Favourite artworks - reprise.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CaveRave

Re: Favourite artworks - reprise.

Post by CaveRave »

Sea wrote:
Also, this is strangely very disturbing.
Of course it is: the face in the shot is a mirrored version of her right face. You're able to pick up the extreme symmetry of the two faces, hitting a region of the uncanny valley.

Kenji's right, those pod people are here.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I actually like Hanako better with the scars, as it gives her a defining feature instead of just being Generic Dark Haired Anime Girl #4578
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:I actually like Hanako better with the scars, as it gives her a defining feature instead of just being Generic Dark Haired Anime Girl #4578
Agreed. It makes her character design interesting. Which isn't to say that I'm glad she was burnt obviously, it's just that she did, and it looks kinda cool.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

SpunkySix wrote:
Oddball wrote:I actually like Hanako better with the scars, as it gives her a defining feature instead of just being Generic Dark Haired Anime Girl #4578
Agreed. It makes her character design interesting. Which isn't to say that I'm glad she was burnt obviously, it's just that she did, and it looks kinda cool.
That's one thing I really like about KS.

Lots of animes, especially the romance ones, will have characters going "Oh, I'm so sad because I can't tell him how I feel," or "nobody likes me and my life sucks," or "no matter how hard I try, I'm just no good."

KS takes those and goes"Oh, I'm so sad because I can't tell him how I feel because I am physically incapable of talking," or "nobody likes me and my life sucks because my family died painfully protecting me and I'm horribly disfigured ," or "no matter how hard I try, I'm just no good because of deep routed psychological issues."

They're not just your average angsty teens, they have real reasons for feeling bad about their problems.
Not Dead Yet
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

And, if Sturgeon's law is applicable to all forms of media, that's exactly the reason angst can work with a character - if it's done believably and with strong justification, not merely an "oh, I feel down" moment every thirty seconds.

In other news, that last image of Hanako would only be disturbing to some because we are so used to seeing her with scars.
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
That's one thing I really like about KS.

Lots of animes, especially the romance ones, will have characters going "Oh, I'm so sad because I can't tell him how I feel," or "nobody likes me and my life sucks," or "no matter how hard I try, I'm just no good."

KS takes those and goes"Oh, I'm so sad because I can't tell him how I feel because I am physically incapable of talking," or "nobody likes me and my life sucks because my family died painfully protecting me and I'm horribly disfigured ," or "no matter how hard I try, I'm just no good because of deep routed psychological issues."

They're not just your average angsty teens, they have real reasons for feeling bad about their problems.
Yeah, that struck me as really well done compared to most media. Hanako, for example, is a vastly superior character to, say, Shadow the hedgehog, despite having a similar loner attitude in some respects.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

CaveRave wrote:You're able to pick up the extreme symmetry of the two faces, hitting a region of the uncanny valley.
Fun Fact:

The exact same method was intentionally used to invoke unease with the Illusive Man in Mass Effect. Probably good that Hanako isn't like that.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Sea wrote: No one can resist the femji!

http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/2336.jpg
keep that thing away from me.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

linkoid wrote:

What are you, gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

KeiichiO wrote:
linkoid wrote:

What are you, gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
This, including the part in parenthesis. But oh my gosh she's super cute~
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

SpunkySix wrote:
KeiichiO wrote: What are you, gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
I'm half-gay myself, so that definitely wasn't meant as an insult. Just a genuine question.

Either way, I'd fuck that. I'd fuck that so hard.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

KeiichiO wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
KeiichiO wrote: What are you, gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
I'm half-gay myself, so that definitely wasn't meant as an insult. Just a genuine question.

Either way, I'd fuck that. I'd fuck that so hard.
Oh trust me, I didn't take it that way. No worries.

And I don't want to get too specific about this because it'd get pretty freaky, but I'd probably definitely end up doing some awful things to that that we'd both regret in the morning if I were to go there.

Thought the second picture there was interesting in concept... Katawa Shoujo without the Katawa part.
linkoid

Post by linkoid »

SpunkySix wrote:
I'm having trouble accepting that's kenji, or not, or... muuuuwwWEEEAAAAAAA /
She is here to steal our dicks, for her annual hot dog eating contest calling us male-ists
WAIT IS THAT SHIZUNE TRAPPED IN KENJI'S BODY?!?!?!?!
SHIZUNES MAMAMAA?
♪It's the end of the world as we know it♪
Yag!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 5myzt4.png

Thought the second picture there was interesting in concept... Katawa Shoujo without the Katawa part.
I really, really like this picture :) The Lilly and Kenji one I found interesting, as it shows a side of Kenji I wouldn't even to be able to think of (and the fact he's with Lilly just makes it odder, even though out of the 5 girls he seems to have the least bad things to say about her).

Took me a moment to figure out Emi's, if I'm being honest xD
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:
CaveRave wrote:You're able to pick up the extreme symmetry of the two faces, hitting a region of the uncanny valley.
Fun Fact:

The exact same method was intentionally used to invoke unease with the Illusive Man in Mass Effect. Probably good that Hanako isn't like that.
That's actually really interesting..!

I know that human faces are rarely symmetrical, and psychologists found that mirroring a photograph of a person's face and having it perfectly symmetrical actually made people who viewed it feel uneasy, even though most viewers couldn't discern why.

That being said my mate's sister has one eye really far up her head and it's just as harrowing.

Edit:
I do believe this is the bloke
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon