Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Akros

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Akros »

Gandara wrote:Weekly Update

Another 2.5 lbs. down. I finally got my work uniform size downgrade at work too - reduced the size by a category, feels a lot more comfortable now. I think after another 20 or 30 lbs. I'll downgrade again.
Damn, you sure have lost a lot of weight by now. Congrats! :D

So, I'm still busy with sports, so I've decided to start week 9 next week. There was football on Thursday and basketball this morning so everything's going all right xD. Got to delay the push-ups, trying to do them after a game of basketball is not a good idea :P

EDIT: PAGE 100 Wahahahaha ! way to go people xD
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Althamus wrote:
ZXRN wrote:oh my glob...I can't even dream of making it to 30 w/o flopping down on the floor.Fact that you did 101 is impressive mate. You must be feeling pretty ripped. wahaha. How many weeks did it take you to get used to this again?
Weeks when I was actually doing pushups was about 8? But a couple of times work got far more intensive and I missed out multiple weeks at a time, so total time was more like 12-14 weeks. Not sure whether the time out helped, hindered or didn't do anything for me.
awesome stuff mate. It's only been my 2nd week anyways so I hope I get same results by that time as well.

@akros: wahaha~ I could imagine that would've been really tiring. Basketball + push-ups is quite harsh indeed.

update: I feel good and almost completed the whole day w/o resting. Unfortunately my last push-up on set 5 failed me. So I went and made myself set 6 just to do more since I rested long after the 5th one.
Jogging was cancelled due to a shitstorm that hit Phil. just this saturday morning...

aaand lastly, Congratulations to all of us for reaching 100. This has gotta be the biggest thread so far. (I think.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

ZXRN wrote: aaand lastly, Congratulations to all of us for reaching 100. This has gotta be the biggest thread so far. (I think.)
The "Ask!" thread is bigger. And the Broken Heart Club is right behind. :p

I did a total of 100 push ups yesterday, with the last 40 being consecutive. w00t! I seem to improve a lot more quickly than I expect to. Either it's because I've been eating more, or I've been eating better. Either way, I've gotta start making them protein shakes.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I'll be travelling next week so I'll kinda re-do Week 4 once I get back home.
KyKy

Post by KyKy »

I have just seen this thread for the first time, and after playing the game only once, it seems interesting. I will be sure to check Emi's story as I only did Hanako's. Well it has inspired me quite a bit that everyone is taking an initiative to start working out. I am in the process of making a 8-12 week work-out program for myself to work myself hard, of course not over-exertion though. I'll start out slow and make my way up to my goals which I have yet to set since I need to learn my pace. I have about 30 something exercises to do a week, including running 3x a week. I am doing all these exercises with no equipment, just me and my body. There is a lot you can do without equipment.
My first rough sketch of my workout schedule is:
Sunday: Lower Body
Monday: Upper Body, Running
Tuesday: Core/Abdominals
Wednesday: Running (Slight break day. Yay. :D)
Thursday: Lower Body
Friday: Upper Body, Running
Saturday: BREAK DAY. :D
It'll change once my soccer season starts, considering i'll have practices from 9am-12pm everyday except sunday in the summer. and then once school starts. Other than that, this seems like it could work out for me. Please give me ideas for exercises, I will list all the current ones I have right now in my list. I'll appreciate any feedback. (:

Current exercises: Push-ups(including the variations of close-grip, wide-grip, decline, fingertips, jump, clap, behind the back clap), Sit-ups, Bicycle Sit-ups, Crunches, Chin-ups, Pull-ups, Step-ups, Squats, Squat Thrusts, Squat Jumps, Foot Fires, Mountain Climbers, Jumping Jacks, Star Jumping Jacks, Lunges, Crab Walk, Dips, Ski Jumpers, Side Hops, Forward/Backward Hops, Planks, Side Planks, Hydraulics(similar to planks), Supermans, Leg Lifts(Both Timed and Amount)

Please add more to my list please. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you all, and good luck to all of you in your workouts. (:
KyKy

Post by KyKy »

Update: I have written the rough draft of the chart. I will be starting next Sunday. Please give me feedback on this chart and what you think I should add/delete. Increase or lower sets or the amount of reps. I am a mildly fit soccer player. Weight around 190. Height 5'8. Age 16. Not considered 'fat' but pudgy yes. (:
Workout Chart:

Sunday: Lower Body
Squats 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Squat Jumps 5 sets 7/9/5/5/7
Squat Thrusts 3 sets 4/6/4
Side Hops 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Forward/Backward Hops 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Ski Jumpers 5 sets 15/20/12/12/15
Lunges 5 sets 10/15/9/9/12
Step-ups 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20

Monday: Upper Body/Running
Push-ups 5 sets 10/15/10/10/12
Chin-ups 5 sets 2/3/1/1/3
Pull-ups 5 sets 1/2/1/1/2
Dips 5 sets 10/12/7/7/9
Planks 2 sets 30 sec/30 sec
Side Planks 2 sets 20 sec/20 sec
Close-grip Push-ups 5 sets 5/7/4/4/6
Wide-grip Push-ups 5 sets 5/7/4/4/6
Running 4 sets 2 minutes jogging/ 1 1/2 minutes walking

Tuesday: Core/Abdominal
Sit-ups 5 sets 15/20/12/12/15
Crunches 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Bicycle Sit-ups 5 sets 15/20/12/12/15
Supermans 3 sets 30 sec/ 30 sec/ 30 sec
Leg lifts 3 sets 30 sec/ 30 sec/ 30 sec
Leg lifts 5 sets 15/15/15/15/15 (each leg gets 15)
Hydraulics 3 sets 20 sec/ 20 sec/ 25 sec
Crab Walk 3 sets 30 sec/ 30 sec/ 30 sec

Wednesday: Running

Thursday: Lower Body
Lunges 5 sets 10/15/9/9/12
Step-ups 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Ski Jumpers 5 sets 15/20/12/12/15
Side Hops 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Forward/Backward Hops 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Squats 5 sets 20/25/15/15/20
Squat Jumps 5 sets 7/9/5/5/7
Squat Thrusts 3 sets 4/6/4

Friday: Upper Body/Running
Push-ups 5 sets 10/15/10/10/12
Planks 2 sets 30 sec/ 30 sec
Side Planks 2 sets 20 sec/ 20 sec
Clap Push-ups 5 sets 5/7/4/4/6
Fingertip Push-ups 5 sets 5/7/4/4/6
Decline Push-ups 5 sets 5/7/4/4/6
Chin-ups 5 sets 2/3/1/1/3
Pull-ups 5 sets 1/2/1/1/2

Saturday: BREAK
andros414

Post by andros414 »

Congrats on 100 pages. :D

To be honest, I can't believe I'm actually doing this, but I feel like I must to do something, so only a few questions (that have probably already been answered in multiple posts) to start:

1. What's the danger of running on concrete (such as roads and sidewalks)? Is it because it causes more impact/stress on joints when running or something else?

2. For someone starting from nothing (I spend most of my time sitting at the computer, except when I have very light chores to do), is it better to focus on just the 0-5k challenge to start, or would it be safe to start both the running and 100 push-up challenge at about the same time? The idea would be to alternate my running days with my push-up days, with one day of complete rest each week.

3. Diet. How vital is this in the short term, when first starting the challenges? I hardly eat as it is, usually small amounts with a moderate meal for dinner (due more to budget constraints than bad habits), and have almost no sodas (I actually prefer to drink water over soda and such).

If it matters (I doubt it, but it may be a good idea to record this somewhere for later), I'm about 73in/185.45cm and when checked March of 2011 (before a minor surgery), weighed near 301lb/136.5kg.
Shizune > Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Welcome to new Emi-bros :D

Yes, you should play the Emi route through. It's very different to the Hanako route, but also really good :D

From my time doing pushups, I understood that a good way to work out how many repetitions of the same exercise to do, would be to do as many as you possibly could, then do for example 5 sets consisting of 2/3 of that amount. Not sure how that's affected if you're doing lots of types of exercise rather than just the one though.

re: andros:
1) It depends. If you're overweight or a bit older or have knee problems then running on concrete is bad as you'll be very likely to give yourself worse knee problems. If you're young and relatively healthy and thin than running on concrete is probably fine. Leastways, I've never had a problem with it. If you run and thud onto the ground, as opposed to running on the balls of your feet, it'll be harder on your joints.

2) Depends on how adventurous you are. There's absolutely nothign wrong whatsoever with alternating like that.

3) Define vital. If you're on the perfect diet, the challenges will be far, far easier than on a terrible diet, but it's possible on bad diets.
If you're on a low-food diet though, it'll impact on your energy levels and may mean that after your run you'll feel exhausted for a while. If you have to choose between the two, I'd suggest the 100PU exercise because it'll take less energy to complete.
Also, you may want to do just one exercise at once if you're on a low-energy diet, since draining your energy 6 days a week could be tiring. Depends on yourself and how you get on I guess, if you do both and feel fine more power you :)
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
ook

Post by ook »

just got back from my 2nd 5k race, I beat my previous time by 4 minutes. :D

Somewhere in the first mile, some random lady started talking to me, so we ran together the rest of the way. It was cool to have someone to run with. Before that, I was actually planning to just give up and walk the last couple miles, but then I was like "no, I gotta keep going, I can't let her down." And I'm so glad I did.
I'm glad she came along.

I sprinted the last 30 seconds or so, and it felt awesome. :D There was a photographer there and I thnk she captured a picture of me running across the finish line with a big ol' smile on my face. I'll post it if it gets uploaded somewhere

@andros:
Running on concrete isn't dangerous as long as you focus on having good form. Running lightly rather than "pounding the pavement" as they say.
Since you were 300 lbs you should especially be extra careful about that. But it should be fine, I was over 300 when I started this too, and ran on concrete, and never got hurt. You'll be losing weight before you know it, good luck.
Diet is always vital for being healthy (which I'm guessing is why you're starting exercise), but don't worry too much about it right now. As you get going and start forming healthy habits, you'll just naturally start to get interested in having a good diet (at least I did).

@Kyky:
That looks impressive. 8) But unfortunately I am a total beginner (as are a lot of people here) and have no idea what half of those exercises are. much less any advice to give on them. :p
Only thing I can say, I'm not sure about running the day after a lower body workout, as running also works the lower body. You might want to do lower body/running on the same day, rather than upper body/running. To give your legs a day to recover.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

He, how's everyone doing here? :) Been away for a while, had a little vacation and internet break the last 2 weeks. I also stopped running/doing push-ups during 2 weeks, i just needed 2 weeks of flat rest lol. Anyway, tomorrow i'm gonna start running again, so 'ill be around here again more often too, AND i'll also finally play the last paths in KS.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Camoufrage

Post by Camoufrage »

Late but happy 100 pages! This must be one of the biggest non-dev made thread...
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Camoufrage wrote:Late but happy 100 pages! This must be one of the biggest non-dev made thread...
Correct, second-biggest non-dev after http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1274

Exercise is not going well for me right now at all. Weekdays I get up, go to work, get home, crash; weekends I'm using the last chance I have to see my friends on a regular basis before we move all over the country for university and all. I don'tk now, do you guys think if I stuck it out with exercising on weekdays anyway that I'd get used to it and be able to cope?
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
KyKy

Post by KyKy »

@ook

I was thinking the same thing. It was just a rough draft for now, and I was going to change that over to that most likely. I'm starting next Sunday so I still have plenty of time to tinker around and make sure it's good. Thanks for the advice. (: I've also been trying the 100 push-up challenge, the 200 sit-up challenge, and the 200 squat challenge. xD I only got 20 something on pushups, 40 something on sit ups. But amazingly, I got 207 in one session of doing squats. :D I guess playing soccer greatly improved my lower body strength, but not my upper body or core. I'll be working hard this summer and fall. Good luck to everyone else who is starting to exercise.

I'll post my updates on the sit-ups, squats, push-ups and running regularly. And I wish you all the best of luck. :D
KyKy

Post by KyKy »

@dwarduck

It does seem like you have a busy life, so if you CAN manage the time and energy. Start out really slow, and see how it feels. If it exhausts you too much, and you slow it down a bit more, or just stop. If you feel okay afterward, continue doing the same pattern for a week or two, until you get used to it and you can do it without feeling tired afterwards. And then slowly increase the amount you do. Setting a good pace is the key to getting good exercise. Make sure not to overexert yourself. If you are able to get into the habit of doing such, you should have no problem with working and exercising. You just might be a little tired than normal during the first few weeks until you get used to the change. Hope i've been helpful. And good luck to you! :D
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Althamus wrote:I'd suggest the 100PU exercise because it'll take less energy to complete.

o.0 In what universe? Maybe it's because I'm a scrawny little bastard, but the 100 PU challenge is far beyond my capacity. On the other hand, I could've done the 5k before I even started exercising. (Albeit slowly)

On topic, the exercise is proceeding well. I'm alternating between running days and light muscle group days without any rest days to separate them, which is probably good considering I'm rarely ever sore anymore. (Something that bothers me a little, but not much. Does lactic acid measure progress, or am I just not working out hard enough?) I've set my goal for running to be 10 consecutive laps around the block every time, which I think is a little over 3 miles, given the size of my block. I still feel that every time I go out I could run more than 10, but I'm hesitant to stay out too long after 12 am.

Muscle grouping exercises are a lot more freeform. My goal is of 100 nonconsecutive push ups per day, with 20 being the most probable group size, although I could and have done 40 at once to save time. Then I'll do core, generally mixing up planks, crunches, leg lifts, bicycle kicks etc. Probably the most "Do it as you think of it" routine of the group. Finally, I'll occasionally do lunges, although I think legs are covered pretty well by the runs.

I do have a question, though. I don't have any weight lifting equipment, so all I've been doing is resistance training, ie push ups. I don't think that it's best to focus entirely on one exercise for strengthening my arms though, but I can't think of any other options (With the exception of fisted push ups, which work out a different muscle.) Any other resistance arm exercises I can use?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"