Demo version of Song about Emi (now improved)

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Daitengu

Re: Recorded demo of song about Emi; give a listen?

Post by Daitengu »

oh? I'd like to hear it with you cats doing the whole song in one take per track instead of segmenting it.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

We had originally wanted to but she just learned the song that day and didn't feel confident enough to do it all in one take. With luck she'll be able to tomorrow!
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Come like us on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/cagedheartband
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Nightwish huh? Old or new Nightwish? My like depends on it! lol
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Both Nightwish! I prefer Anette but I've hella respect for Tarja, both with Nightwish and her solo career since.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

That answer makes me feel old lol. But ya didn't say only new, so I give ya ma like ;p
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Woo! I knew I was taking a chance there, since by that question you must have been a Tarja fan =P
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

yep, became a fan way back with Oceanborn.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

You've been a fan longer than I, in that case! I just got into them with Dark Passion Play ;)

Also, for anyone who may be reading this: Whose song would you like to hear next: Shizune, Rin, or Misha? We're going to work on Lilly's today, and then after that Hanako's is close to done, but we're unsure where to go after that. Misha's at least has a melody worked out but they're all largely unwritten, save the lyrics.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

May as well go with Misha since you got the melody.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Probably will do so. It's hard as hell to write for Rin, ya know that? =P
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Here's what the guitar/piano/singing teacher's ideas on the Emi song. Her preference style would be Motown/folk
I like the driving beat, and the melody and lyrics are fine. Not sure what to say about the singer, but she needs some training to be able to go beyond her level. I would re-do the mix myself, and have her sing very soft and breathy, placing her voice back in the mix a little, and less "up front". She could probably pull it off, if she did that and added some dynamics. Could only hear guitar mostly, but would imagine a cool fretless jazz bass on the song, to break it up a bit. Some alt drum beats and changes would help as well.
While training would be useful, it is rather expensive. Another route would just be to practice daily till you found your 'voice'(your expressive style & comfortable range).

In general regardless of instrument or vocals, the songs will only improve as you cats practice them to the point of having confidence to play them live.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Thanks! Hm, I don't remember if I mentioned or not, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but when we did that recording, she'd just come off of the flu, and also had already been singing for 9 hours before we recorded anything (that was only the first day; needed something recorded for the below link). We'll certainly work in more practice though. She's most used to singing in choir, and thus harmonizing and stuff, so it's probably a little overwhelming for her, I would imagine.
Last edited by Josh_Mac on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Josh_Mac wrote:Thanks, that means a lot! (My role was writing all the lyrics; helped write a bit of the music.) Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "grating?" If I understand correctly what you mean about flowing well, that could be due to the fact that we recorded everything in separate takes; each instrument track is made up of like 20 different, shorter segments all grafted together in Audacity. That's also part of the reason I think Haley sounds "puffy" at points: she recorded each couple lines separately.
Well, that would explain a lot of the choppiness I felt. The fact that you're all playing and singing separately means that you can't adjust and accord yourself to each other. I think it will sound much better if an all play together and do it in one take. If your singer or anyone else isn't feeling confident enough, you'll just have to memorise the song better and rehearse more, I'm afraid. You have to remember that you'll earn the most money out of your live performances, so get that right, then recording should be much easier.

Again, sorry if I sound harsh, but I hope my honest feelings will help you. I hope your singer gets better soon, and that you'll all be successful.

Edit: Oh, I listened to the updated version and it does sound a bit better, but still ,, in the beginning there's a part where the melody of the guitar and the voice don' t align well. Also "... And I can accept that, with a smile ..." how about shortening that to "And I accept that, with a smile" ? It feels at that point you have too many syllables in the lyrics.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Josh_Mac

Re: Demo version of Song about Emi (now improved)

Post by Josh_Mac »

We're hoping to do some future stuff in a single take, all together, but unfortunately that's a bit tough as the guitarist lives in Denver, 200 miles away, and none of us can really afford to transit back and forth. He came down for the duration of last week and we got a number of songs written and the vocals for "Sun Shine" recorded, but unfortunately that's it. Also makes live performances a bit less feasible for the time being, unfortunately.

And nah, not harsh, it's the kind of feedback we're looking for.

I agree about the syllable count. Originally, we had the structure different: instead of "Now I/Can accept that/With a smile," we had it divided into "Now I/Can ac/cept that with a smile;" put the emphasis on the second syllable with the downbeat. Considering changing the wording there already, seems to be a popular idea.