Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Cheeseweasel

Re: Ask!

Post by Cheeseweasel »

This question is for Aura. Assuming you wrote Nomiya's lecture on the definition of art (in the scene Eternity in an Hour), is this a definition with which you personally agree or is it simply an explanation of one pre-existing theory of art with which you disagree? If the latter, was it a theory chosen with Nomiya's character in mind, or was the decision to use this definition arbitrary?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Mirrormn wrote:
Aura wrote: No. Projects like this aren't really just thrown out of the window, if and when they die it's a slow death:

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Did the same philosophy apply to specific parts of the project? That is, there are several large portions of the game (unused scripts, art, etc.) that were scrapped in development. Were the decisions to cut those parts slow and agonizing, or were there moments when one of you just suddenly realized "no, this isn't working, this whole thing is just going to have be redone"? Were there any arguments between the developers about which elements could be kept as is, which needed to be revised, and which should be entirely replaced?
Some things were certainly scrapped without much heartache, some we thought about long and hard. Many things we argued over, a memorable one is the third remake of Act 1 which was a big fight between me (who wanted it remade) and delta (who wanted us to move on). With the lack of hierarchy in 4LS, these decisions were quite interesting to make.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Cheeseweasel wrote:This question is for Aura. Assuming you wrote Nomiya's lecture on the definition of art (in the scene Eternity in an Hour), is this a definition with which you personally agree or is it simply an explanation of one pre-existing theory of art with which you disagree? If the latter, was it a theory chosen with Nomiya's character in mind, or was the decision to use this definition arbitrary?
The speech doesn't really reflect my views on the nature of art, but I can agree with some of the things he says. What I wrote is what I imagine Nomiya would think about the subject.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Thought of another few questions guys.

When writing the routes, did you have a main story structure in mind and then add in choices later on, or did you write the routes with the choices in mind? I figure Act 1 can be excepted from this question.

Running on from that, I can only assume that it was each writers' decision to write the choices in their paths. What reasons do you believe can be attributed to the differing amounts of choices in each route, as well as the degree to which they affect the outcome of them? How difficult was it to implement the choices, and was this a factor in how they were implemented?

Cheers, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!

Post by Guest »

I was curious; what were the programs used for making the soundtrack? Especially the drum machine (assuming they're not real drums).
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Guest wrote:I was curious; what were the programs used for making the soundtrack? Especially the drum machine (assuming they're not real drums).
I know NicolArmarfi uses Finale. He's said as much on his Youtube account and various forum posts (which I can't find at the moment, sorry).

Edit: Here, evidence.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Guest wrote:I was curious; what were the programs used for making the soundtrack? Especially the drum machine (assuming they're not real drums).
I've used a few different drum samples but some of my favourites are EWQL Battery, a nice free .sf2 called 'evandro drums' and the drum kits included with airfont. All sequencing was done in Finale and all sampling and mixing was done in FL Studio.
axlryder

Post by axlryder »

I just wanted to thank Aura for creating the character of Rin. While the character interaction in that section of the game was frustrating for me, I found the character herself to be a wonderfully crafted one. It ultimately helped me to get back in touch with some of my own creativity and emotional energy. So thanks n' stuff.

As to a question (and sorry if this was answered), when writing for Hisao in the Rin sections, did you craft his behavior specifically to counter Rin's own idiosyncratic nature, or was it based mostly on a previously designed template for Hisao's personality? Did you perhaps create Rin specifically as someone who you felt Hisao would have a hard time understanding in order to go with the general theme of understanding, or was that aspect more of a coincidence? Something else entirely?
KILLTHIS

Post by KILLTHIS »

So, Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot. I was looking for a T-Shirt, or at least the possibility to use the logo itself in order to make one, But I think that's not allowed, right? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything related to this topic. I also noted that Zazzle.com actually sells some, but I've read lots of negative Feedback about them in Germany.

http://www.zazzle.de/katawa_shoujo_tshi ... 0573161888

I'd like to have something like this, because I am pretty much addicted to KS from the very beginning. (And I also wouldn't mind to wear such a T-Shirt, even though I'm a guy. :D )
"God send euery gentleman,
Such haukes, such hounds, and such a Leman." - The Three Ravens
mainframe004

Post by mainframe004 »

KILLTHIS wrote:So, Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot. I was looking for a T-Shirt, or at least the possibility to use the logo itself in order to make one, But I think that's not allowed, right? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything related to this topic. I also noted that Zazzle.com actually sells some, but I've read lots of negative Feedback about them in Germany.

http://www.zazzle.de/katawa_shoujo_tshi ... 0573161888

I'd like to have something like this, because I am pretty much addicted to KS from the very beginning. (And I also wouldn't mind to wear such a T-Shirt, even though I'm a guy. :D )
No, they're not allowed to do that since it's in breach of the game's license. The selling part, at least. If they didn't make KS shirts for profit, this would be perfectly fine.

"We live as we do to show the world what it could be." ~ Machinae Supremacy - Overworld

Paths: Lilly > Hanako > Rin = Emi >>> Shizune
Characters: Hanako > Rin > Shizune > Emi > Lilly
KILLTHIS

Post by KILLTHIS »

But would it be allowed to actually print something on a short on my own? If it's forbidden I won't buy from them because I'm not okay with that issue either.
mainframe004

Post by mainframe004 »

KILLTHIS wrote:But would it be allowed to actually print something on a short on my own? If it's forbidden I won't buy from them because I'm not okay with that issue either.
Yes. People on the forums have been making props, fightstick skins, trinkets, and the like based on the game's elements and the devs have said before that making stuff for personal use is a-okay. Anything bordering on commercial use is a no-no.

From the FAQ:
Suriko wrote:Q: I saw this game for sale. Are you selling this now?
A: No. Four Leaf Studios is not charging for Katawa Shoujo, and never will. If you see anyone selling Katawa Shoujo, charging for "official" merchandise, or using game assets in their for-sale items, please report them. Selling fanworks that do not use official content (including the KS logo) and do not pretend to be official is okay.

"We live as we do to show the world what it could be." ~ Machinae Supremacy - Overworld

Paths: Lilly > Hanako > Rin = Emi >>> Shizune
Characters: Hanako > Rin > Shizune > Emi > Lilly
KILLTHIS

Post by KILLTHIS »

Yeah, that's good to me. I just want something to show my affection with the game, even though that sounds somewhat silly. But I like it and I guess that's what matters. By the way I merely give a single thought about most people, maybe that's a benefit from being autistic, lol. (Oh, and don't bother to answer or ask about it if you're curious, most conversations die after such points, but I'm cool with it. Aspergers (or assburgers, lol) isn't that bad for me and I take it head on.)

Edit: Just out of curiosity - and laziness as well - It's also forbidden to actually use some online shop for this, right? I mean those who actually gives you the ability to upload logos as well, right?
vtiger

Post by vtiger »

Aura wrote:
Derp wrote:Was there a conscious reason that Rin tells Hisao that she loves him but Hisao never tells her back? Or was that the point of the kiss?
This question is actually what has been annoying me most since playing through four of the routes. :P
Maybe he doesn't love her?

And thus hopefully the student was enlightened!

A great big thanks to you for the route, Aura - it highlights something that was earlier a little more difficult for me to visualize in regards to not only "love" but... consensus reality (to use the western term) extremely well!

Lots of love to the whole development team(!) ,I guess - even though you've all heard/read it a thousand times already.
xaolindragon

Post by xaolindragon »

mainframe004 wrote:
KILLTHIS wrote:But would it be allowed to actually print something on a short on my own? If it's forbidden I won't buy from them because I'm not okay with that issue either.
Yes. People on the forums have been making props, fightstick skins, trinkets, and the like based on the game's elements and the devs have said before that making stuff for personal use is a-okay. Anything bordering on commercial use is a no-no.

From the FAQ:
Suriko wrote:Q: I saw this game for sale. Are you selling this now?
A: No. Four Leaf Studios is not charging for Katawa Shoujo, and never will. If you see anyone selling Katawa Shoujo, charging for "official" merchandise, or using game assets in their for-sale items, please report them. Selling fanworks that do not use official content (including the KS logo) and do not pretend to be official is okay.
So I guess just to clarify. I can make anything using KS stuff (likes t-shirts, etc) as long as no one, including me, makes a profit out of it?