What else made you cry?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Steinherz

Re: What else made you cry?

Post by Steinherz »

CreedKeeper25 wrote:For Katawa Shoujo, just hearing Painful History bursts the dam, as I always remember the scene of Hanako lying on her bed, crying.
I agree, Painful History is one of the more sad songs in KS. I always get a little teary-eyed when I hear it.

CreedKeeper25 wrote:In Gears of War 3, when Dom sacrifices himself that was one of the most depressing scenes I've seen in a video game. Especially when you consider his state of being at the time.
I agree, Painful History is one of the more sad songs in KS.

The fact that "Mad World" was playing in that scene made it all the more sad. That song is essentially Gears' unofficial theme song. However that scene did allow one of the best "the reason you suck" speeches in gaming (Marcus just LAYING into Griffin). Although John DiMaggio (Marcus' VA) accidentally slipped into the Bender voice. Which kind of made that scene slightly comedic.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

CreedKeeper25 wrote:For Katawa Shoujo, just hearing Painful History bursts the dam, as I always remember the scene of Hanako lying on her bed, crying.
Whenever I here Painful History, I think of the Hanako H-scene. I can't seem to get those images out of my mind whenever I listen to the song.
It was an extremely strange experience and the feel to that entire scene is something I can't describe. Emotional is the closest I can get to a word that describes that scene.

Seriously though, powerful tune. Makes me teary eyed every single time.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I think we've had this discussion before. Painful History is pretty hard, but its Innocence and Comfort that get me going every time.

But really, there's something about piano solos...

And choirs too.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

pandaphil wrote:I think we've had this discussion before. Painful History is pretty hard, but its Innocence and Comfort that get me going every time.

And choirs too.

I know this is kind of odd, but I have to agree. Slow piano solos are often emotion.
It's especially jarring when it's a piano version of a song you've already heard before. (here's the pure instrumental if you don't want to hear the singing. But why wouldn't you? Mein Herz Brennt (My Heart Burns) - Piano Version Instrumental)
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Celine Dion's, "My Heart Will Go On".

Every time.

Manly tears.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

KeiichiO wrote:Celine Dion's, "My Heart Will Go On".

Every time.

Manly tears.

Got that one covered too. :)

*sniff*
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:Celine Dion's, "My Heart Will Go On".

Every time.

Manly tears.

Got that one covered too. :)

*sniff*
Oh god, the beauty, I can't fight back the tears!

Really, it's a beautiful piece, for a beautiful film.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

pandaphil wrote:I think we've had this discussion before. Painful History is pretty hard, but its Innocence and Comfort that get me going every time.

I couldn't agree more. Painful HIstory, Innocence, and Comfort all hit me right in the feels. Another song that gets me EVERY time is Green Bird, the song itself is beautiful but I cant hear it without thinking about the infamous scene from Cowboy Bebop.

:lol: That scene always gets to me. Other music that strikes me deep is almost any song from Code Geass. It may just be nostalgia for my favorite anime but I've always loved that soundtrack. I'm not sure what it is about the piano but it always seems to strike a chord with me.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

SpecimenSix wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Painful HIstory, Innocence, and Comfort all hit me right in the feels. Another song that gets me EVERY time is Green Bird, the song itself is beautiful but I cant hear it without thinking about the infamous scene from Cowboy Bebop.

:lol: That scene always gets to me. Other music that strikes me deep is almost any song from Code Geass. It may just be nostalgia for my favorite anime but I've always loved that soundtrack. I'm not sure what it is about the piano but it always seems to strike a chord with me.
So that's where it came from! :lol:

(Haven't watched Bebop is so many years...)
Trivun

Post by Trivun »

It takes a hell of a lot to make me cry, so there won't be much for me to say. But on a KS-related note, I actually teared up while writing the latest chapter of my own fanfiction. Yes, my own writing made me cry, but it was more down to Hanako's arc writer than anything else.

Also, I got pretty emotional at some moments in Elfen Lied, especially when seeing Lucy/Nyu's backstory in the flashback episodes. I could kind of relate (to some extent, fortunately I've never had a pet killed in front of me by twisted psycho kids :P). Not to mention the backstory for some of the haracters of Deadman Wonderland - odd choice, I know, but although she's completely psycho and twisted, Minatsuki is again rather relatable and such when you look at her history. I was moved quite a bit by the stuff that happened to cause her to become so warped.

That being said, I have a thing for getting into the minds of damaged individuals in fiction...

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I think I've shed more tears in the last month than I ever remember before. Not sure whether I'm overly sensitive after KS, or if I've just been seeking out more emotional music and stories just to keep the feels coming.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I forgot one thing; Mafia II, the ending scene. :cry:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

As far as games are concerned I guess there are a few examples, but the most notable recent example was indeed Spec Ops: The Line. I mean...I could see where it was all headed, but the way it happened and how in the end I still couldn't bring about to blame the main villain for what he'd done...it's one of those once-in-a-lifetime feels that also makes you think real hard along with making you feel things you normally never would.

As far as movies go I see several examples already being mentioned (like UP), but for me the most standout one of my youth probably was indeed Blade Runner. Many many scenes in that movie, though particularly the scene that goes together with this wonderful music...

And as for books...I'll try and name a less known example of a moreso well-known IP. I remember being really impressed by Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne and brought to a tear or two by its end. The way it started out in a somewhat interesting, though still fairly standard style, but toward the end evolved beautifully to a treatise on what it truly takes to become a king...and how some people are willing to 'help' Maric become that king.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

KeiichiO wrote: So that's where it came from! :lol:

(Haven't watched Bebop is so many years...)
Indeed it is I still watch it somewhat often, I practically grew up with that anime so it's one of my favorites. And I've seen that instafeels it was good, very fitting for the lilly route :)
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
CreedKeeper25

Post by CreedKeeper25 »

Steinherz wrote: The fact that "Mad World" was playing in that scene made it all the more sad. That song is essentially Gears' unofficial theme song. However that scene did allow one of the best "the reason you suck" speeches in gaming (Marcus just LAYING into Griffin). Although John DiMaggio (Marcus' VA) accidentally slipped into the Bender voice. Which kind of made that scene slightly comedic.
Oh god, I could watch that scene over and over.

Also, remembered 2 more moments

The Iron Giant, when The Giant sacrifices himself to stop the missle I cried my eyes out after that movie. I need to find another copy

Gears 3 again, when Dr. Fenix dies. Not really because I felt a connection with him, but mostly because I realized just how much Marcus had lost by the end.

Damn, I get more emotional from games and movies than I do most of the time in real life.
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro