Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

darkmelee wrote:how do you guys feel when people claim that parts of the game should have been certain ways, by way of writing/choices or art?

because sometimes, i feel like some people get way too offensive about their own opinions, to the point of arguing wholeheartedly about the smallest detail for little to no gain even if they 'win'.

since this is your project and not theirs, how do you deal with someone questioning your merits on a fundamental level, and not just accepting it as it is?

i understand critique, but the phrase 'what it could have done with person A/plot-point B' gets tossed around a lot. do you think that maybe people had their own ideas about what was going to happen and were disappointed it didn't end up a picturesque copy of their expectations?

i realize i've sorta asked several things, related or not.
Eh, I have even less of a problem with something like that than critique. And I have no problem with getting critique. Everyone is entitled to thoughts and opinions of their own.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents

Post by Guest »

1. Is there an in-game explanation of why there's a stand selling beer at the Yamaku school festival?
2. Was Iwanako's letter actually a photo of a handwritten letter, or just a handwriting-like font? If the former, who wrote it?
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Talifan9 wrote:Is there any estimation for that OST release by the way? (Know it is a fairly new idea, just wondering)
Not at this time, sorry :(!
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

After couple references and some pictures.. I kind of got curious, how much is Hanako related to Hanako-san, the japanese folklore similar to the Bloody Mary?
Hanako = Shizune = Rin = Lilly = Emi
I just don't like categorizing people. Even if Hanako will always be the dearest for me, I still prefer if they all get equal share of love.
rrc2soft

Post by rrc2soft »

Hi Devs!

First, I have said it in other places, but I'll just repeat it here: The game truly rocks, at many levels (as a game, as a source of inspiration, as a story...). Thanks! :D

Now, a (very egoistic) question for all the writers. What resources have you used to learn how to write / create stories? Your tools of the trade :wink:

(RANT/CLARIFICATION ON)
Storytelling has always attracted me since I was young (I literally devour anything related to it), although my own limitations made me convince myself that I couldn't do it (despite some very small attempts like computer game levels that people really liked). But recent events and Katawa Shoujo have inspired me to finally understand my inner voice on how to face the creative process, thus I am ready to pursue the "path of the writer". And from this and other threads I see some of you started with no experience on this matter. So, what resources (books, websites, etc) did you use to help you learn the deep intricacies of writing and storytelling? BTW I know that Rome wasn't built in two days :wink: and I need to practice-practice-practice in order to get my ideas out. But if those resources connect with me and can become a road to get my inner voice out, it'll be nice :D .
(RANT/CLARIFICATION OFF)
Xaviour

Post by Xaviour »

You've obviously worked with these characters quite some time. Personally, I grew very emotional to all the girls in time. Despite getting good ends on every girl (woo!), I still couldn't help but feel the bittersweetness of never being able to repeat the process with the same dedication.

Seems like many, many others who have played the game share my opinion. The players may be relieved to openly declare their affection for the game, but I've barely heard any developers talk about their own emotions towards the characters.
So, artists and writers, did you feel any special affection towards the girl you'd carefully shaped over the course of so many painstaking years?
If not for your own story and art, what of the other girls? Did you feel similarly to the players when playing through other peoples' routes?

For the developers who weren't working on art or story, did you feel any special affection towards the paths? Or was it simply another runthrough of the work so far?
Video - Tribute to Emi Ibarazaki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk1HLHk0m7Y
Rukiri

Post by Rukiri »

First of all thanks for this awesome game.

At one point it was mentioned that the backgrounds are "manipulated" pictures. What program was used for that?
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

A couple of questions for the artists.

During the crowded school hall scenes where the grey figures are used to show other students moving around the halls did any of you want or pitch the idea of replacing the generic figures with ones of students that were your own original creations? It would have been interesting to see orginal creations of the various artists even it was just a static background image like in Emi's race scenes in her arc.

Which among the army of giggling teen-aged girl artists has the funniest laugh? No need to answer this one if it's likely to get art supplies thrown at you. :)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:1. Is there an in-game explanation of why there's a stand selling beer at the Yamaku school festival?
2. Was Iwanako's letter actually a photo of a handwritten letter, or just a handwriting-like font? If the former, who wrote it?
1. No. Of course they aren't selling beer at the school festival. The game backgrounds are mostly referential.
2. The latter.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Deltamon wrote:After couple references and some pictures.. I kind of got curious, how much is Hanako related to Hanako-san, the japanese folklore similar to the Bloody Mary?
Any similarity is coincidental (but we've noticed it too).
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

rrc2soft wrote:Now, a (very egoistic) question for all the writers. What resources have you used to learn how to write / create stories? Your tools of the trade :wink:
I read a lot. That's about it. I've not studied writing or storytelling at all, but instead derived pretty much all of my understanding of writing and storytelling from thinking about and analyzing the writings of myself and others.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Rukiri wrote:First of all thanks for this awesome game.

At one point it was mentioned that the backgrounds are "manipulated" pictures. What program was used for that?
Photoshop
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Otakumon wrote:A couple of questions for the artists.

During the crowded school hall scenes where the grey figures are used to show other students moving around the halls did any of you want or pitch the idea of replacing the generic figures with ones of students that were your own original creations? It would have been interesting to see orginal creations of the various artists even it was just a static background image like in Emi's race scenes in her arc.
Molly and Ryan are in one of the CGs (Molly in two), so I guess we already did that?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Xaviour wrote:You've obviously worked with these characters quite some time. Personally, I grew very emotional to all the girls in time. Despite getting good ends on every girl (woo!), I still couldn't help but feel the bittersweetness of never being able to repeat the process with the same dedication.

Seems like many, many others who have played the game share my opinion. The players may be relieved to openly declare their affection for the game, but I've barely heard any developers talk about their own emotions towards the characters.
So, artists and writers, did you feel any special affection towards the girl you'd carefully shaped over the course of so many painstaking years?
If not for your own story and art, what of the other girls? Did you feel similarly to the players when playing through other peoples' routes
As for me, no. Sure, Rin's character is special to me but not in a way you describe.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Aura wrote:
Otakumon wrote:A couple of questions for the artists.

Molly and Ryan are in one of the CGs (Molly in two), so I guess we already did that?
I see. I thought the class pic was mostly tributes to existing characters from other sources, I didn't know any of them was original. Thanks for the answer.