Demo version of Song about Emi (now improved)

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Josh_Mac

Demo version of Song about Emi (now improved)

Post by Josh_Mac »

I, as well as a couple other friends, under the band name "Caged Heart," obviously after the song name, are going to be recording an EP of KS-inspired music over this week and the next couple. Lyrics are all written, as well as about half the music. We just need to get our actual vocalist in (she's been ill) and finish the other three songs, and then we'll be all done! I'm posting here early in part to hopefully spark some interest (we're going to start a Kickstarter to hopefully raise some money to get some actual studio time) and put the album up for download on Bandcamp when it's finished.

However, there is one side note for posting here: We still need an album cover, and are hopeful that perhaps there's someone on here who'd like to contribute an original creation that will be used as the cover, as well as perhaps a logo. If you're interested, please post here or contact us at cagedheartband@gmail.com

Thanks!

Edit: First demo can be found here! http://soundcloud.com/josh_mccathern/su ... final-demo

Edit edit: Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/cagedheartband
Last edited by Josh_Mac on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Daitengu

Re: Soon to be an EP

Post by Daitengu »

I think you get more interest once people can get inspiration for you're rendition.

Jazzy would have a different feel than rock for example.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Yeah, for sure. We'll hopefully have Emi's song done today. Mostly wanted to get the word out and at least have some people know it exists.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Um... are you sure the devs are OK with this?
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Yes. Here, read what they stated when asked before. We're in no way claiming to be official, and will be using original artwork, so it's all good.
Suriko wrote:Q: I saw this game for sale. Are you selling this now?
A: No. Four Leaf Studios is not charging for Katawa Shoujo, and never will. If you see anyone selling Katawa Shoujo, charging for "official" merchandise, or using game assets in their for-sale items, please report them. Selling fanworks that do not use official content (including the KS logo) and do not pretend to be official is okay.
With that, the first demo is completed! Please, give a listen and tell us what you think.
http://soundcloud.com/josh_mccathern/su ... final-demo
Last edited by Josh_Mac on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

The art I'd imagine that would go with that particular song would be a 30 degree camera angle view of Emi from above. Where Emi would be sitting in spring field, legs extended(running legs), while looking at the camera with a smile. Of course, what comes to mind changes with different songs. It'll be interesting to try and sum up the whole album with a single picture.

Critique from a guy who had to be 'the sound guy' for a veteran band for a couple years heh.

-The vocalist could use a little bit less trailing off. She gets washed out because of it around 2:55 to 330

-She also could use a breath guard as there were a few times where she puffed into the mic.

-The rhythm acoustic guitar washed out the vocalist in spots when the guitarist gets a bit too strong. It's inconsistent so I think it's just a matter of practicing volume control while playing. Around 2:00 to 2:30

It's fine in a live performance, but it's stuff to keep in mind if you plan to hit a studio. Hope the outside ear help.
Josh_Mac

Re: Song About Emi

Post by Josh_Mac »

I actually really like that idea for an album cover. I've been considering having one picture per girl in the booklet, and perhaps a collage or something as the cover.

Also, thanks for your advice! One thing we've heard multiple times is issues with EQ and mixing. Ours was done quickly in Audacity, and Sam intends to do a better job of it once he gets home here in the next couple days. I think the "trailing off" bit comes from recording each verse as a separate track; she was just getting over a cold (literally her first day of anything close to being able to sing) and thus we decided to do it all piece by piece. Hadn't heard the mention of a breath guard before, will definitely look into it!
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Josh_Mac wrote:I actually really like that idea for an album cover. I've been considering having one picture per girl in the booklet, and perhaps a collage or something as the cover.

Also, thanks for your advice! One thing we've heard multiple times is issues with EQ and mixing. Ours was done quickly in Audacity, and Sam intends to do a better job of it once he gets home here in the next couple days. I think the "trailing off" bit comes from recording each verse as a separate track; she was just getting over a cold (literally her first day of anything close to being able to sing) and thus we decided to do it all piece by piece. Hadn't heard the mention of a breath guard before, will definitely look into it!
Ah, I'd like to hear how she sounds once she fully recovers.

It's just a screen that's set a few inches away from the mic. I've even seen MacGyver'ed ones. One was just a swatch from a old T-shirt wrapping around a modified coat hanger lol.

It's only really used in recording, so there's no point in getting something expensive. just go for something that stops the breathing and puffs, while keeping good vocals and you're golden.

You could play around with equalizing at home with Adobe premiere if you have the tracks separate. Just so you can get an idea on it.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Daitengu wrote: It's just a screen that's set a few inches away from the mic. I've even seen MacGyver'ed ones. One was just a swatch from a old T-shirt wrapping around a modified coat hanger lol.

It's only really used in recording, so there's no point in getting something expensive. just go for something that stops the breathing and puffs, while keeping good vocals and you're golden.
Wait, we already have a pop filter; are the same thing? (Sorry, new to this so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology)
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Josh_Mac wrote: Wait, we already have a pop filter; are the same thing? (Sorry, new to this so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology)
I live in Kansas, it's probably just a regional thing. like pop, soda, and cold drink lol.

Huh, so you have one and I still hear breaths and puffs. Maybe it was just that since she was recovering from cold she was breathing harder while singing. I'll probably have to hear her perform again once she's 100% before I can say then. I'm not exactly in a position to give singing advice, I can only comment on what I hear.

I could try to pass the song by a singer/musician and see what she thinks if you want me to.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

It'd be much appreciated. I think she took it kinda hard that a lot of the initial response just said she sounds "alright" at best or whatever; I think anything that could help her improve would do wonders.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Josh_Mac wrote:It'd be much appreciated. I think she took it kinda hard that a lot of the initial response just said she sounds "alright" at best or whatever; I think anything that could help her improve would do wonders.
I'm not a singing coach, so I can't give the best advice, gunna have to wait on my friends to get back to me with in-depth critiques.

I will say this, I won't post generic blasting. I only post what I think could be helpful. I don't know anyone history, so please don't take offense if I accidentally step on a landmine.

At any rate, I messaged a few musician friends. I may or may not get a reply in a timely manner. Musicians and their crazy lives lol.
-One plays electric, acoustic, and bass guitars. As well as drums, upright base, and some vocals. About ten years off and on in different bands.
-The second plays electric guitar only, graduated from a university with a music degree, and has been a sound guy for few years,and been in a band for 5 years.
-The third, plays Acoustic and electric guitars, piano, and sings(classically trained singer). She been in bands off and on for 30 years. She teaches acoustic, piano, and singing.

I hope all three can give me some good advice to relay.

ps: Third said she'll get to it on Sunday, she's got a memorial service to play for a friend tomorrow.

pss: hearing it for the 9th time, I think the verse "And I can accept that with a smile" might be one syllable too long for the note played on "accept". Could you try it with "And I can take that with a smile" and tell me if it sounds better?

psss: got a bit of chat from #2. here's his quote
She is on pitch, she just needs to open up a bit and not hold back any. I can tell she is stifling a bit, that is what makes her sing too much from her nasal cavity and not from her mouths resonance chamber
Josh_Mac

Re: Recorded demo of song about Emi; give a listen?

Post by Josh_Mac »

Wow, that's wonderful! Thank you very, very much. Please, pass along my/our gratitude to those to whom you show it.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Well, I loved the Lyrics and the vocalist souds nice. But somehow the melodies don't seem to "flow" completely. I felt something grating, escpecially at the start of the song, particularly with the guitars? Sorry if that sounds harsh.... All in all this song is not bad as it it, and I appreciate your efforts. I hope you'll all keep going at it.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Thanks, that means a lot! (My role was writing all the lyrics; helped write a bit of the music.) Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "grating?" If I understand correctly what you mean about flowing well, that could be due to the fact that we recorded everything in separate takes; each instrument track is made up of like 20 different, shorter segments all grafted together in Audacity. That's also part of the reason I think Haley sounds "puffy" at points: she recorded each couple lines separately.