~ What does this mean

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Polydunami

Re: ~ What does this mean

Post by Polydunami »

Yeah, when I said Japanese voices, I was being a little too specific. What I was trying to say is that there is no voice acting for this game. Therefore, there are no voices to be dubbed into different languages.

I guess I'm kind of a semantic guy. Sorry for any confusion.
I like being funny. Now if only I had the talent for it...

Current opinion of the five main girls:

Shizune > Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi
Calessa

Post by Calessa »

Just to be clear here, dubbing does not require another language to exist first. The original Japanese voices of an anime is still a dub. Thus why you often hear "Which dub do you prefer, Japanese or English?".

The term dub as used in film dates back to the 1920's when audio was added to the early films, in a process called doubling; now shortened to just 'dubbing'.

Anime fans should be intimately familiar with the concept of a dub moreso than the majority of other interest groups, but have the most misconceptions about what a dub is due to the ill-termed 'sub vs. dub' conflict -- both are dubs. One just is in a foreign language with a subtitle track in place.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Calessa wrote:Just to be clear here, dubbing does not require another language to exist first. The original Japanese voices of an anime is still a dub. Thus why you often hear "Which dub do you prefer, Japanese or English?".
That's what I thought as well, but according to this article, dubbing seems to refer specifically to the replacement of the original voices, be it for translation, censorship or other purposes.
(It's not stated explicitly, but strongly implied.)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Mirage_GSM wrote:That's what I thought as well, but according to this article, dubbing seems to refer specifically to the replacement of the original voices, be it for translation, censorship or other purposes.
(It's not stated explicitly, but strongly implied.)
Wikipedia wrote:Dubbing is the post-production process of recording and replacing voices on a motion picture or television soundtrack subsequent to the original shooting. The term most commonly refers to the substitution of the voices of the actors shown on the screen by those of different performers, who may be speaking a different language.
Yeah, that's pretty explicit.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Calessa

Post by Calessa »

Wikipedia is not a dictionary. That's common modern usage, however, if you actually pick up a dictionary you'll also see that one of the definitions of the word 'dub' is "to add (music, speech, etc.) to a film or tape recording (often followed by in )."
Calessa

Post by Calessa »

I should probably register so I can actually edit my posts -.- Sorry for the double post. Allow me to point something out --

Dubbing is the post-production process of recording and replacing voices on a motion picture or television soundtrack subsequent to the original shooting. The term most commonly refers to the substitution of the voices of the actors shown on the screen by those of different performers, who may be speaking a different language.

The first sentence is flawed in that it makes the replacement of voices mandatory, when it is not, and as such is a poorly constructed sentence. The part I bolded is the important part -- GENERALLY, we use the term dubbing to refer to ADR work where one language is being recorded over another.

Not that it really means much, but I am an audio engineer and my roommate graduated with a degree in film -- I'm very confident on this.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Calessa wrote: The term most commonly refers to the substitution of the voices of the actors shown on the screen by those of different performers, who may be speaking a different language.[/i]
That's what I meant by "not explicitly but strongly implied."
Hmm... Of the two dictionaries, the first agrees with wikipedia and the second has no mention of this meaning at all...
I think your explanation makes sense and I always used the word that way, but so far I haven't found any source for it.
By the way, the fact that a word is used in a certain way by a special profession does not mean that that usage is also correct in regular language. There are several expressions in my line of work that would never be used in that way by anyone not affiliated with that business.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

But every anime's voice track is superimposed after being animated. That's a big part of why there are generally only mouthflaps in animu rather than detailed lip movements (also for cost saving, but yeah).

So it's a dub, whatever the language and whether or not it's the first one. The voice track is added by an external source (it doesn't come from drawn characters).

Hell, EVERYTHING animated is dubbed, whether it's animated first or after the sound being recorded, because the images themselves make *no noise*.

Movies on the other hand, the actors DO make noise that CAN be recorded and used in the final product - often, though, they'll re-record the speech and sound effects later in little booths to superimpose (seamlessly, hopefully) over the original footage. This same process can also happen a second (or more) time by the same or another studio with completely different people to the original actors giving voices in a different language.

We all know this, so why are we even debating it?
WarPigeon

Post by WarPigeon »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hmm... Of the two dictionaries, the first agrees with wikipedia and the second has no mention of this meaning at all...
Oh sorry, wrong URL.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1317414905
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice that page had additional subpages...
That seems to solve the problem.

@limbless: Because language is a very interesting subject ;-)

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Limbless wrote:But every anime's voice track is superimposed after being animated. That's a big part of why there are generally only mouthflaps in animu rather than detailed lip movements (also for cost saving, but yeah).

So it's a dub, whatever the language and whether or not it's the first one. The voice track is added by an external source (it doesn't come from drawn characters).
Wrong-o
In both Japan and America, voices are traditionally recorded before the animation is produced. This is true from Gurren Lagan to The Little Mermaid to Halo. The prime exception, of course, is when it is being redone in a second language.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

So we're discussing semantics now?
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Sajomir wrote:
Limbless wrote:But every anime's voice track is superimposed after being animated. That's a big part of why there are generally only mouthflaps in animu rather than detailed lip movements (also for cost saving, but yeah).

Wrong-o
In both Japan and America, voices are traditionally recorded before the animation is produced. This is true from Gurren Lagan to The Little Mermaid to Halo. The prime exception, of course, is when it is being redone in a second language.
He's not stating whether they were recorded first or later. He's saying that the sound is added over the animation once the animation is done.
Note the word "superimposed". To wit;
Limbless wrote: Hell, EVERYTHING animated is dubbed, whether it's animated first or after the sound being recorded, because the images themselves make *no noise*.

Movies on the other hand, the actors DO make noise that CAN be recorded and used in the final product - often, though, they'll re-record the speech and sound effects later in little booths to superimpose (seamlessly, hopefully) over the original footage. This same process can also happen a second (or more) time by the same or another studio with completely different people to the original actors giving voices in a different language.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Worthington wrote: He's not stating whether they were recorded first or later. He's saying that the sound is added over the animation once the animation is done.
Note the word "superimposed". To wit;
huh guess so, my bad.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D