Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pechee

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Pechee »

Is there any VN similar to Katawa Shoujo? I mean KS just gives away different and better feeling than other VNs, because (unlike with other VNs) I feel that things in KS could happen in real life aswell (problems are realistic, romance is realistic, sex scenes are realistic etc etc), and this may be the reason I really enjoyed KS more than other VNs that I have played.

So simply: can someone recommend a somehow realistic VN?
...And you thought your English was bad
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Pechee wrote:Is there any VN similar to Katawa Shoujo? I mean KS just gives away different and better feeling than other VNs, because (unlike with other VNs) I feel that things in KS could happen in real life aswell (problems are realistic, romance is realistic, sex scenes are realistic etc etc), and this may be the reason I really enjoyed KS more than other VNs that I have played.

So simply: can someone recommend a somehow realistic VN?
Read the thread. Common sentiment seems to be that KS is pretty damn unique, but several similarly realistic VNs have been suggested here.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Can Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney be considered a VN? If so, that is something worth checking out. But it may not fall under the VN category, I guess, as it has a bit of gameplay as well. I don't know, really, I'm just a beginner to VNs. :)

Anyway, I'm making this post to ask a question. Muv Luv Alternative is the highest rated VN on VNDB, and the story seems good enough from the reviews I've read. (Some noted gore. How much gore is in it, exactly?) But at the same time, it's a sequel, and the original is supposedly bad, according to many that I have asked. Can someone tell me whether Alternative is actually worth playing the first one for?
Mysterious Stranger

Just finished Princess Waltz. Wow. Fucking fantastic. Really, the ending just blew me away. Three relatively minor complaints (major spoilers contained therein):

1) I thought that the game did a pretty shoddy job of establishing that Riko was actually the same person as Liesel. At first I thought they were sisters or something.
2) I didn't get to annihilate April. I really liked Pigeon's resolution, but April's kind of rang hollow. I realized that it was implied that she was also resisting Shichiou, with her preservation of Cecilia, but still, I was waiting for the entirety of the Second Chapter to slash, burn, and murder that bitch. Oh well.
3) It was so obvious that Shizuka was the sixth princess, even before she finally showed herself at the mansion, but it was never outright stated in my playthrough. I expect it's only truly revealed in her ending. I honestly still don't know what to make of this, but it was one of the only things that bugged me about the epilogue.

I'm positively ecstatic that it was my second VN after Katawa Shoujo, because I absolutely adore it. I actually plan on getting all the endings (I finished my first playthrough with Angela), I enjoyed it that much. For those who are beginning to explore the VN genre, like myself, FUCKING PLAY PRINCESS WALTZ!

Ahem. In any case, I was planning on selecting Kira Kira for my third, but I wanted to ask - should I play Deardrops before I play Kira Kira? Or does it matter?
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Don't know if you can read Japanese (or if there is any available translation)
If you're familiar with KEY's work, then you know how it's going to be--comedic, light-hearted, then down-right tragic.

Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

Post by Guest »

acewing905 wrote: Anyway, I'm making this post to ask a question. Muv Luv Alternative is the highest rated VN on VNDB, and the story seems good enough from the reviews I've read. (Some noted gore. How much gore is in it, exactly?) But at the same time, it's a sequel, and the original is supposedly bad, according to many that I have asked. Can someone tell me whether Alternative is actually worth playing the first one for?
Short answer: YES!!!

Long answer: Depends on your patience level and tastes. Muv-Luv Extra is bearable if you treat it as a parody of high-school harem anime. If you can plow through extra without complaining to much or enjoy yourself by snarking your way through it, you should be fine for the rest of the series. Muv-Luv unlimited is more interesting, but ultimately just build-up and character-development.

Muv-Luv Alternative is TEARFUL SALUTE ;_;7: THE VN. If you like emotional hard sci-fi political dramas, then you'll love Alternative. If you like mecha on top of that, you'll really love Alternative. If you don't like the genre, then I can't make any guarantees.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Ahem. In any case, I was planning on selecting Kira Kira for my third, but I wanted to ask - should I play Deardrops before I play Kira Kira? Or does it matter?
It doesn't matter, but since Kira Kira was made first, then go for that.
Pechee wrote:So simply: can someone recommend a somehow realistic VN?
Crescendo is known for realism though I haven't tried it yet. I recently played a free OELVN called Homeward (download link which I think was realistic, but I'm not sure how much. It's not as blatantly realistic as Katawa Shoujo, but it's not as over-the-top as School Days or Yume Miru Kusuri. It has a truckload of technical flaws in the art and story, but the music is respectably good and it has great use of sound effects. It did manage to make me shed a few tears because of my own experiences in life though. Oh and if someone does play and finish this, I have a question to ask. Is it that hard to just JAM IT IN?!?/
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Damn it! I keep forgetting to log in!

Ah well, might as well use this post to vouch for Dengeki Stryker. which is coming out soon. It doesn't look deep or anything, but it looks fun. :mrgreen:
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Megumeru wrote:Don't know if you can read Japanese (or if there is any available translation)
If you're familiar with KEY's work, then you know how it's going to be--comedic, light-hearted, then down-right tragic.

Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life
I'm waiting for the english patch to come out. Hopefully it comes out this year since it is a big project
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Guest wrote:
acewing905 wrote: Anyway, I'm making this post to ask a question. Muv Luv Alternative is the highest rated VN on VNDB, and the story seems good enough from the reviews I've read. (Some noted gore. How much gore is in it, exactly?) But at the same time, it's a sequel, and the original is supposedly bad, according to many that I have asked. Can someone tell me whether Alternative is actually worth playing the first one for?
Short answer: YES!!!

Long answer: Depends on your patience level and tastes. Muv-Luv Extra is bearable if you treat it as a parody of high-school harem anime. If you can plow through extra without complaining to much or enjoy yourself by snarking your way through it, you should be fine for the rest of the series. Muv-Luv unlimited is more interesting, but ultimately just build-up and character-development.

Muv-Luv Alternative is TEARFUL SALUTE ;_;7: THE VN. If you like emotional hard sci-fi political dramas, then you'll love Alternative. If you like mecha on top of that, you'll really love Alternative. If you don't like the genre, then I can't make any guarantees.
Thanks. Alternative sounds great. If Extra has some humour, at least, I guess it's okay. No way to skip Extra and understand the rest, I believe?
Zeon Twilight

Post by Zeon Twilight »

Well, from KS I ended up trying several VN's lately, and oddly enough, one has stuck out for being...interesting to say the least.

Monster Girl quest (Monmusu Quest! Zenshou ~Makereba Youjo ni Okasareru~), if it hasn't been mentioned is a sort of VN/RPG hybrid. I'd say the unofficial tagline of the game might as well be "Came for the Femdom hentai, Stayed for the story" Because it really does have a pretty awesome story that you wouldn't expect given the sheer amount of H in the game (Different Scene for anyone you lose to.)

As far as the quality of the H content, It's well drawn. Not really my thing personally (Femdom/rape. Most the girls are "Monster" Looking, some are cute/sexy, some are...not.) I played it for the plot, and that was enough to keep me interested.

The quick and dirty of it is that you play as a young wanna be hero named Luka in a world of human's and monsters. The monsters are nearly all female, and in order to survive they need certain substances that human males produce. Problem is that the goddess of the Humans forbids interaction and fornication with monsters. This leads to some surprisingly complicated conflicts.

Luka's goal is to try and build a world where humans and monsters can co-exist peacefully, even though the odds are stacked against him on both sides. The story begins on the day he sets out to get his baptism as a hero.

Starts out a little slow, but picks up steam quickly, I was playing into the wee hours of the morning merely halfway through part 1.

Naturally, this one costs a bit if you wanna pick it up legal, if you don't...well, you probably know how that is. But remember that the game is made by a small group of artists from Japan, and they do work hard on the game. It's a story told in 3 parts, but part 3 isn't out yet. Still, I've had an amazing time with parts 1 and 2, which have both been fully translated into English by Rouge translations.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this one. I just wanted to contribute since I can say from personal experience that it is of high quality.
nevrop

Post by nevrop »

I played dont take it personally babe, it just aint your story. I have to say it was pretty good but I think it could have had a better ending.
Mysterious Stranger

Started Kira Kira. So far, so good, although I will say that the translation is of a substantially lower quality than that of Princess Waltz. Still, it's passable. I didn't get into this genre expecting Edward G. Seidensticker quality, wahahaha~.

Will update when I finish the game 100%.
Virgo888

Post by Virgo888 »

I haven't finished the whole game 100% but I've been playing Muv Luv form a while now. For those who don't know, there are 3 stories: Extra, Unlimited and Alternative. Extra is full of humor, and a very lighthearted story, only to become a little emotional at the end. I liked it, and finished every single path. It's not realistic, and every girl will eventually fall in love with the protagonist (come on, that's not a spoiler, it's kinda obvious), but still, it can make you enjoy those characters. About unlimited: Oh crap, that was better than extra in a way. All i can say is that. Have finished 2 paths, and will finish every one also. For what I have read, alternative is really the best, and I'm guessing I'll probably have "the feels" with that story. I recomend it, though it may be a little, chiildish at some times, so if you are gonna play, do it without prejudice.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Virgo888 wrote:I haven't finished the whole game 100% but I've been playing Muv Luv form a while now. For those who don't know, there are 3 stories: Extra, Unlimited and Alternative. Extra is full of humor, and a very lighthearted story, only to become a little emotional at the end. I liked it, and finished every single path. It's not realistic, and every girl will eventually fall in love with the protagonist (come on, that's not a spoiler, it's kinda obvious), but still, it can make you enjoy those characters. About unlimited: Oh crap, that was better than extra in a way. All i can say is that. Have finished 2 paths, and will finish every one also. For what I have read, alternative is really the best, and I'm guessing I'll probably have "the feels" with that story. I recomend it, though it may be a little, chiildish at some times, so if you are gonna play, do it without prejudice.
I'm getting Muv Luv next. Mainly to try Alternative, as that's the highest rated VN on VNDB. I'll get Alternative if I manage to sit through Extra and Unlimited patiently. :D
Vu2010

Post by Vu2010 »

Nominees for worst fanbase ever