Thank God for Hangovers

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Saika

Re: Thank God for Hangovers

Post by Saika »

Well, after looking at Japanese last names, I think I'll go with Saika Yamazaki. Why? Because it sounds cool.
And I think I'll just leave it as "higher than average" for height and weight.
The main problem I have for the name is if he's American. If you could post something about American names it would be helpful.
And I've pretty much decided that I want one(or both, if you guys want) of you guys to put him in one of your fics.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I'll put some thought into it, but I gotta warn you(E_Line would agree), weird shit happens when other people's OCs are entrusted to me.

Anyways, American names...GO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... ted_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_popul ... th_America

http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/eng.php
Wren

Post by Wren »

Kosher speaks the truth, lol. :)
"They leave. Because they should, or they find someone else. And some of them...some of them, forget me. I suppose in the end....they break my heart." - Tenth Doctor talking about his companions.

BG Artist - Somnova Studios - Missing Stars Project
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

kosherbacon wrote:I'll put some thought into it, but I gotta warn you(E_Line would agree), weird shit happens when other people's OCs are entrusted to me.
Whoooo boy, if only you saw what he sent me this morning... :shock:

But you will not. It is...The One-Shot That Must Not Be Seen.
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Extremist_Line wrote:
kosherbacon wrote:I'll put some thought into it, but I gotta warn you(E_Line would agree), weird shit happens when other people's OCs are entrusted to me.

You're well aware that this only makes the public curiouser, right?
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Leotrak wrote:
Extremist_Line wrote:

You're well aware that this only makes the public curiouser, right?
More curious*
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Esa94 wrote:
Leotrak wrote: You're well aware that this only makes the public curiouser, right?
More curious*
I like my version better 8)
"oh moe is me" -me
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Leotrak wrote:
Esa94 wrote:
Leotrak wrote: You're well aware that this only makes the public curiouser, right?
More curious*
I like my version better 8)
But it's not grammatically correct. And sounds dumb.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Esa94 wrote:But it's not grammatically correct. And sounds dumb.
Hm. I thought it sounded pretty entertaining, personally. But let's not derail this thread any further >_>
"oh moe is me" -me
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

No grammer-nazing please. :|
Leotrak wrote:You're well aware that this only makes the public curiouser, right?
Well, perhaps one day when I'm really bored, I will post a 'Behind the Scenes' thread which will contain the various one-shots and fics that kosher and I wrote that we never posted. Don't get your hopes up though, it's not happening anytime soon.

That is, assuming kosher would be alright with me putting them up. Of course, I don't see why he wouldn't, considering he posted 'Madam Lilliam' and 'Calamansi'.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Extremist_Line wrote:No grammer-nazing please. :|
You write fiction, and you don't want people to use correct grammar? You should be ashamed of yourself. :?
“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).
I think this says all that's needed about use and intentional misuse of this particular word.

Anyway, please just DO things, people. If you want to post writing, post it; if you don't want to, don't. Just don't dangle hints in front of the audience - and don't go overboard on requests, either. Requesting hasn't been a problem so far, but if it picks up I'll just slap in a sticky similar to the one on the Fan Art side of things and call it a day.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Saika

Post by Saika »

I don't really care. I just want my character in a fic.
After looking at American names, I think I'll go with Cy(Cyrus) King. You know, there's actually some logic behind that...
Which brings me to my previous question. Do you want me to post his disability or message it to you guys to keep it a secret?
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

PM sent.
Saika

Post by Saika »

And returned.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much, I just spent the last six days at Warren A. Hood Scout Reservation, AKA Summer Camp. I took five boring as hell ecology merit badge classes and a somewhat exciting motorboating class. Of course, walking around a several hundred acre large camp in weather with a heat index of a hundred-and-fricken-twelve is not fun, even if the shooting sports instructor was the most bad-ass guy I have ever seen. The dude used to be in the Navy, and he did a HALO parachute jump with a freaking claymore mine strapped to his helmet just for the hell of it.

ANYWAYS, enough of my personal life. I really should be resting, but because I love you guys so much, I'm gonna post two one-shots that have been sitting in my sent messages for a while. Enjoy.

The characters of Nikki and Eri are from kosher's fic 'Broken Dolls'. Both it and Hangovers are canon with one another. If you haven't read it, you probably should.

One Shot: The Ultimate Promise
Sometime in 2012

I stretched out after easing back into conciseness, then I looked over at the girl that was still asleep next to me. I turned over, wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her close. She moaned quietly in contentment.

After a few minutes, she began to stir and wake up.

"Morning honey."

"Good morning." She turned her head up and gave me a kiss.

"Hey Hanako? Do you mind if we go somewhere today?"

"Sure, where are we gonna go?"

"You'll see."

She smiled. We got up and started dressing. Nothing formal, just some jeans, a t-shirt, and a button up over it. Hanako wore her typical skirt and blouse. We stopped at the front door.

"You go ahead, I have to do something right quick." I told her. She nodded and stepped out the door. I walked over to my computer desk, picked up the various crap that was laying around out of the way, until I found my cleverly concealed surprise. I picked it up and slid it into my pocket, then made my way outside where Hanako was patiently waiting. I took a hold of her hand and we started walking.

"I never did show you the river, did I?"

"No, we always pass by it, but we never have gone up to it."

"Great, that's where we're going. "

We continued our walk. While we were walking, I shifted my finger around and weaved them with her's. After a few minutes, we reached the levee and climbed up on top of it. Before us was the mighty Mississippi River. It's a beautiful view really. I would have waited until evening, when you can see an amazing sunset. However, I couldn't wait until then.

"Wow, it's really nice up here Luke."

"Yeah, I know."

We sat down next to each other and looked at the mighty river in front of us.

I sighed deeply.

"Hanako, do you remember when we first met?"

"Of course I do Luke. I remember I was pretty nervous of you at first. Then I found you when you were hungover, and things just took off from there." She replied, looking over at me and smiling.

I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her close.

"Yeah, thank God for hangovers, huh?"

We paused for a while, before Hanako re-started the conversation.

"So, what are we going to do now?"

"Well, do you want to go back home? I mean-"

"No, not right now, I mean what are we just...going to do for the rest of our life, I suppose?"

I reached down and took a hold of her hand.

"I don't really know, but, there is one thing I am really sure of. No matter what happens in the future, I want you to be with me every step of the way."

I stood up and pulled her up with me.

"We've been together for five years now. We've helped each other through everything that's hit us. I'm going to be honest and say I probably can't live without you."

I got down one one knee, like you always see then do in the movies, and reached into my pocket.

"So, Hanako Ikezawa, will you marry me?" I asked, opening up the small black box I pulled out.

She clasped her hands over her mouth in surprise, then replied:

"Of course I will Luke."

I took the ring out of the box and slid it on to her finger.

"I didn't think you'd say no." I said, right before giving her a kiss.

"You know Luke, I was wondering when you were planning to do this. Nikki and Eri got engaged nearly a year ago."

"Aw, they did? Dang it! I can't believe my little sis got engaged before I did."

She giggled before wrapping her arms around me.

"It's ok Luke. I would have waited as long as you needed to."

"There wasn't really much of a reason for me to wait though."

She slid one of her hands down and took a hold of mine.

"Well, we're engaged now, that's all that matters. Come on, let's go home."

We started our long walk back to the house.

"Now, I was wondering about kids..."

"Oh Jesus."

One Shot: Heredity

After the third time of knocking at his door, I had finally had enough and pushed it open.

"Yosuke! Get up son! C'mon, you could be doing something productive with all the hours you spend sleeping!" I said as I yanked the covers off of him. He responded by groaning and pulling them back over himself.

"Tisk tisk. You're so damn obsessed with the military, but you can't even get out of bed. You're not gonna be able to cut it if you enlist, you know."

He mumbled something unintelligible at me. I took it as an invitation to flip his mattress over.

"AH! Dad! It's 9 AM on a frickin' Saturday!"

"Your point is? You know, when I went to school with your mother, we had to go to school on Saturdays. You should be glad you don't have to!"

"Yeah, yeah." He muttered as he stumbled out from under the mess of blankets. His hair was an absolute mess.

"Besides, I cooked train wrecks this morning. I suggest you go get some before I eat them all."

"Oh! Why didn't you say so?" He said as he darted out the door.

I shook my head as I followed him to the kitchen. He enthusiastically started piling the various components of the classic camp meal I had cooked together. His sister watched with contempt from the living room.

"You know, they don't serve that kind of food in the Army!" She called.

"Yeah, I know, that's why I'm enjoying it now!"

She rolled her eyes and returned to watching the TV. Truly my son, Yosuke was determined to enlist in the Army as soon as he turned 17. I was the same way when I was his age, so I can't say much. His mother was none too pleased with his plan, but I assured her it was just a phase.

As Yosuke sat down at the dinning table, I joined him.

"You know son, you ought to talk to your uncle Kenji sometime. He actually served in the Army...well, not the American Army, but he did serve in the Army. Then he got discharged and worked as a mercenary."

"Woah! Really?"

"Really, you should ask him about it the next time you see him."

"So, what Army did he serve in?"

"The Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force."

He looked down pensively, then looked back up at me.

"So, dad, I've been wondering...why are a bunch of our aunts and uncles Japanese?"

I looked through the door into the living room. Sarah stared back at me, raised her eyebrows, then returned to the TV.

"Well, it's a long story."

"I've got time."

I chuckled and ruffled his hair.

"Alright. Well, when I was about 18, I went to a school in Japan for a while. That's where I met your mother. I only went to school there for a year though, I came back home afterwards and started going to college."

"Did mom come too?"

"Not at first. She was really upset when I reminded her I had to come back home...I still remember it..."

My mind started wandering to the words we shared on our final day at Yamaku.

"Uh, anyways...she actually payed me a visit the same summer I left, and surprised me by saying she would be going to the same college as me. Later that year, she moved in with me and my parents. And well...things just sort of took off from there."

I got up and walked into the living room. I took a book off of the shelf and sat down on the couch. Yosuke joined me.

"Here's a photo album of those days." I opened up the first page, where the graduation picture was tucked in, reading 'Yamaku Academy, Class of 2008'.

"Hey, there's you and mom...there's Uncle Kenji...Aunt Misha and Uncle Hisao...Aunt Lilly and Aunt Shizune...even Aunt Eri and Aunt Nikki!" Yosuke pointed out as he looked through the crowd.

"Wait, I thought Aunt Nikki was a few years younger than Aunt Eri?" Sarah asked.

"She is. She managed to jump into the picture without anyone knowing she wasn't part of the class."

"Hey, what's up with Aunt Nikki? She's got those leg braces on...and Aunt Eri has something sticking through her clothes...Ah! Is that girl missing an arm? Dad! What kind of school did you go to?"

"Oh...uh...I haven't told you guys yet, have I? Well, Yamaku was actually a school for disabled students."

"But...why were you there?"

I sighed.

"I'll tell ya'll some other time. Anyways..." I started flipping through the pages in the photo album, letting the memories re-invade my head.

"Here's me and your mother during summer break...here's us during Christmas...there's us with Aunt Lilly..."

"Hey dad, if mom got to go there and she just had scars, could I go there because of my eyes?" Yosuke asked, pointing to his eyes. I'm still amazed that he turned out heterochromatic, one of his eyes was a blue like mine, while the other was a lighter shade of his mother's amethyst eyes. He was a few feet shorter than me, but still taller than most of his classmates. His sister looked nearly identical to her mother. Apparently the gene mutation Hanako has is dominant in females. Sarah did inherit my poor eyesight though.

"No, she had special reasons she had to go there." I continued browsing through the photos.

"Wow, that was a nice school." Sarah commented.

"I know, it apparently had some really good funding."

We continued to flip through the pages of the album for a long time. Eventually, I heard a knock at the door, signaling my beloved had returned. She greeted me with a kiss when I answered the door.

"Hey guys, guess what?" She said.

"What?" They answered nearly in unison. Despite how much they fought, they still truly were siblings.

"Your Aunt Nikki and Eri and cousins are coming over for this week! They're about an hour and a half from the airport right now."

"Really!? Awesome! It's been forever!" Yosuke said excitedly.

"Oh, I can't wait to show Fritz my new ideas for my next book!" Sarah said.

"Alright, well, I better go pick them up."

"Can we come dad? Please?"

I looked over at my wife.

"Go ahead, I'll stay here."

"Ok, see you later honey." I said, giving her a kiss.

We all piled into my wife's SUV and started the long drive to the airport.

"So, dad?" Yosuke asked from the backseat.

"Yeah?"

"What was it like being at Yamaku? How did you meet mom there?"

"Well...I remember when I first got to the town, I had two duffel bags and my laptop case, and a long walk to the school..."
**********************************************************************************************
Now, I am going to go sleep in my nice, soft bed with some cool air conditioning and no bug flying around.