. “Miya looked like she was thinking about something. She didn't look like someone who pays attention to pick up pencils, so maybe she just forgot to curb her pencil-pick-up reflex.” That will do.

Emi looks at Rin. “You mean she wants to pick up pencils, if others drop them, but she restrains herself?”

“I don't know what she wants,” Rin says. “I think she has a pencil-pick-up reflex, though. Maybe she doesn't, but I think she does.”

“But that would mean that deep down inside she's a nice person.”

“Why?”

“What?”

Rin gets a sinking feeling in her gut. She shouldn't have brought up the pencil-pick-up reflex. What's so difficult to understand about it? You see a pencil drop, you pick it up. It's a reflex. It's not about wanting things, or being a nice person. It's a reflex. Like blinking at bright light, only perhaps a bit less automatic. Normally, Rin would just tune out and let Emi talk. But this won't work this time: Emi is surprised. And being “nice”, for some reason, is important to her. Emi will not rest until she's satisfied. And if it's about Miya, she won't bother anyone but Rin, even though the best person to ask is Miya herself.

“I have a pencil-pick-up reflex, too,” Rin says, “but I usually curb it. Maybe the pencil's too far away, and I don't want to get up. Or maybe the pencil isn't mine. Did you know that people don't like it when you touch their pencils with your foot?”

Emi stares at Rin, for a while. Maybe Emi didn't know that people don't like their pencils touched by a foot. It would make sense. After all, she doesn't mind if Rin touches hers. Whatever Emi is thinking, though, she is being quiet about it, and that is a good sign. Rin knows she's off the hook when Emi stares at the door, again. “You know,” she says, “that makes sense.”

It doesn't make sense to Rin. But that's okay. Emi is satisfied and that means she won't bother her about Miya any more. Or about pencils. Thinking of pencils: Rin doesn't seem to have one. Didn't she have one during class? Where did it go?

“Emi?”

“Yeah?”

“Lend me a pencil.”

“Sure. Here you are.”
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Your Rin's still my favorite. :)

Admittedly, this chapter seemed a little like filler to me, but that's just the effect of the suspense from the last chapter talking. It did provide a decent bit of exposition though. Rin already complements Miya rather well, so it was cool seeing that relation being taken advantage of. How ironic is it that the only person who understands Miya is the one with problems being understood? Granted, I'm eager to see how Hisao resolves his dilemma, but character development is (almost) never a bad thing.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
nemz

Post by nemz »

mfw i don't have a pencil-pick-up reflex
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Mahorfeus wrote:Admittedly, this chapter seemed a little like filler to me, but that's just the effect of the suspense from the last chapter talking. It did provide a decent bit of exposition though. Rin already complements Miya rather well, so it was cool seeing that relation being taken advantage of. How ironic is it that the only person who understands Miya is the one with problems being understood? Granted, I'm eager to see how Hisao resolves his dilemma, but character development is (almost) never a bad thing.
Next scene will give us Miya's point of view, and this one's supposed to serve as a sort of lead-in, by hinting that she's in a strange mood. I could have started the scene earlier, so that Miya's (physically) included in the beginning of the scene, but I decided only to deal with the fall-out. That's a side-effect of giving the scene to Rin's point of view (originally it was intended to be Emi's). I chose Rin's point-of-view in the end, because it's perfect for upstaging pre-conceptions.

I also wanted a mood-breaker at that point.
nemz wrote:mfw i don't have a pencil-pick-up reflex
Emi: *drops a pencil near Rin's feet, grins sardonically*
Rin: *stares at pencil*
Emi: Aren't you going to pick it up.
Rin: Why?
Emi: Are you curbing your pencil-pick-up reflex?
Rin: I don't have a pencil-pick-up reflex.
Emi: But you said you do!
Rin: I was wrong.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Let me just say that I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter.
Very Rinny. ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.