Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DownRUpLYBStart

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

@Kyllman or anyone in this thread: If you have health insurance, many of the companies offer free over the phone counseling and some entitle you to 1-3 free sessions as long as the therapist is within your network (if already stated before in a previous page, I am sorry lol).

I just found this out Tuesday, and this is what led up to it:

I am well out of college and looking back has been years upon years of disappointment. I took this job as a logistics coordinator as a way to eliminate debt, and thought of it as a temporary position. It required 60% traveling and at first, like any other young kid out of college, loved it. I mean who would not like going to cities all expenses paid? Sightseeing, good food, get drunk, meet up with people, it initially was the best thing for an introvert like me. I tried to establish relationships at every chance I got, but found that a difference of interests, and the level of socializing involved in this job is way out of my wallflower expectations. Year after year, it became very difficult. I lost clients either due to the fact I was not socializing enough, or that I cracked a joke that I later learned they considered immature. Eventually, I shut myself out of the "networking" game because there were too many rules involved and I rather not even try to risk my "career."

I found out that my stepdad got laid off, and my mom needed extra money, so I was helping them out with payments. Some stupid driver wrecked my already-paid vehicle, so I had to get a new one. Year 4, my priority went from "looking for my passion" to "get paper" once again. Since I am only home 2 months of the year, my social life took a major nosedive. I missed parties, meeting new people, found out the girls I was interested back home were dating other guys (later turned into marriage / got kids) while I was stuck in a job, no future and depressed.

I always wanted a change in my life for the better, but I always had excuses, ya know. I'll run tomorrow, it is too cold. I'll run tomorrow, it is too hot. I'll run tomorrow, it is too damn early. I am tired from work, but I will practice extra hard at <insert hobby here> on the next night. I felt it was justified. I mean, different time zones every other week will screw up your sleep cycle, and my "excuses" acted like a soothing, addicting, drug (the alcohol helped too).

So, flash forward, this last Tuesday, when I had my annual performance review. I was nervous, but I had to do it. I basically told my boss that I am not happy at my job and implying that I am looking for a way out. Of course, my co-workers thought I was nuts, but my manager was shocked to hear this considering I don't talk to people often. Our 30 minute review turned into 1 hour, and he was firing questions at me left and right. I could have easily lied and reach into my bag of corporate loaded questions, but... Something inside me said, "Do it." I spoke the truth of my discontentment.

I was expecting to get fired; I even asked him that. He said, "we are not going to let you go, you've done great every year, but I do recommend you seeing an occupational therapist about this. If you find what you want to do in our company, we are willing to work with you."

I called up my insurance company and basically they told me that their certified therapists, under my insurance plan,gives me the first 3 sessions free. I scheduled my first session after I get back from a grueling business trip. I am nervous. I have no problem talking to doctors about my physical health, but this is a new medium for me.

My family has a stigma on letting outsiders know what goes on in the circle, and if I were to get the change I truly wanted, I better make this work. It is hard to break out of my comfortable situation, I could easily have kept my mouth shut, did my job, and that 5+ years turn into 10 years, no girlfriend, drink 5-7 beers every week and etc; But its not what I want. I wanted to work on my productivity, I have the tendency to laze about, so I got medication. The bad part is that it is not recommended to drink alcohol with it, so I've cut back and found bars to be even more boring than usual. XD

At this point guys, because now my company knows I am not motivated to stay, and with my co-workers resigning, I am bullshitting you if I tell you that completely calm and not downright terrified of what will happen from now til 2014.

SUMMARY: 5 years in a high-travel job, detached, no life, and with grown depression. Just had 2013 performance review, I told my boss that I hate the job. Awaiting free therapy, change is fucking scary.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

DownRUpLYBStart wrote:SUMMARY: 5 years in a high-travel job, detached, no life, and with grown depression. Just had 2013 performance review, I told my boss that I hate the job. Awaiting free therapy, change is fucking scary.
I can sympathize with all but the job, on account of never being employed. Hopefully soon...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

http://impossiblehq.com/iron-soul-henry-rollins

I thought some of you folks might like this read.
Much love to the Emi workout thread for kickstarting many positive changes in both my life and my mindset.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

BionicKraken wrote:http://impossiblehq.com/iron-soul-henry-rollins

I thought some of you folks might like this read.
The author of the article learnt discipline and moderation from his workouts, but I hesistate a little when he seemed to imply that it is the only way. Nothing is the only way, and it is up to each of us to find our path. We can accept help, but we must walk the route ourselves.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Valentine's Day and I still don't have a girlfriend... But at least I have waifus! :mrgreen:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

OtakuNinja wrote:Valentine's Day and I still don't have a girlfriend... But at least I have waifus! :mrgreen:
I decided to temporarily abandon my girlfriend on Valentine's and went to have dinner with waifu. :lol:

http://t.co/NWJJ2Av0
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Fiandra wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:Valentine's Day and I still don't have a girlfriend... But at least I have waifus! :mrgreen:
I decided to temporarily abandon my girlfriend on Valentine's and went to have dinner with waifu. :lol:

D'aawwww. You look so cute together :3
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Hey if you're alone today, just think of all the money you're saving on flowers, candy, expensive dinners, etc.

Take that money and go buy yourself a gift instead. You deserve it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
DownRUpLYBStart

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

Fiandra wrote:

I dunno. ... She's a pretty expensive date. Look at that salad she has: Fruit and greens probably grown by blind tibetian monks with what looks like gold flakes and caviar. That dress itself looks like its worth more than a 1 story house's rent in Vegas... Hope you got a deep wallet...
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

DownRUpLYBStart wrote:
SUMMARY: 5 years in a high-travel job, detached, no life, and with grown depression. Just had 2013 performance review, I told my boss that I hate the job. Awaiting free therapy, change is fucking scary.
My uncle's a bit like you. He got out of college, landed a job in Russia as a high-paid GM, and basically spends his life jetting around to different conferences. I asked him if he ever was lonely.

This was around five years ago, and he was around forty then. He'd had a string of girlfriends, but much like you, they all faded off due to his high travel schedule.

He sort of had hit a low, and really questioned whether the money/his job was worth it. It was pretty interesting for me, because I always thought he was the coolest guy (he was still clubbing at age 40) but he decided to stick it out. If it didn't work for him by age 45, he was going to ask for a less-travel position.

He waited a two more years, ran into a girl who had the same high travel needs as him (wine distributor/purchaser), and a year and a half later, they're probably going to be engaged. They spend a week or two together here and there, and it's all they need. I've seen them together, and they're as happy as any couple can be, if not more.

I'm not my uncle, so I can't advise directly, but if you wait, I'm sure the right person will come by.
Dream

Post by Dream »

SemisoftCheese wrote:I'm not my uncle, so I can't advise directly, but if you wait, I'm sure the right person will come by.
Probably.

Not trying to be overly negative or anything like that, but i just felt i should say that there is no guarantee he'll find someone.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Dream wrote:
SemisoftCheese wrote:I'm not my uncle, so I can't advise directly, but if you wait, I'm sure the right person will come by.
Probably.

Not trying to be overly negative or anything like that, but i just felt i should say that there is no guarantee he'll find someone.
No shame in being alone, as long as you're happy. As honest Abe put it, "People are as happy as they make their minds up to be." (Mental disorders notwithstanding)
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

One of the things that makes this game feel so personal is that like Hisao, I've got a heart condition too. Congestive heart failure One day, theres a goo chance that'll it'll just stop working. Its just something you try not to think about. I take my three pills every morning, and try to get on with life.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:One of the things that makes this game feel so personal is that like Hisao, I've got a heart condition too. Congestive heart failure One day, theres a goo chance that'll it'll just stop working. Its just something you try not to think about. I take my three pills every morning, and try to get on with life.
Does your prescription read "Take 3 pills daily to not die"?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Xanatos wrote:
pandaphil wrote:One of the things that makes this game feel so personal is that like Hisao, I've got a heart condition too. Congestive heart failure One day, theres a goo chance that'll it'll just stop working. Its just something you try not to think about. I take my three pills every morning, and try to get on with life.
Does your prescription read "Take 3 pills daily to not die"?
Not really. But they might as well.