Missing stereotypes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirrormn

Re: Missing stereotypes

Post by Mirrormn »

rydiafan wrote: i can go with that ... but does that mean he know sex with hanako was gonna happen right then and there ( i thought at least shizune would have demanded for hisao to wear protrection )
No, the condom in the wallet is simply a "just in case" preventative measure. The idea is "sex could happen to me at any time, with anyone, so I might as well be prepared". See cpl_crud's explanation.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

There was no martial-artist girl (typically an iaido, kendo or some-other-do). Pretty common in Anime/Manga.

No loli. Making sure Emi not fall into this category was a great move. No exagerately endowed one either.
inquisitivenegro wrote:The genius girl?
Yup, depending on a setting it's sometimes a hacker-girl, or mechanic-girl.

Which leads us onto a tomboy wanting to express her feminine side stereotype, also strong in the whole genre.

And it's definitely not the case of stereotypes actually missing. It would get really crowded if they tried to use every one of them.

Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Tempester wrote:Tsundere heroine. And I'm glad that KS did something different by not having one.
ehh...I think Shizune is a tsundere heroine.

Just not your typical 'tsun-tsun' heroine like Tohsaka Rin or Aisaka Taiga.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Paul Atreides

Post by Paul Atreides »

The thing is that if someone here misses those stereotypes that are pretty common in anime/VN/adolescent series. I believe one of the game's good points is the developers didn't go on the easy way. For example, how many boys white knighted girls in fiction and they end together?
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

No yandere in KS... thnx god for that too :)

as i recall there werent any 'cat' girls
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Post by Paddy »

Guest Poster wrote:The whole accidental pervert shenanigans that many anime/manga highschool stories tend to play straight. I'm talking about bumping into a girl and then viewing her panties (the only panty shot in the game is one that seems to be there for the audience and Hisao himself doesn't seem to see it), the protagonist tripping and accidentally groping/being airbagged by a girl's breasts. The main character accidentally walking in on a girl who's undressing/naked. (except that scene with Rin, but the mood in that one was way different from the typical example) An overactive girl doing the Haruhi-grope on a shy girl and complimenting her on her chest. That kind of thing. That and the teacher romantic interest. I'm thankful KS doesn't have these tropes though.
And how, brother.
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

I wonder what the stereotypes would be like if the creators had decided to include mental disabilities as well.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Titus

Post by Titus »

inquisitivenegro wrote:So we have the bookworm, the sports girl, the class president, the tea brewing girl, the artistic girl...

Where is the musically gifted girl?
Where is the delinquent?
The genius girl?

Feel free to come up with more "common harem choices" maybe you could even design your own character
They only gave main routes for the original girls from the very conception of this VN.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

rydiafan wrote:if we are talking about the sex itself ... the large breast ( though there was emi's mom ... just didn't see them ) ... except for hanako's ... we didnt see any of the girls special areas ( which was not a bad thing just saying ) ... no BJ's ( which i found kinda strange to be honest ... if hanako was gonna try to keep hisao through sex ....) ... ill list more if i can find them
if there were BJs the only one who we think would do it would be Rin
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Just as a note, this thread is about tropes, not stereotypes. Tropes are character and plot constructs that are commonly used in works of fictions. Stereotypes are attributes that are (often erroneously) ascribed to a specific race or group of people.

The missing trope that I was most surprised about is so obvious and prevalent in visual novels (well, I assume it is; I haven't actually played any other VNs) that you probably overlooked its absence: the reader-insert character. You're given some control over Hisao's actions, but he will often interpret your choice in a way you didn't intend, or just ignore it completely. And there are many situations where you're simply forced to sit and watch him handle situations poorly and make huge mistakes.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Comfort Misha...Sexually
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The missing trope that I was most surprised about is so obvious and prevalent in visual novels (well, I assume it is; I haven't actually played any other VNs) that you probably overlooked its absence: the reader-insert character. You're given some control over Hisao's actions, but he will often interpret your choice in a way you didn't intend, or just ignore it completely. And there are many situations where you're simply forced to sit and watch him handle situations poorly and make huge mistakes.
Actually, the protagonist's actions taking the plot into a direction the player wouldn't necessarily want is prevalent in several visual novels.

One very big example is Hitomi's route in "Hitomi: My Stepsister".

spoilers

If you step onto her route hoping you'll get to ease the shrinking violet that she is out of her shell, you're in for a rough ride. For most of the route, the protagonist is a complete and utter sociopath towards her and the one or two choices near the end that determine whether you'll get her good end or her bad end simply involve holding back your abuse at the last moment (good ending) or going through with it and breaking her completely. By the time you get there, however, the protagonist has already done so many deplorable things (without the player being able to do anything about it) I image a lot of players felt conflicted on whether to go for the good end where Hitomi gets better and have the progatonist get away with everything he did or pick one of the bad ends where the protagonist gets a savage beating, at Hitomi's expense.

So as far as Hisao doing stuff on occasion the player doesn't want him to...he doesn't really stand out from the VN-protagonist crowd there...but contrary to quite a few protagonists, Hisao's mistakes are all grounded in innocent naïvete or misguided, but good intentions instead of pervertedness or dickishness.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Another stereotype/troope I'm glad ain't made it to the game:
The Harlem Good Ending. I don't mind seeing Hisao a pimp and a playa in fanart, because that's played for laughs but in canon, no, I don't wanna see it, Mnless it was an extra scene with a very funny bad ending in which either Hisao catches a STD (would be funnier if he caught the STD from Hanako or Misha) or he winds up gettin' a girl knocked up and wind up paying for child support and becomes a dead beat father.

Another thing I wanna say about the lack of tsundere/Shizune being a tsundere:
I view Shizune as not being a tsudnere. She's a bitch. Nothing more, nothing less. She's not being a bitch to be cute and hide her feelings of love towards somebody. She is a bitch because her father's a jackass, she never really had that much friends because she's a deaf/mute, and she has a bit of an egoistical prideful matter about her.

And as a joke, be glad we didn't see any of these in this game:

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Oh wait...
Single Parent Rule
RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Snow_Storm wrote: Another thing I wanna say about the lack of tsundere/Shizune being a tsundere:
I view Shizune as not being a tsudnere. She's a bitch. Nothing more, nothing less. She's not being a bitch to be cute and hide her feelings of love towards somebody. She is a bitch because her father's a jackass, she never really had that much friends because she's a deaf/mute, and she has a bit of an egoistical prideful matter about her.

And as a joke, be glad we didn't see any of these in this game:

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Oh wait...
Single Parent Rule
RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.
Why...
whyy...
whyyy......

If there are fervent Lilly/Hanako defenders out there (and I believe there are), then I'm probably the more fervent Shizune defenders...1/200 ratio.

Read this:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 019#p88019

And then this:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 019#p88019
^
those are Jigoro.

and some of this:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5948#p89270
(my short quick-analysis of each route and its relation to the characters)

and this:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 180#p81600

then some of this:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 135#p69169
(my post before I became a member)

I'll find more--no, really. I'll find it, I still have ammo for this buried somewhere and I'll dig the crap out of it :cry:
...but that's my argument
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

The game plays with the stereotypes quite well, I think. Shizune, for example, is the tsundere without the deredere side, and the meganekko without the quiet side. Emi is the lolicon who's actually older than the rest of the cast (including the protagonist), and the catgirl who isn't the slightest bit feline. Lilly is the Yamato Nadeshiko who isn't Japanese, and if you bring older versions into play she's the musician without the musical ability. Hanako is simultaneously the scarred one and the cute one. Rin is the Cloudcuckoolander who knows it.

Personally, I think this is really neat.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.