Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

themocaw wrote:So. . . who was the artist for that infamous scene, and how do they feel about "Emi's anal face" going memetic?
Pimmy.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Neon Vanguard wrote:So, minor question.

What resource did you ladies and gents use for free sounds? There a specific site you were partial to?
Apple Soundtrack Pro
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Breaker deGodot

Post by Breaker deGodot »

This question is directed at Suriko specifically:
What media inspired you while writing Lilly's arc? In other words, are there any similar stories/games that you would recommend?
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-Francis Bacon

Post by Guest »

Breaker deGodot wrote:This question is directed at Suriko specifically:
What media inspired you while writing Lilly's arc? In other words, are there any similar stories/games that you would recommend?
I'd imagine the Twilight series would be a big one; Lilly and Bella are quite similar in characterization after all
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm not sure if you're serious or if you are trolling, but please do not presume to answer questions like that in place of the people they were asked of.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Guest wrote:I'd imagine the Twilight series would be a big one; Lilly and Bella are quite similar in characterization after all
Mirage_GSM wrote:I'm not sure if you're serious or if you are trolling, but please do not presume to answer questions like that in place of the people they were asked of.
Mmhmm:
Aura wrote:3) Even if you think you know the answer to some question, don't answer it. Misinformation has a tendency to stick around, and the point of this thread is to clarify things, not muddle them up further. I will enforce this one pretty heavily until everyone gets the point. The exception is pointing out that the same question has been answered before (with a link)
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Gandair

Post by Gandair »

A friend wanted me to ask are the skirts in the school uniforms pleated or gathered?

After reading this thread I find I don't have anything specific to ask as a lot has been answered. Would any of the KS crew mind sharing what they thought was the biggest or most annoying hardware/software hurdle during production? Maybe an art piece that was difficult, a section that went through multiple rewrites, code errors with hilarious side effects, the engine having a limitation you had to work around, anything like that which would make an interesting or educational story.

Thanks again for creating this.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Breaker deGodot wrote:This question is directed at Suriko specifically:
It's difficult to pin down direct inspirations. As far as vaguely similar stuff goes... Turn Left, Turn Right is one I can think of off the top of my head. It's kind of a dorky movie, but it was one of the bigger influences and has some similar ideas.

As far as inspirations go (some of these only bear small amounts of input), I guess some of them are:

Movies:
The Color of Paradise
Turn Left, Turn Right
Les Choristes

Anime:
Mariasama ga Miteru
Honey and Clover
Haibane Renmei

Books:
The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy)
The Prodigy (Hermann Hesse)
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Guest wrote:I'd imagine the Twilight series would be a big one; Lilly and Bella are quite similar in characterization after all
I will end you.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Any chance that Kenji has ties to Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove? I watched it again after finishing the last bit of KS to get to 100%, I thought that this is an adult Kenji, complete with conspiracy theories fueled by an unfortunate sexual experience. :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Mysterious Stranger

So was Misha influenced at all by Kirari Shiino, of Kira Kira fame?

The resemblance is pretty uncanny. Pink hair, golden eyes. Shiino, Shiina... their names are nearly identical. Even their personalities are comparable.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ravenlord wrote:Any chance that Kenji has ties to Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove? I watched it again after finishing the last bit of KS to get to 100%, I thought that this is an adult Kenji, complete with conspiracy theories fueled by an unfortunate sexual experience. :)
They draw from similar character themes. There is a homage to the similarity in the game itself.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:So was Misha influenced at all by Kirari Shiino, of Kira Kira fame?

The resemblance is pretty uncanny. Pink hair, golden eyes. Shiino, Shiina... their names are nearly identical. Even their personalities are comparable.
No. Consider, Misha was developed before Kira Kira was even released in Japan.
Mysterious Stranger

Aura wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:The resemblance is pretty uncanny. Pink hair, golden eyes. Shiino, Shiina... their names are nearly identical. Even their personalities are comparable.
Ah, I see. Pardon, but that does give rise to another quick question - when exactly did the idea for Misha come up in development? Obviously she wasn't part of the original Raita sketch.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Aura wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote:The resemblance is pretty uncanny. Pink hair, golden eyes. Shiino, Shiina... their names are nearly identical. Even their personalities are comparable.
Ah, I see. Pardon, but that does give rise to another quick question - when exactly did the idea for Misha come up in development? Obviously she wasn't part of the original Raita sketch.
Pretty early on--I'd say within the first month of serious development we had started talking about the need for a character who could serve as a translator since passing notes back and forth between you and Shizune seemed unnecessarily cumbersome.