DVD cover

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Snicket

Re: DVD cover

Post by Snicket »

Honestly that wasn't my intention, when i made mine.

Edit: since there were a few complaints to my previous version. I redid it using a few image from the Shimmie.

Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Edit:

Just made a minor correction to the front.

DESU

Post by DESU »

I like the first one better. the logo helps fill in the blank space in the corner.

and your system specs are a bit more believable now, though I believe the harddrive space is more like 200 Mb, and I don't believe Ren'py uses the gpu at all. And I believe windows 7 is supported as well, since vista and 7 are somewhat similar. (sorry for nitpicking the system specs, but i'm a computer nerd with OCD)

also
Snicket wrote:WARNING:
Playing this game will make every game you play following this a slight disappointment
OH HO HO HO HO

(though I think instead of "game" you should have said "VN")
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Snicket wrote:Edit: since there were a few complaints to my previous version. I redid it using a few image from the Shimmie.
http://img34.imageshack.us/i/ksgamecover3.jpg/
Looks much better than before. The picture on the front site is definitely suitable for a game case.

The logo still looks blurry, though. If you want to resize it properly, you can vectorize it with Inkscape (it's free). It's pretty simple, all you need to do is to open it with Inkscape, click on the picture, then click path > vectorize > OK and you should have the black lines of the logo vectorized. You can also change some of the parameters before clicking OK to improve the result.

Here's an example. It's slightly wrong. The outline of the heart is too big because I had to fix it manually.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2149/path3181.png

Usually, you get pretty good results with Inkscape. It's a nice toy to play around with. Some parts of the program are not stable yet, but the vectorization seems to work fine.

Though, the picture you start with shouldn't be too small. For this picture, I used an ingame-screenshot of the logo that sometimes pops up between the scenes, because it was the biggest one I could find.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

DESU wrote:I like the first one better. the logo helps fill in the blank space in the corner.

and your system specs are a bit more believable now, though I believe the harddrive space is more like 200 Mb, and I don't believe Ren'py uses the gpu at all. And I believe windows 7 is supported as well, since vista and 7 are somewhat similar. (sorry for nitpicking the system specs, but i'm a computer nerd with OCD)
The funny thing is that i used actually system specs for an actual VN. Though the thing looked pretty simple and kinda old. If i make another one, i'll try to get the actual specs for this game or ones from that's close.

Panty Supervisor wrote: Looks much better than before. The picture on the front site is definitely suitable for a game case.

The logo still looks blurry, though. If you want to resize it properly, you can vectorize it with Inkscape (it's free). It's pretty simple, all you need to do is to open it with Inkscape, click on the picture, then click path > vectorize > OK and you should have the black lines of the logo vectorized. You can also change some of the parameters before clicking OK to improve the result.
I think i'm just going to try and get the heart from the in game screen (though now i have to reinstall it to get it.), since i haven't have much luck with those online image resizing. Plus i have PS, just an older version.
Bara

Post by Bara »

DESU wrote:... And I believe windows 7 is supported as well, since vista and 7 are somewhat similar. (sorry for nitpicking the system specs, but i'm a computer nerd with OCD)
Yep, I run it on Win 7 with no problems.
DESU wrote: also
Snicket wrote:WARNING:
Playing this game will make every game you play following this a slight disappointment
OH HO HO HO HO

(though I think instead of "game" you should have said "VN")
I love that warning also. I don't care if you call it a game or a VN, it is true either way. :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

To the guys saying KS wil only be 200 MB in size: you're basing this off the size of the demo, no? The demo is the first act, of which the Devs have stated it's about 15-20% of the full game. So, I think you're underestimating what size the full game may have by quite a bit... 8 GB is still a long stretch, but if it turns out to be somewhere between 750 MB and 1 GB, I wouldn't be surprised.

Nitpicking of posts aside, those covers look damningly good ^_^
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

The full game may be five times as long, but it won't have five times the graphics and definitely not five times the music. I'd say that it will maybe be twice the amount of data, if even that.
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

delta wrote:The full game may be five times as long, but it won't have five times the graphics and definitely not five times the music. I'd say that it will maybe be twice the amount of data, if even that.
About 400 or 600 mb, then?

*in before the obvious*
Hanako Lover
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Which should fit on a standard CD, but if you're making a DVD cover, it'd make more sense to put all the versions on there, not just the PC release.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Leotrak wrote:To the guys saying KS wil only be 200 MB in size: you're basing this off the size of the demo, no? The demo is the first act, of which the Devs have stated it's about 15-20% of the full game. So, I think you're underestimating what size the full game may have by quite a bit... 8 GB is still a long stretch, but if it turns out to be somewhere between 750 MB and 1 GB, I wouldn't be surprised.

holy herpaderp I did not think of that. not only that, but i'm basing this on version 1. stupid me. Still, if the final version installer is under 700 megs, it will fit on a CD.
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

DESU wrote:
Leotrak wrote:To the guys saying KS wil only be 200 MB in size: you're basing this off the size of the demo, no? The demo is the first act, of which the Devs have stated it's about 15-20% of the full game. So, I think you're underestimating what size the full game may have by quite a bit... 8 GB is still a long stretch, but if it turns out to be somewhere between 750 MB and 1 GB, I wouldn't be surprised.

holy herpaderp I did not think of that. not only that, but i'm basing this on version 1. stupid me. Still, if the final version installer is under 700 megs, it will fit on a CD.
I remember reading somewhere that a big chunk of the demo's size is due to the music (around 75%, maybe?). Considering that there probably isn't too much of it we haven't already listened to, making some rough estimations and calculations:
Demo:
Music 168mb - 75%
Text+Graphics 56mb - 25%
Estimating that Act 1 is 20% of the whole game:
Text+Graphics 56mb*5=280mb
Music+NewMusic ~ 200mb
Estimated whole game size: ~480mb
Adding an error of +100mb: ~580mb

I'm capping it at 600mb, MAYBE 700mb, but I have my doubts. 1GB is a bit too much.
-abscess

Post by -abscess »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
168mb isn't the size of the music but of the whole Act1 demo, which makes my estimation quite wrong. But still, considering that I'm giving the full size of Act1 to the music only, the cap I'm putting should be lower than what I said previously, making the final estimation even smaller.

What's the moral of the story?: Don't watch animu and do math at the same time ;)
DESU

Post by DESU »

-abscess wrote:
DESU wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that a big chunk of the demo's size is due to the music (around 75%, maybe?). Considering that there probably isn't too much of it we haven't already listened to, making some rough estimations and calculations:
Demo:
Music 168mb - 75%
Text+Graphics 56mb - 25%
Estimating that Act 1 is 20% of the whole game:
Text+Graphics 56mb*5=280mb
Music+NewMusic ~ 200mb
Estimated whole game size: ~480mb
Adding an error of +100mb: ~580mb

I'm capping it at 600mb, MAYBE 700mb, but I have my doubts. 1GB is a bit too much.
well if 600 is the estimated cap, then it should be able to fit on a CD-ROM

though with all this talk of disks, it got me to thinking: what should the design on the disk look like?
I know we can't make professionally labeled disks like commercial ones, but there exists CD labelers and lightscribe disk drives, so it could be done.
I was thinking of just a big heart on the entire disk face, with the Katawa shoujo logo on the top of the disk.
(i can't draw nor shop nor anything so don't expect drawings from me)
ImageImage
>Completion 28%
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

DESU, your avatar is so very cute. I just have to say that.

Anyway, I think the disc should have Hisao. Give the guy some love! And what about the inside cover? Sometimes it's just blank, but that bugs me a bit. I'm thinking an image of the schoolhouse/gate with the girls in front of it would work... Or actually, a picture of Kenji passed out on the roof with empty bottles scattered all over.