KS on TVTropes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Woody Alien

KS on TVTropes

Post by Woody Alien »

By seeing that many of you are familiar with the TVTropes site, I'm asking: how many forumites are contributing to the Katawa Shoujo page over there, and all the related subpages? I sometimes put a few tropes in the main, but mostly contribute to the "Shout Out" page (I always liked to spot the various references) and a little bit to the Characters page.
I have spotted Encrypted and bradpara, but I'm sure there are more of us... by the way, I am "DaddyMulk" over there (kinda obscure reference...)
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Guest Poster

Re: KS on TVTropes

Post by Guest Poster »

I've made several additions to the Katawa Shoujo page there over time.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Whoever said that Lilly's music box is a Chekhov's Gun was pretty dead on.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Ugh, Moment of funny page is all a jumbled mess. I'll fix that later.

Editing the Katawa Shoujo page is how I show my love for this game. :wink:
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

What's a trope? o_O
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
hickwarrior

Post by hickwarrior »

UncleJellyfish wrote:What's a trope? o_O
First off, plan a few hoursin advance, like 4 of them. Then, go onto tvtropes.org, look up katawa shoujo or something you like.

In all seriousness, a trope is a commonly used writing technique for just about any story. At least, that's the extend of the definition I got from it.
Meh, I just liked how the location sounded in my mind. I'm not really into sailing myself.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Snow_Storm wrote:Whoever said that Lilly's music box is a Chekhov's Gun was pretty dead on.
I don't think that's a good example for Chekhov's Gun. It's not like the item becomes any more important in the final scene than when it is first introduced. It's just that its reappearance at that point might be a bit unexpected for some.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

hickwarrior wrote:
First off, plan a few hoursin advance, like 4 of them. Then, go onto tvtropes.org, look up katawa shoujo or something you like.

In all seriousness, a trope is a commonly used writing technique for just about any story. At least, that's the extend of the definition I got from it.
Yep, that website is an all-consuming black hole, a more addictive and fun version of Wikipedia. It's easy to get lost for hours as the tabs pile up in your browser. I honestly love the place. :mrgreen:
hickwarrior

Post by hickwarrior »

encrypted12345 wrote:
hickwarrior wrote:

Yep, that website is an all-consuming black hole, a more addictive and fun version of Wikipedia. It's easy to get lost for hours as the tabs pile up in your browser. I honestly love the place. :mrgreen:
I can see why you'd like it. Even though the information is dry, it's that thing that makes it so entertaining to actually read. Seriously, it's like pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop.
Meh, I just liked how the location sounded in my mind. I'm not really into sailing myself.
newnar

Post by newnar »

It's an encyclopedia of cliches and commonly-used production/plot techniques/progression from all sorts of media complete with classifications/examples for each production in its huge database.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:It's an encyclopedia of cliches and commonly used in all sorts of media production/plot techniques/progression complete with classifications/examples for each production in its huge database.
While you are mostly right, I take offense to the term "cliche". It says right at the home page that tropes are not all cliches. Since when were climaxes cliche? A truly tropeless tale is impossible.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

newnar wrote:It's an encyclopedia of cliches and commonly-used production/plot techniques/progression from all sorts of media complete with classifications/examples for each production in its huge database.
Hopefully people understand that, because it is oh so true. Cliches everywhere.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

yipyapper wrote:Hopefully people understand that, because it is oh so true. Cliches everywhere.
Meh, all tropes are tools. Even cliches. I've seen them done well before.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

encrypted12345 wrote:
yipyapper wrote:Hopefully people understand that, because it is oh so true. Cliches everywhere.
Interesting that the topic is on TVTropes... Not sure if that constitutes bias, defending itself or if it is genuinely just discussing tropes.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345 wrote:
The way I see it, it represents the absolute border of human literature works. Every possible method and technique of creating fiction is now databased. Why though? And if fiction represents what people see from real life, is that the maximum extent of real life experiences as well?