How long will the final product be?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mike1849

How long will the final product be?

Post by Mike1849 »

So I am wondering if anyone knows roughly how long the final product will be.
Act 1 was a pretty good length, especially for something made the way it was.

I understand that the next release will be the final version but, will there be more then 2 Act's? I see so much room for character growth given a longer story. And with a few characters yet to be introduction it will give lots of room for development
Bara

Re: How long will the final product be?

Post by Bara »

From memory (depend on it at your own risk) there are 5 Acts in total? There are threads which I'm too lazy to dig up in which the Devs go into total word count and such. Someone more ambitious than I can link them if they feel like it. :P

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Mike1849

Post by Mike1849 »

OK thanks, I mentioned earlier that I am new here But five Acts, given the legnth of Act 1 is longer the nI expected.
good Luck Developers! Do you guys take donations?
Nightdragon

Post by Nightdragon »

Well, it could last as long as it says on the picture that started it all, which is three months. I'm sure thats time in the game, not real life... I hope.

Seriously though, 5 acts sounds like a lot of room to make a very interesting story. I just hope the devs manage to mix it up enough where it doesnt get insanely repetitive when you go through it all over again to get a different ending. I'm sure they will, but I guess we will have to wait til the final release....
Bara

Post by Bara »

Mike1849 wrote:OK thanks, I mentioned earlier that I am new here But five Acts, given the legnth of Act 1 is longer the nI expected.
Nope, they have said before they were not interested in making money from KS. They have sugested that anyone who wishes can throw a donation towards a charity they like.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Mike1849

Post by Mike1849 »

Bara wrote:
Mike1849 wrote:OK thanks, I mentioned earlier that I am new here But five Acts, given the legnth of Act 1 is longer the nI expected.
Nope, they have said before they were not interested in making money from KS. They have sugested that anyone who wishes can throw a donation towards a charity they like.
What about the "pay the Dev's rent and utilities so he has more time to work on KS instead of his dead end job" charity?
Bara

Post by Bara »

Mike1849 wrote:What about the "pay the Dev's rent and utilities so he has more time to work on KS instead of his dead end job" charity?
They have in the past suggested a childerens charity or any charity people feel is worthy.
Giving the Devs donations would just complicate the tax returns they would have to file. Now that wouldn't be much of a "thanks" to them, would it? :lol:

vaen

Post by vaen »

iirc it was said that act 1 all in all was about 100'000 words and that the final product would be around 500'000 words. this is supposed to put it in the ballpark of the lords of the rings trilogy.
I could swear act 1 seemed way shorter than that though.
also, I don't think you need to be too concerned with having to skip lots for multiple playthroughs as each path has it's own writer.
about donations, last I heard the devs said they prefered you donate money to charaties since they are fine financially and don't want to do this for money. I can kinda imagine why since if they did accept donations they would instantly feel even more pressure to deliver a final product with good quality and within the span of another 4 years. this would naturally take out some of the fun.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Bara wrote:Giving the Devs donations would just complicate the tax returns they would have to file. Now that wouldn't be much of a "thanks" to them, would it? :lol:
Just mail them the money directly. The government will never know. :wink:
I can just imagine crud getting a package with American money it in and going "WTF am I supposed to do with this?"
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
Bara wrote:Giving the Devs donations would just complicate the tax returns they would have to file. Now that wouldn't be much of a "thanks" to them, would it? :lol:
Just mail them the money directly. The government will never know. :wink:
I can just imagine crud getting a package with American money it in and going "WTF am I supposed to do with this?"
DammifI know... mulch for the garden?

Cody8977897

Post by Cody8977897 »

What's with the mulch thing about. I thought you guys were talking about people going through taxes and getting money...
I can see the future but know not what is to come...
I know who I am, yet not who I will be...
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

There are five paths in the game; one for each of the Heroines.

Each path has an additional 3-4 Acts on top of Act 1 (so 4-5 acts per path).

As of this morning there are over 500,000 words, but not all of the paths are finished and added to the development version. That being said, I don't think it will move far from that 500,000 word mark.

Act 1 was about 97,000 words total.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money

Post by Guest »

cpl_crud wrote:There are five paths in the game; one for each of the Heroines.

Each path has an additional 3-4 Acts on top of Act 1 (so 4-5 acts per path).

As of this morning there are over 500,000 words, but not all of the paths are finished and added to the development version. That being said, I don't think it will move far from that 500,000 word mark.

Act 1 was about 97,000 words total.
Sounds good. If the following acts are as long as the first one, I will be happy.
But you say that there are around 500,000 words but not all paths are finished. And that you don't think it will move far from the 500,000 mark. That makes it sound like it is almost done or that somethign is being cutback on...
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Don't get your hopes up.

The first draft of all the paths were complted some time ago, but that is by no means indicative of our progress.

Each of us, having written approximately a novel each in getting to this point, have learnt a lot about writing, and we have all had the benefit of peer-based critique.

After the drafts were completed we all went over each other's paths with a fine-toothed comb, exposing the inadqeuices of each other's works. If you think we are harsh on the FanFic forum, then you should see the Dev Writing sections.

We are now all in the process of writing our second drafts. Some paths required a lot of re-working. But we are at the point now where we can say "Each story will say *this*", so we know what to expect.

But this process is in various states of completion across the board. Some are about half-way, others have only just started after working on Act 1.

Then there is the creation of the appropriate art assets, the music, the CGs and then wrapping it all together with some direction.

So yes, we know roughly how long the game will be, but that doesn't mean we're anywhere near being finished.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Carolina carting

Post by Carolina carting »

Thanks for explaining it so well to such a noob, you guys are awesome