Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Gilrond wrote:Was there much disagreement within the team regarding the release date? Did someone feel the game needed more polish, or död everyone pretty much agree that the game was finished?
At the point the release date was set the game was way, way beyond the point of "do we need more polish?". That is to say, no.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Here's a question that's always bothered me.

If Shizune and Lilly are first cousins because their fathers are brothers, why do they have different family names? Shouldn't they BOTH be named Satou or Hakamichi? At one point for a fanfic i was planning on stating that Shizune's parents are divorced and she goes by her mother's maiden name, but you later on see Jigoro referred to as Hakamichi, so what exactly is going on?
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Pyramid Head wrote:Here's a question that's always bothered me.

If Shizune and Lilly are first cousins because their fathers are brothers, why do they have different family names? Shouldn't they BOTH be named Satou or Hakamichi? At one point for a fanfic i was planning on stating that Shizune's parents are divorced and she goes by her mother's maiden name, but you later on see Jigoro referred to as Hakamichi, so what exactly is going on?
Already answered by Suriko http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 660#p69879
Suriko wrote:Also, the brothers thing is a mistake - Jigoro's wife (Mayoi) is Lilly's father's (Hiroyuki) sister.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

ProfAllister wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:Here's a question that's always bothered me.

Already answered by Suriko http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 660#p69879
Suriko wrote:Also, the brothers thing is a mistake - Jigoro's wife (Mayoi) is Lilly's father's (Hiroyuki) sister.
And just how were we supposed to know that when we never see Shizune's mother? I'm going to have to go through those two arcs again and see if i can confirm it, because for some reason that sounds off. Maybe it was a concept note that wasn't expanded on fully, but i just want to double check.
But on the other hand, thanks for giving me a legitimate excuse to sit on my ass and go through more of Katawa Shoujo.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Hongu

Post by Hongu »

Hello, how are you? ^_^ I loved playing through this game, even though I have only done Lilly and Shizune's route so far.
My question might have been answered already, but I'll ask it anyway.
Was there any times during development where there seemed like no hope, or perhaps writer's block? Like, a point in time that made you want to say, "You know, I don't want to continue this.." but eventually you decided, "We need to finish this game."?
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Did you guys ever create a layout for different areas of Yamaku Academy (eg: 1st floor, 2nd floor, dorms, etc.)?
Also, how much info (character full names, back story, etc.) did you guys determine for referencing purposes that was never used in the final release of KS?
Last edited by Kyvos on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!

Post by Guest »

Hongu wrote:Like, a point in time that made you want to say, "You know, I don't want to continue this.." but eventually you decided, "We need to finish this game."?
Hanako's final route, but none of the devs will admit it
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Pyramid Head wrote:
And just how were we supposed to know that when we never see Shizune's mother? I'm going to have to go through those two arcs again and see if i can confirm it, because for some reason that sounds off. Maybe it was a concept note that wasn't expanded on fully, but i just want to double check.
Uh, Suriko is the guy who wrote Lilly's path, so I guess you can take his word for it...
I don't think it was specifically mentioned in the VN.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Guest90206

Post by Guest90206 »

At what point was it determined that there would be the Kenji bad ending? It obviously doesn't sound like something y'all planned right off the bat, so where and how did you guys decide to put it in?
Hanabro to the end.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Guest90206 wrote:At what point was it determined that there would be the Kenji bad ending? It obviously doesn't sound like something y'all planned right off the bat, so where and how did you guys decide to put it in?
Actually the concept of a bad ending where you wound up spending the festival alone was in there pretty early. The idea of having you take a tumble off the roof came later, but there was always going to be a bad ending early in the game that resulted from failing to satisfy any of the conditions for a path. Pretty sure Kenji was tagged for being involved pretty early too, although my memory's a bit hazy on that point.

Post by Guest »

Would you ever sell the IP to a developer to make an Anime out of Katawa SHoujo?
random

Post by random »

how far along into KS's development did you guys decide on Lilly's half-Scottish heritage?
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Which prosthetic limbs does Emi use for running? They wouldn't happen to be Cheetah, would they?
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Hongu wrote:Hello, how are you? ^_^ I loved playing through this game, even though I have only done Lilly and Shizune's route so far.
My question might have been answered already, but I'll ask it anyway.
Was there any times during development where there seemed like no hope, or perhaps writer's block? Like, a point in time that made you want to say, "You know, I don't want to continue this.." but eventually you decided, "We need to finish this game."?
Well sure. Making KS was hard work and it took a long time, it shouldn't be surprise. I can't really point at some specific moment that made me feel that way, and I generally was one of the more resilient devs in that regard, but I'm sure every one of us had at least a few moments like that.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Kyvos wrote:Did you guys ever create a layout for different areas of Yamaku Academy (eg: 1st floor, 2nd floor, dorms, etc.)?
Also, how much info (character full names, back story, etc.) did you guys determine for referencing purposes that was never used in the final release of KS?
Yes we did draw maps of Yamaku (the layout of the school actually was redone 3 times), and we developed background stuff for many characters. There's no extensive, concise bios of anyone written out, not even the main characters. This might be surprising, but a vast majority of our knowledge was and is in our collective headspace and not written down anywhere. It's just how we worked.