Christmas Complications

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Stetson

Christmas Complications

Post by Stetson »

So I decided to write something. I hope it's to your liking. Comments are always appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I gazed at my reflection in the tea cup, I felt myself begin to doze off as the hours started to blend into each other. The soothing shamisen in the background obviously didn’t help clear my drowsy state of mind, but it did make me wonder why exactly a Chinese-themed teahouse would have traditional Japanese music in the background.

Well, it added a special charm to the place, I guess.

I wondered just how many afternoons I’d wasted sitting at this particular booth. Maybe wasted was the wrong word. Spent is probably better, as wasted implied that I felt some sort of regret from spending time at my second window booth from the back. In fact, I’m not sure what I would have done these past few months had it not been for the Shanghai and its reasonable rates on green tea. No doubt I’d be spending the countless hours in my room, and while I’m still spending time alone either way, doing it in a public place makes me feel a little less pathetic. Actually, I’ve never really liked green tea, or the shamisen, and I’m not sure I like them any more than I did when I started coming here.

Hey, at least people here will leave a guy to his own thoughts. I’ve always liked the fact that in public places like this teahouse, any number of people, each harboring their own little world view, will coexist in incredibly close proximity from each other, yet completely ignore the other, while still acknowledging their presence in a subconscious way. Made me feel a little less lonely, having these thoughts.

Those thoughts, however, must have been incredibly enthralling today. Enthralling enough, in fact, that I failed to notice the guest that had so rudely taken the seat in front of me without asking. Of course, if she had asked, I’m not sure it would have turned out any better.

“You think you’ll see how you die if you look in there long enough?”

The tone alone made my fingers go stiff. How long had it been since I heard that voice?

Apparently, long enough to warrant visitation by the opposite party. Damn.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t hear me Na-uh… Hisao. I want you to look at me.”

Hisao? Well, it was certainly closer to what she used to call me, but the strain in her voice from using my first name instead of my last was apparent.
I went through some of the options. I could run like a bitch, and hope I never catch her here again. This option was scrapped quickly, as she was sure to be back the next day, waiting for me, which would result in my inability to spend afternoons at my usual place. I could go off on her and immediately start a heated argument that would cause her panties to bunch up, which might discourage her from further discussion, but my melancholy state prohibited me from acting too angry, god knows I could have any other day. Maybe it was the snow. I ultimately decided on being the bigger person by addressing her courteously and asking exactly what she needed of me.

“You want something Misha? Because if you don’t, I’d appreciate it if you got the hell out. Seeing how I die is preferable to seeing your face right now.”

Smooth.

“You want to be a little bitch Nakai? Fine, screw you,” she answered haughtily as she got up to leave. Fantastic, things seemed to finally be going back to the way I wanted them to.

That is, until she sat back down. Double damn.

“No Hisao, I need to- no, WE need to do this.”

“Misha, as much as I’d absolutely love the chance to do something with you, we haven’t exactly been on what you might call, good terms.”

Understatement of the year. Well, maybe the decade, if there’s nothing else that tops it this last month.

“Think I don’t know that? I wanna fix it Hisao.”

My jaw dropped faster than my brain actually began to comprehend what she was saying. The tea cup that had been making its way to my lips was slowly set back on the green tablecloth.

“…this is completely unexpected. This your idea of a Christmas joke?”

I already knew the answer of course. I’d learned what every one of her facial expressions meant after all our time together, and that face was what we called in the business, the “shit’s serious” face.

“Just hear me out dumbass. We’ve been fighting for too long-“

“Fighting? If I recall correctly, the only time we ever “fought” was when you decided to call me a “worthless cuntrag” and kicked me out of the council. I have been respectfully acknowledging your valuable personal time since then.”

“You’ve gotten a lot more sarcastic Hisao.”

“I’ve gotten a lot of things since then Misha.”

“Just… look, just hear me out alright? Don’t interrupt, or I’ll talk over you.”

Her face kept that stern gaze throughout our entire conversation, if you could call it that. I realized that this might be yet another one of those existential turning points people get. Wow, two in a year, I must be a lucky guy. Well, three if you count the whole heart thing. It’s funny how well I’ve gotten over it.

“Alright, sure. Lay it on me, but not too thick. You know how I hate sappy stuff.”

“Yeah, yeah, just shut up for a minute. Look, I might be willing to admit that we’ve had our… differences in the past-keep that mouth shut Nakai, or I’ll shut it for you.”

Damn, she’s quick. She hasn’t lost it.

“As I was saying, we’re not exactly on good terms, and I want to remedy that. You were an invaluable comrade to us all during your time with the council, which is something I haven’t thanked you for yet.”

“So let’s get to the point Misha. You want us both to apologize for something we both think we did the right thing over. I don’t get it, this isn’t like you.”

It really wasn’t. At first, Misha seemed like your standard loud airhead sidekick. One of those dime-a-dozen characters. But her other side that only seemed to rear its head around the people she decided to trust was anything but standard. And that side of her would never admit to being wrong about something she staunchly defended.

“People change Hisao. You’ve changed, am I not allowed?”

“No, especially when you’re not changing of your own accord. Let me guess, she’s behind this whole business, yeah?”

Her eyes sharpened. Jesus, I forgot how scary she was. It only served to form a smirk on my face, however.

“Did I hit the nail on the head?”

“Don’t push it Hisao. Alright, yeah, it was Shicchan. But I agree with her in a way. This has gone on long enough, and I hate being on bad terms with people I trusted. We can just agree to disagree on this whole fiasco and put it all behind us. Maybe you can even help us out with some council work.”

…what?

Does she think that we can just “agree to disagree” over something like this?

Does she think that I can ever go back to that clubroom without wanting to tear it apart?

Does she think I’m a fucking idiot?

“Request denied, bitch. It’s not something I’m ready to let go of yet, and from the looks of it, neither are you. But that aside, why the hell would Shizune want me back? Hell, if anything, she was madder at me than you were, she just couldn't call me the names she wanted to out loud.”

“Like I said, people change. Hisao, it’s called growing up. We’ve matured, and we hope you have as well. We… we miss you Hisao.”

Goddamn, so this is what she was after. She was going to kill me by giving me a heart attack, disguising the murder as an attempt to reconcile. Those emotional eyes alone could kill any sane man, imagine what they can do to a guy with a heart condition. Fortunately, my slowly growing rage won over the whisperings of my libido.

“Didn’t I tell you to lay off the sap? Tell me why the hell you want me back, or get out. Thanks to you, my tea’s gotten cold.”

“You’ve never even LIKED tea you son of a bitch, and I’ll tell you another thing, maybe if you weren’t so GODDAMN cynical you could understand the fucking favor we’re doing you, you CUNT.”

Ah, there she was again. That fiery goddess, those bouncing drills, that incredibly spiteful tone. Enough to make anybody curl up and cry due to the fear she instilled. But I’ve had time to get used to it, even if it has been a few months. Like riding a bike I guess.

“Favor? I don’t think hanging out with bitches who backstab their so called “most trusted confidant” is something I should be thankful for. Until you “mature” enough to see what you did was completely wrong, I’ll keep being a cynical bastard.”

That cooled her down a little, but they say the hottest flames always burn blue. At least she regained her composure. Honestly, what the hell was she doing without me?

“We did what we thought was right Hisao, you can’t blame us for that. And it helped, didn’t it? Mutou got fired and we thought Hanako would finally get the help she needed-“

“Don’t act like you did her a favor you cunt. If anything, you caused more scarring, just in places you can’t see.” I didn’t feel like being lectured on this point again, so my rebuttal had a little more venom in it than usual. I guess my melancholy mood was lifting.

“So what, we should have just let it keep happening? Sexual harassment is a serious crime Hisao, and she obviously couldn’t talk to anyone about it. We tried to help her, can’t you see that?”

“You put her in the spotlight, there’s a reason people like that keep quiet. I suppose you’ll never be able to understand it though, loudmouthed bitch.”

My god, I’m coming across like an absolute dick.

“Then what the hell would you have done, huh?! Last I remember, all you did was twiddle your thumbs and try to get in our fucking way! You never had a goddamn plan what to do, and if we’d left it up to you, she’d have ended up worse!”

She might have a point, you know. Oh hell, fuck it. I’m on a roll.

“Is there something worse than being at the bottom of a bathtub with your arms slit open?”

“I’m willing to bet it would’ve ended up the same way had we kept you in charge.”

That shut me up. Damn, sunk like a goddamn ocean liner.

“…I would’ve figured something out eventually.”

“That won’t fly Hisao, not with me, and not with Shicchan. We had to do something, and we thought what we did was the best possible choice in that situation. Yes, we should have probably checked up on her, but we thought that the professionals could do a better job of helping her mind heal than we could.”

“So you’re saying that she would have probably died anyway, but at least this way you put some old pervert in jail?”

“That’s not what I said at all you shit head. And besides, putting him in jail is a hell of a lot more than you’ve ever done. Unless causing a nervous breakdown in the school courtyard counts as constructive.”

She’s good at shutting me up. She hasn’t lost that either. But I think it’s time to end it, just like I used to.

“I wanted to get to the root of the problem, you seemed content to just cut the head off. But it doesn’t matter anymore, I already know what kind of people you are.”

“And what kind of people are we Hisao?”

“The kind of people that can’t understand people who are completely different from them, and feel that the only way to deal with it is to expect them to behave exactly like you instead of trying to connect with them. And I don’t take to that kind of intolerance.”

She looked at me with that cobra’s stare, waiting for me to give in, to show the slightest sign of weakness. Maybe if you caught me last week, I thought, but not tonight. I gave her that stare of unflinching indifference to her actions.

Eventually, her stare stopped, and what followed was one of her signature sighs.
I swear, someone could fall in love with the way she sighs. Scratch that, someone already has. I don’t think it worked out too well for him though.

“Fine Hisao, fine. I thought maybe the holiday mood would get you feeling a bit more forgiving, but you’re a cold motherfucker through and through. I’ll give up for now, but she won’t.”

“You owe me for this tea.”

“Come to the council room, we’ve got some imported Ceylon we can make for you.”

“No dice. If you think that would work, you’re on your last legs.”

“…I guess you’re right.”

She got up, those meticulously cared-after drills bouncing as she did so. As she passed me, she slipped me a piece of paper and left a parting remark.

“I wasn’t joking about going to the council room. Please, Hiichan.”

Good thing she wasn’t around to see me clutch my chest.

As soon as she was gone I guzzled down the rest of my tea, which had since gone cold. I gave Yuuko the same 500 yen coin I always give her and walked out to the freezing street. A few days until Christmas, and the weather seemed ready to grace us with a grand old white one.

As I stood on the corner, watching the snow fall chaotically through the night air, I pulled out the slip of paper Misha had slipped me.

“…hell. That’s not fair. That’s not fair at all.”

I gave the paper with the incredibly neat handwriting to the night air, which seemed all too happy to whisk it around here and there.

There was one word on that paper. But it wasn’t the word that did it.

It was those tiny tear stains. The barely noticeable tear stains on the word “Sorry” that signaled the return of my melancholy mood.

“Do I really want to get into this?”

The tumultuous wind seemed to have no reply. Didn’t matter, I wasn’t exactly expecting one.

“Let’s try it one more time then. It’s almost Christmas, after all.”

I put my hands in my coat and started walking. The wind never gave up. I didn’t take that as a good omen, but omens were never something I took too seriously.
Swx

Re: Christmas Complications

Post by Swx »

Wow. This was fan-fucking-tastic. I'm a huge sucker for meloncholy moods and cynical dialogue. This blended both wonderfully. Kudos. I assume this is a one-shot, but i would love to see this continued. I can see EVERYTHING in my head.
Stetson

Post by Stetson »

Thanks a lot, I think it turned out well.

I was actually thinking of continuing this, with an update tomorrow and the finale on Christmas. I still need to figure out where I want to go with it though.
Swx

Post by Swx »

I already have this theory of where you are going to go with it. But I would honestly be extatic if and when you finish it.
Devon

Post by Devon »

Never a dull writer on this forum.

Cheers, brotha. That was Dan Abnett worthy.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

My mind has been blown.

Good job :D
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Truly very good. I'd love to see some kind of continuation.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Stetson

Part 2: Smiles and Sighs

Post by Stetson »

Time for something a little different. And longer. In fact, almost 4 times as long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is ending.

Lakes are filling up with crimson blood that’s pouring down in torrents. Pests are swarming, eating flesh belonging to both the living and the dead. The beast is rising and laying waste to the innocent bystanders of this perfect disaster.

At least, that’s the closest thing I can think of that can accurately describe my current state of mind. And to think, it’s all because of this goddamn letter.

How long have I been staring at it? Five minutes? An hour? Two?

Doesn’t matter, I’m not getting any more jaded than when I opened the son of a bitch.

To say the news was shocking would be selling it short. Hell, it was enough to leave me in this zombified state.

Why the hell’d she do it. Why couldn’t I stop it from happening. Wasn’t this what those goddamn shrinks were supposed to prevent?

Those were the regrets I should be having. Instead, I’m contemplating how neat the handwriting is for someone who’s supposed to be blind.

I’m also wondering whether the tear stains on the paper are hers or mine.

Tear stains…

My eyes shot open as quick as a guillotine. The cold sweat had by then seeped its way through my sleepwear, and the sheets had been strewn about as if by some sort of poltergeist.

“Shit, that’s what I get from going down a trip through memory lane last night, huh? And they say nostalgia is supposed to be a nice feeling.”

I understood that talking to yourself was not healthy in the slightest, but I’ve never been a stickler for taking care of my body, even after my heart thing. Stubborn bastard through and through, I guess.

I noticed the sunlight had since overstayed its welcome in my now-disordered room. To be fair, though, I’ve always kept it like that. Today might have even been a good day according to my usual standards. A quick glance at the digital clock affirmed that it was well past noon.

No surprise, I decided to go for a walk after the teahouse debacle and didn’t get back until two in the morning. Knowing the easiest ways to sneak into the school came in handy sometimes. Especially when those two kept me out later than-

On second thought, it would probably be best not to think about that this early in the morning.

I broke out of my nostalgic reverie and sluggishly raised myself from my ever-comfortable bed.

First, pills. My lifeline. The sole thing keeping me from ending up like-

“Stop that. It’s too early.”

I wondered if I just liked the sound of my voice.

As I swallowed my cocktail of multicolored ovals, I realized my plans for the day were nonexistent. In fact, the bed I had so disrespectfully risen from without a word seemed to be beckoning me to spend more time in its comfortable embrace. The cold seeping in through my window also seemed to second this motion, and who was I to argue with the forces of nature?

Just as I was about to partake in blissful paradise offered by my bed, a raucous noise started to assault my ears. It was the noise usually associated with the knocking on a door. However, this particular knocking felt much more barbaric and rushed. After such a clamor, there was no way I could lose myself in the sweet release of sleep without first dealing with this irksome racket.

“Jesus, since when have I been so popular?”

At least I was awake enough to complain.

I opened the door quickly, the unlocked chain on it rattling as I did so.

“You need somethi-“

“HISAO NAKAI, WHERE DO YOU GET OFF NOT TELLING ME YOU’RE STAYING FOR THE HOLIDAY BREAK?!”

Oh god, I’d rather deal with the knocking.

“Sorry, sorry. Must’ve slipped my mind. I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen next time.”

As I droned on, I made to close the door, but a leg blade blocked my attempt.

“I don’t THINK so Hisao, you’re not getting out of your exercises that easily.”

“Come on, it’s almost Christmas, I think I’ve earned a break.”

She looked at me with those giant eyes full of energetic fury. This was different from Misha’s cobra stare, it was more like a baby animal trying to assert some sort of dominance. I’ve never exactly been able to take it seriously, and I wasn’t about to start, which only served to add to her anger.

“I’m not letting you go Hisao, the Nurse wants me to make sure you’re in good health, and that’s exactly what I’ll do. We’re doing exercises NOW.”

“B-but Emi…”

“What’s your excuse this time Nakai?”

“It’s just that… I’m not exactly… decent.”

Almost there. She was immediately aware of my unbuttoned shirt and baggy sleep pants. Her face started showing just a tinge of red. I became acutely aware of her gaze, although it wasn’t exactly on my face. Perfect.

I hope I’m not coming off as vain, but I don’t think I look bad. And to someone like Emi, who usually never thinks about the opposite sex unless it’s in terms of athletic ability, something like this works like a charm. Such an innocent youth, it almost pains me to take advantage of her.

Time to finish it up.

“Unless of course…”

“W-what?”

“You’re talking about THOSE kinds of exercises.”

That did it. Her eyes went wide and that tinge of red turned into that familiar blush. Those cute little lips started to shake, and I don’t think the sweat that had formed on her brow was because of the jogging she did to get here. I hope the smirk I had came off as alluring and not incredibly smug.

But what I was really waiting for happened soon after. She took her legblade out of my doorway as she stepped back. I immediately took the chance and slammed my door, making sure to make use of the chain lock.

Such a strange girl. I don’t think I’ve ever met anybody who reacts like she does under that kind of pressure. It’s almost ridiculous, in a way. Most girls would just laugh it off, or jokingly go along with it. A few would get offended, but I try not to keep that kind of company. But Emi goes completely catatonic, and that wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen her. Maybe she just has an incredibly large libido that she’s been suppressing? Well, that’s youth I suppose.

It was a full ten seconds before I heard her shriek outside of my door. Of course, the banging returned as well, but I was ready for it this time. Well now, I couldn’t exactly sleep with this kind of noise going on, could I? Besides, our little conversation had forced my mind to become fully awake, and I remembered there was a task that I had yet to complete. Today seemed like as good a day as any to get it out of the way. I calmly dressed myself and stood in front of what had become my possessed door.

I opened it, and immediately felt a large force try to get through. Luckily, I hadn’t unlocked the chain.

“COME OUT HERE HISAO I SWEAR TO GOD.”

Her tiny arms tried to get at me through the crack in my door. Jesus, it’s like dealing with a psycho.

“Calm down if you want me to come out. You know I don’t take too kindly to yelling.”

The hands froze in midair, just a few inches away from my tie. They retracted, hesitantly so, and through the crack I saw the track star with the small frame look at me with her arms crossed.

“Get. Out. Here.”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming.”

The chain came undone and I emerged from my den dressed in casual clothes and a semi-heavy jacket.

“You IDIOT! You didn’t even put on the track clothes I gave you! How are you gonna exercise in those?”

Oh right, I hadn’t told her my plans yet.

“Exercising comes later, preferably not today. Besides, I have things to do.”

“Things? Since when were you so busy Hisao? You just woke up!”

“I am busy to the utmost degree. These plans have been in the making since long before you decided to shorten my door’s lifespan.”

“You probably just came up with them you JERK!”

Damn, she’s good. But not as good as me.

“Whether that is true remains to be seen. Also, I would appreciate it if you didn’t use that tone with me. It’s extremely unbecoming of a young lady, and if you want to grow up to be a proper woman, you should treat people with kindness and re-SON OF A BITCH OH GOD.”

So the legblade-into-the-foot attack finally comes into play. Well, there are worse places she could have hit.

“Get dressed before I REALLY lose my patience Hisao.”

“No can do. At least, not today.”

“And why not?”

“If you grab a shower and get dressed, I’ll tell you. Not that the sweat that has no doubt formed all over the secret crevasses of your body doesn’t make my hormones start working overtime, but I’d rather not everybody know about my shameful fetish.”

That red face, tinged with embarrassment and anger, never gets old. She prepared herself this time though, enough to talk civilly at least.

“It’s not gonna work Hisao. If I have to drag you back into your room and change you myself, I swear I’ll do it.”

“You know what you just said?”

“IT’LL BE ALRIGHT IF I CLOSE MY EYES OKAY? LETS GO!”

I looked at her for a second after her little outburst, an incredulous look on my face.

That second turned into five.

And then the laughter came.

“…pffffhahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA JESUS CHRIIIAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed that hard. You sort of stop having those laugh-until-you-can’t-breath moments after you’ve got a few years under your belt. Didn’t think I’d miss it that much though.

Emi, however, did not seem to share in my mirth. In fact, the energetic little firecracker seemed to be on the verge of tears.

“ahahahaaaa… alright Emi, alriaaahahahahahahaaha… okay sorry, sorry. I really am, it’s just that it was so damn unexpected, you know?”

“…I don’t even know why I bothered. Fine, go do whatever you want.”

Aw, that’s not how I wanted it to be. If anything, some company would be nice. Exercising was out of the question though.

“No Emi, hold on.”

She stopped dead in her tracks, her back still turned. At least she’s still listening to me.

“Look, I was a dick, and I’m sorry. I’m not sorry for laughing, but I am sorry for the shit that I put you through.”

“…”

“Alright, I know I need to exercise, but today I actually have something to do. How about this: I make it up to you by letting you come with me?”

“What the HELL kind of apology is that?!”

Oh damn, that didn’t come out right.

“No no no. What I mean is, the thing that needs doing needs to be done around town. And while it’s imperative that I finish what needs to be done, that doesn’t mean I
can’t take you out and have some fun today.”

“…I don’t know Hisao.”

“Come on, my treat. We’ll grab lunch wherever you want. Hell, I’ll even buy you ice cream. It’ll be a nice date, what do you say?”

“…alright, you do owe me. But let me get ready first. And if you leave me behind I swear to god-“

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“But you’ve already done it you jerk! Remember the time you told me you’d wait for me so we could go to the food fair together, but then you totally blew me off and went there by yourself?”

“Yeah, I think I’ve still got the scar. Besides, being able to eat pork for the first time in months was worth it.”

“On second thought, maybe I’ll just go jog a few more laps.”

“Oh come on, don’t be like that thunder-thighs. It’s Christmas Eve, you should be enjoying yourself. We have an entire day filled with happiness and joy ahead of us, and you’d give it all up to jog?”

“What did you call me?”

“Doesn’t matter. Besides, I’ll make it worth your while. Besides paying for everything.”

“…you promise?”

“Cross my heart and hope to die. Which, in my case, is deadly serious.”

That got rid of the frown that had been stagnating on her cute little face. She looks better when she smiles anyway.

“Alright, I’ll go get ready. Meet at the gate in an hour?”

“I’ll be there. Be sure to wash behind the ears.”

“Thanks MOM. Don’t be late!”

I almost forgot how fast she could run. Not that she should be running in the halls, but that’s a habit that nobody can get her to break.

I decided to tidy up my room a bit before our scheduled meeting time. Things can’t look this chaotic all the time in here. As I made the bed, I noticed a small smile that seemed to have made its home on my mug. A tiny one, nowhere near the one I had when I was laughing at Emi’s previous uproar, but this one wasn’t as fleeting, and gave off an air of satisfaction.

I guess I also look better when I’m smiling.

I suppose I deserved this.

It doesn’t make me any less annoyed though.

“Two hours, it’s almost been TWO HOURS. How long’s this bitch gonna make me wait?”

Technically, I had only been waiting for an hour and a half, but exaggeration is one of the few vices I let myself have. It’s just too damn fun.

I did have it coming though. But, as previously stated, I was still pissed.

“Shit, she set me up. Make me feel guilty and all that beforehand, so I would be a little more lenient on how much time I gave her. Then she turns around and fucks me.
That little bitch.”

I’ve been indulging my solitary speaking vice too much today.

I was seething. I never left the general vicinity of the gate, however. It seems like I have too much gentlemanly blood coursing through my veins.

“I’ll give her another half hour. Then I ditch her ass.”
About the same time that the word ass left from my lips, the smallest sound caught my attention. After spending quite a while hearing this particular sound, I was
confident when I surmised that it belonged to Emi’s legblades.

“About damn time. She’s not even running either.”

She finally arrived, dressed in a denim skirt and a light pink jacket, her tiny white purse dangling from her left arm. No matter how cute she looked, my surly mood refused to lift, even after she began to apologize profusely.

“Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysooooorrryyy Hisao! I had to pick something up and-“

“Damn it Emi, we specifically agreed on meeting here almost 2 hours ago. You know what I could have done with two hours Emi?”

“Get a lot of moping done in your room?”

“DAMN IT EMI.”

“Sorrysorrysorryso-“

“Alright, alright, it’s fine. I ditched you for pork, you show up two hours late. We’re even now.”

“Really? Then you’re not mad?”

“Absolutely. I am the embodiment of forgiveness. I am generosity incarnate.”

“You’re still mad.”

“No shit.”

“Jeez Hisao,” she sighed and looked down, “I said I was sorry already! Besides, you’ve done a lot worse things to me before!”

Goddamn it, stop being right.

“Fine, fine, let’s get this over with. Besides, I’m really not that mad anymore.”

“Yeah? Why not?”

“Because you get to carry all the bags.”

Wonder where that gentlemanly blood went off to.

“Oh come ooonnnnnn.”

“Quit your bitching, we have important things to be done.”

As I started walking, Emi followed, sometimes getting ahead of me. Jesus, she can’t stop going no matter what the situation is, huh?

“Hey Hisao, I’ve been wondering…”

Emi turned around with her arms behind her back, giving me a puzzled look.

“Yeah? Shoot.”

“What ARE we doing?”

I stopped walking and stared at her. Of the many stares I have, I saved this one for the special occasions. We in the business call it the “You serious? You can’t be serious.
Oh God you’re serious” look, and what a look it was. Perfected through years of tweaking, it was a sight to behold.
Emi, however, didn’t seem to realize the great honor she had been bestowed.

“WHAT? Don’t give me that look Hisao, just tell me!”

“Jesus Emi, sometimes I wonder about your mental well-being.”

“It’s a legitimate question jerk!”

“Okay short stuff, let’s go through this slow and easy-like, yeah?”

“Stop patronizing me!”

“Okay, okay. So what day is it today Emi?”

“Christmas Eve. But I don’t get what that has to do with-“

“And what day is tomorrow?”

“It’s Christmas tomorrow, and I wish you’d STOP-“

“And what do people give to each other on Christmas?”

“Hisao, I am THIS close to-“

“EXACTLY. Presents, Emi, presents! And that’s what we’re doing today.”

She looked at me for a second before looking at where her feet would be. Then, as she looked up, I was greeted by a magnificent “You serious? You can’t be serious. Oh
God you’re serious” stare that could rival even mine. Truly, she was a force to be reckoned with.

“Don’t tell me… you’re buying Christmas presents?”

“I thought I cleared that up with my last sentence.”

“Hisao, let me get this straight. You are buying Christmas presents on Christmas Eve?”

“Of course I’m buying Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, I’m an idiot.”

And there went another one of those sighs. I realized that I’ve been hearing a lot of those.

“Let’s go Hisao. I forgot how tired you made me just by talking to you.”

“That’s right, we haven’t talked in a while, huh?”

“That’s because you decided to go emo on me after-“

She stopped talking as soon as she saw the look on my face go sour.

“Sorry Hisao, that wasn’t what I meant. I know it was hard for you.”

“Let’s just not talk about that. I’ve been thinking about it too much lately.”

“I still wish you would’ve talked to me though. With Rin gone, it felt like I lost my two best friends, you know?”
I almost forgot that Rin left. In fact, I only vaguely recall Emi telling me about it. Since it occurred after the Hanako incident, I barely gave it any mind, just like everything else. Hell, I don’t think I even said goodbye to her. And I sure as hell didn’t think about how Emi would feel.
How much of an asshole did I turn into?

“Oh yeah, how is Rin? She’s going to that… art school, right?”

“University of Arts London, Hisao. Didn’t expect you to remember it though. She’s fine, she asks about you every now and then, when she’s not talking about the “sinister starscape” all the time.”

“Sinister starscape? Sounds like a term off a bad Sci-Fi flick.”

“She’s totally gotten into astronomy, you know? Like, super deep into it. But the difference between her and the astronomers is that she learns about the stars because she thinks they have something against planets. She’s drawn some paintings on it that’ve won a few awards.”

“…so London must have some good drugs.”

“Glad you got the hint. By now, telling her not to do them is a lost cause, but I managed to guilt her into cutting down. Honestly, I can’t understand anyone who’d want to
put that stuff into their body.”

“Hey, people should do what they want when they can, you know? It’s what makes us human.”

She didn’t take too kindly to that. A frown took form on her face faster than she could run a lap around the track.

“You sound just like Rin. But I don’t want to get into an argument about this on Christmas Eve.”

“Good call, help me pick out something for my mother.”

We went into the first store I saw that sold blouses. Either Emi was more helpful than I gave her credit for or I was just horrible at picking out things women would like.

Maybe it was both. I was going shopping on Christmas Eve after all.

I also realized something else. This day, even with the rude awakening and the hour and a half punishment I so rightly deserved, had been the most enjoyable day I’ve had in the past few months. Just being able to talk to someone without being bitter and cynical was like a breath of fresh air, and I had a suspicion that Emi knew I needed this. Hell, she’d never bothered me about going jogging after the incident, so the fact that she was so intent on taking me out was something I should have picked up on earlier. And she was doing all this after I, for lack of a better term, abandoned her like a dog on the street. I’m sure she had no shortage of people to talk to, being part of the track team and all, but I’ve never seen her as animated as when she talked to Rin or me.

At least one of us had the Christmas spirit. And I was glad.

“Hisao. HISAOOOOO. Don’t tell me you’ve gone back to Mopeyville.”

“Hey, don’t talk shit about Mopeyville. Sure, it has its faults, but it’s by far the best neighborhood to be in once the sun goes down.”

“I swear Hisao, you don’t make sense half the time I talk to you.”

“It’s my quirky charm Emi. That’s why you love me.”

“I’m not sure that love is the right word for it. More like obligated to make sure you don’t get into too much trouble.”

“Sounds like love to me. Say, you think my old man would want a new hip flask?”

“Hisao, your parents have to be the most patient people in the world.”

“Wahahaha~! You’re right on the mark Emi!”

Oh god.

That laugh was the absolute last thing I wanted to hear.

And things were going so well too.

I quickly put on an indifferent face and turned around. There she was, and this time, she brought company.

“…”

After a three second stare, her slender fingers began to move at mach speed. I’ve never met anyone with fingers as fast as hers, and I probably never will. Of course, that’s only half of the spectacle. What looks to me like the calculated movements of a schizophrenic who’s had too much coffee is then translated, extremely accurately I predicted, by the equally talented partner.

“It’s been too long Hisao. I assume you have received our invitation? Wahaha~ of course he did Shiichan, I’m the one that gave it to him, remember?”

I looked at one, then the other, for what felt like hours. Emi seemed just as confused, as she had no doubt heard about what happened between us in the past. She wasn’t
aware of the meeting I’d had with Misha the other day though.

Great, exactly what I needed.

“Yeah, I remember. Not like it was something I could forget. You’re just as rude as ever, I see.”

There was ice in my words. I didn’t want to deal with this right now. I was having the first good day in months, damn it.

“Awww, it’s not like I can help it ya know?”

Misha’s bubbly personality was obviously making an appearance because of Emi’s presence. Thank god for that, I’m not sure if I could have taken a meeting with the other Misha AND Shizune.

As Shizune started signing again, Emi pulled me aside and asked, “Hey, Hisao, you alright?”

“Never better Emi. Don’t worry about it.”

Right, Emi was there. I couldn’t revert back to my pathetic self. Time to pull yourself together, you bastard.

“Right, so, what brings you two fine dames here? Some sort of holiday date?”

“W-what?! Uh, I mean, Shiichan says: I’m merely helping this imbecile who couldn’t get all her Christmas shopping done before today. Hey, Shiichan, that’s mean!”

It’s also bullshit. I knew for a fact that they both prepare for any major even with plenty of anticipation. The thought of the Misha who started preparing her dress for the awards ceremony we were invited to 3 weeks in advance putting off Christmas shopping was laughable at best. They were here for something else, and if Emi hadn’t been by my side I would’ve grilled them about it. But I’d do my best to go along with the lie that seemed obvious only to me.

“I guess we’re both a couple of idiots then. I’m finishing up my shopping too. Well, I’m almost done actually.”

“Wahahaha~ that’s sooo like you Hisao!”

Hisao, not Hiichan. I guess she couldn’t take it too far today, huh?

“Oh, um, Shiichan says: That sounds more like an excuse, are you sure you’re not here to spend time with Miss Ibarazaki?”

Oh, she had that glint in her eye. That sadistic glint that appeared whenever she needed a toy to play with. I’m willing to bet that glint had shaped Misha’s character at least somewhat. But I’ve had time, bitch.

“Guess you hit the nail on the head. In fact, I was stricken with the desire to spend the day with the most lovely girl currently enrolled in our schoo-SHIT.”

That legblade-into-the-foot move never stopped hurting like a bitch. Well, I should have probably known better.

“It seems the “most lovely girl at our school” is currently inflicting what seems to be a moderately painful foot stomp Hisao.”

Not this time cunt. You won’t win this time. Sorry about this Emi.

“Ah, well, that’s just how we show our love, you know. If you remember, which you probably don’t, I’ve always been a hard M. It’s just something you’ve got to learn when you’re in a relationship with the one you trust, you knoOOOOow?”

It hurts, but I think that slight change in facial expression in both of them did it. Looked like Misha took it the hardest, judging by the small arch that appeared on her eyebrows for the smallest part of a second. Those last few lines were directed at her, of course. Her hands didn’t miss a beat though. How the hell would you even translate “Hard M” anyway?

For the record, I wouldn’t go so far as to seriously describe myself as a hard M. Soft M is more my thing.

“O-oh, is that so. Well Misha, we best be on our way. Oh wait, I’m Misha, wahahahaha~”

Finally. Everything actually went better than expected.

“Well, we’ll be seeing you, right Emi?”

“U-uh, right, of course. Merry Christmas, by the way.”

“Wahaha~, Merry Christmas to you too Emi, Hisao, from both of us!”

So it seemed like I had dodged a bullet there. Once again, I had Emi to thank for letting me turn what would have been an extremely tense situation into what an innocent bystander would mistake for a chance meeting.

It was anything but chance, though. I had a feeling they knew where I would be, and planned to intercept me here today. It looked like they’d do anything to get me back,
and while I had decided to give it another shot, I was too weak to try again the very next day. Scum like me needs to think things through for a while.

“Tch.”

Ah, according to that sound and the tone it was presented with, I didn’t think Misha took to our faux-conversation. Well, that’s an issue for another day.

“Hisao.”

Oh, right. Emi.

“So, Emi, I think it’s time for lunch.”

“Don’t try to get out of this Hisao, what the hell was that all about?”

I sighed. Great, now I was doing it too.

“Look, Misha and I had a little… discussion yesterday, in which she invited me to reconcile with the members of the student council.”

“Seriously?! But Hisao, I mean, I don’t really know the whole story, but didn’t they hate your guts for a while?”

“Thanks for bringing that back up. Yeah, they did, but she wants me to believe that’s all water under the bridge.”

“Well, isn’t that good? I mean, you were pretty good friends with them. And I heard that you were more than friends with Misha.”

I tensed.

“Yeah? Who’d you hear that from?”

“The girls on the track team keep me up with the latest gossip. Well, it’s more like they’re too loud to ignore.”

“Gossip is the devil’s radio Emi.”

There was a little more venom in that quote than I meant to put in.

“I don’t need to hear that from you, Hisao.”

She paused for a little while. I could tell by looking at top of her little head that she was thinking pretty damn hard about something.

“So you think maybe they want you back for other reasons?”

She’s sharp.

“Yeah, I mean, like you said, they hated my guts. Now they just want to make everything like it was in the past, and while that might be expected from anybody else,
those girls aren’t people to give up a grudge like that.”

Emi put her hands on her hips and gave a resigned look.

“Well, you’d know more than I do, anyway. But I wanna tell you something Hisao.”

My ears perked up. It sounded like Emi was about to lay down something heavy.

“Lay it on me.”

She looked down, and took a breath. It looked like she was preparing herself for something pretty big. Emi’s usually not this serious, so I guess it was all the more reason to actually pay attention.

After a sufficient amount of time, she took a long, hard look at me and began.

“You’ve changed because of Hanako’s suicide Hisao, and not for the best. You know that, I know that, and Misha and Shizune know it. But Hisao, you’ve got to realize that your new personality is making you see the worst in everything. I don’t exactly know how exactly Misha and Shizune really are, all I’ve heard is rumors, and I probably won’t ever know. But you do, and all that cynicism you’ve picked up from your moping makes you see them as… as… just total bitches, you know? And that’s-“

“Emi, you’re right, you DON’T know. You DON’T know how they can be. You DON’T know what Misha’s really like, and you DON’T know that Shizune’s even worse. I don’t think I’m wrong in-“

“Just shut up, you JERK!”

Whoa now, when you yell that loud in the middle of the street, it makes me look like the bad guy.

“Hisao, I know for a fact that you’re not a bad person. And you’re also not the type of person to keep bad company. I think if they really were as bad as you say they are, you would have never been friends with them in the first place. Or more than friends, in Misha’s case.”

Flattery usually never made me feel this guilty.

“I’m just worried Hisao. Whenever we saw Misha and Shizune, you looked like you were about to go back to how you were earlier. I’m not saying I want you exactly back to the way you were before, because I know that’s impossible. You’ve changed, I’ve changed, we’ve all changed, and whether that’s good or bad, we’ve got to adapt to those changes. You won’t be exactly the same person I used to be best friends with, but I know the mopey, jerkface Hisao you were isn’t what you wanted to be.”

“…Emi, I-”

“Stop interrupting! What I’m trying to say is maybe you should stop being so horrible all the time, and start acting like you do around me more often, okay?”

I was floored. Absolutely stunned, just like a deer in high-quality headlights. Her speech felt like it was resonating inside of me. She really was worried, and here I was acting like a “jerkface”.

“…yeah, you’re probably right.”

“Of course I am Hisao, I’m your best friend.”

A smile took form on my lips, almost like the one that graced my face this morning, except this one was more than just a satisfied smile. It was the first genuinely happy smile I’ve worn since that time.

“Alright, alright, you know I can’t take all this sap, it’s killing me. You want a sandwich?”

“I’ll just take a salad. And so will you, Hisao.”

“Awww, it’s Christmas Eve, you know? Let’s just-“

“Absolutely NOT! DENIED! NO WAY!”

The sigh that came out of my lips was less of a defeated sigh and more of a happy sigh, if a sigh can even be happy.

As we entered the restaurant, I finally started to feel at peace. Maybe being so cynical was a pretty shitty thing to do to myself, yeah?

Damn, and I said I hated sap.

“Hey, this salad isn’t half bad. For rabbit food, anyway.”

“Of course it’s not bad Hisao, I chose it for you. And stop calling it rabbit food!”

“I agree, Hisao, it’s very unbecoming of a gentleman such as yourself.”

Why.

Why.

Twice in one day. I don’t take to being played around with like this.

“…if my memory doesn’t fail me, I believe that voice belongs to a certain Miss Satou.”

“Oh my, it seems as if I’d underestimated your mental prowess, Hisao. I’ll make sure not to make the same mistake twice.”

I turned around and was met with the site of those cold eyes. That smile that could freeze even the most hot-blooded hero. Imagine what it did to someone like me.

“…and what brings you our table on what has become this less-than-fine evening, Lilly?”

“Oh dear, am I being a nuisance? I merely thought that I would express my surprise at meeting an old friend at a restaurant I rarely frequent. Why, I believe it must be some sort of fate, don’t you think?”

“Fate’s a funny word for it. Spite would be a better term to use.”

“Why, Hisao, you’ve become so cruel… I’m just so glad she’s not here to see you.”

My fork clattered to the ground. Of all the cheap tricks.

“My my, is everything alright Hisao? Oh, I understand, my previous statement was incredibly disrespectful. The thought of being happy that a close friend has passed on is incredibly disgusting. Of course, I’m certain you already know the extent of my misery on the topic.”

She started to get serious. The smile deepened. In a way, it was worse than Shizune’s. This cold sadistic smile that reminded me of times long gone.

This wasn’t fair. I couldn’t even reply. I had no right to.

“Her death, I suppose, “could not be helped”? Ah, that was a direct quote by the way, from one of your good friends. I’m so glad that after the tragedy, you seem to be keeping your spirits up by visiting old friends Hisao. You always were popular, were you not?”

I could have gotten up and left. I should have thrown my salad in her face and stormed out, leaving her to pay the bill. But I stayed rooted to that faux-leather seat, eyes firmly set on my fallen fork. Was this my Soft M side rearing its ugly head?

Humor, huh. I’m pretty damn twisted.

Of course, Lilly kept piercing my heart with those icicle darts that came out of her mouth. And I had a feeling the biggest one was being primed to fire. Her smile had completely vanished by now.

“Your popularity, however, seemed to be her downfall. I wonder how things would have been different if there was somebody who she deemed of great importance that could have helped her. I’m absolutely certain that if such a person existed, he would devote all of his time into constructing a solution to the problem that she posed, and would not spend time with other friends who had ideas that were less than helpful to her mental state. Oh, how I stay up at-“

BAM.

“ENOUGH.”

We both looked to the side to see Emi standing up, furiously glaring at Lilly.

The look she gave her was not the look of the peeved puppy she would always give me. The word that I would give it would be “murderous”. Her eyebrows were arched in such a way that I would have put beyond her reach. Her hand was gripping her fork, which she had stuck into the wooden table. That explained the sound.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea of the problem you’ve got with Hisao, but it’s wrong. He’d never be so uncaring. No matter what you think, Hisao’s a good person who’d try his best for any one of his friends. You’re just trying to blame someone for what happened, and Hisao is the best target for that, isn’t he?”
It looked like I wasn’t the only one that was surprised. All the coldness had gone out of Lilly’s blank eyes, and all that was left was a look of utmost surprise.

“It’s despicable. If I could put it into your words, it’s “extremely unbecoming”. Bitch.”

She took my hand and dragged me out of the restaurant.

“W-wait, I didn’t pay-“

“Just let her take care of it and let’s GO.”

I finally realized why I could never take Emi seriously when she was angry. She was never really angry to begin with. She’d always been holding back because of our friendship. Hell, I think I’d seriously reconsider our friendship if I was on the receiving end of one of her seriously angry tirades.

Emi ended up dragging me to a park a considerable distance away from the restaurant. I was still shocked, but had recovered enough to try to get some words out.

“…Emi, I-“

“What a piece of SHIT! I mean come ON, is that ANY WAY to treat a friend? Not to mention she’s being such a little BITCH about everything, GOD.”

“…haha…aaahahahahahaha…hahaHAHAHAHAHAAAA”

“Hisao! What’s wrong? Oh god, are you crying?”

“BWWAAAHAHAHAHAA NOOOAAAHAHAHA…aaahahahaha…haha…”

“…you’re a creep, Hisao.”

“And you’re the one that stood up for this creep.”

She looked up at me, looking rather pleased that I had just laughed my heart out for the second time today. A confused look crossed her face the next second though.

“I never thought Lilly would be like that, though. I mean, I didn’t really know her, but she seemed so nice, you know? I thought she’d at least be there for you after… you know.”

The smile left my face. I didn’t want to talk about this, but after all Emi had helped me through, it would have been a dick move to keep her in the dark like this.

“You and me both. We underestimated how much she loved Hanako. But, in a way, she was right about some of the blame being placed on me.”

“What?! Hisao, don’t you go all stupid on me, that’s ridiculous!”

“Hold on, let me finish. I’ll fill you in on everything that happened, alright? I owe you that much.”

Her rage subsided, albeit slowly, and she took a few deep breaths after calming down.

“Alright Hisao, I’m ready.”

Well, it was now or never. I’d finally be able to talk to someone about the things I’d been keeping to myself for months.

“I found out about the sexual harassment from my legwork at the student council. It was late, and I needed to sneak certain papers out of the central office, when I saw… well, let’s not get into details, yeah?”

I paused. Just thinking about it gave me a mixture of rage and nausea. But I had to keep going.

“Anyway, I had to tell someone, and the first people to meet me were Misha and Shizune. Of course, they were both into bringing all of that into the forefront and called for an official investigation, but I disagreed.”

“Why Hisao? I mean, it might sound dumb to you, but wouldn’t that be the best way?”

“For most people, yeah. But can you imagine what that would do to Hanako? Well, actually, you’ve seen first hand. Imagine being the girl that got caught fucking the teacher. Imagine that, even if you were forced to do those things, girls would still whisper things like “Oh god, she could have just said no” and “Eeeewww, I’d neeeever do THAT! How long was she doing it? I bet she liked it, the shy little slut!”.”

“No way! Did people really say that? That’s horrible!”

“Those were all direct quotes, by the way. A stronger person would have been able to stand it, move from the school, and start a new life after some intensive therapy. But Hanako already had a ton of problems. Putting her into the spotlight would just exacerbate the situation for her.”
“So what did you do?”

“I told them to give me some time, that I knew how to fix it all without putting Hanako into that kind of trouble. It was a lie, of course, but I needed time to think of something. They were hesitant, but they trusted me.”

“Alright, but where does Lilly come into this?”

“She overheard Misha and Shizune talking about it on her way to the council room. They told her they were working on it, and she panicked. The council and Lilly were never on good terms, so she thought they were punishing Hanako or something. By the time I got to the council room, she was already in a frenzy.”

Frenzy was an understatement. Her voice had reached a level of shrillness that I had not known existed before that point. Not to mention the fact that she was holding Shizune by the collar while Misha struggled to get her off.

“So after that, I was able to calm her down. Somehow, at least. She tried to go talk to Hanako immediately, but I reasoned with her and told her to keep it a secret.”

“So it was like you said before, since Hanako is super withdrawn, if her best friend knew about it, the thought that her best friend might be thinking what those girls were would be enough to mess her up, right?”

At least she got it. When exactly did she get so sharp?

“Exactly. I promised her I would find another way. Lilly agreed with me on not calling in an investigation, at least. She left it all up to me and decided to tell me a choice nugget of information.”

“Which was?”

“Hanako’s feelings toward me.”

Emi got the point. “You mean, she…?”

“Yeah, which made me the prime candidate to diffuse the situation. An easy way would have been to come in on a white horse and accept her for all her faults, take her into my arms, and make passionate love to her on that night. But I couldn’t do it. It would have been a lie.”

“Because you were going out with Misha, right?”

“…right. We were going out, and as much as I hate to admit it, I loved her. Jesus, this just keeps getting sappier and sappier.”

“Come on Hisao, tell me the rest.”

I quickly took a breath and started to resume my story. This was no time for cynicism.

“Right, so, I tried talking to her, but it looked like anything short of making her my lover wouldn’t work. She actually started getting the hint that I knew her feelings, and when I didn’t make any moves, I’m guessing it made her spiral down even further into depression. I stalled and stalled both the council and Lilly, until I could come up with something.”

I looked down. This was the part where it got good.

“But you know how it ends. I didn’t come up with shit. The council trusted me, then got tired of my lack of results, and kicked me out after having a chance encounter with Mutou and Hanako.”

“What happened?”

“They saw something similar to what I saw, and decided to explode onto the scene. Mutou was scared shitless of course, and fled as soon as he saw them. Hanako was… well, she wasn’t good. They took her to her room and called me up. I got mad at them for telling me that they solved the problem, and they didn’t take too kindly to that. Called me useless and kicked me out of the council. That night, they called the cops, and Mutou was found in some apartment complex hiding out. You remember the headlines, right?”

“Keep going Hisao.”

“…right, so then, Lilly found out and let me have it. Called me a traitor for ultimately going with the council’s suggestion. After I told her what really happened, she got even more pissed. Something about me knowing what I had to do but not being man enough to put it into action. It sounded a little ruder than that though.”

“I just… wow, Lilly never struck me as that sort of person before.”

“We’ve all got our hidden sides, Emi. Lilly’s no exception. After that, Hanako was taken out of school and put into intensive therapy. Not before hearing those choice quotes that I mentioned though. And then, a week later… well, if you thought Lilly was bad today, you should have read the letter she sent me.”

“A letter?”

“Yeah, one page, neat handwriting, damning me to hell and whatnot. I didn’t know what was going on until she mentioned the suicide. And that’s how it all ended.”

“…that’s…wow Hisao…”

“Pretty heavy, right? So in a way, it was my fault. I knew how to fix it, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. And as much as I tried looking for another way, I failed.”

We stood in silence for a while, the red sunset behind us, quietly staring at a young couple with their kid playing in the snow. It was almost Christmas, after all.

Emi proceeded to straighten up and look me square in the eye, that deadly serious gaze making its return.

“It’s not your fault Hisao.”

“Empty words don’t help Emi.”

“They’re not empty. Listen, you were confused. You didn’t know what to do, or what would happen.”

“But I knew what to do, I just didn’t-“

“No Hisao, you knew what you couldn’t do. That’s different. Maybe if you had a little more time, you could have thought up of something. Maybe if you got both the council and Lilly together, they could have reached a decision. But everyone was scared Hisao, almost as scared as Hanako herself. If you want to blame yourself, you’ll never grow as a person Hisao. You need to get over it, accept that what’s done is done. If you keep blaming yourself, you could also blame me.”

“What? That doesn’t make-“

“I met Hanako during that time too. I knew she looked upset, but I didn’t talk to anybody about it. Maybe if I got the Nurse involved, he could have figured out a way. He was pretty tight with Mutou after all, I don’t doubt he could have helped take care of everything quietly. He has connections throughout the entire school too. I could have helped, Hisao, and I can either keep blaming myself for it, or move on. Just like you.”

“…they trusted me Emi. I told them I’d fix everything.”

“And you didn’t. You couldn’t, Hisao. If you keep beating yourself up about it, the only thing that’ll make sense anymore is suicidal thoughts, and I know Hanako wouldn’t like that. Didn’t you say that people should do what they want when they can?”

Apparently, Emi had gotten incredibly wise since we last met. Honestly, since when did she reach sage-level wisdom?

“…Maybe you’re right Emi. But it’s not something I can just let go of, you know? I’ve had it fermenting for months, it’s not just gonna miraculously lift because you said
something that makes a hell of a lot of sense.”

“So you think I’m right then?”

“I probably know you’re right. But I need time to work through it. It won’t go away in a day, no matter how much fun I had.”

She turned to me and smiled, possibly the brightest smile in the world, enough to put the glow of the setting sun to shame.

“Then I’ll give you time Hisao. We are best friends, after all.”

I stared at her. How could anybody be so goddamn understanding? Not to mention the two times that she managed to save my ass today. The debt I owed her was enormous, and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to pay it off, or if she even cared.

We started walking back to the school, Emi actually keeping my pace. It felt like none of the bad things that had transpired months back mattered anymore. But I knew that was just a form of escapism. I eventually had to come to terms with myself and with the others who had been involved, but for today, I would indulge myself in this sort of fun.

Which reminds me. Without Emi, none of this would have been possible. To think I would’ve wasted my entire day in the confines of my bed. Hell, I had to say SOMETHING.

“…Hey Emi.”

“Yeah Hisao?”

She cocked her head as she looked at me quizzically. Come on, don’t make this any more embarrassing than it is.

“Just wanted to say… thanks a lot. I wasn’t exactly in tip top shape before, but you helped me out on a lot of shit. If you hadn’t been here, I figure this day would have been a whole lot worse. But thanks to you, it was fun, you know? So uh… thanks again and all that.”

Emi stopped dead in her tracks and stared at me with those tremendous eyes of hers. After I met her gaze for a few seconds, she let out a sigh.

“Hisao, you idiot.”

She then proceeded to get incredibly close to my face.

“When you say things like that…”

Wait wait wait, this wasn’t how things normally went, right? Usually it would be me getting uncomfortably close to her, right? I should have gotten used to this, so why is my heart beating like a mad god?

“…you’re supposed to have a smile on your face.”

I felt two fingers on both sides of my lips push up in an extremely uncomfortable manner.

“Hahahaha, gotcha looooser!”

“GodDAMN IT Emi. I knew nothing good would come out of spewing sap.”

“Eeewww, you made it sound gross!”

“It’s not my fault one of us has an incredibly suppressed libido and thinks up of ridiculously perverted double meanings to whatever I say-OW DAMN YOU.”

“Jerkface! Idiot! I don’t suppress ANYTHING okay?”

“Yeah yeah, we’re almost at school hotshot. Let’s not give me anymore bruises today, alright?”

“Oh, that reminds me Hisao.”

She turned around for the second time, arms behind her back, looking at me with a sheepish grin.

“I’m actually not gonna be here tomorrow for Christmas. I’m meeting some family and spending some time with them, so I won’t be able to see you.”
Her grin was soon replaced with a concerned frown.

“But that doesn’t mean you can go back to being emo, okay? Jeez, what are you gonna do without me Hisao?”

“I’ll tell you what I won’t be doing: obtaining a cornucopia of exciting new bruises and exercising.”

“Well you should! I mean, no, not the bruises part, but that’s not all my fault dumbass!”

She crossed her arms and gave me another one of those tired sighs, visible this time due to the uncomfortably cold temperature we were experiencing.

“Anyway, I’ve got to hurry back and start packing.”

“You didn’t pack? Goddamn, you’re just as bad as me.”

“Shut UP! Gosh, anyway, what I want to say is…”

The frown made way for what could only be described as another one of her glowing smiles.

“Merry Christmas Hisao.”

“…Merry Christmas to you too Emi.”

“Oh, and I got you this.”

She took a blue, rectangular package from her purse and threw it at my face, which I just managed to catch.

“Jesus, you’ll make me end up like Kenji.”

“Haha, don’t be so mean to your friend Hisao! Anyway, later!”

She started taking off. Shit, if I didn’t catch her now, I wouldn’t be able to until next year.

“Hey Emi, cool it!”

She turned around, a surprised look evident in her eyes.

The gift for her that I bought, however, managed to hit its mark.

“OW! Hisao you total JERK!”

“That any way to thank someone for getting you a present?”

She blankly stared at me.

“Hisao, when’d you buy this?”

“Obviously when you weren’t looking. Merry Christmas.”

Her blank expression quickly disappeared and she started to beam.

“Thanks Hisaaaooo! Merry Chriiiiistmaaaasss!”

Not one second after her smile took place did she start running full speed back to the school. She really can’t stop, I guess.

Further observation of the rectangular package revealed it to be a hastily wrapped mess. I wouldn’t expect any less of her, though. I ripped off the wrapping paper as neatly as possible, and was met with three grotesque faces.

It was a picture of Emi, Rin, and me at our usual place on the roof. I remembered that day like it was yesterday. Rin had “borrowed” a camera to, and I quote, “begin pushing the boundaries of my artistic knowledge” or something along those lines. She managed to figure out how to set the timer and told us to make faces in the camera, so she could, and I quote again, “capture the essence of a human’s true spirit”. Of course, as soon as we saw the pictures, Emi and I were on the floor, with Rin carefully picking out the best ones to use. The painting she drew barely resembled our faces, but she called it one of her best works.

I guess I’ll just never understand art. But I can understand three friends messing around.

Of course, it wasn’t just the photo that caught my eye. The frame seemed to be the other half of the gift. It was an elegant black frame accentuated with a golden outline, which made the picture seem incredibly out of place. Who’d buy a frame this refined to house a photo of three idiots?

Well, Emi always thought that sort of thing was funny. Hold on, there was something else.

“Wait, is this… that idiot. She left the receipt on the back of the frame.”

The hell does somebody manage that? It should be considered a talent to be that awkward. Well, usually I wouldn’t be so rude as to look at the price, but I’m also incredibly fickle, and prone to various whims.

“Let’s see here… 3600 yen?! The hell does she get this kind of cash to blow? That’s almost as much as I spent to-“

Then something else caught my eye, right above the place where the cashier’s name was listed.

“Date of Purchase: December 24, 13:38”

I guess I’m not the only idiot who goes Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Wow. Just… wow.

You've done such a great job here. You've changed all the characters in a believable way. That takes talent.

I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Not only changed, but also brought out the worst in every one of them. :twisted:
Well, at least now we know how you spent your Christmas...
So what was Hisao's present for Emi?

Some nitpicks:
I turned around and was met with the sight of those cold eyes.

“…and what brings you to our table on what has become this less-than-fine evening, Lilly?”
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So what was Hisao's present for Emi?
Wool socks.
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

Yeah... I have a glass of whiskey in my hand and I feel exactly like the man in griffon8's post. I'm black and white and I'm clapping with very large hand movements.

I'm a total fan of being a jerk, ass and total fuck head. You managed to bring it all together in a brilliant way. The characters are, indeed, horribly angry, broken, torn... in all ways fucked up way beyond their original minds and it WORKS. In a spectacular manner too.
Totally awesome. I salute you and hope to see more.
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Devon

Post by Devon »

I am crying so much right now, this is such great work. T_T I am absolutely floored by this piece.
Aelexe

Post by Aelexe »

Good read, I quite enjoyed that. One of few fan-fictions on here that hasn't caused me to cringe =P.
Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

High quality, I say! High quality!
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic