[SPOILERS] Disappointed by Hanako's Bad End

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: [SPOILERS] Disappointed by Hanako's Bad End

Post by Oddball »

Hisao begins to develop this "White Knight" feeling throughout Acts 1 to 3,
I don't think Hisao "begins" to develop it. It's just who he is. He tries to help people. It seems consistent no matter which route you take. It's just more obvious with some characters than others. He even tells Lilly in her route that he was the guy that used to break up the fights and arguments amongst his circle of friends.
A lack of social skills isn't really a problem you help with. A problem implies it's something that can and should be treated and that is interfering with a normal life,
It pretty much IS interfering with a normal life. She has difficulties with people when they walk past her for crying out loud.

And she IS receiving help for it. She goes to a therapist on a regualr basis.
but Hanako's social awkwardness (Extreme though it may be) is something she largely overcomes herself simply by practicing social interaction with someone close by that she trusts so that she's a little less nervous about going off on a limb.
And this is what Hisao was trying to do for her. He wanted her to get out more and interact with people more. Not even necessarily strangers or anything. he made it perfectly clear that the two of them could just go out together where nobody else would be around.

He just misjudged her and handled the situation poorly. As did she.

Hell, if Hisao had always simply acted as a friend and never told Hanako about his white knight tendencies, a whole lot of awkward situations could have been avoided.
And if Hanako stopped locking herself in her room, they wouldn't have had so much trouble either. Want to make up more theories about what would happen if the two of them weren't acting like themselves?
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
ShinigamiKenji wrote:And her bad ending is that she can shout a badass super heavy thrash metal. More powerful than "FUS RO DAH!!" :lol:
Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot.

Actually, it's my middle name. Never thought that when I finally saw it in a game, he would be so... Unique. But, well, so am I (but I don't preach against a feminist conspiracy, though now maybe I'm beginning to see it...). :lol: May I put this quote in my signature?

Sure you can! It's just a paraphrased quote from Kenji anyway. xD
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

On topic, I don't disagree with you all saying that how the choice determines Hisao's mindset, but I think maybe things were rushed a bit in the end. Hisao begins to develop this "White Knight" feeling throughout Acts 1 to 3, which are a lot more than last half of Act 4.
It's a little bit different. During act 1 and 2, Hisao merely starts getting to know Hanako and she in turn starts opening up to him very slowly. By the end of act 2, she trusts him enough to tell him a few things about the fire that scarred her and he trusts her enough to tell her his heart attack took place during a confession. During Act 2, Hisao doesn't act like a white knight...in fact, he acts the opposite. While Lilly is encouraging him to spend more time with Hanako, Hisao frequently wonders if Lilly is expecting him to drag Hanako out of her shell in some way, but also feels that's something beyond his abilities. Up to this point, Hisao merely thinks of Hanako as someone who's extremely shy, but nothing more. He comes to the conclusion he actually likes Hanako and is seriously considering asking her out. A small turning point comes up when he meets with Miki on the track field and to whom he admits he likes Hanako. Miki points out to Hisao that Hanako isn't merely shy, she's got deeper issues. That's where Hisao has his first major white knight thought. (If she needs a prince, I'll be that prince.)

The major turning point comes when Hanako has that panic attack in class. After his and Lilly's visit, Hisao tells himself Hanako isn't emotionally ready for a relationship and drops her into the friend zone. From that point on, there's several white knight thoughts he has, such as "Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if Yamaku was our entire world." (or something...basically mentioning Hanako venturing out into the world would be bad for her), "It's okay. I'll protect you." (said to Hanako's face) and several more "I want to shield her and keep her safe"-statements throughout Act 3 and 4.
And as the world we see is filtered through his mindset, the hints before Lilly's trip are sometimes too subtle, especially for a newcomer used to stereotypes (like me, good I got Emi's good ending first).
They're not exactly subtle if you know what's going on. The major factor that throws things off track is the fact that in a lot of other Visual Novels, that protective streak in relation to a shy/withdrawn/vulnerable female is often portrayed as a GOOD thing, so even though the telltale marks are clear as day, you may not think of them as red flags at first.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

Hmm... I think my KS timeline is a bit messed up then. Guess I need to replay her route. I seriously thought that syndrome came earlier in Act 2 or 3. But you all have a point. Maybe Hisao, as Oddball stated, already had some tendencies, especially considering the state he is when the game begins. And they are aggravated after her panic attack.

And yes, I really thought at first it would be better if I went Knight Mode. Luckily I didn't only want to protect her, but to make her face her awkwardness, choosing on the date and getting the good ending. That type of person is really overstereotyped...

Well, who I am to argue against the best Hanako fanfic IMHO? :D
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ShinigamiKenji wrote:Hmm... I think my KS timeline is a bit messed up then. Guess I need to replay her route. I seriously thought that syndrome came earlier in Act 2 or 3. But you all have a point. Maybe Hisao, as Oddball stated, already had some tendencies, especially considering the state he is when the game begins. And they are aggravated after her panic attack.

And yes, I really thought at first it would be better if I went Knight Mode. Luckily I didn't only want to protect her, but to make her face her awkwardness, choosing on the date and getting the good ending. That type of person is really overstereotyped...

Well, who I am to argue against the best Hanako fanfic IMHO? :D
Sigh...I went knight mode unintentionally during Emi's route. D:

I just wanted the distant BITCH to open up a little :evil: ...Ahem. :mrgreen:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."