Alot like Kana ??

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bookworm

Re: Alot like Kana ??

Post by Bookworm »

Which ending did you get when playing Kana - Little Sister? Five of the six possible endings in that game are really sad, and even the "good ending" isn't particularly happy. But in my eyes that's one of the strong points of KLS.

After having played and enjoyed both games, Katawa Shoujo turned out to be and will remain without a doubt one of my all-time favourite computer games (with Hanako as my favourite character, by the way) - especially since I'm disabled myself. The game gets really serious at times, and then again there are moments when the tension eases up again. In general, it conveys an overall positive attitude.

In comparison, KLS is certainly not a happy story at all - it's basically a tragedy, and the more you get near the end, the more heart-wrenching it becomes. But I'm definitely in love with Kana since I played KLS for the first time a few years ago.

I'd put it this way: in KS, the basic message is: even if you're disabled, life can still be worth living, so give it a try and make the best out of it. In KLS, the basic message is: even though you'll die (and we all inevitably will, sooner or later), life can still be worth living, so use your remaining time the best you can.

And concerning the sex scenes in KLS, the (few) ones involving Kana are quite touching in my opinion, while the majority of them (the ones involving Yumi) are rather used to illustrate the fact that the relationship between Taka and Yumi is based too much on physical attraction.
Teryn

Post by Teryn »

KLS and KS are similar in that they seem to both be quite unforgettable to their audiences. Tears, laughter and just angst can abound in both, so perhaps it's that the two games are emotionally connecting with us moreso than direct similarities in plot, art, story, etc.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Bookworm wrote:Which ending did you get when playing Kana - Little Sister? Five of the six possible endings in that game are really sad, and even the "good ending" isn't particularly happy. But in my eyes that's one of the strong points of KLS.

After having played and enjoyed both games, Katawa Shoujo turned out to be and will remain without a doubt one of my all-time favourite computer games (with Hanako as my favourite character, by the way) - especially since I'm disabled myself. The game gets really serious at times, and then again there are moments when the tension eases up again. In general, it conveys an overall positive attitude.

In comparison, KLS is certainly not a happy story at all - it's basically a tragedy, and the more you get near the end, the more heart-wrenching it becomes. But I'm definitely in love with Kana since I played KLS for the first time a few years ago.

I'd put it this way: in KS, the basic message is: even if you're disabled, life can still be worth living, so give it a try and make the best out of it. In KLS, the basic message is: even though you'll die (and we all inevitably will, sooner or later), life can still be worth living, so use your remaining time the best you can.

And concerning the sex scenes in KLS, the (few) ones involving Kana are quite touching in my opinion, while the majority of them (the ones involving Yumi) are rather used to illustrate the fact that the relationship between Taka and Yumi is based too much on physical attraction.
I got the second intellectual route. I followed a walk through. Ill play the other ones as well, and my opinion may change. However, I dont think it will change much. KS will likely remain my all time favorite.

I guess my biggest problem is I dont like games that involve death and tragedy like that. There is enough of that in real life, I play games to get away from real life.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh, I see. In this case I indeed don't expect you to change your opinion after having played through the other endings of KLS, as you've seen the majority of the most impressive scenes in the game already. The second intellectual ending was the one I got when playing for the first time, too - and I loved it precisely for being such a heartbreakingly tragic story. The main reason for that may be the fact that I could relate so well to Kana; I've been suffering from a chronic disease for the most part of my life, and repeatedly there have been times when I didn't know if I would make it much longer. Until now I managed to survive (as you can see), and at the time being the situation is bearable, so I can't really complain. But you can image how it touched me to watch poor Kana suffering so much, and still she stays such an incredibly kind, gentle and lovable girl - knowing she might not have much time left, but doing her best to make the most of it. That's why I fell in love with her.

In comparison, Katawa Shoujo presents a much happier story. The tragic aspect of life doesn't get blocked out, but in general the story displays a rather confident view at life (at least as long as you get the good endings). Kana - Little Sister contains a positive message as well, but it's not as obvious to see. Even the inevitability of death doesn't make our lives worthless. Although life is short and evanescent, it still can be meaningful as long as you take the chance and give love to others.

That's why I like KS as well as KLS; both games remind me of important insights that are meaningful to my own life.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

ArazelEternal wrote:I just finished one possible path through Kana - Little Sister. It had its moments. I feel a bit drained right now. The ending hurts. Its definitely emotional, and it does not leave you on a high note like KS does if you get a good ending. With a good ending KS will kill you, then bring you up again and your alright. Kana leaves you almost feeling dead. (at least in the path I got, Im not sure if any of the other possible ones are different).

I can see where they would have some similarities. KS is about getting around your problems and living your life. Kana is about living life to its fullest until the very end.

As far as writing goes, I think KS is far better. I wasnt impressed with the overall writing in Kana. At all. The h-scenes were painful, though better than some because they werent just smut. Even though Kana had moments that made me smile, and others that made me nearly start sobbing, I think the difference between Kana and Katawa Shoujo is night and day. Ive played a few VNs, and none of them have touched Katawa Shoujo.
I have to disagree about the writing ... Kana didn't hold back (incest , breast cancer , death , cheating , the effect of death on children ( cana ) , the mental effects of Kana's illness ) .... where i found KS tried to please everyone by having everything work out it the end ( which i thought was a major cop out ) ... now i know that everyone is gonna disagree with me ... but life dosen't always work out for the better like it the ks good endings ... for kana being as painful and difficult as it was to play through i respect it for being honest about real life
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Yeah, thats why I had a hard time with KLS. It reminds me of how much life can suck. As my sig says; life sucks, then we die. Thats why I like KS. It at least makes a good life seem possible, where as KLS doesnt, and makes it painfully obvious that it will never be.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

rydiafan wrote:
ArazelEternal wrote:I just finished one possible path through Kana - Little Sister. It had its moments. I feel a bit drained right now. The ending hurts. Its definitely emotional, and it does not leave you on a high note like KS does if you get a good ending. With a good ending KS will kill you, then bring you up again and your alright. Kana leaves you almost feeling dead. (at least in the path I got, Im not sure if any of the other possible ones are different).

I can see where they would have some similarities. KS is about getting around your problems and living your life. Kana is about living life to its fullest until the very end.

As far as writing goes, I think KS is far better. I wasnt impressed with the overall writing in Kana. At all. The h-scenes were painful, though better than some because they werent just smut. Even though Kana had moments that made me smile, and others that made me nearly start sobbing, I think the difference between Kana and Katawa Shoujo is night and day. Ive played a few VNs, and none of them have touched Katawa Shoujo.
I have to disagree about the writing ... Kana didn't hold back (incest , breast cancer , death , cheating , the effect of death on children ( cana ) , the mental effects of Kana's illness ) .... where i found KS tried to please everyone by having everything work out it the end ( which i thought was a major cop out ) ... now i know that everyone is gonna disagree with me ... but life dosen't always work out for the better like it the ks good endings ... for kana being as painful and difficult as it was to play through i respect it for being honest about real life
Let me see if I'm getting this straight here.

You like Kana because it leaves you with the message that sometimes life sucks and there's nothing much you can do about it and you dislike KS because it gives you the message that sometimes life sucks, but that doens't mean it can't get better?

Does that about cover it?

Seems to me neither one is more honest than the other. Pessimistic does not automatically equal realistic.
Not Dead Yet
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Oddball wrote: Seems to me neither one is more honest than the other. Pessimistic does not automatically equal realistic.
In fact, reality tends to fall in the middle most of the time, which usually makes it too boring for an interesting VN :P
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Mirrormn wrote:
Oddball wrote: Seems to me neither one is more honest than the other. Pessimistic does not automatically equal realistic.
In fact, reality tends to fall in the middle most of the time, which usually makes it too boring for an interesting VN :P
Can't say I can argue with that one. :lol:
Not Dead Yet
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Now now im not saying i dislike the writing in ks ..... i just gave the reason why i like the writing in kana better

if i could take shizune good ending .... misha got both dumped by hisao and shizune but she is perfectly happy being the best friend to both ... like nothing ever happened ... to me that a slap in the face .... like the ending to clannad after story ( ppl who watched knows what i mean ) ... all the bad endings where much better because they felt more open and honest
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

rydiafan wrote: ... all the bad endings where much better because they felt more open and honest
So your basically one of those "life sucks, the world is horrible, and the glass is half empty" types. That's not more honest than seeing things the other way. It's just more depressing.
Not Dead Yet
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Oddball wrote:
rydiafan wrote: ... all the bad endings where much better because they felt more open and honest
So your basically one of those "life sucks, the world is horrible, and the glass is half empty" types. That's not more honest than seeing things the other way. It's just more depressing.
when u point it out like that it does seem like i wanna jump out outta a window lol ... im truly am happy it my life right now ... but i just feel more connected to kana then KS ... can't really explain it any better then i did ... its just something about the story in kana that makes me ... idk peaceful by then end of it ( i know it sounds weird ... but the story in kana relaxed me ... after a good cry of course lol ) ... and as i said im in a happy place in my life right now ( after 5 years of hard work to get my butt in gear ) ... i just can't explain it lol
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

If I misjudged you I appologize. In the past, I've dealt with far too many people that tend to see the worse in everything without every noticing any of the good.

I still don't agree that it's more "honest", but we've all got our own tastes.
Not Dead Yet
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Oddball wrote:If I misjudged you I appologize. In the past, I've dealt with far too many people that tend to see the worse in everything without every noticing any of the good.

I still don't agree that it's more "honest", but we've all got our own tastes.
no worries .... and i wanna point out that there is nothing wrong with KS .. and as a whole vn KS is slighty better then kana ( better music , more characters , more chioces ) ... i just connect more with the writing/story in Kana ... and just because this is KS fourms doesn't mean i have to praise KS on a consent basis ( or is it law here lol )
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

In my opinion the last part of the discussion might induce a wrong impression, as if Kana - Little Sister is a totally depressing story, while Katawa Shoujo is a positive one. So let me give it a try to put this straight.

KS has a positive outlook on life, but it isn't unrealistic. It still tells a quite serious story (even though there are numerous hilarious scenes). For example, if the story ended with Hisao being healed in a miracle cure, it would be shallow. But KS isn't that superficial, by far; Hanako's burn scars don't go away, Rin doesn't grow arms, and Lilly doesn't suddenly gain eyesight. There are conflicts arising that need to be solved. But by and by his encounters with the girls help Hisao to understand his own situation better; even though his poor health will continue to cause restrictions for him, in the end he comes to terms with this new way of life. He still may die from cardiac arrest at a young age - we don't know. But he's found the willingness to accept the circumstances he has to live in now and to use the opportunities life still has to offer to him despite of the shortcomings the weakness of his body imposes on him.

In comparison, KLS is a much sadder story - in most endings, poor Kana dies. But even in those sad endings, when looking back on the time he spent with Kana, Taka does not simply draw the conclusion that life sucks; quite the contrary: he realizes the positive influence Kana has had on him and how much strength Kana has given him - and continues to give him even after she's gone. Love can even be stronger than death itself - that's the basic message of KLS.

Bad things do happen in life - inevitably. But it's up to us how we decide to deal with them: you still have the choice if you simply give up, or if you yet try to make the best out of your situation. This is a positive message these two visual novels have both in common. And that's the reason why I like both of them that much.

But I'll leave the last word to Kana herself:
Dialysis is painful. Heart failure is painful, too. But I don’t feel lonely. Because I’m fighting not alone.