Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Jerith

Re: Ask!

Post by Jerith »

I've been wondering, why did you choose to go with a regular heartbeat in the intro’s EKG despite Hisao having arrhythmia, which by definition means his heartbeat would be irregular on an EKG? Also, read an earlier post saying he also has Long QT which also doesn't show up. As a human bio. major its been bugging me ever since I first started this game.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

Is the only use of red text in the game a reference to the Higurashi/Umineko VNs?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Jerith wrote:I've been wondering, why did you choose to go with a regular heartbeat in the intro’s EKG despite Hisao having arrhythmia, which by definition means his heartbeat would be irregular on an EKG? Also, read an earlier post saying he also has Long QT which also doesn't show up. As a human bio. major its been bugging me ever since I first started this game.
These are just design decisions that we made because they felt the best for us. The regular EKG is iconic and immediately recognizable and that's why it's used. It doesn't represent Hisao's heartbeat. Hisao has long QT syndrome but it's not mentioned because we felt it would be meaningless exposition.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Woody Alien wrote:Is the only use of red text in the game a reference to the Higurashi/Umineko VNs?
No.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Aura wrote:
Jerith wrote:I've been wondering, why did you choose to go with a regular heartbeat in the intro’s EKG despite Hisao having arrhythmia, which by definition means his heartbeat would be irregular on an EKG? Also, read an earlier post saying he also has Long QT which also doesn't show up. As a human bio. major its been bugging me ever since I first started this game.
These are just design decisions that we made because they felt the best for us. The regular EKG is iconic and immediately recognizable and that's why it's used. It doesn't represent Hisao's heartbeat. Hisao has long QT syndrome but it's not mentioned because we felt it would be meaningless exposition.
I'm not a doctor but my dad was, and it looks like it could be a long QT ECG to me. Of course, it could be showing Hisao's ECG after he's been on medication, too.

regular (top) vs long QT (bottom)
http://www.bostonscientific.com/lifebea ... 16x380.jpg

KS opening ECG
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I'm more perplexed by people calling an EKG lacking the P wave "regular".
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

haita

Post by haita »

I have a question about the license as applied to the soundtrack.

The main game is licensed under CC-NC-ND, so creating derivative works requires permission. That would include derivatives of its soundtrack, such as YouTube performances or transcriptions to sheet music. The devs don't seem to mind these sorts of derivative works, but I still feel uncomfortable doing something technically illegal, especially when it can be tied back to my real name (again, YouTube).

The devs have explicitly said they don't want anyone trying to extract audio assets from the game, but there's a separate download of just the soundtrack available. It doesn't have a stated license, so I assume it's also CC-NC-ND.

My question is whether the devs would be willing to re-license the downloadable soundtrack, and only that, to the CC-NC license. This wouldn't affect the game's licensing, but would permit legal creation of non-commercial derivative works (sheet music, performances, arrangements) based on the soundtrack.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

haita wrote:I have a question about the license as applied to the soundtrack.

The main game is licensed under CC-NC-ND, so creating derivative works requires permission. That would include derivatives of its soundtrack, such as YouTube performances or transcriptions to sheet music. The devs don't seem to mind these sorts of derivative works, but I still feel uncomfortable doing something technically illegal, especially when it can be tied back to my real name (again, YouTube).

The devs have explicitly said they don't want anyone trying to extract audio assets from the game, but there's a separate download of just the soundtrack available. It doesn't have a stated license, so I assume it's also CC-NC-ND.

My question is whether the devs would be willing to re-license the downloadable soundtrack, and only that, to the CC-NC license. This wouldn't affect the game's licensing, but would permit legal creation of non-commercial derivative works (sheet music, performances, arrangements) based on the soundtrack.
Given that the CC licence has never been tested in court I wouldn't stress too hard...

By you coming here and asking something like "Hey can I do X"? you are effectively applying for (and being granted) a licence.

I would also be interested to read a bit more into the actual terms around a "derivative" work. In Australia it is legal to make a cover of a song, so long as the Copyright provisions and Moral Rights of the original author are maintained.

So a cover/transcription may not actually count as a "Derivative"; because you are doing something that is essentially the same. A Derivative work would have to be a new Work (as defined in the Berne convention) that was substantially based on the original work.

I know that this is probably confusing you too much, so please just ask the original composer (depending on the track) and see if they are happy for you to proceed.

What we were trying to avoid with the licence was people making their own versions of the game with the original assets and passing it off as "authentic" 4LS works (which is a Moral Right not to be falsely attributed). We also wanted people to feel free to share it amongst their friends without thinking that the big bad Copyright police would bash down your doors.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
fireye9

Post by fireye9 »

How did 4LS go about organizing the development team?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

fireye9 wrote:How did 4LS go about organizing the development team?

Found some willing developers.

Locked them in an IRC chatroom.

Threw away the key.

There were early attempts to organise people, but this kind of project needed a group that was able to form and re-form as the task at hand changed.
Initially there were specific "non-artistic" roles like "Head of Writing" and "Producer" but essentially once the ball got rolling these titles meant little. There was a lot of organisation by time zone as well, with people on the leading edge of a time zone filling in people on the training edge, around and around, until a consensus was reached.

A lot of work was done in small groups of 2-4 people as well; e.g. an artist and an author discussing a CG, or two authors and Delta discussing a story flow method...

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
haita

Post by haita »

cpl_crud wrote:Given that the CC licence has never been tested in court I wouldn't stress too hard...

By you coming here and asking something like "Hey can I do X"? you are effectively applying for (and being granted) a licence.
It's not that I'm worried about the devs getting mad, rather, I'd like to avoid the appearance of being cavalier about copyright. For my day job I sometimes get involved in copyright disputes, and it would be (at minimum) very awkward to get caught with license-violating stuff in my video uploads or website.

I understand this is probably an edge case that the dev team would not care much about, but making their stance on music derivatives legally clear would be very helpful to me, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
cpl_crud wrote:I would also be interested to read a bit more into the actual terms around a "derivative" work. In Australia it is legal to make a cover of a song, so long as the Copyright provisions and Moral Rights of the original author are maintained.

So a cover/transcription may not actually count as a "Derivative"; because you are doing something that is essentially the same. A Derivative work would have to be a new Work (as defined in the Berne convention) that was substantially based on the original work.
I can't speak for Australian law, but in the US, there's a fairly strict set of rules about what sorts of derivative works can be created without getting explicit permission, and anything that isn't exactly the original work is derivative. So I could post [4ls]_katawa_shoujo_enigmatic_box_of_sound_[503ACD68].zip without infringing, but a transcription of Nocturne would infringe, and definitely so would a recorded performance (which would be a new Work).
Last edited by haita on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sennit

Post by sennit »

How did you get the sound for the large crowds of people, such as in the cafeteria or at the festival?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

haita wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:Given that the CC licence has never been tested in court I wouldn't stress too hard...

It's not that I'm worried about the devs getting mad, rather, I'd like to avoid the appearance of being cavalier about copyright. For my day job I sometimes get involved in copyright disputes, and it would be (at minimum) very awkward to get caught with license-violating stuff in my video uploads or website.

I understand this is probably an edge case that the dev team would not care much about, but making their stance on music derivatives legally clear would be very helpful to me, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
cpl_crud wrote:I would also be interested to read a bit more into the actual terms around a "derivative" work. In Australia it is legal to make a cover of a song, so long as the Copyright provisions and Moral Rights of the original author are maintained.

I can't speak for Australian law, but in the US, there's a fairly strict set of rules about what sorts of derivative works can be created without getting explicit permission, and anything that isn't exactly the original work is derivative. So I could post [4ls]_katawa_shoujo_enigmatic_box_of_sound_[503ACD68].zip without infringing, but a transcription of Nocturne would infringe, and definitely so would a recorded performance (which would be a new Work).

Actually, the UCC stuff and the Rome convention in the US has largely bee superseded by the adoption of the Berne convention; this is why you don't need to put the (c) logo on anything anymore.

And a performance is not a work. The sound recording is not a Work, but a Copyright Material Other Than a Work, and this is where you get a lot of the "freedoms" that you saw above.

The old Rome/UCC combo in the states actually offered less protection; for example the song "Blue Suede Shoes" was not written by Elvis. The original composer had a car accident after delivering the score. He had intended to record it, but Elvis recorded a "cover" of the work, and when the original singer/songwriter recorded the same song it was considered a cover...

He was made damn rich in royalties however...

Anyway, back to the point, I don't really think there would be an issue, but you should ask the specific musician for the piece that you want to deal with. Once you have their permission then that is that. The owner of the Copyright (which is still all of the original Authors of 4LS) can give out as many licences as they would like.

------
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

During their date Lilly mentions to Hisao that Akira felt that the strict school they attended was suffocating and she left for a job as soon as she was able to. In Japan, only elementary and middle school are mandatory. Does that mean Akira never even attended high school? (and somehow still managed to become a lawyer despite law bar exams in Japan being almost impossible to pass even for seasoned Tokyo U students)
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Malkavi

Post by Malkavi »

A question to Aura(and, by extention, his partner in writing).

Rin's route. It's...outstanding. It's hard to imagine, that someone could design such a character and storyline without referring to his/her own...how should i put it...clouds in the head. So, basically, question is - do you feel like this? Do you have intimate understanding of the issues, which you provided to Rin and Rin!Hisao, or it's just marvellous imagination? In short...(sorry for broadness) - are you "weird" yourself?