The future

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ContinualNaba

Re: The future

Post by ContinualNaba »

It means that Hisao's going to have to go for the rare type of meat this way around.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

cpl_crud wrote: After the H path there was the HT path, the HT.5 path and finally the K path.
I'll like to said ... just a planned ... but it come with unfortunate conseguence.

So If I'm to translate right you got to end Hanako 4 time to get to see all of the girl?
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

They're basically just further revisions of the same path. K path was the final Hanako path as it exists in the game, and is what is referred to, albeit somewhat inaccurately, as her path's "second draft".

The general "first draft -> second draft -> editing -> done" process as explained on the blog and forums by devs is vastly simplified compared to what some routes have gone though. L path for example has had a section of ten scenes rewritten twice before the second draft started, and one scene was rewritten four times before ultimately being supplanted by the second draft's version, among other general shuffles and tweaks. This is also all stuff that was completed and posted to the development forums and inserted into the SVN copy; there are horrendous amounts of scenes written between all of us that ended up never being seen by anyone other than ourselves.
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

Oh wow, I thought it was much more simple than that.
"That weird motherfucker"
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

What Suriko said is true, but my naming conventions pushed common sense to the limit.
Also I trashed an entire path, about 50000 words. In. that branch there were no H scenes.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Member22

Post by Member22 »

cpl_crud wrote:What Suriko said is true, but my naming conventions pushed common sense to the limit.
Also I trashed an entire path, about 50000 words. In. that branch there were no H scenes.
Wow :shock: ... I guess some works have to be sacrificed to make way for better works...

Just out of curiosity... I wonder what would happen to all the scraps, lost paths and outtakes that were made in the writing and editing process? Will they be deleted/scrapped? Or some of them put as bonus content on the final KS? Or placed in a separate thread here?
Suriko wrote:They're basically just further revisions of the same path. K path was the final Hanako path as it exists in the game, and is what is referred to, albeit somewhat inaccurately, as her path's "second draft".

The general "first draft -> second draft -> editing -> done" process as explained on the blog and forums by devs is vastly simplified compared to what some routes have gone though. L path for example has had a section of ten scenes rewritten twice before the second draft started, and one scene was rewritten four times before ultimately being supplanted by the second draft's version, among other general shuffles and tweaks. This is also all stuff that was completed and posted to the development forums and inserted into the SVN copy; there are horrendous amounts of scenes written between all of us that ended up never being seen by anyone other than ourselves.
I wish that the ppl who post on these forums asking about a release date from time to time should read what you wrote.

Thinking about it now... this kind of reminds me of my research projects I do at uni (i.e similar manner of gathering sources, sorting them out, writing it first, editing and re-editing it etc), but the sheer amount of material you guys have to deal with completely dwarfs my one-man project/essay... lol compare one of five paths with 50,000 words compared to a puny 10,000 word essay on colon cancer lol.

I understand that I am unfairly comparing a work of one person to a collaborative effort... but still, the coordination between the writers is another matter on its own i.e criticizing/brainstorming etc in addition to the writing.

All in all, this has made me see you guys in a new light, so I salute your efforts devs and writers... keep up the work!
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

A couple of scenes have ended up in the Fan Fiction section, but most will probably never see the light of day.

Unless we go insane one day and open up the dev forums to the public after release or something.

We gave up sending them to the "Discarded Items" forum long, long ago.

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

cpl_crud wrote: Unless we go insane one day and open up the dev forums to the public after release or something.
This just make the Dev Forums akin to the Necronomicom ... Katawa Fthang!
Yet is amazing on all the works you are putting up for this game ... left me wothout words.
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

You lost 50,000 words like that? I would cry, personally.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

Member22

Post by Member22 »

ContinualNaba wrote:You lost 50,000 words like that? I would cry, personally.
But think about it... why would he drop 50,000 words out of the draft? There was probably something wrong with it that didn't register with cpl_crud's standards. Its one of the dilemmas of editing... and you just have to get rid of stuff to allow space for better stuff instead.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

When I finished the first draft it just worked out easier to start again from scratch.

------
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I know it was necessary, but still: The sunk cost!

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Path rewrites don't necessarily mean the entire thing was a waste of time; practice makes perfect, and Act 1 is largely the way it is simply due to the fact that we've discarded a lot of past material and become a little better at writing each time.

Also, each path is roughly 75,000 to 100,000 words depending on length.
ubergeneral

Post by ubergeneral »

while on the subject of word counts can you give a comparison of how much 100,000 words is?

How many words is a harry potter book? LOTR?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

ubergeneral wrote:while on the subject of word counts can you give a comparison of how much 100,000 words is?

How many words is a harry potter book? LOTR?
Google is a tool to be used. But Order of the Phoenix is the fattest with 257,045 words. Sorcerer's Stone is the smallest with 76,944 words. For the Tolkienites, Fellowship has over 177k words, while Return of the King has 134k.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.