Costume Day

WORDS WORDS WORDS

chaix

Costume Day

Post by chaix »

Something new for everyone to enjoy. I tried to keep everything within the time contraints of the actual game (all pre 2008). as an added bonus: try to name all of the characters/costumes mentioned, including Hisao's alternates. A few can be found in the "fun with photoshop" thread IIRC.

I wake up to the blaring... alarm? Why isn’t there an annoying beep sound in my ear? I roll over and check the clock; 10:30... crap. I jump over to the calendar on the wall; I’ve written something on it, but I”m not quite sure what. “CD NC?” the NC is my usual No Classes mark, but what the hell is CD? I put the odd acronym out of my mind and proceed through the morning routine. When I open my door to grab a shower, I find a bag wrapped around the outside door handle. I take it inside and empty the contents onto my bed. Inside is a container of some kind and what appears to be clothes, after a few shakes a small note also falls out.

Hisao, If you don`t have anything else for today, wear this when you come for lunch

-Hanako

I guess she must`ve been nervous writing the note, I can see impressions of previous writing and semi fresh eraser marks. I examine the other contents more closely; the container turns out to be hair dye, the clothes: a full suit. After trying to determine what is going on, I give up and continue through my habits, substituting in contents of Hanako`s delivery when appropriate.

Hi:“It’s official, I look ridiculous.”

As I look into the mirror and a fresh sense of disbelief washes over me; The hair dye turned out to be blue, a very pastel sky-like shade. Combined with the suit, I look like some idiot from some late-night anime. I sigh, grab my bag and head out the door, wondering just what she was thinking.

I find out s soon as I step out of the dorms. The quad is filled with more colours than I knew existed. I strain myself to find a normal looking person, and fail; anyone who hasn’t dyed their hair seems to have perfected anti-gravity fields around their head. It suddenly dawns on me what CD meant: Costume Day.

??:“Hicchan?”

I look behind me to see two girls approaching me. One with short black hair, and wearing a blue uniform that feels familiar; the other is wearing a similar uniform, but with brown hair. The short haired one begins making movements with her arms to her companion.

Mi:“It is you isn’t it Hicchan? Looks like you’re in the spirit of the day whahahaha.”

The laugh allows me to instantly identify the brown haired girl as Misha, which means that the short haired one must be Shizune. Every instinct tells me to flee these two quickly, Shizune had recently turned her dark side on me; a reaction, I assumed, to the increasing amount of time I had been spending with Hanako and Lilly.

Hi:“Sorry, gotta go do something-“

My sentence is cut off by Shizune grabbing my collar and bringing her face uncomfortably close to mine.

Mi:“Whahaha no one escapes the brigade chief Hicchan!”

Well at least now I know where I recognise the uniform from. It makes sense really, Shizune dressing up as someone who can control everything around them. I entertain the thought of voicing this opinion, but I decide against it, no need to put myself in an even worse situation.

Hi:“Why the grabbing? I’m perfectly capable of focusing my attention on the two of you.”

Mi:“Shizune said that she has plans for you today.”

Shizune’s harsh stare never leaves my eyes, it’d be funny if I wasn’t quite as disturbed by it.

Hi:“What kind of plans?”

Mi:“Whahahaha that’s classified information Hicchan.”

A line taken straight from the book, at least they have the decency to play their parts. Shizune begins dragging me through the crowds, using her free hand to communicate to Misha. They’re probably planning some kind of hideous and inhuman torture.

??:“Excuse me-”

I can feel Shizune loosen her grip as she tried to remain upright. A polite voice in my head tells me to help her, while another much louder voice tells me to bolt.

Obvious decision really, I race straight into the thickest part of cloud, weaving through bystanders wearing elaborate costumes. A flash of black and gold here, A blue armoured dress, several North High uniforms, all of these blur together as a rush past. When I finally stop, I find myself in front of the school’s entrance. I make my way up to the usual room, the path burned into my memory over the past few weeks.

I open the door and look inside, hoping my sprint didn’t get me here too early.

Hi:“Lilly? Hanak-”

A flash of pink hair catches my eye and I hide myself behind the door frame before I can fully process the situation.

Li:“Hisao?”

Not the voice I was expecting, I suddenly recall Misha’s dyed brown hair from earlier and relax.

Hi:“Sorry, the pink hair triggered a fear reflex.”

Li:“Pink hair?”

Hi:“Misha’s is a similar colour.”

Li:“You shouldn’t try to hide from your problems Hisao.”

Hi:“Considering the greeting I got earlier, I think it’s justified.”

I sit down n my usual chair and examine Lilly. Her hair is dyed a vivid shade of pink with a gold clip on her left side, she’s also wearing what appears to be a white overcoat on top of something black.

Li:“What happened?”

Hi:“I felt like I was getting bullied out of my lunch money.”

I suppress a laugh at my own joke. Lilly simply tilts her head in confusion.

Hi:“Uh, sorry. They said they had plans for me. I didn't like the sound of it so I bolted first chance I got.”

Li:“What about your heart?”

Hi:“Beating a little fast, I probably shouldn't try it again. Not today at least.”

She gives me a disappointed look or at least as much of a look as she can give. I take the hint to move to another topic.

Hi:“So, who are you?”

Li:“I’m not sure actually, Hanako suggested that I wear this last year. The character sounded like a good person when she let me listen so I went along with it. I can’t seem to remember her name however.”

Hi:“Sounds kind of like what happened to me, mine was in a bag hung on my doorknob when I got up. I have no idea what I’m supposed to be.”

Li:“I believe she said something about trying to match your personality when we were looking.”

Hi:“Unfortunately, that doesn’t quite narrow it down.”

Li:“She should be here in a few minutes so you can ask her-.”

We both hear the door open and instinctively turn. A significantly different person walks through than the one I expected. She’s obviously in costume, wearing what appears to be a straight jacket and long green hair.

??:“Hello Lilly, Hisao.”

Li:“Hello Hanako, did it turn out well?”

Wait, that’s Hanako?!

Ha:“Your costume looks very nice on you Hisao, any chance you could make us tea?”

She begins giggling, unsuppressed gigging at a joke no one understands but her.

Hi:“That is you right Hanako? No brainwashing, and no spirit possession right?”

She looks at me as if i’d just said something odd, well it was kind of odd, though not as odd as the way she’s acting. As she sits down I can just see the edge of the scarring on her face, definitely Hanako.

Ha:“So Hisao, do you know what you should be doing right now?”

Hi:“Absolutely not.”

Ha:“You should be serving the ladies their tea, or don’t you know what you are?”

Hi:“No idea, please enlighten me.”

Ha:“You’re a butler, and for today, you’re our butler.”

She finishes with a smile that could rot teeth at twenty paces.

Hi:“Right away milady.”

I’m halfway through serving them before I realize I've just been thoroughly manipulated.

Hi:“Wait, how did- when the hell did you turn into Shizune?”

Hanako shrugs and excuses herself, presumably to the bathroom.

Li:“I’m sorry Hisao, I forgot that you hadn’t seen Hanako like this. She becomes less... restrained when she puts on a costume.”

Ha:“Restrained? You mean that’s what Hanako’s really like?”

Li:“No, it’s as though...”

She shuffles around in her attempt to phrase it in her usual polite fashion.

Li:“If you pretended that some... events in your life had never happened, it would be like you had become a different person correct?”

Hi:“Is that what she’s doing?”

Li:“Yes, I believe she’s one those who are able to take complete advantage of this day.”

Hi:“Eh?”

Li:“This event was created so that the students could try to forget about their problems, to be... someone else for a day. It doesn’t work as well for everyone, but it is... nice to be someone else for awhile.”

Hi:“So, I should humour her?”

Li:“I think that would be best. In any case, I have often wondered what it would be like to have a butler.”

Before I can attempt to argue, Hanako walks back into the room. I attempt to get into my butler persona, despite never actually having seen a real butler.

Hi:“W-welcome back milady, is there anything I can do for you?”

Ha:“Hmmmm.”

I don’t like the look she’s giving me, it feels like a slight cross between being undressed and the look Shizune gives me when she’s about to take her anger out on me.

Ha:“No not right now, anything for you princess?”

I slightly cringe at Hanako calling Lilly ‘princess’. Lilly doesn’t seem quite as put off by it though. Then again she might just be debating whether to take full advantage of the situation. I’m starting to think I might’ve been better off being tortured by the vengeful god.

Li:“No, I think its fine for us to just have lunch together for now.”

Thank you Lilly.

Ha:“Could you please go get our lunches then?”

Hi:“Your... lunches?”

Li:“I have mine here, you didn’t bring yours Hanako?”

Ha:“Uh... no. I was thinking I could get Hay-Hisao to get something for us. Or maybe he could make something for us?”

Another smile, must- resist- her-

Hi:“I’m a horrible cook, I’ve burnt water... several times in fact.”

Really it was just once when I was maybe 10, but I’m not going to invite extra work.

Ha:“Oh well, guess we’ll just go get something from downstairs, you’re carrying it though.”

Hi:“Fine with me. Do you want anything Lilly?”

Li:“Hmmm? No, I should be fine.”

Hanako and I begin the trek through the empty halls, half-way to the stairs I notice she’s begun playing her tile game.

Hi:“Glad to see you didn’t completely change.”

Ha:“Wh-what?”

Hi:“You’re playing the game again aren’t you?”

Ha:“I-I guess so, s-sorry.”

As much as I know that her stuttering isn’t something to be encouraged, it’s oddly comforting.

Ha:“I’m... I’m really sorry.”

Hi:“I really don’t mind you playing that-”

Ha:“N-no... for m-making you dress up and b-be our b-butler. I... I get caught up in being different and...”

Hi:“Well I don’t mind the dressing up part... why’d you choose a butler though? Couldn’t you have picked something... I don’t know, more manly? Like a guy who exorcises demons or a criminal mastermind?”

Ha:“I-I guess so, but they... wouldn’t fit you as well.”

Hi:“What about being a butler fits me?”

Ha:“The... the character you look like, he... he’s kind and... even though his life isn’t very good, he makes everyone else feel better, e-even when he doesn’t.”

Hi:“Er... I’m not some blessed messiah, and I’m not that kind. I make snide and cruel remarks at my neighbour on a daily basis.”

Ha:“Wh-why?”

Hi:“Remind me to let you listen in on one of our conversations, I think you’ll understand after that.”

I look up and notice that we’ve made it to the cafeteria without realizing it.

Hi:“So,what would you like to eat today? Butler’s treat.”

Apparently my offer manages to her back into character.

Ha:“A sandwhich, a salad... hmmm what else?”

I look down at my wallet. It’s really a shame that the cute one is about to kill you old friend.

After getting our food we head back upstairs to Lilly a share a (thankfully) quiet lunch. When Hanako finally breaks the silence, we had all long since finished.

Ha:“So, what was everyone else wearing this morning?”

Hi:“Uh, I didn’t really look too hard. I was too busy running. Pretty sure there were more than a few versions of Itsuki, Kyon, Yuki, and uh..."

Ha:“Too bad, I’d like to see what everyone else did.”

Hi:“Isn’t there usually a costume contest or something with these kinds of events? We could go watch that.”

Ha:“Too many people at those things.”

I guess she hasn’t completely lost her fear of crowds while she’s like this. With a little convincing and a promise that she won’t have to go onstage, we finally manage to coax her into the gym and into a seat at the back.

MC:“Hello everybody! How are you doing today?”

The crowd roars with a muddled reply. The girl onstage is someone from another class, though with all the jumping around and the energy she’s putting into this, I might believe its Emi. Well, if the girl wasn’t almost twice her height and apparently missing most of her right arm.

MC:“We have some really great costumes here today: ranging from the obscure to some you’ve probably seen a hundred of already.”

Most people suppress a couple snickers at her joke, the rest just begin laughing. It really wasn’t that great of a joke though.

MC:“So let’s introduce our judges for today: Mr. Muto, give him a hand people!”

Hi:“How the hell did they wrangle Muto into doing this?”

Li:“I believe its a rotation they go through. It must be his turn.”

Hi:“He must be miserable right now.”

MC:“Now let’s have a round of applause for Mr. Nomiya!”

The applause is notably muted compared to Muto’s.

MC:“And a round for our third judge, the head of our school, Miss Yamaku!”

The applause is a deafening roar. Everyone must like her for some reason I’m not aware of. After the applause dies down they begin to lead the contestants up one by one.
Given the comments that the judges make on the microphone, I suddenly realise why the students like her: she’s a few steps away from being a full blooded Otaku.
I phase in and out during the presentation, not being able to fully nod off because of Hanako’s commenting, and not being interested enough to be completely awake. That is, until I see a duo walk up on stage, a pair I recognise.

Hi:“Oh god Shizune is in this?!”

Li:“Is she? I suppose it is a competition.”

As Shizune and Misha walk off-stage, the light falls on the announcer once more.

MC:“Well that was everyone that entered this year. Now we ask our judges for their final votes.”

The dean walks up onstage amidst a roaring crowd. As the spotlight falls on her I realise she’s been in costume the whole time. It looks like some school uniform I remember seeing before, Similar to the North High ones all the Haruhi cosplayers were wearing but different. The more striking thing is that her long hair is dyes bright blue, just a few shades darker than my own.

Ya:“Well it was a hard decision to make, but I think that these three are the best that we could’ve asked for... ”

She proceeds to name three people I’ve never heard of. They certainly not people in my class, likely not even in my year by their appearances.

Hi:“I don’t think I’ll be showing up to class tomorrow, any chance you’ll be skipping as well Hanako?”

Li:“Why would you want to skip class.”

Hi:“Shizune didn’t win, if I show up tomorrow, It’ll be like I have a giant ‘torture me’ sign on. So Hanako, any chance of hiding out with you?”

I can just barely hear her stammering. As I move around to look at her face I notice it’s turned an unmistakable red, impressive since we’re in one of the darkest parts of the gym.

Ha:“S-s-s-s- sure hi-hi-hi-Hisao.”

She turns her face over to look at me, her movements apparently echoing the stutter in her voice.

Hi:“Alright then, Oh I almost forgot; do you want me to give this back to you tomorrow?”

Ha:“N-n-n-no, I... g-gave it t-t-to you.”

Hi:“Okay, see you both tomorrow.”

As I walk off back to the dorms, I can vaguely hear Lilly and Hanako discussing something. About what I don’t particularly want to know, I just want to get to sleep as soon as physically possible.
Last edited by chaix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
coldacid

Re: Costume Day

Post by coldacid »

Awesome. The idea of Shizune as Haruhi works eerily well. Now, though, I want to know what happens the next day, and on the day when Hisao finally returns to class -- how badly will he be punished?
<coldacid> hanak-o's
<coldacid> taste best when burnt
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Entertaining read, good job.

I assume this had some what of a influence on Shizune's costume choice.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

Damn.

Gotta give you props there, you really did rather well with that, you took the characters and expanded on them (or at least hanako) somewhat, which is always great.

Will read again most likely.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

There should have been a sentence, "I thoroughly enjoyed the way Hanako's face flushed red and stuttering like a woodpecker", cause I'm loving it.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Tsundere Lightning

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Interesting. I can't place Lilly and Hanako's costume.

Nice bit of slice of-life. Hanako was spot-on. I like this.

Looking forward to your next piece.
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.
chaix

Post by chaix »

Really? I thought Hanako's was so obvious I scrapped one of the costume ideas for Hisao because of it, it would've been like beating people over the head with the Hisao x Hanako pairing. Hisao's current costume caused me to scrap Emi as the MC so it wouldn't be... weird.
Shizune's costume choice stems about 50% from that photoshop, 15% for their similar natures and 35% because I like dropping Haruhi references where ever I can, especially if I can use one of Kyon's lines.

i'll throw up a list of all the costumes on Monday or Tuesday, Including those of all the minor (un)named characters.

Post by Guest »

is hisao dressed as hayate? good job by the way
PharaohSauron

Post by PharaohSauron »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:Interesting. I can't place Lilly and Hanako's costume.

When I saw the straitjacket and long green hair, I immediately knew Hanako is cosplaying as C.C. A killer combo, since C.C. is my favorite from Code Geass.

As for Lily, I have no idea.
Remember, folks:
I'm watching you.
Mikage-sama

Post by Mikage-sama »

I didn't get the reference until you mentioned it because she wasn't acting CC-like
chaix

Post by chaix »

well Hisao doesn't have a poor man's face and the worst luck ever, so it still works, besides, Hanako would've seen... about 18ish episodes max, and 4 of them have little to no CC. I chose CC mostly because nomal Hanako would wear the least revealing thing possible. In contrast everyone else's is more personality based so they can act normally and still manage to act like the character.

Now if I had gone and given Hisao the "black and gold" costume, then I might have been more inclined to write her that way. most of their relationship seems to get built in R2 though, which wouldn't have aired yet.

Edit: It's Monday and I hate double posting, so here's the list of costumes used:
Hisao: Hayate Ayasaki (hayate the combat butler)
Hanako: CC (Code Geass)
Lily: Lacus Clyne (Gundam Seed, more specifically the outfit she wears on the Eternal)
Shizune: Haruhi Suzumiya (melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Misha: Mikuru Asahina(melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Miss Yamaku: Konata Izumi (Lucky Star)
Hisao alternate: Lelouch Lamprouge (Code Geass) and Allen Walker(d. Gray-man)
Other students: Servant Saber(fate/stay night), Britanian school uniform, characters from melancholy