Hanako
14%
Akira
6%
Miki
1%

Total votes: 466

Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Re: Best Mother ??

Post by Paddy »

Macchiato Joe wrote:Everyone knows that only Kenji can be a good mother to Hisao's children.
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

GIRakaCHEEZER wrote:I don't know if that would be all that good. What if Shizune ends up becoming like her father raising her child? Because of Jigoro, I'm not sure that Shizune would become a good mother.
Remember that Jigoro is portrayed as a single-father, and that Shizune's mother is not mentioned (I think it was mentioned that she died on her early age). Jigoro is an interesting character--you can't understand what's going on between him and Shizune unless you get through 'the father' first. Jigoro loves Shizune--albeit a little too much. He cares for her, is proud of her, but is unable to communicate or express it to her because of the language barrier between them AND the balance a 'complete' family provides (a father, mother, xxnumber of child). He hired the tutors just so he could communicate DIRECTLY with her without the use of notepad (even better, he wants to hear the word 'daddy' from her for the FIRST TIME). Jigoro loves Shizune, and considering how he lost her mother when she is young, he is conditioned to be protective of her in fear of losing Shizune--ESPECIALLY against her friends who knows how to communicate with her DIRECTLY (Hisao, in particular). If I were to summarize, Jigoro is your a-typical 'tsundere' father, where he plays as that ass-hat (tsun) when she is around her friends, but play the loving, caring father (dere) when it's just him, her, and the family.

Besides, if Jigoro really is an ass-hat/scumbag/wtv, he wouldn't listen to Hisao's advice and would not even consider visiting the student council officer in Yamaku; he loves her, is proud of her, and wants to understand and speak to her, but he doesn't know how to respond properly or is shy. Probably one of the most misunderstood character in the KS universe.

Now, back to Shizune.
True, Shizune is--as I concluded--the 'High Expectations Asian Mother', and thus she would push her son/daughter to the limit to be the best. But this doesn't mean she doesn't love them, or doesn't mean she won't show any affection to them. Remember, Shizune is also described as fair and just and thus, considering her personality, the limit she would push her children would be to the best of their ability and to their interest. True, she would most likely have her son/daughter take extra lessons in Piano, language, etc., but that is within the parameters of their capability--if they aren't capable of it or interested in it, she'd definitely drop it. She's also the type who would highly support her children's dream as long as it is beneficial to them and is in the right path--she'd definitely feel very proud if her children reached that goal and made a name out of it. At times, her children would most likely ran away from her and to Hisao's open arm as he is--from what I considered--more lenient and understanding; this in turn creates that dynamic and fulfill that equation of a 'complete' family. She might be strict, often times pushy, but other than that she'll probably be the most understanding and caring mother out of the rest of the candidates.

...yeah, Shizune still wins my vote.

Hanako, on the other hand, would be your typical perfect, balanced mother. Not too strict, not too soft, but hit just the right spot. Her child will grow up being whatever they want, and would still lead a happy life.

On the contrary, Lilly's child would be less than feasible in contrast with Hanako or Shizune's. She might have that motherly nature and tendencies, but her character would often prevent her from showing discipline when necessary--that, and pair it with her lack of sight meant her child could often get away with whatever they did and escape unnoticed. Unless Hisao actually step-up and take 'head', I say Lilly's child has a higher chance to end up as a rebel to them.
Macchiato Joe wrote:Everyone knows that only Kenji can be a good mother to Hisao's children.
What if it's a girl?

"Dad, uncle Kenji said that I'm a feminist and that he'll bring a toy called See-four for me to play with! What's a feminist?"
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Sethkowns

Post by Sethkowns »

Hanako, Lily, and Akira. As Hanako would never harm a fly. Lily and Akira are very polite and gentle.
"I was warned that he was not only invincible, but strong enough to probably destory the building with a punch, or at least knock over the painting hanging in the hallway." Hideaki

Favorite Routes in Order: 1. Hanako 2. Lily 3. Emi 4. Kenji 5. Rin 6. Shizune
Game completion: 100% and aiming to still redo everyone's route.
Favorite Girl: Hanako!!!!!!!!
Royale

Post by Royale »

I chose Lilly, Rin, and Misha.

Lilly because she's Lilly. A very mature and kind individual who I'm sure would be the kind of person to always have her children's best interest at heart. I don't see her being the kind of mother to have an extremely personal relationship with her children; but, rather, a relationship that puts their well being before friendship. She'd raise some good, respectful, kids.

Rin. Now, I chose her because she's a different and unique individual. She may have some trouble as her disability could hinder her quite a bit - But, she would have people to assist her. Plus, I chose her based on an emotional aspect. She'd be the kind of parent to teach her children things that many parents often overlook; open mindedness and originality. People don't understand her well, and so she'd be very accepting of her children, however they would be.

Misha; a bubbly carefree individual. She would be a good mother in the sense that she'd want her kids to enjoy life and have fun; I imagine she'd have a bit of an impersonal relationship with them, but always be there for them regardless, which is very important in parenting. She could teach her children to be accepting of other people; To disregard disabilities and care for the person as they are { I believe that she is without disability - and she socialized and fell in love with a disabled person without batting an eye. So, I can see her passing on these qualities to her children }.

Putting it in order of who would be the best mom;

1 } Rin. { Though Lilly was the one who came to mind first, I believe Rin would ultimately do the better job in an emotional aspect. }
2 } Lilly.
3 } Misha.

Now, I also think Hanako would be a good mother. But not right away - - She has quite a lot of work to do before she's emotionally fit enough to raise children. In a good few years though, I could see her being a very good mom. Somebody who would always be there for her kids emotionally and do anything and everything to protect them - When the time is right, that is. She would also know not to shelter them too much and know to give them space. She'd be fourth on my list~

Now, Shizune, even though I'm not too fond of her character, would also be a rather decent mom. { Number five, in my book~ } She'd be strict with her kids and push them to do their best; not be THE best, but be the best that they can be. So, a good mother, but a bit tough on the kids~
I couldn't really picture Emi being a good mom
Favorite routes ;
Rin > Hanako = Lilly > Emi = Shizune
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I put Lilly, Akira and Shizune. Why?
Because Yuuko is a mess. She can't even take care of her problems, let alone those of a child.
Miki... We didn't get to know Miki. All we know is that she is kind of like Emi in personality, just a bit more mature but also more self-conscious over her disability (Maybe it's because she JUST got transfered, like Hisao?).
Rin would be too imprevisible to work.
Hanako would be too afraid to have children because she would probably think they would hate her for her scars.
Misha probably won't have children unless they're adopted.
And I don't think a long-term relationship with Emi would work..

Anyway, Akira's got a stable job.
Lilly has her motherly instincts.
And Shizune, is, well, Shizune. If her children don't get crazy over her disciplining, they would pass through school with flying colors and then get a job they like with no difficulty.
Couchto5k Progress:
Kind-of-complete, increasing speed now.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

I think the main five would all be good mothers really. Lilly/Emi/Shizune would be fairly "standard" mothers (ie loving and awesome, no problems) but Hanako and Rin seem like the two who would really change in response to their kids.

Hanako would have a family to care for which I think would really benefit her greatly. She wouldn't feel like a broken person being protected when she herself is being so utterly depended on by a child. Plus having a family will likely help alot with her memories of her own past and all the problems that stem from it. That combined with her very gentle loving nature really seems like it would work beautifully.

Rin... Well Rin would be where you need to decide what being a mother is. From a physical standpoint Rin seems like the least able mother. No arms and a mind that often misses practical things (like food and sleep) means alot of the burden would fall to Hisao. From an emotional standpoint however? I could easily see Rin's every waking moment being dedicated to her child. Where before she would sit watching the sky or trees she'd now spend her time watching her baby. She would also probably be one of the most gentle and patient parents I could imagine. If being a mother meant unconditional love and support I think Rin could do that... In her own way.
Last edited by Murkglow on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Murkglow wrote:Of course her disability would be the worst physically for caring for her child (Hisao would have to help alot) but I think it could work out.
Oh, you way be surprised how not obvious it might really be. Also some narrow minded people might argue if Lily woudn't be more restricted in caring for her child. Me myself, I wouldn't even compare it to the case of, say, alcoholism.

And to be honest it's the only problem there is - people knowing better what is good for disabled parents' children.
Murkglow

Post by Murkglow »

NoOne3 wrote:Oh, you way be surprised how not obvious it might really be.
That's true, I honestly have no clue how easy/not easy various tasks would be for Rin (and the others). Picking up her baby would surely require her mouth if she wanted to move anywhere (mental image of Rin walking around with a baby hanging from her mouth in my head right now) and maybe she could change a diaper with her feet (I'd feel very sorry for her if she had to use her mouth there). All that said I do stand by the idea that she would have the hardest time of the five. Lilly has shown she is quite capable to do most things that don't directly require sight (like reading labels) so I don't think she quite edges Rin out there... Then again that's just my rambling.
Favorite Routes:
Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

A little word about Akira, she could have allowed her parents to leave Lilly with her grandparents and had a much easier life, but she chose to stick with Lilly and take care of her herself. Seeing that Akira was probably still in school at the time, having to finish your studies/work hard AND take care of your blind sister (and still worry afterwards you didn't look after her enough) can't be easy. Say what you will about her unrefined personality and willingness to get teenagers drunk out of their mind, but when the chips are down, Akira's got a responsible streak that's very impressive indeed.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Would Misha be willing to be a surrogate mother to other couples? This could potentially make her infinite mothers
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:Would Misha be willing to be a surrogate mother to other couples? This could potentially make her infinite mothers
Infinite mothers...?

She already has 'unlimited drill works', now there's going to be 'unlimited baby works' too...?
...kinky...

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Bgfan

Post by Bgfan »

Emi

Lilly would be choice number 2, however she is far too impulsive and has a tendency to take a liking to bad habits.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Murkglow wrote:
NoOne3 wrote:Oh, you way be surprised how not obvious it might really be.
That's true, I honestly have no clue how easy/not easy various tasks would be for Rin (and the others). Picking up her baby would surely require her mouth if she wanted to move anywhere (mental image of Rin walking around with a baby hanging from her mouth in my head right now) and maybe she could change a diaper with her feet (I'd feel very sorry for her if she had to use her mouth there). All that said I do stand by the idea that she would have the hardest time of the five. Lilly has shown she is quite capable to do most things that don't directly require sight (like reading labels) so I don't think she quite edges Rin out there... Then again that's just my rambling.
The kid would have a harness on at all times for Rin's teeth to grip.

The kid would grow up wanting to wear suspenders all the time, because that's how they feel loved.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:
The kid would have a harness on at all times for Rin's teeth to grip.

The kid would grow up wanting to wear suspenders all the time, because that's how they feel loved.
Can arrhythmia be passed down? Because if we're talking about Rin and Hisao's child in his/her later stages, Rin just have to rest her head on her child's shoulder and say "I'm hugging you".

Bam, instant funeral for the kid (thanks arrhythmia)

SHII-HAEL!
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Hanako: I can see Hanako possibly having what it takes to be a good mother, though she still has some issues to get over first, especially the shut in bit around her birthday.
Emi: Has potential, but also has some issues to deal with. My niece played in a neighborhood softball league when she was little and I've been to several of her games. If Emi can avoid being one of those spastic parents that thinks thier kid is going to be the next 'insert sport of choice here' superstar then she will likely be a good parent. Some of the things I've seen at those games really made me feel sorry for some of those kids.

Shizune: Could go either way but may have some overbearing tendencies she'll need to try to reign in. It really depends on what she learned about parenting from growing up with Jigoro. Did she learn how to raise a child or did she learn how not to raise a child? The answer to that question will answer how good of a mother she would be.

Rin: Should not be a mother at all. She could easily become distracted with cloud watching or painting and forget she even has a child. Would likely be neglectful and unable to provide the supervision necessary to take care of a child, especially when it's old enough to start walking.

Lilly: Would hire a nanny to raise it until it's old enough to attend school, then ship it off to a boarding school, and spend her days passed out drunk on the couch. It was good enough for her so it's good enough for her kid.