Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Mumei

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Mumei »

Overall, a really good experience, but as others have said, Hanako deserves a fireworks scene like the other girls have. She and Hisao could easily watch them from the window, picking up just after where the scene currently cuts off.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Hanako's scene ends during daylight, therefore she has no firesorks scene in the Pre-Release version of Act 1.

As for the flow choices, if anyoen has seen our (outdated and wrong) Dev Flowchart you will see why we don't log all of the scenes in the Library.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

You write Hanako, Aura writes Rin, A22 writes Shizune/Misha, and I suspect the other two are none of my business. Right so far?
lurk moar

Post by lurk moar »

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

DuaneMoody wrote:You write Hanako, Aura writes Rin, A22 writes Shizune/Misha, and I suspect the other two are none of my business. Right so far?
Suriko writes Lilly, and I write Emi.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

TheHivemind wrote:and I write Emi.
Ah. The route I went first simply by following the choices I would make for myself. Even though she's not my type, I found her infectiously cute (forgive the Uguu~ jokes).

My only complaint in the end was that it seemed like I hadn't made any particular route -- Emi follows me around, directs me away from unhealthy food, and then suddenly I'm in my room alone monologuing about how I'm marginally less ronery than before, fade to credits. The rest of the routes actually felt like dates or something approaching them. I only bring this up because other people on forums like /a/ had similar experiences. Then again, maybe this is on purpose and leads into something in Act 2 and I should just let it be.

Beyond that, she's likeable and the bit about her being sensitive about her height (or is it apparent age?) is nice. I hope'm sure we'll get to see more of her personality fleshed out in the rest of the game.
Bara

Post by Bara »

DuaneMoody wrote:
Ah. The route I went first simply by following the choices I would make for myself. Even though she's not my type, I found her infectiously cute (forgive the Uguu~ jokes).

My only complaint in the end was that it seemed like I hadn't made any particular route -- Emi follows me around, directs me away from unhealthy food, and then suddenly I'm in my room alone monologuing about how I'm marginally less ronery than before, fade to credits. The rest of the routes actually felt like dates or something approaching them. I only bring this up because other people on forums like /a/ had similar experiences. Then again, maybe this is on purpose and leads into something in Act 2 and I should just let it be.

Beyond that, she's likeable and the bit about her being sensitive about her height (or is it apparent age?) is nice. I hope'm sure we'll get to see more of her personality fleshed out in the rest of the game.
Different relationships form at different speeds I guess. Also, I think some of the writers have simply had more time developing their characters than others.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

DuaneMoody wrote:

I got her first by accident as well. I think Emi's route is the easiest to get, not only because you only have to get two choices right, but the game almost psychologically tricks you into making those choices. If you try to choose wrong at the nurse's question you make Hisao, and the player by proxy, seem like a petulant child. Then at the track, the game tempts you into what appears to be risking a 'bad end' or making Hisao seem lazy. Doubly so if you are on Shizune's route and had him act aggressively before.

Hahaha! I just realised that her route in the demo feels like one giant guilt trip, that leads to watching Hisao fall for the same thing from Emi. No wonder it isn't very satisfying. Not to mention that Emi gets the least amount of screen time of any of the girls even when you play her route. We don't even get to learn much about her for following her route, except that she is teasingly competitive and intelligent enough to notice how her looks effect Hisao and use that 'against' him (for him?).
Bara

Post by Bara »

vermithrx wrote:I got her first by accident as well. I think Emi's route is the easiest to get, not only because you only have to get two choices right, but the game almost psychologically tricks you into making those choices. If you try to choose wrong at the nurse's question you make Hisao, and the player by proxy, seem like a petulant child. Then at the track, the game tempts you into what appears to be risking a 'bad end' or making Hisao seem lazy. Doubly so if you are on Shizune's route and had him act aggressively before.

Hahaha! I just realised that her route in the demo feels like one giant guilt trip, that leads to watching Hisao fall for the same thing from Emi. No wonder it isn't very satisfying. Not to mention that Emi gets the least amount of screen time of any of the girls even when you play her route. We don't even get to learn much about her for following her route, except that she is teasingly competitive and intelligent enough to notice how her looks effect Hisao and use that 'against' him (for him?).
Guit trip? Is this the reason why I have to suppress the urge to yell out loud at the screen, "I'll eat a bag of Pork Rinds if I WANT to!" when Emi and Hisao are at the festival together? :mrgreen:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Bara wrote:
vermithrx wrote:Hahaha! I just realised that her route in the demo feels like one giant guilt trip, that leads to watching Hisao fall for the same thing from Emi. No wonder it isn't very satisfying. Not to mention that Emi gets the least amount of screen time of any of the girls even when you play her route. We don't even get to learn much about her for following her route, except that she is teasingly competitive and intelligent enough to notice how her looks effect Hisao and use that 'against' him (for him?).
Guit trip? Is this the reason why I have to suppress the urge to yell out loud at the screen, "I'll eat a bag of Pork Rinds if I WANT to!" when Emi and Hisao are at the festival together? :mrgreen:
Yeah, I had basically the same response. Mostly, I hate it when someone tries to manipulate me like that, (unless it's done over something trivial or obviously in jest) because I am very susceptible to it. Despite her cuteness, teasing and can-do attitude, which I adore taken together, I've had too many bad experiences with people like that to find it endearing anymore. It's a big mark against Emi for me personally.

Give me reasoned arguments, gentle prodding, and simple, obvious reminders while working with me towards a common goal and I may (if we're lucky) manage to form the habit we desire. Try to browbeat or manipulate me against my will and I'll distance myself or work against you. Not that I act that way on purpose, it's just my default operating procedure when I'm not conscious of what's really going on.

So yeah, having to watch Hisao go through something similar really irks me. I'll play her route in the full version anyway, 'cause I'm obsessive about that sort of thing, but I probably won't enjoy it unless Emi and/or Hisao develops in ways that surprise me. I can hope for that at least. I think I'll be going her route first.
Bara

Post by Bara »

vermithrx wrote:
Bara wrote:
vermithrx wrote:Hahaha! I just realised that her route in the demo feels like one giant guilt trip, that leads to watching Hisao fall for the same thing from Emi. No wonder it isn't very satisfying. Not to mention that Emi gets the least amount of screen time of any of the girls even when you play her route. We don't even get to learn much about her for following her route, except that she is teasingly competitive and intelligent enough to notice how her looks effect Hisao and use that 'against' him (for him?).
Yeah, I had basically the same response. Mostly, I hate it when someone tries to manipulate me like that, (unless it's done over something trivial or obviously in jest) because I am very susceptible to it. Despite her cuteness, teasing and can-do attitude, which I adore taken together, I've had too many bad experiences with people like that to find it endearing anymore. It's a big mark against Emi for me personally.

Give me reasoned arguments, gentle prodding, and simple, obvious reminders while working with me towards a common goal and I may (if we're lucky) manage to form the habit we desire. Try to browbeat or manipulate me against my will and I'll distance myself or work against you. Not that I act that way on purpose, it's just my default operating procedure when I'm not conscious of what's really going on.

So yeah, having to watch Hisao go through something similar really irks me. I'll play her route in the full version anyway, 'cause I'm obsessive about that sort of thing, but I probably won't enjoy it unless Emi and/or Hisao develops in ways that surprise me. I can hope for that at least. I think I'll be going her route first.
Aye, I dig in my heels when I think I feels someone is trying to manipulate me thanks to growing up with a real asshat for a father. I realize this reaction I get is not from the character as written as much as it comes from personal triggers I have from my past experience. In other words I have a hyper-active sensitivity to feelings of someone attempting to manipulate me. I mean, I REALY would look dumber that I normaly do if I tried to blame my personnal issues on a fictional character.... :wink:
Emi is still my favorite simply because of her personality. It is the oposite counter to my personality and I find it irresistable; even with what I'd normaly percieve as "nagging".

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Bara wrote:
DuaneMoody wrote:

Different relationships form at different speeds I guess. Also, I think some of the writers have simply had more time developing their characters than others.
Wow. Lotta quotes and shit.

There are several reasons Emi's path plays out the way it does in the game; the main reason being that Emi didn't really have any sort of investment in the festival--Rin has her mural, Shizune has the whole bloody thing, Lilly has her need to fight with Shizune, Hanako had to blush and stare at the ground a lot, etc. Emi is part of the track team, and really the only reason she's even wandering around the festival is to see Rin and be sociable. So I didn't really think any big moment at the end of the festival was necessary. There's plenty of that stuff as the path goes on, of course, but I will confess that there's not a whole lot to Emi at first glance.

That's kind of the point, though. So there you go.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Hey. Thanks for answering me. Good point on Emi not being directly involved in the festival -- the bit in the art room blurs that a little in my mind.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Bara wrote:
vermithrx wrote:
Bara wrote:Guit trip? Is this the reason why I have to suppress the urge to yell out loud at the screen, "I'll eat a bag of Pork Rinds if I WANT to!" when Emi and Hisao are at the festival together? :mrgreen:

Aye, I dig in my heels when I think I feels someone is trying to manipulate me thanks to growing up with a real asshat for a father. I realize this reaction I get is not from the character as written as much as it comes from personal triggers I have from my past experience. In other words I have a hyper-active sensitivity to feelings of someone attempting to manipulate me. I mean, I REALY would look dumber that I normaly do if I tried to blame my personnal issues on a fictional character.... :wink:
Emi is still my favorite simply because of her personality. It is the oposite counter to my personality and I find it irresistable; even with what I'd normaly percieve as "nagging".
Well yes, naturally Emi's character stands apart from my reaction to her, and someone without my particular sensibilities about manipulation will percieve her differently. It would indeed be silly to "blame" a work of art for my reaction to it, but that doesn't mean my reaction isn't valid, or that such feedback can't be useful to artist behind it. (Whether it is or not, I have no idea.) I wouldn't have made these posts otherwise.
Wasting Time

Post by Wasting Time »

(Oh god first post and it's in the feedback thread. I must sound like such a dick.)

I've been lurking and observing Katawa Shoujo ever since 2007. I'm pleased with the demo, not to be a major suck up or something. I mean, look at other doujin visual novels. It's actually quite polished compared to others, even the ones that are Japanese.

I'm not one to idle away looking for typos though but it looks like it's being taken care of so I see no point in even trying to get on that.

The story:

The writing style is very nice but I find myself getting a little bored because Hisao's speech pattern is a little TOO repetitive. Too many comparisons all too cluttered and positioned oddly. Detail is important but sometimes it's more than just focusing on how a girl adjusts her glasses. Some simple movements like that even are drawn out a little more than they should. It won't make the writing seem any less 'fancy' or nice if it's just trimmed just a tad and replaced with something else.

It's a little hard going through the beginning being stuck with Shizune and Misha if you're someone that doesn't like them too much. Not that I don't, I just imagaine it must be very annoying on some. I know I found myself thinking "Okay when am I going to get away from these two?"

Some of his options you can make don't always match what Hisao does. The greatest example I can think of is "I'm fine" when Lilly, Rin and Hisao are out at night. Hisao basically shouts at them and runs away! Maybe the options should be a little more clear to those not used to visual novels? I'm used to them so I knew what the right answer was. Heh...

The characters:

Hisao: I am very impressed with him as a visual novel/eroge protagonist. He is definitely more than a faceless nobody, which I'm sure is on purpose. After all KS seems to have some story in with the sex according to developers. This is definitely showing in the demo and I LIKE it that way. He's not really that much of a douche, and if you do make the worse of two decision I still can't find myself angry at him. Thumbs up.

Shizune: People have expressed it's hard to tell when she is 'talking' and when Misha is talking. I have this trouble too even with the "..." notations that obviously she is signing something. I won't go too much on that. After all everyone else already said that! People are saying she redeems herself more into the game. This is true, but I still have a hard time finding the urge to give her more slack in the beginning. The way she shows hostility to Hanako just for being Lilly's friend borderlines displaying a "bully" message about her. Maybe more can be expanded on that, like how Hanako leaves for class and that could make Shizune annoyed as she is a very punctual girl.

Misha: Misha definitely appeals to certain people. I... can't say I'm one of them. Still, she isn't TOO overbearing and I can't find myself disliking her. (Or Shizune for that matter!) I think if I had to deal with her less I'd like her more. Then again she has to speak for Shizune so I guess that's not going to happen.Can't fix it all I suppose. I'm sure all my 'problems' with her and Shizune will be gone once the game is done and we learn more about them.

Lilly: She is probably one of my favorites despite on purposely being so cliche. The teabag thing threw me off for being someone who's supposed to be sophisticated. I guess doing it any other way is hard for someone who is blind! She's relaxing though and I enjoy her dialog every much. She's a nice girl but it's bad that if she and Shizune are fighting that I actually feel more bad for her than Shizune. That's not too good if both should be viewed in a close to as equal light as possible. Her indirect insults though kind of helped balance this to not make her look like a victim.

Hanako: I didn't think I would like her until I played the demo. She's super sweet and strangely, I don't find her shyness all that unbelievable. I feel like I didn't really get to 'know' her though as I went through her route. She... reads and is shy. As little as it sounds and kind of is you can actually go somewhere with very little. I'm sure it will be better in the full game.

Emi: Emi is sweet. She's not too genki and she's much less like Misha as I feared she'd be. I like her. Take for better or worse but, I can't really form any solid opinions on her. This may actually be kind of good really. All I can think of is "Oh, I like Emi I guess."

Rin: A lot of people seem to really like Rin when ironically, she is the one I have the most problems with. I don't mind her being out there and different, I really like this about her. She's not overly moe or really anything which is perfect for people who are not into that kind of crap I guess. That said though, I can't feel for her at all. I have no sense of her as a 'person', she feels more like a walking breathing personification of awkward conversation and witty remarks. Now if she had more 'human' aspects than just being "weird" this would probably make her much more easy to want to go for. Maybe she opens up more in the full game? After all she's supposed to be the hardest one to get!

I would get on to other minor characters but there isn't much to any of them except maybe Kenji... ...Yet I like them anyways! Pretty good for minor characters in an eroge!

The Art:

Overall: It's very very polished for a doujin game. I'm pleased. I know some may think of it as "western anime" but really the only thing keeping from feeling like any better to others may just be little mistakes that could be fixed. Even Japanese anime art has its (okay a shit ton) mistakes but if they are told it's western I'm sure people will pick up on it. Especially more amateur projects. No harm done. People seem to only notice distinctions with some characters. Maybe I'm very easy to spot these things but every character done by a different artist is distinguishable. What can be done though? The CG style helps smooth this bump out so it's no problem! It still for the most part LOOKS nice! Some are more hit and miss though... and character sizes vary for the most part. Jesus I can't fucking imagaine how impossible it would be to go and change all the little kinks and stuff in the art. If nothing was all that changed I could easily overlook it though as it's a doujin game and looks nicer than some other VN I've had to go through. *cough*Kanon*cough*AIR*cough*

Shizune: Her glasses look photoshopped on (Especially when she turns to the side with the "not looking at you" pose") and it really peeves me. I know glasses are hard. Her hands are very nicely drawn and that makes me happy. Her left arm on her hip is a little too widely placed. Maybe some perspective/foreshortening skill can be applied to that so her bended elbow is closer to her body and more natural looking. It's not too incorrect though... Also her mouth is place oddly on some sprites. The upside down V doesn't fit with the rest of the style. Example:
...Is it just me or does Shizune's upperbody not 'fit' in size with her lower body? It's probably just me.

Misha: I like her crossed arms pose and facial expressions but her hands bother me a little. Especially the hands on hips pose. Nothing too much to say though.

Lilly: Aah her sprites are so nice! But the one with her arms folded and one hand on her face look weird. That's... actually all I can say about her. Her eye style looks different but I don't mind because it looks good!

Hanako: Her sprites are my favorite! Except for her kinda 'scrambled' pose it's a little awkward and "Good Hanako you look kinda cool." Everything else is perfect in my opinion.

Rin: Virtually nothing really all that wrong with her. In fact her face turning pose is really nice because it's not a common angle! Her CG scene is by far one of the best along with the beginning one.

Emi (and Yuuko): Along with Yuuko, she strikes me as the most odd one out. The coloring is much different than the others and it shows. She's really cute though but... something is amiss. Her chest seems lopsided too.

Nurse: His style is different yes but not any different from the rest and with similar CG coloring I can't find myself caring ebough. Can't say much about him since his appearance is limited. His open mouthed grin is a little awkward and unfitting for him.

Kenji: Umm.... On the other hand though his "SHIIIIIIT" pose is so funny I let it all go.

Muto: Not much to say I guess. He seems a little messy in style but I can't put my finger on why. Lineart style? His pupils look a little too big for his kind of character/age.

Me shutting the fuck up:

I guess all and all I really like the demo and I was pleasantly surprised. ...Oh right and the intro just stunned me with how professional it looks. I loved it!
Also known as NamewithNumbers, Numbers or Burnish.