Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zilveri

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Zilveri »

I am now playing Yume Miru Kusuri: I really enjoyed Nekoko's route and now I'm almost finished Kirimiya's (I don't like this as much as Nekoko's), so it's just 1 left. I have also downloaded Narcissu (both), so it's next in line. After that, I was thinking about Clannad, but I don't know yet. Any other free ones that I should try?
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Zilveri wrote:Any other free ones that I should try?
True Remembrance - This is a must, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the praise it deserves in these forums. Probably a little longer (and in my opinion much better) than Narcissu. Devs also rated it their second favourite VN on the first page.
Juniper's Knot - A very nice but very short one. Should take you an hour at most. Very well told story, fantastic writing and one of the few good OELVNs.
don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story - This one is done by the same author as Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story. Honestly it isn't that good, but it is still okay and probably worth a read if you are bored. Also short.

Digital: A Love Story is also quite well recieved. Personally I didn't like it that much, but the concept was interesting. Its sequel, Analogue, is currently available on Steam for cheap. Another very short one, possible to complete in an hour or so depending on how long it takes you to figure out that one puzzle.

LEAVEs, Tokyo Alice and Brass Restoration also get a lot of praise, although I haven't played any of them so I can't comment.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Flutterz wrote:Will do! Do the routes make more sense that way?
It's less about a certain order making more sense than it is the Shiraki arc being one of the worst I've read in a VN thus far. When I played YMK, I completed Kirimiya's first (which I absolutely adored) - but then I made the mistake of playing Shiraki's next, and I loathed pretty much every second of it. After that the Nekoko route just wasn't as compelling to me.

I'm sure other people feel differently, but that was my experience. Basically save the Shiraki arc for last, just in case it colors your perception of the other two.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Zilveri wrote:Any other free ones that I should try?
True Remembrance - This is a must, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to get the praise it deserves in these forums. Probably a little longer (and in my opinion much better) than Narcissu. Devs also rated it their second favourite VN on the first page.
Juniper's Knot - A very nice but very short one. Should take you an hour at most. Very well told story, fantastic writing and one of the few good OELVNs.
don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story - This one is done by the same author as Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story. Honestly it isn't that good, but it is still okay and probably worth a read if you are bored. Also short.

Digital: A Love Story is also quite well recieved. Personally I didn't like it that much, but the concept was interesting. Its sequel, Analogue, is currently available on Steam for cheap. Another very short one, possible to complete in an hour or so depending on how long it takes you to figure out that one puzzle.

LEAVEs, Tokyo Alice and Brass Restoration also get a lot of praise, although I haven't played any of them so I can't comment.

Analogue isn't a sequel, it's more of a companion to Digital.

The only thing similar about them is a somewhat computer-esque environment, really.

But Analogue: A hate story is actually well worth the money I spent. It's a little silly, yet downright depressing at the same time. The best way I could describe it is a Grimm fairytale that actually has a happy ending, (Depending on what ending you go for, if you don't act like a prick...)
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote:It's less about a certain order making more sense than it is the Shiraki arc being one of the worst I've read in a VN thus far. When I played YMK, I completed Kirimiya's first (which I absolutely adored) - but then I made the mistake of playing Shiraki's next, and I loathed pretty much every second of it. After that the Nekoko route just wasn't as compelling to me.

I'm sure other people feel differently, but that was my experience. Basically save the Shiraki arc for last, just in case it colors your perception of the other two.
All down to opinion really. Personally I consider Mizuki's (or Kirimiya if you want) to be one of the worst routes I have read in a VN and just thought it was hours of mindless fucking, whereas I thought Aeka (Shiraki's) route was fine, and I know plenty of people out there hate Nekoko route. Ultimately you shouldn't go in with any expectations Flutterz You'll probably like one of the routes, hate one of the others and be nuetral on the other, since most people seem to do that.

But then again YMK wasn't exactly a good VN anyway.
Shadowyeclipse wrote:But Analogue: A hate story is actually well worth the money I spent. It's a little silly, yet downright depressing at the same time. The best way I could describe it is a Grimm fairytale that actually has a happy ending, (Depending on what ending you go for, if you don't act like a prick...)
Yeah, I decided to buy it because why the hell not? Only cost 74p so I'll get around to reading it sometime, preferably when I'm bored and have nothing better to do.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Nobody in Particular wrote:All down to opinion really. Personally I consider Mizuki's (or Kirimiya if you want) to be one of the worst routes I have read in a VN and just thought it was hours of mindless fucking, whereas I thought Aeka (Shiraki's) route was fine, and I know plenty of people out there hate Nekoko route. Ultimately you shouldn't go in with any expectations Flutterz You'll probably like one of the routes, hate one of the others and be nuetral on the other, since most people seem to do that.

But then again YMK wasn't exactly a good VN anyway.
I honestly don't understand how anyone could see the Shiraki arc as "fine". From my perspective it was a complete and utter clusterfuck of bully cliches, tedium, and nonsense. And it's true that there was a metric ton of H-scenes in Kirimiya's route, but they served a purpose in the story. So in that sense it wasn't mindless.

You're right though, YMK isn't exactly the VN to go to war over. Over which to go to war.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

So I'm finished with Yume Miru Kusuri. It was decent, none of the routes were too bad, but similarly none of them were great either. If I had to sort them, I'd say Aeka>Nekoko>Mizuki. I guess I'd still recommend it, but I'd recommend pretty much everything else first.
Next up will be Steins;Gate. Does it have the same 3D scenes as Chaos;Head? Because if it does I'll most likely have to play it at home, and get the next one on my list, Symphonic Rain, for reading on the go.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Nobody in Particular

Flutterz wrote:Next up will be Steins;Gate. Does it have the same 3D scenes as Chaos;Head? Because if it does I'll most likely have to play it at home, and get the next one on my list, Symphonic Rain, for reading on the go.
Well I haven't played much of Steins;Gate, but from what I saw it seems to be completely 2D. Don't see why that would change anytime later in the VN.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Flutterz wrote:Next up will be Steins;Gate. Does it have the same 3D scenes as Chaos;Head? Because if it does I'll most likely have to play it at home, and get the next one on my list, Symphonic Rain, for reading on the go.
Well I haven't played much of Steins;Gate, but from what I saw it seems to be completely 2D. Don't see why that would change anytime later in the VN.
But Chaos;Head wasn't 3D from the very start either... Oh well, I guess I'll give it a try on my netbook and hope for the best.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

If in case any MuvLuv fans wanted to read Altered Fable, the first partial patch is out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xjjv6a4441konea

Source: http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/75462882#q75462882

(The VN kinda sucks, though, sadly.)
Nobody in Particular

Flutterz wrote: But Chaos;Head wasn't 3D from the very start either... Oh well, I guess I'll give it a try on my netbook and hope for the best.
But it was. It probably took less than 5 minutes for something 3D to happen.
acewing905 wrote:If in case any MuvLuv fans wanted to read Altered Fable, the first partial patch is out.
It's nice to see that they are making progress. I'm going to wait until it is fully released, but I'm looking forward to it.
acewing905 wrote: (The VN kinda sucks, though, sadly.)
What makes you say that? Is it just more of Extra, or is it bad even by those standards?
Last edited by Nobody in Particular on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Flutterz wrote: But Chaos;Head wasn't 3D from the very start either... Oh well, I guess I'll give it a try on my netbook and hope for the best.
But it was. It probably took less than 5 minutes for something 3D to happen.
I suppose you're right. In any case I'm in chapter 2 and it's working fine, so there shouldn't be any problems.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Flutterz wrote:
acewing905 wrote:If in case any MuvLuv fans wanted to read Altered Fable, the first partial patch is out.
It's nice to see that they are making progress. I'm going to wait until it is fully released, but I'm looking forward too it.
acewing905 wrote: (The VN kinda sucks, though, sadly.)
What makes you say that? Is it just more of Extra, or is it bad even by those standards?
It's a lot like Extra in the beginning, but later it turns to shit with a 24 parody ("CHUCK SAUBER" HURRRR), and the final nail in the coffin is that none of the "routes" (if they can be called as such in the first place) have any proper conclusion.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

So I've finished Steins;Gate, and it was great. It felt like a refined version of Chaos;Head. For starters it actually worked on my netbook, unlike Chaos;Head. It does the whole subtle choice thing much better. Not only is it used more than 3 times, but the concept is better in general, using (or not) your cell phone seems to give you more control and be more influential than sometimes getting a good or bad delusion. It has many of the same themes as, but while C;H is more fantasy oriented due to focusing more on the characters' abilities, S;G is more sci-fi oriented due to focusing more on time travel, although both have elements of sci-fi and fantasy. And I have to say I generally like sci-fi more :P The characters are much more relatable, most likely due in part to the fact that you spend a lot more time with them than you do in C;H. Finally, the story is much more interesting and complicated, it seems to do a better job of explaining itself, and because all the events are tightly interwoven, most reveals are strongly hinted at beforehand.

Now that I think about it, I've done 7 VNs over the course of November. I think I may have too much free time...

Up next is Symphonic Rain.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Flutterz wrote:So I've finished Steins;Gate, and it was great. It felt like a refined version of Chaos;Head. For starters it actually worked on my netbook, unlike Chaos;Head. It does the whole subtle choice thing much better. Not only is it used more than 3 times, but the concept is better in general, using (or not) your cell phone seems to give you more control and be more influential than sometimes getting a good or bad delusion. It has many of the same themes as, but while C;H is more fantasy oriented due to focusing more on the characters' abilities, S;G is more sci-fi oriented due to focusing more on time travel, although both have elements of sci-fi and fantasy. And I have to say I generally like sci-fi more :P The characters are much more relatable, most likely due in part to the fact that you spend a lot more time with them than you do in C;H. Finally, the story is much more interesting and complicated, it seems to do a better job of explaining itself, and because all the events are tightly interwoven, most reveals are strongly hinted at beforehand.

Now that I think about it, I've done 7 VNs over the course of November. I think I may have too much free time...

Up next is Symphonic Rain.
Sounds cool.
I'm going to drop 2nd Side and go for Steins;Gate, because as much as I love it, Narcissu pisses me off to no end.

The cellphone concept sounds pretty cool.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.