Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

darkblade986

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by darkblade986 »

Bara wrote:You just have to let loose a little chuckle at some of the names given to some of the protein simulations that we run. I just saw this one today:

[16:40:34] Project: 6318 (Run 2768, Clone 30, Gen 1)
[16:40:34]
[16:40:34] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[16:40:34] Entering M.D.
[16:40:40] Protein: Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists Sane in water

I have to admit, reading that made me giggle. :lol:
Fun fact - that anagrams into "Gromacs," which according to my log file is the core my system is running anyways. Who says scientists don't have a sense of humor (a random one, at that).
Bara

Post by Bara »

darkblade986 wrote:Fun fact - that anagrams into "Gromacs," which according to my log file is the core my system is running anyways. Who says scientists don't have a sense of humor (a random one, at that).
The better anagrams have a touch of the absurd to them. But I wonder what an "oystrich" is? Is it a flightless bird that filter feeds in sea bottom sediments?? :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

I started folding on the overclockers.com team a few years ago. I don't visit there often anymore so I'll switch teams to KS. My PPD is pretty low, 500PPD, since most of my computers are old and slow and only on 10-12 hours per day. If I can figure out why the SMP client is only using 1 core I might be able to improve it a bit. I tried the GPU client but the only computer with a new enough graphics card is running linux and GPU2 doesn't like the driver Crossover uses.

update...SMP is using both cores as long as it's not working on a regular Gromacs, so there's one problem I don't have to fix.

Retried the GPU client using WINE, I keep getting UNSTABLE_MACHINE now.

Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

darkblade986 wrote:anagrams
pssst.. it's mnemonics.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
JetAlone

Post by JetAlone »

For anyone running the SMP client, consider updating to the new version 6.29. It allows you to use the new A3 core which is more efficient and includes a bonus point system for returning work units ahead of the deadline. I got a nice upgrade in PPD on my quad core from around 1600 to 4000. Dual core performance should be about the same.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Well I have 3 computers, a 500Mhz windows 98 with 256megs ram(was going to get thrown away, but i'll save it for you), a 1Ghz Windows 2000 with 384 megs of ram and a moderately good graphics card for an old agp, and a brand new 2.3Ghz windows 7 with a moderately high end graphics card. I can run the client 24/7 on the 98, nearly all the time on the 2000, but i'm going to have to turn off the client on the 7 machine occasionally, since tf2 takes alot of power.

I know it's not much, but i'm willing to help.

Now I need to see how complex this program really is.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Wokka

Post by Wokka »

DESU wrote:I know it's not much, but i'm willing to help.
If the GPU client will run on the computer with the high end card, install that. Once I got it working on my system (had to switch back to windows), that single client has out-performed the rest of the farm.

Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

raven8

Post by raven8 »

DESU wrote:Now I need to see how complex this program really is.
In terms of getting it going, it's not complex at all (GPU client, that is). The standard and GPU clients were both easy for me to get going on machines I added to this. The SMP client constantly fails in one way or another, and I got sick of dealing with it. If you were able to get the SMP client going (I think I saw that in a post of yours I skimmed, above), the GPU client will be a snap.
BassVII

Post by BassVII »

Hm. Probably a bit late, but this seems excellent. Going to try and run the GPU client once I upgrade my graphics card this week. Sticking with the Systray for now.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Congratulations on cracking the 300 mark, guys.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

That's pretty impressive. I just started F@H up about ten minutes ago. Been meaning to get around to doing it for ages since my PC is basically doing bugger all overnight. Any special settings or the like I should keep in mind? Or will it just run fine from the get go.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Truly impressive, guys. We've been folding for a little over 8 months, and are in the top 0.17% of all registered teams.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ShinseiTom

Post by ShinseiTom »

Well, I've been booted down to 4th now. I guess losing that 2nd card really hurt me, or the others really got going! Either way, this team is awesome! Top .17%? Dang! :shock:
DESU

Post by DESU »

I'm surprised how efficient the GPU is in comparison to the CPU. I have a GeForce 8600 GT (when I said medium high end card I was probably exaggerating, due to lack of knowledge of what is high end) and the core clock is only 540Mhz while my CPU is 2.3 GHZ, yet my graphics client has been chugging out work units like it was nothing.

EDIT: GPU client's not working right, keeps hanging, viewer not working right, probably to powerdown while windows was booting, probably screwed up windows, will probably have to reinstall windows AGAIN, just dealt with 3 days of bios fuckups and windows 98 driver instability on 2 other computers, goddammit not this one too.
Last edited by DESU on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Remember that the GPU Client is handling work units that are optimized for the kind of calculations that Graphics processors are built to run. The Universal Client using you computers CPU is handling the work units that have calculations that would bog down a Graphics Client. GPU Client = race horse. Unversal Client = Clysdale pulling a beer wagon.

But, without the Clysdales of the world we would have no beer. That would be a sad thing. :D

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?