Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Steinherz

Re: Aspergers' and Katawa Shoujo

Post by Steinherz »

Dillonboy8 wrote:
Steinherz wrote: Ah, that is very early.
Yeah, for a while they (my parents and doctor) thought the ADD thing was correct.... until the Strattera made me suicidal and have a stutter (which didn't go away until I was midway through High School). Yeah. Don't take ADD/ADHD meds unless you actually have it. It kind of screws with your noggin :lol:
But seriously, when an 11/12 year old is suicidal, you dun goofed.

And Insomnia? Ehh, I think I have that. However that may just be college fucking with my sleep schedule XD
(also, welcome to the forums by the way)
I don't have insomnia, although sometimes I think about too much at a time and that causes me to have trouble sleeping. Stress and all that.
XD
Hello Mini-Me
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Dillonboy8 wrote:...where us guys bring our game systems into the school and stay until 11 p.m. playing games.
11 PM?! What the heck?! I would guess that at 11 PM my high school officials/security (?) would have kicked people out! During my Junior year, some Seniors tried to stay over night in tents. They were busted for trespassing and fined for things I don't quite remember. It's not like it was a closed campus either high school either. That's not exactly the same situation though.

Onto the point of the post! Welcome to the forums! I'm really glad that you could take something from Katawa Shoujo in order to use for your own life. A lot of us have a part of Katawa Shoujo imprinted in our hearts as well.

I'm actually really interested in Asperger's Syndrome; whenever I look it up, I receive mixed answers. The confusion is frustrating. There have been many times when I've asked something like, "Isn't Aspergers [apparently incorrect definition]?" I'm always met with, "No, that's not what it is." No one has ever followed up with an explanation. Hopefully this isn't too impersonal, but how would you define Asperger Syndrome? o':
Also is it Asperger's or Asperger? I know Asperger is the last name of a person, so I'd guess at Asperger's Syndrome but I'm seeing multiple spellings.
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

Ah, nice story, bro. Welcome to the club.

Speaking of Narcissu, I've been leaving it hanging for a month now. Dang. :lol:
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Pascalla wrote: I'm actually really interested in Asperger's Syndrome; whenever I look it up, I receive mixed answers. The confusion is frustrating. There have been many times when I've asked something like, "Isn't Aspergers [apparently incorrect definition]?" I'm always met with, "No, that's not what it is." No one has ever followed up with an explanation. Hopefully this isn't too impersonal, but how would you define Asperger Syndrome? o':
Also is it Asperger's or Asperger? I know Asperger is the last name of a person, so I'd guess at Asperger's Syndrome but I'm seeing multiple spellings.
The simplest way to describe Asperger's Syndrome is that it's a social disorder. It's under the wide array of the Autism Spectrum (which amusing includes ADD/ADHD one of which I was (incorrectly) diagnosed with). Basically it depends on the severity of your variant. Mine: I can't read social queues at all. Body language and slight motions to convey something? Nope, lost on me.
Also, Asperger is the man, Asperger's is the disorder. But no, you've got the right spelling.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Pascalla

Post by Pascalla »

Steinherz wrote:
Pascalla wrote: I'm actually really interested in Asperger's Syndrome; whenever I look it up, I receive mixed answers. The confusion is frustrating. There have been many times when I've asked something like, "Isn't Aspergers [apparently incorrect definition]?" I'm always met with, "No, that's not what it is." No one has ever followed up with an explanation. Hopefully this isn't too impersonal, but how would you define Asperger Syndrome? o':
The simplest way to describe Asperger's Syndrome is that it's a social disorder. It's under the wide array of the Autism Spectrum (which amusing includes ADD/ADHD one of which I was (incorrectly) diagnosed with). Basically it depends on the severity of your variant. Mine: I can't read social queues at all. Body language and slight motions to convey something? Nope, lost on me.
Also, Asperger is the man, Asperger's is the disorder. But no, you've got the right spelling.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense!
So it varies a bit from one person with the disorder to another? Goodness, it seems a bit difficult to diagnose someone with it.
I have a really close friend that has been diagnosed with it; at first it was "minor autism", at another point she referred to herself as retarded-- just retarded, and then later I was told that was not retarded and she had Asperger's Syndrome.
I really hope that she wasn't given any incorrect medicine. :(
ImageViolently sob as you begin to nod at some of the things that Kenji is saying.Image
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Pascalla wrote: Thank you, that makes a lot of sense!
So it varies a bit from one person with the disorder to another? Goodness, it seems a bit difficult to diagnose someone with it.
I have a really close friend that has been diagnosed with it; at first it was "minor autism", at another point she referred to herself as retarded-- just retarded, and then later I was told that was not retarded and she had Asperger's Syndrome.
I really hope that she wasn't given any incorrect medicine. :(
You are welcome :) But yeah it is difficult/annoying to diagnose.
However the best indicators are: people with Asperger syndrome often display intense interests, have issues socializing, physically clumsy, have issues with nonverbal communication and ( often, I seem to be an outlier in this case) lack empathy. (sounds like Rin :lol: )
I hope she wasn't either. Incorrect medication can seriously screw with your head (speaking from experience here :lol:)
I also draw, kind of.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Welcome Dillon! Yeah, don't mind Xan. He's the official 'character' around here.

Really enjoyed your post. Sounds like you're doing it the right way, and letting KS improve your life. That's what its meant for. And don't be sad about not being in a relationship. 15 is still relatively young, and if you keep making progress, then its only a matter of time.

If you need more KS, might I suggest our fanfic area? There are some lovely continuations there.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:Now, think of this: Doctor asks you a question that makes you happy, you get happy. Doctor asks you a question that makes you sad, you get sad. Doctor asks you a question that makes you pissed, you see where I'm going? She spent an hour doing that. OF COURSE I HAVE A MOOD SWING ISSUE, YOU KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT ELICIT EMOTIONAL RESPONSES IN THE MOST RANDOM ORDER! *rage nuke*
*exhales slowly*
However I can say for a fact I know I have a temper. However I have one of those really scary fuses that takes a while to go, but when it does go off :shock:
Sounds fun. I once got sent in for a psychiatric evaluation because somebody being a jackass made me angry. :lol: People are idiots...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

First I'd like to say, What's up man? Welcome to the Katawa Shoujo forums! It can be a dark and scary place at times, but we always have a good laugh here :)

V---Me blabbering on about autism and how it runs in the family. You can just skip it :P

Second, I like to just say, I don't have Asperger's or any form of autism myself, (although it was assumed for many years that I did...) but it runs in the family. This might sound weird, but just seeing how obviously high functioning you are from the stories you tell and the way you write, (The way in which you write proves that you are rather intellectual) it gives me hope that my youngest brother, who is developing at a slow rate, will someday be able to be as highly functioning as you, and possibly live a normal life without constant supervision. I'm sorry if this is a bit awkward :P

Third, I'd like to say... you beat the game in 2 months?? Fuck, I beat it in 6 days! I did waste a small portion of my life after downloaded Katawa Shoujo. I have no regrets. I'm a changed man because of this.

And finally, I'd like to say that most of the KS fans, if not all of them feel the same way you do towards the game. It's pretty clear that these characters aren't real, and we can't be with them; but they're so beautifully designed, so carefully written, it's so easy to connect with these characters, and in some form or another, fall in love with them. After completing KS, I feel the world around me is so much different. I now see that there are so many possibilities in life, and I didn't see this as clearly before KS. After seeing the characters in KS struggle to make their dreams a reality, I am now confident in making my own dreams come true, no matter how tough of a road may be ahead of me.

Also, if I could choose between a healthy life without any major problems, and a life as Hisao with a life threatening condition, though being surrounded by such beautiful people, I'd probably choose a life as Hisao. Because I hate most people in my life. They...they just suck. They suck monkey testicles >.<
Last edited by KeiichiO on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Kenji wrote: "What's up, man?"
Rin wrote: "Helloooooo."
Kenji and Rin welcome you.

You should've joined the forums earlier; the sooner, the better. Or however the phrase goes. I'm below decent at introductions, please refer to KeiichiO, Xanatos for various hilarities, life-scarring experiences, Rin-like nonsense, etc.

-Somewhat optional reading below-

What gets me the most isn't the game. It's big, but not very. It's mostly hearing what people have to say after they play their first/last arc of Katawa Shoujo when I get a Hisao-like "HNNNNNG EMI SLOW DOWN" moment. The characters' stories are great, true, but I'm a little bit more interested in whatever comes out as a result of "First time poster + Massive feels" syndrome.

I've got kiratosis, which causes some protein build-up in certain parts of my body. Makes my arms/torso/shins dry and rough, with lots of bumps, and gives me an almost 24/7 (22/7?) blush to my cheeks. The blush looks nice sometimes, but no one really wants to get close to me physically, save for a few people. I've worn a spandex-like two-piece under my clothes since middle school, just to hide it. Except for certain times, but that's not important.

Basically, when I read about how it was hard for you to make a connection with someone, hnnng. I went through that when I realized "Kira-chan" was scaring my classmates away. Eventually (a long, long eventually), I found someone who understood and didn't mind. Yay, relationships and stuff.

My hope is that the one stage of "I need a relationship" gets resolved for you, because I know how it feels. To feel that people get pushed away because of something that's a part of you kind of hits a nerve, for me. But everyone deals with life in a different way, you with Asperger's, me with kiratosis and medicinal lotion. I'm just here to say that even if forumers here don't understand, many of us want to. And sorry about how I awkwardly phrase stuff sometimes, I'm terrible with anything to do with words.

And I'm terrible at conclusions, too. Nothing else to say, except to be wary of Xanatos and his links.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I do think my way of thinking had come close to blowing at least one guy's brains up. Emi X Miki.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Umber wrote:*Lots of text that you can see above*
I've gone through similar situations man, so I feel ya.

I don't have Keratosis, but I had pretty bad acne through middle-to-high school. I was horribly self-conscious of my acne. I had really long hair to cover my face, (Like Hanako lol), but I found out that my long hair was probably the cause problem in the first place. My acne was such a problem, it just stole any ounce of self-confidence I had in me.

Warning: Sob Story below.

There was this one girl who I had a big crush on. We were pretty good friends, so I thought that maybe we could take our relationship to a new level. I was thinking about confessing my feelings to her, but before I could do that, she comes up to me and says, "****, you're gross."
I had my heart crushed that day and for a while, I gave up on trying to have a relationship.

Now, several years later, I look back, and realize that my acne was barely even noticeable for the most part. It's not even as bad most cases. I was actually a pretty fucking handsome kid! To this day, I have pretty healthy ego, and realized that that girl was a huge bitch. (Seriously, she was the biggest bitch ever. I didn't realize this until later in our friendship). I'm still self-conscious about certain aspects of my body, but I'm much better at looking on what's on the inside, not what's on the outside. (Hanako's story helped me out with this problem as well.)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

KeiichiO wrote:I did waste a small portion of my life after downloaded Katawa Shoujo. I have no regrets.
If there are no regrets, in what way is it a waste?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Sgt Spice

Post by Sgt Spice »

KeiichiO wrote:I did waste a small portion of my life after downloaded Katawa Shoujo. I have no regrets.
If its time you enjoy wasting, then it isn't time wasted.
Rin Kin
I have a very strong Rin-bias
"Just be"
DownRUpLYBStart

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

I was on straterra and it caused me to pass out randomly one night... I remember brushing my teeth and suddenly fell to the ground. After that, I stopped using it.

I have been in new orleans for the last 10 days for a show... I have to turn in to my therapist on monday a questionaire before the first session. One of the questions is, "how many alcoholic drinks have you had in the past week." I laugh because as of right now, I am racking at 12 right now... It sounds bad to me but who knows... I fly out tomorrow and await a stranger cut through my psyche like a flaming butter knife....