Skin grafts?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

G3n0c1de

Re: Skin grafts?

Post by G3n0c1de »

Umm, Silentcook? I've been curious about the nature Hanako's burns, and sorry if this has been asked a lot. What is the extent of the damage? Is the damage purely cosmetic? And about her scars, I'd imagine they'd feel numb, or perhaps have some dull sensation, or is she in pain? Are there any peculiar things, like she can no longer sweat from her scars or grow hair from those areas? It doesn't seem that she has it all that bad, but could burns as serious as those have permanent internal injuries as well? And her face, has her right eye been damaged?

I do realize that these may just be answered in the game, and completely understand if you are unable to answer them. So let me throw out something that won't raise any spoilers (I think... based on your previous post). Hypothetically, if Hanako were given all those expensive and difficult procedures, how effective would they be? Would she look a bit more like normal, or are there some things that can't be undone? How do these procedures work?

Sorry if this is a mouthful.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Wait, there was a successful skin graft.

But, to celebrate, she tried to juggle candles. :roll:
abscess

Post by abscess »

Jesse wrote:Wait, there was a successful skin graft.

But, to celebrate, she tried to juggle candles. :roll:
Candles alone hardly give you the crunchy-toast aspect Hanako has :P
Probably she tried to beat her fear to fire imitating a fire-breather?
Siiiiigh....
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

G3n0c1de wrote:...
I do realize that these may just be answered in the game, and completely understand if you are unable to answer them. So let me throw out something that won't raise any spoilers (I think... based on your previous post). Hypothetically, if Hanako were given all those expensive and difficult procedures, how effective would they be? Would she look a bit more like normal, or are there some things that can't be undone? How do these procedures work?

Can't say much about your first part, but the second, I think it's quite easy to answer. Basically, without prejudice to the King of Pop, but all prejudice to his surgeon, the graft would likely turn out like Michael Jackson's. And, worse still, it may not be successful.
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

Despair Sensei wrote:No, it's because secretly Kenji is The Question and is the last sane man in an insane world defending us from the feminist conspiracy while singing off key pop diva songs.
Then he dies and is replaced by a lesbian... it all makes sense now!
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

arrhythmia_one wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:...

Can't say much about your first part, but the second, I think it's quite easy to answer. Basically, without prejudice to the King of Pop, but all prejudice to his surgeon, the graft would likely turn out like Michael Jackson's. And, worse still, it may not be successful.
Interesting.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

How old was Hanako when she received her burns because I remember Lilly telling you that she came to Yamaku when she was in junior high but was that right after her accident and subsequent healing or after a failed attempt to reintroduce her into normal society?

Related stuff:
I met one of my classmates from elementary school on a reunion some weeks back and while in elementary his face was burned in a barbeque accident and received some 3rd degree burns and detroyed his vocal chords so that he had a very raspy voice from that point on.
20 years back his face was horrible for a child but now it "just" looks like a really bad case of past acne he muste've had in his younger years - like some people have when they have already a bad acne, smoke and do not care for their appearance. Such things tend to leave scars and a knotty face too in some extreme cases.

Back to the topic:
Is Hanako's face the best of all possible faces she could have at the moment or is there a chance of improvement just like in the case of my old aquaintance?
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

I'll be honest, I don't think any burn victim would look like Hanako.
If anything, scarred/grafted tissue is usually lighter than the rest of the skin.

I do belive that, with time, it could become less noticable.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

cpl_crud wrote:I'll be honest, I don't think any burn victim would look like Hanako.
If anything, scarred/grafted tissue is usually lighter than the rest of the skin.

Depends on what degree burn it is.
kyuven

Post by kyuven »

I've actually seen people with skin grafts (I live in an affluent area where people can afford to have it done if they need to...or they win a lawsuit against the whatever that burned them...but that's another topic that has nothing to do with this) and they range from either lighter or darker than the rest of their body, sometimes depending on, I guess (I'm not a doctor) where the grafted skin came from. But, since I'd imagine grafted skin doesn't change pigment like the "normal" skin...or at least at the same rate...it could end up being more pale than the rest of the skin. Even then it still sticks out like a sore thumb (sometimes literally).
What i'm interested in with Hanako, and I'm willing to bet you guys actually bring it up in-story, is if her nerves on her burned portions are all dead or not. It'd be kind of sad if she couldn't feel...
Burns are excruciatingly painful, but if they're extensive enough, you stop feeling pain...
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

arrhythmia_one wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:I'll be honest, I don't think any burn victim would look like Hanako.

I've had 3rd degree burns on my right hand twice when I was a kid. I don't notice any difference between my right and left hands, they look pretty much the same.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
arrhythmia_one

Post by arrhythmia_one »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
arrhythmia_one wrote:

I've had 3rd degree burns on my right hand twice when I was a kid. I don't notice any difference between my right and left hands, they look pretty much the same.
Exactly. Maybe they were Higher 3rd or 4th degree...
toast

Post by toast »

It's probably like Silentcook said - The massive amounts of surgery it would require to get grafts would be pretty impractical.
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
vaen

Post by vaen »

arrhythmia_one wrote: Exactly. Maybe they were Higher 3rd or 4th degree...
4th means damage to the underlying tissue like muscle and tendon so I find that unlikely. I can't say I know to what extend such damage can be treated but I doubt she'll still be skipping around. however, with such a big area covered it's unlikely at least part of them weren't 3rd degree burns, requiring grafts. to my knowledge however, those don't look quite like how Hanako looks.

Post by Guest »

Compare Hanako to Jaqueline Saburido, who suffered extensive 3rd and 4th degree burns, and did receive multiple skin grafts as part of the healing process. Considering what percentage of Hanako's body must have been burned, she looks amazing. Also, scar tissue has no sweat glands or hair follicles. Some Hanako fanart has the scarring extend to her scalp, with a corresponding bald spot.