Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bliisk

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Bliisk »

So out of all these pages of replies... which ones are the ones that are agreed to be the closest to KS?
Right now I'm downloading Yume Miru Kusuri.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:What's the best way for a westerner to be able to get hold of VN's? It seems that, the Fate series aside, most are really tricky to get hold of. (And no, moving to Japan is not an option :lol:)
You can also use JList. They sell VNs with English translations and stuff.
Well, some VNs
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Bliisk wrote:So out of all these pages of replies... which ones are the ones that are agreed to be the closest to KS?
Don't bother trying to chase another KS. Just take a different but still good experience for what it is.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Bliisk wrote:So out of all these pages of replies... which ones are the ones that are agreed to be the closest to KS?
White Album 2. Come to think of it, no other VN I've read is really anything like either of them. Unfortunately the translation project is looking like a train wreck, and besides, you'll really want to read both parts at once anyway, which isn't going to happen any time soon... you'd be better off learning Japanese.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

http://www.fillygamez.com

Welcome To Ponyville is actually a really well done FiM VN that lets you take the role of a pony with a hazy past moving to Ponyville. It has some nice customization options, full, fairly show-accurate voice acting, an interesting friendship/connection system and the ability to make choices not only of what to do but where to go and who to see on a given day. The game is well-written and full of fan service, but compelling enough where I'd wager even a non-fan would still enjoy it. Only the first act is out, but later acts will have dating options and expand on the actually fairly creepy subplots from the first act.

Or they would have, if some jerk hadn't sabotaged the project. Now, Filly Gamez is continuing the story from the first act, but in a different format, one that they have only hinted at. If interested, you may want to check out their website anyways, as the teaser trailer for this continuation shows promise.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:actually fairly creepy
An accurate description of much of that fandom...That's bizarrely not the only VN based on it...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:actually fairly creepy
An accurate description of much of that fandom...That's bizarrely not the only VN based on it...
Yeah, there's another one coming out soon that looks promising called Starswirl Academy, with humanized versions. Wonder who I'll be going for...

And believe me, being creepy is a common trait of pretty much ALL fandoms, the MLP fandom just happens to have grown quickly so it looks worse because the amount of weird is higher in quantity despite being roughly the same proportionally.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

SpunkySix wrote:of ponis
Clop. :roll:

Also, while I doubt the linked image will be representative of the overall quality of the finished product, the very idea that someone with that degree of skill decided to apply it to derivative works sets my teeth on edge. You're good, create something original, for chrissakes!
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Silentcook wrote:

Also, while I doubt the linked image will be representative of the overall quality of the finished product, the very idea that someone with that degree of skill decided to apply it to derivative works sets my teeth on edge. You're good, create something original, for chrissakes!
Heh, I actually played the Starswirl Academy demo before I knew it was connected to MLP. I caught on fairly quickly, though. It wasn't truly horrible, but I thought it was way too heavy on the exposition, and the characters were either bland or annoying. Of course, I'm not the target audience, as I got my fill of FIM after watching two episodes.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

dewelar wrote:
Silentcook wrote:

Heh, I actually played the Starswirl Academy demo before I knew it was connected to MLP. I caught on fairly quickly, though. It wasn't truly horrible, but I thought it was way too heavy on the exposition, and the characters were either bland or annoying. Of course, I'm not the target audience, as I got my fill of FIM after watching two episodes.
Are you aware that the protag was a humanized version of a rock? It's true. Tom the rock.

And I have mixed feelings about derivative works. Some of them manage to capture the spirit of the work they come from so well that they actually end up being better. Others... not so much.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:
dewelar wrote:Heh, I actually played the Starswirl Academy demo before I knew it was connected to MLP. I caught on fairly quickly, though. It wasn't truly horrible, but I thought it was way too heavy on the exposition, and the characters were either bland or annoying. Of course, I'm not the target audience, as I got my fill of FIM after watching two episodes.
Are you aware that the protag was a humanized version of a rock? It's true. Tom the rock.
I...did not know that. That would kind of make him the final evolution of the VN protagonist, then, wouldn't it? :lol:
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

dewelar wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
dewelar wrote:Heh, I actually played the Starswirl Academy demo before I knew it was connected to MLP. I caught on fairly quickly, though. It wasn't truly horrible, but I thought it was way too heavy on the exposition, and the characters were either bland or annoying. Of course, I'm not the target audience, as I got my fill of FIM after watching two episodes.
I...did not know that. That would kind of make him the final evolution of the VN protagonist, then, wouldn't it? :lol:
Correct. Tom is Hisao's true form; a personality-devoid, dumb chunk of a stone who happens to have what it takes to get in errbody's pants.
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

So I just finished reading True Remembrance and besides some weird names like blackiris and mnemonicides, it was suprisingly good, didnt exactly expect that La was an Omega class mnemonicide and knew the main protagonist before., so it was a suprise. I dont neccassarly know about how to write a good story but it was good, though I thought the art on how the characters were drawn a bit weird. And there's also the music which was not bad but also not that great, listening to the same 3 or 4 tracks every few scenes and so did get a bit repetitive.

Think next one will be Narcissu, if and when I will begin that.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

ogorhan wrote:So I just finished reading True Remembrance and besides some weird names like blackiris and mnemonicides, it was suprisingly good, didnt exactly expect that La was an Omega class mnemonicide and knew the main protagonist before., so it was a suprise. I dont neccassarly know about how to write a good story but it was good, though I thought the art on how the characters were drawn a bit weird. And there's also the music which was not bad but also not that great, listening to the same 3 or 4 tracks every few scenes and so did get a bit repetitive.

The music was my biggest gripe with True Remembrance, and I think after a while I decided to turn it off and just listen to music while going through it (god knows what I was listening to, but I suspect it was wholly inappropriate!) The story is a good one though, although my head was spinning for a wee bit towards the end :P

Narcissu's good, also try Juniper's Knot - it's short, but a good story with great artwork, alright music and hawt demon thing.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
ogorhan wrote:So I just finished reading True Remembrance and besides some weird names like blackiris and mnemonicides, it was suprisingly good, didnt exactly expect that La was an Omega class mnemonicide and knew the main protagonist before., so it was a suprise. I dont neccassarly know about how to write a good story but it was good, though I thought the art on how the characters were drawn a bit weird. And there's also the music which was not bad but also not that great, listening to the same 3 or 4 tracks every few scenes and so did get a bit repetitive.

and hawt demon thing.
Haven't played JK yet, but I can still confirm this from looking at the screenshots. The demon thing is, in fact, quite hawt.