Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Walrusfella wrote: Althamus, that LARPing sounds like a good workout. You'll be the fittest warrior on the field. Good luck on week 2!

Isn't LARP Live Action Role Play? Or am I confused?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
DownRUpLYBStart

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

I am week 3 into the 5k thing... and man I can't do the jogging rates posted by Emi. I tried but it is way too difficult for the moment. I did beat my previous 1 mile time, but it sucks that maybe I have not progressed enough? I am probably going to re-do this week 3 rate again and see. I hydrate well before the run, and hydrate after.. maybe that will help.

I look at my times and picture Emi saying, "Really? I've seen you dash for an open seat at the bar faster than this!"
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

LARP, if you do mean Live Action Role Play, is not that much of a work out. What with foam, card board, and molded plastic being so light. Medieval Combat Society in full metal and leather armor can be heft work though. In iron full plate it can be pretty serious even due to the heat. Although Belegarth medieval combat society also does mock armor and weapons for safety and money reasons and is much more prevalent.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Walrusfella wrote: They were wondering who the cutesy encouragement girl on chart was. :)
xD What did you say?

LARP is indeed Live Action RolePlay. And I'd guess how much of a workout it is depends on a person's fitness levels :P It knackered my legs after two days of it, that's for sure, but I'm only on EC25K W1, so hey.

@DownRUp, I'm still relatively new to EC25K, but I've done the 100PU challenge, and if I had any advice from that, it'd be: don't be afraid to go at your own pace. There was no way in heck I was going to be able to the 100 pushup challenge in the 4 weeks it suggested I do it in, but I took a bit longer, repeated weeks that I had trouble with, and I got there in the end and felt so much better because of it. After all, touch wood, the fitness we gain now'll be with us for the rest of our lives, there ain't no rush in gettin' there.

Update:
Left leg feeling sore, but ultimately fine now. Right leg still hurtin' too much to run. Sunburn gettin' pretty painful. Cold abating. Guessin' running on Thursday still sounds an option :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Smitten-Tastic

Post by Smitten-Tastic »

Yeah, after I played through Emi's arc I had a strange urge to run more. I tend to do push-ups and sit-ups a good bit, and I get some of the best pull-up scores in my grade. That said, I dont feel any need to do upper-body training.
I guess you'd call me skinny, but still pretty out of shape. Im a decent swimmer, so Emi only taught me to have drive to run. I planned to do a lot over the summer but I never got around to it.
Im a pretty crappy runner, one of the slowest in my grade, but one of the best sprinters. For motivation, im thinking about getting some of my fat-ass friends to run with me.
Thanks, Emi, and best of luck to all of you!
ojamamask

Post by ojamamask »

I started doing my 6am runs on Monday. Gosh I'm even worse than before.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

It's hard to keep up the motivation to run, I know from experience. If you find yourself in a vicious cycle where botching a routine leads you to start copping out of the activity altogether, I've found a nice quote that helps me stay in line:

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

- John Bingham
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Weighted myself on Monday, 74kg
Weighted again today after gym, 70.5kg
I mean, I know it's because of different scales, but I'll take the fake self-esteem boost, thank you :lol:
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Small update on my side here: still doing 2 runs a week, just not using fitocracy at the moment =/ I also started an internship today at my country's government, all part of my plan i started putting together after playing KS :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

This is a crosspost from Reddit and I wanted to get your opinion on it.
Well, I certainly applaud anyone wanting to do a hundred pushups, but take it from this old gym rat, I've spent my entire adult life in the gym, and a program like this one can do more harm than good.

If you only train one part of your body (and that's all a single exercise like pushups is going to do for you), you're setting yourself up for injuries down the road. I've seen it a hundred times.

It's like putting a powerful engine in a stock Toyota Tercel. What will you accomplish? You'll blow out the drive train, the clutch, the transmission, etc., because those factory parts aren't designed to handle the power of an engine much more powerful than the factory installed engine.

Push-ups basically only train the chest muscles and to some extent, the triceps. What you really want to do is train your entire body, all the major muscle groups (chest, back, abdomen, legs, shoulders and arms) at the same time, over the course of a workout. And don't forget your cardiovascular work!
This makes sense to me however I have no idea what the actual facts behind it are.
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
ook

Post by ook »

It's because the muscles in the body work together. When you do any kind of movement, you're not just moving one isolated muscle. There's always an opposing muscle (or group of muscles) that moves the other way, and some other muscles that join in too. So if one is a LOT stronger than the others, it's gonna force the other muscles to work harder than they're ready for.

And that's why compound exercises like pushups are so good. They work a lot of muscles at once. I wouldn't say pushups only train the chest muscles and triceps. They also work the shoulders, and to a lesser extent a lot of other stuff like abs. You just gotta add a back exercise (pull-ups, or easier versions if you can't do pull-ups) some leg stuff (squats, lunges, running), and maybe a core exercise (planks) and you're pretty much set. I'm pretty sure you can split them up between days if you want too.

Like they say in cereal commercials, the hundred pushups program is "part of a complete workout". :mrgreen:
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Althamus wrote:
Walrusfella wrote: They were wondering who the cutesy encouragement girl on chart was. :)
xD What did you say?
She just kind of hand waved it: "It's a video game character from something Walrus was playing", which is the truth, as far as it goes. Enough of an answer to be proper, but not enough to encourage further curiosity. She's deft like that. :)
gRaViJa wrote:Small update on my side here: still doing 2 runs a week, just not using fitocracy at the moment =/ I also started an internship today at my country's government, all part of my plan i started putting together after playing KS :)
Congratulations! I remember you considering your options. That sounds like a good decision. Good luck with your plan!
Sk3ch wrote: Reddit post
I'm no expert either, but I don't fully agree with that gentleman's assessment. Push ups work a lot of muscles at the same time. I wouldn't do a similar programme with bicep curls or something because it would be too specific, but the push ups have already made me overall stronger with other tasks like moving boxes.

The other reason I like the hundred push ups is that I don't have time or energy to do a more comprehensive workout given that I already spend a lot of time running three times per week. If I had to do set after set of Standing Frunches, Rhodesian Up-Downs, and Reverse Stevedores on non running days I just wouldn't do it.

Besides, my first car was a Toyota Tercel, and it would have been sweet to have a great big engine in it. :)

Edit: he does have a very good point about being wary of injury. I suppose his and my objectives are quite different; I want to get a little bit stronger, he probably wants to be very strong and well built.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

ook wrote:
Like they say in cereal commercials, the hundred pushups program is "part of a complete workout". :mrgreen:

Bah, I never eat anything but cereal anyway, I'm primed for this kind of thing.

Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I thought I'd drop in an update ^_^

I was aiming to go out running tail end of this week. Sadly, things conspired as they always do D=

The slight cold I had last weekend turned into a throat ailment, resulting in me coughing up a lung and almost losing my voice. I considered this to be a bad thing as I work in an office and talk on the phones all day. Consequently, I figured that running would a) irritate my throat from rapid breathing, and b) deplete my energy levels, which would hardly speed my recovery.

Therefore, running for this week got postponed. However, next week I'm working sensible hours, will have had a full calendar week to recover, and I see no reason why I can't get back onto EC25K :D

Only question is whether I should repeat W1 or go on to W2. I manaegd W1 last time, but have had 2 weeks break since, and although I managed it fine, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park (in all meanings bar the literal one).
So yea. I'll probably redo W1. Make sure I can do it np.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)

100 pushup challenge
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Hey guys :D

What happened to this topic :S

Anyways, after last week spent relaxing and getting myself feeling back to normal again, I managed to go out running yesterday (or this morning rather, being at 12:30am). I redid W1D3 to keep myself in form before moving onto W2. Actually, despite it being pretty chilly at that time of night and feeling pretty tired, I managed to do 2 miles in the 20 minutes. Pretty pleased with that :D

100 pushup challenge