If Katawa Shoujo was a JRPG...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ICEheaven102

Re: If Katawa Shoujo was a JRPG...

Post by ICEheaven102 »

Emi= Thief/rouge (She's fast and deadly)
Lily= Ranger (Hehe ironic eh? =P)
Hanako= Mage (Fire spells!)
Rin= Acobat (A close ranged class advancement of the Archer in Dragon Nest. Acrobat has a lot of kicking spells btw.)
Shizune= Warrior (The strong slient type)
Misha= Warrior (The err.... Loud, strong type. lol)
hickwarrior

Post by hickwarrior »

newnar wrote:The tarot cards actually represents a time/period in everyone's life when their psyche develops new emotions due to subjection to certain outside stimuli.

But what I'm trying to link up is the social link most appropriate for each arcana.
That's what I was trying to get across. I mean, Shizune doesn't seem to be like that. Hanako seems more Lovers than anything else, outside of the obvious of course. I think Lilly is more empress during Hanako's story due to that. At least, that's how I see it. I mean, you have read(at least on the page I linked) what the arcana kind of represent right?
Meh, I just liked how the location sounded in my mind. I'm not really into sailing myself.
newnar

Post by newnar »

hickwarrior wrote:
newnar wrote:The tarot cards actually represents a time/period in everyone's life when their psyche develops new emotions due to subjection to certain outside stimuli.

But what I'm trying to link up is the social link most appropriate for each arcana.
That's what I was trying to get across. I mean, Shizune doesn't seem to be like that. Hanako seems more Lovers than anything else, outside of the obvious of course. I think Lilly is more empress during Hanako's story due to that. At least, that's how I see it. I mean, you have read(at least on the page I linked) what the arcana kind of represent right?

If you've played the Persona 3 you will know there's a certain person in the game whom you need to establish social links with in order to level up your arcanas. Usually these relationships and the personalities of these people are in conjunction with the arcana. These are called the Social Links.

For example, Hanged Man in the game is a girl called Maiko who has a parents on the edge of divorce, Chariot is the captain of your kendo team and Devil is some businessman.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Hisao is The Fool. That's a common Tarot convention: The Fool is the protagonist, and vice versa.

Lilly as The Lovers is interesting, but not so much for the meaning everyone thinks of: it can also mean a divergence of choices. Consider that in light of her plotline (and, for that matter, Rise's plotline in P4, when she held that arcana).

Hanako works well as The Hermit, actually.

I wouldn't say that Shizune ordinarily fits Empress all that well. But if you pair up Shizune and Misha as the Empress and the Hanged Man respectively, things get much more interesting. Misha fits the Hanged Man best even on her own, for a wide number of reasons, but one of its big meanings is desire, and one of the big meanings of the Empress is being desired (in the Tarot-as-story interpretation, she is in fact desired by the Hanged Man). On her own, Shizune could do quite well as Justice.

Rin works well as the Wheel of Fortune: new opportunities, but also dissension. Development, but also confusion.
etzhadaat

Post by etzhadaat »

I think if one were trying to make a JRPG out of KS, I wouldn't want a full party, to go with the lack of gigolo play.There are two players, Hisao and one girl at a time.

Hisao is a white mage/bard type, who heals and buffs. He can do some rudimentary attack that has a 33% chance to do double damage with massive recoil damage on Hisao, and a massive attack that lowers his HP to 1 and poisons him. Girls will stop whatever they're doing to use the best healing item/skill available to them.
The girls are controlled by AI. Hisao can't really control them, but they will take advantage of specific buffs, ie more likely to use the high MP/high damage move with the long cooldown when given a damage boosting buff, more likely to steal/scan when given a speed boosting buff, etc. Each girl has a summon.

Shizune is a black mage. She focuses on crippling enemies, drawing out battles and taking away any advantages enemies have. Her first move every battle paralyzes all but one enemy unless they are immune. For new enemies, she'll then enter "learning mode", where she'll use various weak attacks or various strengths of scan as she gets stronger. She'll learn moves that halve certain stats, block certain elements, stop the use of certain weapons, and offensive moves that will only do any damage if used on enemies with weaknesses to them. Her summon is Misha, there's like a five percent chance she'll come out of nowhere and smash the enemy for massive damage that ignores armor, for contrast. Her equipment is just increasingly expensive glasses, because she casts spells from her eyes, not her mouth, obviously.

Emi is a berserker, emphasis on speed, obviously. She gets two turns in a row. When she's on low health, she falls into her wheelchair, dropping her speed, raising her defense, and replacing her normal moveset with rest, lemon lube, which stuns the enemy for one turn and slows them down, and a small chance of Summon Nurse which will heal her fully at the end of the following turn. When Hisao is in critical condition, she has a 50/50 shot at summoning Nurse to help, which will heal him fully and not use an item. As she levels up, she mostly gets passive bonuses to attack or speed, with some ways to multi-hit. She uses giant swords.

Rin is a blue mage, but a weird one. When she's hit by certain enemy attacks, she'll learn a tangentially related skill, ie, when she's hit by fire breath, she might paint some flaming red foxes that will swirl around the enemies and ravage them, as Rin might try to explain fire breath to someone. In order to pull this off, though, she'll spend some turns during battle mixing paints to get the right colors. She can summon Nomiya to give her a bunch of paints, including one each of the primary colors and one fully mixed one for whatever she's got in her mind right then.

Lilly uses rapiers. She does massive damage, but has very low accuracy. She can summon Akira to stand behind enemies and talk to make her 100% accurate for as long as Akira remains. Hisao can also hold her hand. This will make it so they're a single target, effectively making anything that hits one of them hit both and lowering their evasion, but also raises Lilly's accuracy quite a bit, like from 10% to 70%.

I haven't played Hanako's route yet or finished Lilly's, I'll come back to this.
_Lumice

Post by _Lumice »

Lily should be an archer or samurai,
YEAHHHHHHHHHH
shizunebro