Blindness (Lilly)
19%
Deaf (Shizune)
8%
Loss of Legs (Emi)
40%
No Hands (Rin)
4%
Hanako's (not sure what it is yet, havent gotten to the story yet)
29%

Total votes: 142

Wander

Re: Which disability would you want?

Post by Wander »

ShadeHaven wrote:I'm surprised at how many people would choose to lose their legs. True, their function could be replaced but, It's still a part of me that I wouldn't willingly give up.
Yup, I think it's ridiculous that people would choose that over mere scarring. Scarring changes nothing!
newnar

Post by newnar »

Wander wrote:
ShadeHaven wrote:I'm surprised at how many people would choose to lose their legs. True, their function could be replaced but, It's still a part of me that I wouldn't willingly give up.
Yup, I think it's ridiculous that people would choose that over mere scarring. Scarring changes nothing!
Perhaps it's the notion of the PROCESS of scarring that puts people off? Unless you're like this
Libra

Post by Libra »

what the fucking kind of question is this?
:/

You are either trolling or stupid.
Last edited by Libra on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PikKirby

Post by PikKirby »

OP needs to rename this topic.
To something like: "Which disability would you least hate if you were in some "accident"?" or something.

This thread can be interpreted as extremely insensitive or insulting to those with different circumstances.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

PikKirby wrote:OP needs to rename this topic.
To something like: "Which disability would you least hate if you were in some "accident"?" or something.

This thread can be interpreted as extremely insensitive or insulting to those with different circumstances.
Your wording seems more offensive, to be honest...

Personally, I think the intended interpretation of this thread is pretty obvious. Of course nobody (sane) wants to be disabled, so the tacit implication behind the decision presented in the poll is that you are forced to decide. "Which disability would you want, if you had to choose one?" would be a slightly more accurate title, sure, but the people who come here and are honestly confused about the intentions of the OP baffle me.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Libra

Post by Libra »

Mirrormn wrote:
PikKirby wrote:OP needs to rename this topic.

Your wording seems more offensive, to be honest...

Personally, I think the intended interpretation of this thread is pretty obvious. Of course nobody (sane) wants to be disabled, so the tacit implication behind the decision presented in the poll is that you are forced to decide. "Which disability would you want, if you had to choose one?" would be a slightly more accurate title, sure, but the people who come here and are honestly confused about the intentions of the OP baffle me.
It's not about being confused, it just the nature of the question is stupid.
Libra

Post by Libra »

Alexbond45 wrote:It is not implied you will receive prosthetic limbs upon losing your legs, you would have to spend your own money to get them,
Not me, I have healthcare where I am, plus War Amps, The Lion Society and the unions cover whatever left. :)
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

Gosh, well any of these would be just awful to get ajusted to if they happened.

Anyway let me see. Deafness and Blindness are out, as i work throwing boxes for an shipping company. Blindness and i could not do my job, would probably get run over by a freight container, deafness i could possibly do my job, but it would still be a huge saftey hazard and others would have to watch out for me. My hobbies are video games and music though, so deafness (no music) or Blindness(no videogames) would depress me the most out of these. I would probably be reassigned a new job at my work anyway though.

No hands would frustrate the hell out of me, and once again no video games(could get good at DDR), and i loose a ton of independence which would annoy me, plus no computer use. I couldnt do my job or drive...so i would need to be driven. I could maybe get reassigned to a different job though.

No legs would be pretty hard too though, but it may be the most manageable. I could still do my hobbies and there is a position i could do with my job that i could sit down. I could eventually pretty normally so i think it would be one i would deal with the best.

The scars for me personally would be pretty bad i think. I dont generally have high self esteem and would probably be pretty self conscious about my scarring. Dating would probably come to a screeching halt for me, as i would probably not feel attractive enough for that, despite what others may tell me. I think it would be a huge mental thing for me that i probably could not get past.

So i hate to choose one but i think i would deal with the loss of my legs the best.
Wander

Post by Wander »

^I don't get that. How is scarring gonna affect your self-esteem more than loss of legs! Friggin legs! Seriously guys, take a look at your legs, would you really be ready to rather give them up than just have a third of your body scarred. In scarring you lose none of your potential to do physical things, it's only superficial. Even with prosthetics, losing legs puts great limits to things you can do. I think it's absolutely nuts that the loss of legs is leading the poll.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Wander wrote:^I don't get that. How is scarring gonna affect your self-esteem more than loss of legs! Friggin legs! Seriously guys, take a look at your legs, would you really be ready to rather give them up than just have a third of your body scarred. In scarring you lose none of your potential to do physical things, it's only superficial. Even with prosthetics, losing legs puts great limits to things you can do. I think it's absolutely nuts that the loss of legs is leading the poll.
Did you ever see the Exteme Makeover: Home Edition with the soldier who had lost a leg? You can't wear your prosthetics all day or (as we saw with Emi) you start to hurt and then bleed and then get infected. When he needed to get things done but couldn't bear to wear the leg any more he had to sort of maneuver around the house, up and down stairs, hopping. It was so upsetting to watch.
Wander

Post by Wander »

I haven't seen that, but that exactly what I would expect. I think a lot of people have just got a sort of wrong image of Emi's disability from the game. It's not that easy.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Wander wrote:^I don't get that. How is scarring gonna affect your self-esteem more than loss of legs! Friggin legs! Seriously guys, take a look at your legs, would you really be ready to rather give them up than just have a third of your body scarred. In scarring you lose none of your potential to do physical things, it's only superficial. Even with prosthetics, losing legs puts great limits to things you can do. I think it's absolutely nuts that the loss of legs is leading the poll.
I agree, the idea of losing any of my limbs would be greatly depressing to me. Even a single finger. I think I could deal with a loss of sight or hearing much better.
Libra

Post by Libra »

......... Ok, Emi is a below the knee amputee, compare that to a above the knee amputee she has a easier time walking and running. In terms of people being depress over losing a limb or limbs, well it depends on how and when that person lose his/her limbs. for example let say you were born without a left arm, but because you are just a baby, a you learn to adapt with out that arm. *alot of people who are missing a arm or arms, don't brother getting a protective because it's "hard" to use.. I'm not going to get into how they open and close the hand... just google it* However, let say a 20 year old guy who was in a car accident and ends up losing his legs. he will have a greater chance of being depress because for 20 years of his life, he had legs and now he doesn't.

I think why people are picking legs over all because you use your hands for alot of things compare to your legs.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I chose legs, because I use my ears, eyes and hands a lot. Of course I use my legs too, but they aren't that important to me. :? I could learn to adept if I lost my legs, but if I lost my hands/hearing/sight it would be a lot harder.

(I would have chosen burn scars, but I wasn't sure if my parents getting killed was part of the choice.)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
yummines

Post by yummines »

thread is probably going to get locked like the last one did...

anyhow why would you want a disability? it doesn't give you special powers like Daredevil or something. i would prefer going to Yamaku while perfectly normal thank you (it's discussed in the game that those without issues can go to Yamaku).