Out of Sight

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Napalm

Re: Out of Sight

Post by Napalm »

This is something that has always intrigued me, how blind people mentally see the world. Specially on the cases where they are blind from birth. But I guess you can't just show this video to a blind person and ask them "Is this how you see things?" :roll:

Lovely video, reminds me of Yotsuba
Nyo ho ho~
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Napalm wrote:This is something that has always intrigued me, how blind people mentally see the world. Specially on the cases where they are blind from birth. But I guess you can't just show this video to a blind person and ask them "Is this how you see things?" :roll:

Lovely video, reminds me of Yotsuba
I have the same questions. For example, try to describe the concept of light, shadow, or color to a lind-from-birth person. You can't. Could you describe "orange"? Could you really?
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

I can only describe orange in relation to other colors. A color in between red and yellow. But they wouldn't now about the other colors.

The thing that I find interesting is that I bet even completely healthy people (and humanity in general) have something like this that we haven't discovered yet. Something we cannot detect.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Scarlet Fox wrote:The thing that I find interesting is that I bet even completely healthy people (and humanity in general) have something like this that we haven't discovered yet. Something we cannot detect.
There's all kinds of stuff we already know.

Bees see further into ultraviolet than people; some flowers look quite different if see in UV. People also see farther into UV than everyone else if they have their eye lenses replaced by plastic lenses, which are transparent further into UV than natural lenses. Also, a few people have 4 types of color receptors instead of the usual 3 (and, of course, some people only have 2 or 1).

Electric eels can actually detect things close to them by how it distorts their electric field; I'd guess they "feel" it, but it's hard to say.

Also see
http://www.cracked.com/article_18837_7- ... sible.html
Bara

Post by Bara »

Scarlet Fox wrote:I can only describe orange in relation to other colors. A color in between red and yellow. But they wouldn't now about the other colors.

The thing that I find interesting is that I bet even completely healthy people (and humanity in general) have something like this that we haven't discovered yet. Something we cannot detect.
Well, they wouldn't be able to experience things like colors directly as a sighted person sees them, but they can perceive them indirectly just as sighted astronomers and nuclear physicists don't directly see atoms colliding or x-rays emitted from quasars.
We do seem to be a tool making race. I blame it all on those damn opposable thumbs and that excess of gray jelly between our ears.... :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Very adorable.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

When I was just a child, i found in one of my grandma's Reader Digest this beutifull poetry that perfectly describe the color blue.
The most amazing thing was that was written by a blind girl, so ... color isn't just a reflection of a particolar light frequency, color have emotion, taste even smell consciusly or subconscisly bind to them.
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!

Post by Guest »

ElisaMasah wrote:When I was just a child, i found in one of my grandma's Reader Digest this beutifull poetry that perfectly describe the color blue.
The most amazing thing was that was written by a blind girl, so ... color isn't just a reflection of a particolar light frequency, color have emotion, taste even smell consciusly or subconscisly bind to them.
Do you remember it? If not, that's a shame. Sounds interesting.
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

Bit and piece, was a lifetime ago and it was a translation (I'm not English) so i don't sure i can rewrite it correctly.
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

One thing that's interesting to note is that sight is processed in multiple parts of the brain. People with damage to their occipital lobe (the part of the brain that first processes visual data) are still able to distinguish lines, shapes, and expressions without being consciously aware that they're "seeing." Look up the term blindsight and the work of Dr. Lawrence Weiskrantz.
静音是买外夫