Akira
6%
Miki
1%

Total votes: 466

NoOne3

Re: Best Mother ??

Post by NoOne3 »

newnar wrote:Hanako would know what a mother's gotta do.
Rin's parenting is best parenting. :)

Edit:
- Dad? What did mom meant by that?
- Haven't got the slightest idea son. Why?
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

I guess Lilly will have to accept her mother of the year award while at her AA meeting. :mrgreen:
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Lilly and Hanako, in my opinion.
2 mile+ walk each day.
Days: 30
Days Missed: 1 (due to rain)
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

NoOne3 wrote:
newnar wrote:Hanako would know what a mother's gotta do.
Rin's parenting is best parenting. :)

Edit:
- Dad? What did mom meant by that?
- Haven't got the slightest idea son. Why?
Indeed. The child will grow up instantly because of his dire need to be self-sufficient. That's brilliant!
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

I get the impression that while Shizune may not win Mother Of The Year.
She'd be more than capable of the job.

Since if she did become a mother it would be on her terms, and given her attitude.
I can envision her making the best efforts towards the well being of her child.

As for Lilly, well she is a Yamato Nadeshiko after all even if she is Blind
For Queen and Country
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Hmm...'best mother' eh...?

From my standpoint, Lilly has pretty much passed this qualification as being a 'mother' for her motherly nature.
BUT can she actually raise her daughter without spoiling her too much? She's kind, understanding, caring, but often times I get the impression her daughter will get away with her bad attitude/character due to her leniency and lack of sight. Lilly may have the motherly instinct, but her character will often be in the way of her disciplining her daughter/son/child. In the end, her child most likely will distance themselves from Lilly and will fill this 'disconnect' between them until amended.

Hanako? You'll never know--having a child often times is reported to awaken your motherly instinct. Hell, I even believe Hanako would be a better mother than Lilly. She'd most likely be the compassionate, slightly protective mother who can get a little strict if required. I'd say from my standpoint, she'd be your everyday parent. Not too strict, not too kind, but also not too forceful--just right.

Rin can be an interesting one to look on. Her creative imagination would certainly rub on to her son/daughter/child, and if so I'm guessing she's the type who would sit beside her child every night and tell them weird bedtime stories that--although beautiful or cute--they won't understand until they're old enough (maybe a story about birds and bees and how storks came to be, but they're too young to understand that). She'll be the mother who'll put a lot of care to her child, but often times will leave her ignored if Rin is swamped with her own work and stress.

Emi will be your soccer mom, that highly enthusiastic mother who will encourage her son/daughter/child in any activity that they take. Got a school festival going? She's there! A school field trip? Right away! Organizing a parent association meeting to ensure your child does not end up in the tool shed with a lube? Ooh...definitely. Her child would most likely feel very-very embarrassed by their friends since Emi would often poke her nose around her child's problem and social issues, nonetheless her child will grow up to respect her. She's the loving mother, for short.

Shizune is my fave. Bias? Maybe. But if you know about the 'High Expectations Asian Father' meme, then now is a good time to make the 'High Expectations Asian Mother' version of it. Shizune would be strict, often times would expect highly of her child to accomplish something great--but keep in mind that this is all done for the benefit of her child's future. She's the type who would think ahead and would push her child to the limit, maybe to the verge of her child breaking down and crying to their much more lenient father's arm (which in turn will create this dynamic between Shizune and Hisao how 'Hisao is too kind' or how 'Shizune is too strict'). But in the end, when her child gets to college or university, they will realize that what Shizune had done to her through her rigorous spartan-like training and education had benefit and granted them more skill than what they can ask for, and thus will have a very-very bright future shining for them.

Shizune's strict and has high expectations, but overall it is for the benefit of her child. In the long run, her child will come out as the best--not to mention the dynamic created between Shizune and Hisao as a balance.

so Shizune wins my vote
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Megumeru wrote:Hmm...'best mother' eh...?

<Lots of text>

so Shizune wins my vote
I'd say you're pretty spot on here. Measured from an objective standpoint, Shizune would definitely be the mother to produce the most "successful" child. I also agree that Lilly might not be as good of a mother as many in this thread seem to think. Sure, she exhibits motherly tendencies in the game, but she is also occasionally selfish and distant.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Mirrormn wrote:
I also agree that Lilly might not be as good of a mother as many in this thread seem to think. Sure, she exhibits motherly tendencies in the game, but she is also occasionally selfish and distant.
Someone had to repost this...

whoever made this, you're a genius.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Megumeru wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:
I also agree that Lilly might not be as good of a mother as many in this thread seem to think. Sure, she exhibits motherly tendencies in the game, but she is also occasionally selfish and distant.

Haha, I love that image.

Anyways, Lilly seems classy and altogether, but she's very whimsical and somewhat unstable. She takes a while to burst, but once she does, it's fearsome. She's also the type to be overprotective. Well, I suppose any mom would be overprotective to her children if her husband was prone to heart attacks. :lol:
Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Post by Paddy »

Megumeru wrote:
Mirrormn wrote:

You're missing something:

I think the reason (or at least, one reason) people think Lilly's such a good mother is because Hisao describes her as having motherly tendencies here and there throughout the arc - by which, I think, they mean she's kind and merciful.

But I really do think Emi, with that gung-ho, get-yer-butt-outta-bed-in-the-morning attitude of hers, would be a far better mother.

Lilly is like an ice-cream cake, and Emi is like a beef-and-vegetable soup; Lilly's sweeter and more tantalizing than Emi, but Emi is still delicious - and she's good for you, too! ;D
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

would be strict, often times would expect highly of her child to accomplish something great--but keep in mind that this is all done for the benefit of her child's future.
Part of that scares me. I actually know a family where the dad had that "push his children to be the best"-thing going on and one son actually ended up developing a complex because he felt he could never live up to his dad's expectations and didn't handle the continuous burden well. I'm not saying Shizune would be a bad mother, she'd obviously take her role very seriously and Shizune's a very responsible person, but I do hope she learned from the student council exodus that not every person wants to live his life her way and it's easy to drive people away if you push them too hard.

About the others:

Lilly's motherly tendencies are obvious and she's obviously kind and loving...she'd be a good mother as long as she'd remember not to smother her kids too much.

Emi's mothering tendencies came bubbling up near the end of Act 1, where she strong-armed Hisao into her training and dietary schedule. Emi's the kind of straight-forward "eat your goddamn veggies" mom. She's pretty responsible and easy-going at the same time, she'd just need to lay off the cussing in order to set a good example.

Hanako's maternal instincts are touched upon slightly when it's mentioned she used to be a bit of a parental substitute for the younger kids at the orphanage, which is really impressive seeing she had her own issues too. Hanako'd be a very loving mother with an appreciation for her new family beyond any of the other girls and she'd probably be somewhat middle of the road, not too strict, not too smothering. She WOULD have to get over her panic attacks though.

I'm a bit on the fence with Rin. While I have no doubt she'd love her kids a lot, KS repeatedly shows Rin has very little sense of responsibility and the fact Rin lives a fairly regular life is partially because Emi is constantly pushing Rin to attend class and eat regularly. Rin's probably the person who'd have to develop most in order to be a good parent.
GIRakaCHEEZER

Post by GIRakaCHEEZER »

Megumeru wrote:Shizune is my fave. Bias? Maybe. But if you know about the 'High Expectations Asian Father' meme, then now is a good time to make the 'High Expectations Asian Mother' version of it. Shizune would be strict, often times would expect highly of her child to accomplish something great--but keep in mind that this is all done for the benefit of her child's future. She's the type who would think ahead and would push her child to the limit, maybe to the verge of her child breaking down and crying to their much more lenient father's arm (which in turn will create this dynamic between Shizune and Hisao how 'Hisao is too kind' or how 'Shizune is too strict'). But in the end, when her child gets to college or university, they will realize that what Shizune had done to her through her rigorous spartan-like training and education had benefit and granted them more skill than what they can ask for, and thus will have a very-very bright future shining for them.

Shizune's strict and has high expectations, but overall it is for the benefit of her child. In the long run, her child will come out as the best--not to mention the dynamic created between Shizune and Hisao as a balance.
I don't know if that would be all that good. What if Shizune ends up becoming like her father raising her child? Because of Jigoro, I'm not sure that Shizune would become a good mother.
Guest Poster wrote:I'm a bit on the fence with Rin. While I have no doubt she'd love her kids a lot, KS repeatedly shows Rin has very little sense of responsibility and the fact Rin lives a fairly regular life is partially because Emi is constantly pushing Rin to attend class and eat regularly. Rin's probably the person who'd have to develop most in order to be a good parent.
Rin's sort of at a disadvantage with those things, since she needs the help to get up in the morning and to eat. Similarily she'd have a physical disadvantage raising a child, probably one of the worst of the girls.
She shows responsibility to her work (or extreme dedication at least), but then she shows a lack of responsibility at the exhibit if you get the good ending. Assuming the child was important to her, I would think she'd show responsibility in caring for it.
Music for a game that I am sort of working on:
Moustache Riders - Ignition
This seems to be sort of common in sigs here so...
Rin = Kenji > Hanako > Emi > Lilly > Shizune
YouGuysAreWeird

Post by YouGuysAreWeird »

I haven't been on all the routes, so I wouldn't know the distinct personality of each character. However, I would like to say that although Lilly's path was my favorite, I think that Misha would be a good mother. If act 1 Shizune/Misha have shown me anything, it's that Misha is always helping Shizune out (IE, responsibility and dependability), and generally happy. A child of hers would then end up having a positive outlook on life and its woes, be independent, and a great ability to adapt.
SeriouslyWhat

Post by SeriouslyWhat »

Darn you, edit feature!

I realize that while I gave my personal reasons on why I think Misha would be a good mother, I forgot to give my reasons for why she'd be the best one. Well... My memory may be bad on this, but look at her. If you take away Shizune...Gah, it's hard to put this into words. Simply, Misha has a flexible quality in her that I believe a good mother needs, but I don't believe Lilly, Hanako, or Shizune possess this trait in addition to their own.
Macchiato Joe

Post by Macchiato Joe »

Everyone knows that only Kenji can be a good mother to Hisao's children.
"Nigga she a tea." - Macchiato Joe on Lilly