Two Body Problem (Complete)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Asoko_Desu

Re: Two Body Problem

Post by Asoko_Desu »

I Could Lie to You and Tell You it Doesn’t Hurt
August 11 - Saturday morning

Miki sat under a tree and ruminated - those who thought her flighty and irresponsible would be surprised by how introspective she could be. Perhaps she was flighty because she didn’t often like the results of her introspection..

“Relationships that are easy to get into don’t seem to last - at least that’s my experience. But who knows - I’m just a teenager and I don’t know shit. Even adults don’t know shit or else my dad, who tried his best to protect me after mom left, would have kept me from losing my hand and .. fuck it, I’ve been down this rabbit hole before and it’s bullshit.”

“Tetsu’s future is in front of him, but he can’t seem to step into it - maybe it’s a future with Rin, and maybe because it’s taking forever means it’ll last forever .. but it’s progressing so slowly it’s not happening at all. To be fair, he has a lot of shit to deal with and his childhood - what I know of it - sounds dreadful, but maybe I can give him - them - a nudge. Tetsu doesn’t have anyone else - he deserves to have someone in his corner; I can do that. And he deserves someone that he can share his time with who’s not me - someone special.”

“Good timing - there’s Rin now ..”

“Hey - Tezuka.”

Rin paused and looked up to see Miki jogging over to talk to her. “Miura, Miki - runs track with Emi. Long distance runner,” Rin recalled from seeing Miki competing alongside Emi, though Emi is a better sprinter. Both had that look when they were running - she had that look now. Rin kept an image of Miki in a small drawer in her mind's filing cabinet.

“Miura.”

Miki caught up with Rin - “So - you and Kaiyou a thing?”

Rin looked aloof - detached. “Fuck sakes,” Rin thought - right to the point; even Emi was more subtle. “Of course we are; he just hasn’t figured it out yet,” thought Rin to herself.

“Tetsu? Can’t say.”

“Can’t - or won’t? Never mind - it’s cool; I don’t have my eye on him - we’re just gym buddies. Though, if it doesn’t work out for you I might change my mind.”

Rin shifted uncomfortably; she really disliked this line of discussion. Miki was a very attractive young woman, but Rin had no words to deflect the conversation and couldn’t see pulling a Hanako as being very effective - Miki had caught her out in the open like a hawk catching a hare, and Rin couldn’t run - of all the times to regret not taking Emi up on her offer to jog with her in the mornings.

“Why is she even talking to me?” Thought Rin.

“Anyhow, girl to girl, I wanted to let you know he’s really into you - he talks about you a lot. You should do something about that.”

“He talks to you?” Rin looked at Miki incredulously - this was not something she’d been expecting.

“Well, we work out together - he spots me and you can’t sign to someone with your hands full - so he’s learned to trust me.”

You?

“Is that so surprising? You can’t not trust someone when they’re spotting a hundred pounds plus of iron over your face - it kinda forces the issue.” Miki thought - “And thanks for the dig, Tezuka .. keep it cool, I’m doing this for Tetsu, not her; I can’t help his taste in women.”

“Yeah - this thing he’s got - selective mutism - he should be telling you this, but whatever. He’s really poor at spoken Japanese - or he thinks he is; his Japanese really is pretty ok - I’ve heard worse from people born here. So he freezes up and can’t talk to people and has to sign unless he comes to trust the other person - if ever; it’s like social anxiety to the nth degree, but he can talk.”

“All this time - he could have been talking to me?”

“Sure - and all this time Ikezawa could have been doing stand-up comedy - she can talk too, right?”

Rin knew Ikezawa - Hanako - of course, everybody did, but didn’t know her - almost nobody but Lilly did. Hanako’s social phobia was legendary - ironically, her spectacularly dysfunctional behaviour had made her one of the the most recognizable 3rd-years at Yamaku.

“Tetsu’s like Hanako? But he’s huge, and strong, and .. handsome - what does he have to be afraid of?” Thought Rin.

Miki, seemingly following Rin’s thoughts - “Don’t judge a book by the cover; he’s a stranger in a strange land and feeling not a little lost, and .. he has his own history - and it’s pretty grim, but that much is his story to tell. Trusting people doesn’t come easily to him - it’s hard to trust when you’re constantly terrified of fucking up.”

Rin’s brow briefly furrowed - she wasn’t much given to open vulgarity, although she did think it often enough, but whatever.

“Tetsu and I lift weights before class - he’s too shy to lift when anyone else is around, although he’s easily stronger than anyone in the track club. You and he could use a bit more in common - why don’t you come by the weights room after class and lift with me?”

Rin looked non-committal “‘Do not play - do not give the game away.’” she thought to herself.

“If I did, how would I even?” thought Rin, as was plain on her face.

“Oh, don’t give me that look - “ Miki held up her stump; “You don’t need hands to lift; look at me.”

Despite having absolutely zero interest in lifting weights - and doubting that it was even possible - Rin was curious.

“How?”

“You’ve got arm prosthesis? Those useless cosmetic things?”

Rin nodded - they were useless - they just hung there and looked ugly when she wore them, which was basically never, and they fooled no one. Last she checked they were on the floor in a corner of her closet under her dirty laundry.

“There’s gym prostheses for people who don’t have hands - they don’t try to look pretty, but they work and they’re adjustable so you don’t need to have them specially fitted. They also chafe, which is why I keep my stump bandaged up. We can tape the ends of your arms, fit you up and get to work on some light exercises. I’ve seen you eat lunch - you’re plenty flexible, but you have no upper-body strength; I can work up an exercise program for you to get you some. With your flexibility you could be a pretty impressive para-gymnast, but small steps, right?”

“You’d do that?” Rin was taken a bit off-balance by Miki’s offer; Emi had made the same offer to Hisao - to work up an exercise program for him - but then Emi had her own motives.

“Totally - I want to get into coaching; I have crap marks, but solid connections through sport; those and my medals on the track count for more than book learning in that profession. Helping you would give me practice - and add a lot to my resume.”

That Rin could understand - there was a reasonable chance Miki wasn’t in this solely to pity - or more awkwardly, hit on her. Still - lifting weights? But why bother? Rin had her own morning yoga and lower body strength routine - with no arms below the elbow, what use was upper-body strength?

Right then Rin heard a little chime on her head, like a small bell ringing insistently - she looked at her memory desk and found one of the drawers was calling to her. In her mind’s eye she opened it, and in it was a note to herself like a little golden fortune cookie; a reminder - saved because of something forgotten that happened long, long ago - sitting there, vibrating and ringing like a bell. She opened the cookie and read the fortune inside:

“You know what you want, and you like the idea of it, but you still need to do the heavy lifting to get it done.”

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

“Yo - Rin; you still there?” Asked Miki as Rin appeared to have spaced out staring at the sky. Miki snapped her fingers.

“OK.”

“OK what?”

“I’ll do it.”

“Oh - Ok then! I’m going into town on the weekend, come with me and we’ll get you some gym gear.” Rin nodded. “The first lesson in the gym is don't ever wear the same clothes twice without washing them.”

“And the second lesson - don’t space out like that while lifting; you have to focus or people could get hurt - understand?”

Rin nodded - she could focus; she just had to choose to.

“Anyhow, I’ll let you get on with things - see you tomorrow!” And with that Miki was off at a run.

Rin wondered - is enlisting people in physical activity a sports-person thing and not just an Emi thing? Emi had tried to get Rin into running, which interested Rin not at all and neither did lifting weights - except it would give her and Tetsu one more thing in common; that she was interested in.

Rin stood, staring at the sky .. “And about Miki `changing her mind`,” she thought - “I’ve been lazy. Obviously other people have noticed Tetsu and I together - and that he’s still single; that’s no one’s fault but my own - now to do something about it.”

--
Attachments
A Box of Alarms from Rin's Memory Desk.jpg
A Box of Alarms from Rin's Memory Desk.jpg (245.88 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"So much to do, so little time."

Asoko Desu's one-shots and short pieces - and assorted tie-ins.
Two Body Problem - "Adventures in the 'Emiverse'"; Emi’s path from Rin’s perspective ..
The Years That the Locusts Have Eaten - Post-Rin’s good ending - a journey through the 'Rinverse'

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Shopping Trip
August 12 - Sunday afternoon

Miki and Rin took a bus into the city - not much by way of gym equipment stores in the little town near Yamaku.

It was a strange, silent trip. Miki spent most of the ride texting on her phone, and Rin spent her time looking out the window into space.

“Ok - this is our stop,” announced Miki.

“So, Rin - do you do any exercises at all, I mean up to now? Like, you’re pretty coordinated - I’ve seen you paint, but what about strength training?”

Rin sighed internally and replied laconically - “Some. I spend about an hour every morning doing yoga and pistol-squats until I have a hard time standing”

“How many -”

“Three sets of ten reps -” Rin interrupted “- a side.”

“Um .. Not sure I could do that many. You ever kick anything?”

“Emi, once - she hugged me by surprise and I hurt her. I felt really bad about it but she said it was ok and that I shouldn’t worry - it was her fault, which I don’t believe, but I’m more careful now; I really don’t want to hurt anyone, but it could happen - I don’t know.”

Miki wasn’t so impressed by the number of squats Rin could do, but more at the dedication it took to get to that point - Rin obviously had the skill of sustained focus.

“Here we are,” announced Miki, as they arrived at a somewhat garish gym equipment store, insides of the windows plastered with posters of brand-sponsored athletes.

“Quality is good here, and prices are reasonable. It’s better to spend a bit more for the best quality - gym clothes are like a second skin and you don’t want them distracting you.”

The young-ish shopkeeper at the till noticed Miki and waved - “Hey Miura - welcome! Saw you a the inter-school competition; looking good!”

“Thanks Joon - here to get some gym duds for my friend Tezuka,” and Miki indicated Rin, who’d hung back was was wandering through the racks. Rin - who would have happily gone without clothes if she’d been allowed - merely nodded without looking over.

“You know the store better than I do, Miki - get what you need, try it on, and I’ll take your money,” said the shopkeeper with a grin.

Miki headed to the gymnastics section and picked out a black short-sleeved body suit for Rin; opaque to mid-sternum, topped with a sheer black mesh that went to her neck and down her arms.

“On sale - score! Looks like it’s straight out of the 80’s - probably why it’s on sale. A little weird for the weight gym, but not like anyone’s going to see you - right?”

Rin wandered over, wearing a red and white-striped knit cap with a pom-pom - she just shrugged - “Sure, whatever,” she thought. “As long as it gets the job done.”

“Planning on doing some snowboarding? That hat will keep you warm - might be a bit much for August though.” Rin showed no interest in taking the hat off; Miki snapped a few pictures with her phone, thinking Tetsu might appreciate them.

“OK - the change rooms are over there,” and Miki held the clothes out to Rin to try on.

“Help.”

“What?”

“Help - I’ll need your help getting into and out of these. I may, eventually, be able to put them on by myself given they’re stretchy, but they look delicate - once I’m in them I’ll never be able to get out of them without gaffing them on a wall hook.”

Miki looked contemplative; she hadn’t actually thought this far ahead - “Well, I told her I was in it for the experience, which is true even if it’s not my first reason - first lesson learned I guess.”

“Well, you’re not going to be doing gymnastics, strictly - yet - what clothes can you navigate?”

“My school gym uniform, pretty much. A t-shirt and shorts I can get into on my own - I’m pretty sure; I’ve never put them on before I don’t think.”

“So .. we didn’t need to come all this way if there’s nothing here that you can wear ..”

“The hat.”

“The hat ..”

Rin nodded, almost displacing the cap - she reached up with her foot and re-adjusted it so it sat more securely.

“Hey Joon - we’ll, ah, take the knit cap, I guess ..”

The ride back was just as quiet as the ride out - except Rin seemed very happy with her new hat, leaving it on and using it as something of a pillow as she napped, her head leaning against the window of the bus.

--
Attachments
Tetsu check this out - Rin trying on gym clothes.jpg
Tetsu check this out - Rin trying on gym clothes.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Two Body Problem - "Adventures in the 'Emiverse'"; Emi’s path from Rin’s perspective ..
The Years That the Locusts Have Eaten - Post-Rin’s good ending - a journey through the 'Rinverse'

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Dinner Conversation for One
August 17 - Friday

“I know what I want, but I’m afraid to do the heavy lifting. Fine. I’ll show some heavy lifting.” Rin fumed to herself as she walked over to the men’s dorm.

“314” Rin thought. “How hard is that to remember? Easy as pie. Did he want a written invitation to take me out on another date?”

Rin stomped up to the third floor - the third years’ floor - which one would be Tetsu’s room?

She walked by the first few - they seemed to be unoccupied - past another with an impressive number of locks on the door - “Could be Tetsu’s - mechanical things are his bag, more or less. Across the hall was Hisao’s room - Rin knew this because Emi had mentioned the room number.

Fortunately the next door was open - Tetsu was leaning back in his chair, headphones on, and typing madly on his computer. Rin stood behind him and leaned over, looking down at him.

“Ah!” Tetsu exclaimed, and sat straight up, almost clipping Rin’s chin with his head as he did so.

“Miura was right - Tetsu can speak - it’s just that he can’t,” Rin observed.

“Come have dinner - cafeteria is closing soon.”

{ Is it? I guess it is } he wrote.

Rin nodded.

{ OK - let me finish this .. }

Rin waiting patiently for Tetsu to dump state. That done, Tetsu grabbed his writing pad, some pencils, and they were off. Arriving at the cafeteria just in time to get the last of dinner, they grabbed a seat - with almost no one there left eating, the cafeteria felt cavernous.

Being later in the evening, neither spared any time getting into their dinners. Rin drank her ramen from the bowl by tipping it towards her, and dabbed her chin on a paper napkin - Tetsu turned his dinner into a graveyard of chicken bones denuded of skin and meat.

Tetsu gestured with a chicken wing - Rin understood that he was offering it to her, but she had more than enough with her ramen and shook her head. Getting down to the noodles, she extracted them with a fork and consumed them - very daintily Tetsu thought. “You’d have to be careful otherwise you’d get food everywhere eating with your feet like that.”

Tetsu finished first and gestured that he was going to go clean the wing sauce off of his face and hands.

“He manages to communicate pretty well with his hands - even though he’s not signing exactly. I wonder how hard it would be to ..” and interrupting that thought, Tetsu returned.

Tetsu took away Rin’s empty bowl and tray and they chatted for a bit about school, art, and building art portfolios. More accurately, Rin talked and Tetsu nodded, pushing across written notes every so often.

“I wish he didn’t have to write everything out - it’s slow,” thought Rin to herself.

“Wahaha! Hey guys!” It didn’t matter that Misha was on the other side of the cafeteria, her voice carried well enough to cause both Rin and Tetsu to snap to attention in their seats.

Misha came over, and as she got into signing range, Tetsu chided her - [ Misha - hush! Shizune will hear you! ] he signed. Fortunately for Rin, Misha was so accustomed to interpreting and shared what Tetsu had said.

“Nah-uh - it’s my night off! Shizune’s doing homework. Whatcha guys talking about?”

Misha was good enough to interpret for Tetsu - [ School and art stuff mostly - Rin’s building a decent portfolio for University and I’ve got a bunch of robotics code that I’m working on; Kurosawa-sensei shared some old programmable controllers with me and I’ve been experimenting with them - I was doing coding when Rin showed up and dragged me to dinner ] with this, Tetsu looked at Rin and smiled a teasing smile.

“Is this what I’m missing? Tetsu’s entire side of the conversation?” Thought Rin to herself. “Misha can communicate with him at a level I can’t begin to approach - good thing she’s gay or I’d be shit out of luck. I need to move this up a notch - somehow,” thought Rin, having seen how fluidly Tetsu and Misha interacted.

The cleaning staff, accustomed to students working in the cafeteria, had left the lights on as late as they could, but now - the cleaning done - had started turning them off.

“Time to go guys - wahaha!”

[ Night Misha - see you around! ] Signed Tetsu - Rin found it slightly `head-spinny` to hear Tetsu’s words in Misha’s voice - to compound the weirdness, Tetsu turned to Rin and signed [ Walk you back to your dorm? ] which Misha dutifully interpreted.

“Wahaha - that’s my cue I guess; have a good night you two!” And with that she bustled off.

Rin nodded to Tetsu and he walked her back to the women’s dorm - he wrote `goodnight` on his pad of paper, which, Rin felt, sort of broke the mood - like having to change brushes in the middle of a composition.

At a loss whether to invite him up or not, Rin and Tetsu just bowed to each other - Rin giggled at the sheer awkwardness of it all, and not knowing what else to do, she turned her back on Tetsu and went upstairs.

Waking up the next morning, last night was still on her mind.

“The whole writing notes on a pad of paper is wonderfully archival, but also dull - it’s like watching paint dry,” thought Rin - “Tetsu has a lot to say and I need to be able to communicate with him if we’re ever going to have a real conversation. What we do now is that I just talk to him and he passes me notes back - not satisfactory. What to do about that ..” she thought as she ambled off in the direction of the library.

--
Attachments
Yamaku Library Windows and Beanbags.jpg
Yamaku Library Windows and Beanbags.jpg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 15 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Book Learning
August 20 - Monday Evening

Summer vacation was almost up, and it seemed like Rin, Emi, and Hisao hadn’t done much of anything other than visit Emi’s mom, which was great - the food was always good, but it was what they always did and Emi was feeling a little stir-crazy. Looking for some inspiration, she stopped by Rin’s room after dinner to shoot the breeze -

“Rin - you’re reading a book!” said Emi, astonished to find Rin seated on the floor, her back to her bed, and a book between her feet.

“Yes, I can read,” Rin replied flatly.

“.. but a book?” Emi seemed astounded.

“Books have words, and I can read, so I read them - I also look at the pictures.”

Emi wondered - was Rin taking the piss?

Rin brought her big toe to her mouth, licked it, and then turned the page with it.

“And when did you get those crazy glasses?” Emi marveled at the lightweight kabuki glasses Rin was wearing.

Rin looked up at her - “I just do eyes - just eyes. Genetic design ..” Emi decided Rin was being weird again - it sounded like she was quoting something vaguely familiar. Seeing no recognition in Emi's face, Rin continued -

“I got them when I learned to read - I hold books at arm’s length - not really, but you know what I mean - these glasses help.”

Emi thought to herself - “Funny how I never thought of Rin as a reader - which is silly; of course she can read, she’s about to graduate high school.”

Emi looked at the cover of the book - “Introduction to Japanese Sign Language”

“Rin, you have got to be kidding me. That’s like a tree reading a book on furniture making.”

“Isn’t that supposed to be one of my lines?”

Emi gave her head a shake - “Rin - you have no hands ..”

“Are you sure? I think I’m pretty handy.” Rin squeezed her eyes shut tight as if she was trying to wake from a bad dream.

“Let’s start over - Rin, you’re reading a book on Japanese sign language.”

“Yes.”

“And sign language requires hands ..”

“Yes and no.”

“Ok - how does sign language not need hands?”

“When it needs eyes.”

With that, the metaphorical light bulb went on for Emi “Oh - you want to understand sign language when you see it!”

“Yes.”

“Tetsu.”

“Yes.”

“You want to know what he’s saying.”

“Do I win a prize if I say yes again - like a epistemological game of tic-tac-toe?” Rin looked up at Emi and smiled a dopey smile.

“Rin .. that’s very .. sweet. And impressive - but mostly sweet.”

“God I hate when Emi makes me love her,” thought Rin. “It makes it so hard to think crabby thoughts - I can’t fault her for not being able to read my mind - any more than I can really explain how I feel.” To Emi, Rin appeared to have spaced out while wool-gathering between her ears.

Snapping out of it suddenly - “Thank you, Emi.” Said Rin. “Gotta cut this short - getting awkward ..” Rin thought.

Rin turned back to her book - she studied the pictograms and their meanings, closed her eyes, then opened them and looked at the page again. When she was satisfied she’d memorized the page’s signs, she’d turn the page again and repeat the process. In her mind she created drawers with a picture of a sign on it, and put a little model of what the sign represented in the drawer. Here a paint chip in the colour red - there her parent’s house; in another drawer, dinner, and so on. As she closed her eyes, she’d imagine what was in each drawer, then open them in turn to see if she’d gotten it right - which she did more often than not. The ones she got wrong she put a little red flag on to remind herself to go back and check on later.

--
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Sun May 14, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 12 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Picnic in the Park
August 21 - Tuesday

Come the penultimate week of August, the summer was still able to maintain the illusion of the height of its strength, but there were signals of autumn’s approach as summer break approached its end.

Tetsu wandered around the grounds of Yamaku with nothing in particular on his mind. He stepped through a disused chain-link gate and into the rough of the back campus - a path led from the gate but quickly faded as whatever footfalls had created it went their separate ways.

The heather of the back campus ran up against the fence of the woods - Tetsu found a spot under a tree, facing the sun and sat down. Pulling a tall stalk of ripe grass free of its roots he put it between his teeth - his heart quickened for some reason he couldn’t quite put a name to and he was touched with a vision of home and, for a moment, wished he was there in this, the high season of summer to capture it somehow.

A bird circled high above him - “Not for me; probably looking for something small and furtive in the grass,” he decided, pulling down his hat over his eyes he got up and returned to the dorms - there he found Rin kicking at his door.

Tetsu waved, thinking to himself - “She’s been getting some sun - looking nicely tanned; sets off the green of her eyes - how fawn-like they are ..” Tetsu’s thoughts drifted away from him until Rin brought him back to reality.

“Tetsu. It’s a nice day - I’m going to have a picnic at the park in town.” The day was passing slowly and it was only early afternoon - who knows how long Rin had been kicking at his door? Tetsu mentally shrugged; opening his door, he picked up a piece of paper and wrote -

{ That sounds nice? With whom? }

“You - I need someone to carry the basket. Also to buy the food.”

“Who says chivalry is dead?” Tetsu thought to himself.

{ Anything else I can do for you - bury a body maybe? }

“Not today.”

Tetsu and Rin walked down the hill to town together - Rin hummed parts of a tune and Tetsu strained to recall where he’d heard it.

Stopping off at the corner store, Tetsu picked up a few supplies for himself - he picked out a pre-packaged noodle dish with meat and vegetables; Rin picked out some packaged bread with what looked like curry seasoning and a small box of strawberry milk. Tetsu added a couple of bottles of water and a can of unsweetened green tea for the both of them. Tetsu paid, and while he was paying the cashier microwaved his noodles - that done, they headed out to the park.

The day was nice - a dry late summer breeze stirred the trees; it hadn’t rained for days and the grass was turning a little brown. As they ate their lunch, Tetsu kicked off his shoes and socks - he ran his toes through the grass and picked up a stick between his big toe and the next and scratched absently with it in the dirt, looking like he was trying to practice his kana.

Rin, stared - “Why are you doing that - you don’t need to .. ” and Rin paused; unsure what was going on - was Tetsu making fun of her? Was he trying to talk to her?

Tetsu fished his writing pad out - { Don’t need to because I have hands? I can’t always use them - if my back goes out I can’t bend over to pick things up so I use my feet. I’m not very good at it, so I practice. }

“Your back?”

{ The reason I’m here - I have a bad back and it can go out if I bend or twist it wrong; takes a long time to recover - it's very painful } wrote Tetsu, grimacing.

Rin nodded - everyone at Yamaku had their own burdens to carry.

“The writing - let me show you how I do it.”

Tetsu handed over the stick to Rin. Taking it from him, her toes touched his - the shock of the gentle contact was electric, surprising Tetsu so much he fumbled the maneuver and the stick slipped from the grasp of his toes - Rin had it firmly however and smiled as there was something endearing about his failed dexterity roll.

Rin braced the heel of her foot holding the stick against the toes of her opposing foot and sketched Tetsu’s name in the dirt - careful, precise movements; nothing like Tetsu’s crude, inexpert scratches.

{ That’s beautiful }

“Tetsu?”

Tetsu nodded.

“You’re ..” Rin paused, looking for a word.

{ Weird? } wrote Tetsu.

“Charming.”

Failing miserably at stopping it, a blush spread across Tetsu’s cheeks.

“Tell me about your impressions of Yamaku” Rin said, words slightly stilted - helpful though Emi had been, it was always going to be hard for Rin to say words that were not strictly her own. She quietly hoped this was a good time for these particular words. Emi had called this a ‘strategic change of topic’.

{ It’s good - the teachers are excellent and I think I might have made a few friends - maybe } He shared what he’d wrote with Rin, smiling slightly and looking rather bashful.

“.. maybe,” Echoed Rin.

Rin sat cross-legged in the grass in front of Tetsu, and fixed him with her startlingly green eyes.

“You do have friends. Emi and Hisao probably because they’re friendly people, but I can’t speak for them - just me, and I am.”

{ Friendly? }

“No.”

{ You’re not friendly? } Tetsu was confused - that wasn’t the response he was expecting.

“Not really - people have told me that.”

{ You’ve been friendly to me. }

An awkward pause inserted itself into the conversation; maybe this wasn’t a good time to change the topic Rin thought, emotions threatening to swamp her thoughts and chase her words away in a chaotic inner cacophony. Rin looked at her toes and wiggled them - this was one of those “Words are hard” moments where what she said wasn’t what she had wanted to say.

‘What would Emi do? ‘She’d charge forward, fearlessly’ Rin thought, and decided to be honest - the risk was worth it, as Emi said at some point it would be.

“I am your friend. This is the right time to say those words I think.”

{ Thank you. I think I want to be your friend too. }

“That makes two of us.”

Rin flexed up to a standing position and turned towards Yamaku.

“Time to go back.”

Both Rin and Tetsu wondered silently to themselves if this had been a date.

Walking back, Rin made sure to bump into Tetsu occasionally, almost accidentally, just as Emi had taught her.

Rin paid close attention to whether Tetsu moved away or towards her after each contact. He stayed close to her, if not closer, and Rin judged Emi’s experiment a success.

--
Attachments
A Picnic in the Park by Tetsu.jpg
A Picnic in the Park by Tetsu.jpg (194.07 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 9 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Falling Leaves
October 01 - Monday

On the first day back from break, class was humming along, as it usually did; Kurosawa-sensei and the other boys were working on something on the shop floor.

Tetsu was hand-cutting a tricky piece of leather in the classroom when he heard an ululating scream and a series of soft `thuds` behind him. Turning, he saw that Mika and Kika were standing, but pinned underneath several heavy bolts of cloth that had fallen from an upper shelf; the shelf appeared to have failed at a corner and they were straining, arms held as high as they could reach - to hold the shelf in place.

Without thinking, Tetsu yelled “Hey!” and ran over to help prop up the shelf, which, truth be told, wasn’t too heavy for him. Holding the shelf up with one hand, he knocked the fallen bolts away with his other and then shooed the girls off - they ran to the far side of the class and watched in horror.

The other boys and Kurosawa-sensei had heard Tetsu’s shout and had came running into the class -

“Tetsu - can you hang on a minute?” Asked Kurosawa-sensei, worry evident in his voice - Tetsu nodded, and Kurosawa-sensei motioned to the two boys to help him get a rolling ladder, which they backed up to the shelf.

“If you can, lift the shelf up a few inches ..” Tetsu did so, and Kurosawa-sensei piloted the topmost ladder step under the shelf, while the boys pulled the fallen bolts out of the way.

“OK - now lower it gently ..” Tetsu did so, jumping out of the way as a couple more bolts were dislodged and landed on the floor with loud soft thumps that belied the weight of the bolts - easily over 35 kg apiece.

“Mika, Kika - are you ok?” Asked sensei - they both nodded in unison. In the background, the boys were busy tidying up the fallen bolts and securing the ones still on the damaged shelf.

Once secured, Kurosawa-sensei inspected the fittings for the upper shelf - the shelves were adjustable, and one of the pins had evidently been knocked free when the girls had awkwardly tried to retrieve one.

“Mika, Kika - were you trying to retrieve one of the bolts of cloth yourselves?” Asked Kurosawa-sensei.

Mutely, they nodded - eyes on the floor.

“Part of shop safety is having a spotter when doing something dangerous, and also not trying to move things that are too heavy for you. I or any of the boys would have been willing to help you retrieve the cloth you needed if you’d only asked. We all would have preferred that to having the two of you take a trip to the Nurse - or worse.”

“Mika was spotting me,” said Kika in a small voice.

“Kika was spotting me,” said Mika in a small voice.

“A spotter,” corrected sensei gently, “is three things: someone who is not involved in the activity, someone who is paying attention, and someone who has the expertise to know by looking whether a dangerous situation is evolving. If both of you were trying to retrieve cloth, then neither of you was a spotter.”

The girls continued to look at the floor in embarrassment.

Sensei’s point made, he had one more thing to say - “I think Tetsu would appreciate it if you thanked him - if he hadn’t helped, you could have been hurt and we wouldn’t have heard a thing in the other room.”

Mika and Kika silently bowed deeply to Tetsu - their gratitude evident, however that wasn’t quite what sensei had in mind.

“I think it would be respectful if you were to say thank you to Tetsu - I don’t believe you’ve said a word to him all semester.”

The girls, who rarely spoke to anyone at all, looked at each other in dismay and then turned to Kurosawa-sensei, tripping over each other, saying the same words at the same time - finally Mika, who took the lead more than half of the time between the two of them, asserted herself and spoke up.

“Sensei - Tetsu signs - how can he hear us?”

“I think you’ll find Tetsu can hear you perfectly well - and always has, even if he cannot speak - yet.. he listens to lessons in class and does his work well. You would know this if you had tried to talk to him.”

Looking dubiously at each other, Mika and Kika turned to Tetsu bowed again, and in unison said “Thank you.”

Tetsu, of course, unable to reply, simply smiled and bowed in return.

--
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

You’re Hired
September 10 - Monday

A prolonged thumping was heard at the Student Council Office door.

Shizune wouldn’t have answered the door even if she could have heard it, as she was playing solitaire - and when she played, she played to win.

This left Misha - who was practicing twirling her pen on her thumb, to not very much effect - to get the door.

“Food’s here early!” Misha said / signed, sending her pen flying. Misha opened the door -

“Rin! You’re not food!” Misha sounded disappointed. Rin took half a step back, alarmed at the prospect there might have ever been such a question.

“Distract, distract - nice doggy!” Thought Rin.

“Misha I want you to teach me sign language,” the “And not eat me” part was left unsaid, although Rin did keep a certain distance between herself and Misha.

“You want to know how to sign?”

“No, couldn’t even if I tried. I just want to understand sign.” -

“I will give you one of my paintings if you teach me - a painting of a parfait, or of you, although they’re sometimes hard to tell apart - parfaits become part of you, for a little while at least.”

“Thank you Rin - no need to elaborate further - WAHAHA!”

Rin stepped back another half-step, buffeted by the force of Misha’s laughter, but she persevered - “I read a book of signs, but it just confuses me - the signs are just words, not connected - like how beads without a string aren’t a necklace.”

“That’s because you just read a dictionary and a dictionary is a book that teaches you words, not a language, and sign language is just that - its own language; not just English or Japanese spoken with the hands. If you want to understand what a person is saying in sign, you have to re-assemble it in your head into your audience’s language and preserve the meaning - that’s what a sign language interpreter does.”

“Is it hard?”

“Not too hard - it’s work, that’s why it’s a career, but not impossible. Let me show you. If I said “What you choose lunch question” what do you think I’d be asking you?

“What do I want for lunch?”

“Exactly - it’s easy - Wahahaha!”

At that moment Shizune looked up from her game and shot Rin an appraising glare - she signed to Misha and Misha interpreted for Rin:

“Shizune wants to know if you’re here to help out as you’ve obviously not brought food, but she doubts you can help as filing paperwork probably isn’t your strong suit.”

Rin thought the exchange was pretty brief to capture all those words. “Did she say all that?”

“Yes - not those words though!”

“What words?”

“`Rin bring food - no - wants help work question paper carry problem body.` She probably would have said arms instead of body if you weren’t here, but to be so obvious in front of you might be rude, so she didn’t.”

“I’m here to learn how to read sign, not work - it’s work, but not student council work.”

“OK” and Misha signed to Shizune, saying the signs directly without interpreting them:

“Rin want learn sign language - not work student council”

At this, Shizune raised an eyebrow and turned away, but signed nothing further.

“I should get back to work - I do get a couple nights a week ‘off’ when Shizune studies - I’m supposed to study too, but this sounds like more fun - Wahahaha~!”

--
Attachments
Misha - Selfie.jpg
Misha - Selfie.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Shark Tank
September 12 - Thursday

Shizune watched Tetsu through the crowd - class had let out and the hallway was filled with students on their way to clubs, homework, or simply goofing off.

“Wow - he’s really trimmed down; running every day has been good for him! Still looks like an ogre, but he’s a fit ogre now,” she thought to herself.

Shizune waved to Tetsu and got his attention; she signed across the crowd - [ Hey - let’s talk ]

[ OK - I have some time - where? Here? ]

[ This classroom - less crush of people there ]

[ OK ]

Shizune stepped into the empty classroom, holding the door for Tetsu and closing it behind him.

[ How’s school going? ]

[ Nothing that the Student Council could help with ] and Tetsu smiled.

[ I don’t mean like that - I mean what courses do you like, what are you good at? I don’t really know you well ]

[ English is easy - obviously, as are all the practical courses - auto, metal work, electronics, and sewing. I’m really bad at Japanese language, literature, and history, but good at Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics - that’s the important ones ]

[ My cousin speaks English ]

[ Cousin? ]

[ Satou ]

[ I didn’t know she was your cousin ]

[ Always do your research on people! ]

[ Well, I could, but accessing student records without permission would probably get me expelled ] and he mimed laughing [ How about you? ]

[ I excel at Japanese language, literature, and history - at least those things I can thank my father for - Accounting and Business Law are good - English is ok - Science is good - I’m lucky to usually work with Hisao; he’s pretty gifted in Physics - hey - we could study together - you help me with English and I’ll help you with Japanese ]

Tetsu had noticed that Shizune had gotten a lot closer to him while talking. He hadn’t noticed it happening but it seemed suddenly they were in the corner of the room. “Must be poor air circulation in this room - it’s much warmer here than over by the door,” he thought.

[ You’re looking good - that running you’ve been doing has worked off your baby fat ] Shizune observed.

[ Thanks .. ]

[ I hear you work out in the weights room with Miura in the mornings as well ]

[ You hear a lot of things - Yeah, she’s a good partner ]

[ You two have anything going .. ? ]

[ ‘Anything’ like ‘dating’? ] He made air-quotes after the words with his fingers.

[ Yeah - like that ]

[ No - she’s more like a gym buddy to me - Don’t think she sees me any other way ]

[ That’s too bad - ] Shizune looked sideways at Tetsu, a competitive glint in her eye. She paused a heartbeat and continued - [ I think she’s missing out ]

Tetsu was far more able to speak in sign than Japanese, but some situations still stopped him cold - like this one; he could only nod in response.

[ Come closer ] Shizune instructed, and Tetsu tentatively closed the short gap between them.

[ What? ]

[ Close your eyes ]

[ I don’t want to do that ]

[ You don’t know how to have fun ]

[ I do .. but I need to trust people a lot before I can have certain kinds of fun with them - like now ]

Shizune pouted - she hadn’t anticipated being rebuffed.

[ You can trust me - Just close your eyes ]

[ That’s what someone I shouldn’t trust would say ]

Shizune did a passable coquettish look, although it really wasn’t her thing. She untied her school tie and undid the top button of her blouse, all while staring Tetsu in the eyes, challenging him, much like a cat would.

[ I think I can make you trust me ]

[ Another competition? ]

[ Sure - one where we both win ] Without breaking her gaze, she undid the top 3 buttons of her blouse, one after the other, revealing a stunning black lace bra.

[ I don’t like deaf boys - they sound stupid when they talk ]

[ How would you know? ]

[ I’ve heard ] she signed, and laughed silently.

“Quite the trick that” thought Tetsu.

[ I don’t sound like anything at all - to most people ] he replied.

[ So I understand - strong and silent - I like that ] she signed with emphasis, and caressed her bra’s centre clasp in small circles - Shizune looked at Tetsu intently - she was enjoying testing his resolve.

“Speaking of accessing student files - wonder how she found out about my medical details,” thought Tetsu.

[ Do you trust me now? ] she signed, never breaking eye contact with him, then returning her fingers to her bra’s shining clasp.

[ Honestly? ] he paused [ No - I’m sorry - I need to know you better.. before.. ] and he nodded to her chest. [ Not that I don’t want to, but this feels - forced - maybe spend some time together - doing something else first? ]

Shizune huffed and buttoned up her blouse. She held a mixed expression on her face - frustration that Tetsu had held his ground, but also admiration that he hadn’t been so easily - and quickly - defeated.

“It’s awesome being me,” she thought. “Whether I get to feel him up now or later, I still win. He’s huge - and strong; he’s really put on muscle since he arrived. I can only imagine what dominating someone like him would be like.”

Shizune bit her lower lip and signed - [ I’m going to visit my parent’s in a month - you should come for the weekend - it would be a good chance to get to know each other better - my dad’s always mostly away at work - we could study together .. or whatever ]

[ Let’s talk before then ]

Shizune gave Tetsu a quick nod [ I’ve got work to do - chat later ] and with that quick dismissal, Tetsu left Shizune to head over to the Student Council room and get her work done.

“A weekend with a girl who understands sign .. hadn’t ever thought that might happen. Shizune’s fucking aggressive though - hot, but crazy. Could be fun; could be hell - could be both. Anyhow, don’t have to decide right now - never make a decision when you’re hungry,” he thought, heading in the opposite direction towards the cafeteria.

--
Attachments
Shizune in a Moment.jpg
Shizune in a Moment.jpg (172.28 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Sun May 14, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Stairwell
September 13 — Friday evening

The day started normally, as all catastrophic days do. It even went well — until it didn’t.

Yamaku had - and very probably still does - very strict rules about dangerous activities such as running in the halls, bullying, and harassment of all kinds. Which isn’t to say these things don’t happen - but even people with life-threatening ailments can act without thinking.

So it was in the stairwell down from the 3rd-year classes’ floor. Shortly after class Tetsu had just picked up a study handout from Mutou-sensei and was coming down to get something for dinner, passing three of the deaf students coming upstairs - an utterly unremarkable occurrence, except they appeared to be second-years, which, while unusual, wasn’t unprecedented - it wasn’t like the roof was the sole domain of the third years.

Two of the students passed Tetsu by, while another bent over to tie his shoe lace - unseen by Tetsu, the two who passed stopped and turned back behind him, while the one tying his laces quickly shifted sideways to get in Tetsu’s way.

“WTF kid - could you not?” Tetsu stopped to let the kid tie his lace - something about this felt `off`, but Tetsu was at a loss for why, so instead of stepping around the kid, Tetsu just stopped with his hand on the bannister.

It was at that moment he felt something brush his back; turning around to see if it was someone checking what was under his kilt - again - he felt two pairs of hands inexpertly push into him. In all probability they’d intended to push against his back, but being a quarter turned they brushed off his back and only really pushed against his shoulder with any force. Of course, having stopped moving, they didn’t have his momentum working for them and had his inertia working against them.

Still, it was enough to knock Tetsu off-balance - to the regret of the boy who’d set him up by ostensibly tying his laces Tetsu stumbled, stepping on the boy’s hand, and collapsed - landing directly on top of the boy and not falling over him as intended.

And that’s all Tetsu remembered — his back twisted, made a `pop`, and Tetsu was seized buy a stabbing pain in his lower back that blotted out all other sensations or awareness. All he knew was that we was falling, and then stopped falling, and the pain did not stop.

Seemingly at a great distance, Tetsu could hear the emergency medical alarm sounding - somewhere in the Nurse’s office a light on the floor plan of Yamaku lit up.

--
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Tetsu
September 13 - Friday evening

Tetsu lay on his back, stairs pressing into him, trying not to move. The incandescent pain was slowly subsiding, but the slightest abrupt movement would set it off again.

“Let’s do this .. no pain if I don’t move .. what can I move .. my arm? Slowly, slowly ..” Tetsu reached for his jacket pocket .. pain .. adjust approach .. no pain .. hope, hope they’re still there ..

At the end of a string tied to a button hole was a small air and water-tight plastic box. Tied, since, in event of need, Tetsu fully expected to be prone, upside down, or any angle in between. He thumbed the box open and let the pills fall into his hand - absent any water, he worked up a spit while slowly getting his hand to his mouth.

Tetsu popped two of the pure white pills into his mouth - he chewed one, and awkwardly, uncomfortably swallowed the other around the mouth-drying bitterness of the first. At this point he could hear the sound of feet on the stairs, but didn’t see anyone, lying upside down on the staircase as he was.

“Can you feel anything?” the familiar voice of the Nurse asked.

Tetsu replied through gritted teeth — “Yes.” The adrenaline released by the blinding pain pushed aside all shyness and released his voice to speak — “Too much.”

“Can you wiggle your toes?” Tetsu could, and responded as such.

In the distance an elevator bell dinged and the sound of a gurney could be heard on the floor. At some point - Tetsu couldn’t be certain - the emergency alarm had been silenced.

“Everyone please return to class, the medical team needs room - thank you!” Tetsu heard an unfamiliar teacher call out.

“Ok, we’re going to turn you gently - we need to get you strapped to a back board.” Tetsu could feel multiple hands putting pressure on him, lifting him, careful not to twist his back further.

Tetsu felt himself firmly, professionally, being strapped into a back board - the blinding pain flickered once, and then he was on the board. Briefly he saw a boy with a bloody face being helped onto a stretcher.

As the gurney started to move, the pain killer and muscle relaxant began to kick in with a decided soporific effect - “Ha ha - back candy!” he thought to himself. Tetsu could feel himself drifting off, his back frantically trying to spasm but the pain held at a distance by the pills.

--
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Nurse

“Sorry Emi - that’s my cue.”

A muted siren ran through the Nurse’s office and a light flashed on a floor-plan of Yamaku - second floor, centre stairs. A louder siren was audible in the hallway through the office door.

“Someone pulled the emergency alarm?”

“Yep - sorry I can’t chat - gotta run.” And the Nurse dashed out of his office to meet with the rest of the medical response team in the hallway — “Second floor stairwell, Main building - let’s go!”

Nurse and his team took off at a brisk jog over to the Main Building; an on-site team would already be there assessing the situation and responding — Nurse and his team would be there in minutes to provide advanced support.

Heaven help the student who pulled the medical alert alarm on a lark; fires and medical alerts were regarded with extreme seriousness as time was of the essence and some mobility-impaired students could not be rushed and some could not exit the building without assistance. Fortunately this did not call for an evacuation - it wasn’t the fire alarm - though still, someone maybe hurt, possibly badly — all hands on deck time to see who it was and what help they needed.

When the Nurse and his team arrived they were met by the Principal whose office was in the Main Building, and the on-site support staff. The site was a mess — one student was bleeding profusely from their face, another on their back - head-down on the stairs, and contorted in pain. Two other students stood back from the mess and were being questioned by the Principal’s assistant.

“Hello Nurse.”

“Hello Principal - looks bad; who called in the alarm?”

“We did, Nurse,” announced Misha with less than her usual enthusiasm - she looked shaken and somewhat grey.

[ We got here just as it happened ] offered Shizune.

“Are you ok, Mikado?” Asked the Principal.

“I - I don’t feel too great,” she managed to get out, trying not to look at the blood on the stairs or the floor.

“What are the paper towels for?”

“To clean up .. clean up the ..” and Misha threw up a little in her throat.

“Come on Misha, we’ll get you to the nursing station so you can lie down for a bit,” the Nurse said and signed, calling over one of his aides.

Misha started to interpret for Shizune as Shizune started signing — “No need, Mikado - thank you. You go with Nurse and lie down for a bit,” instructed the Principal.

Misha let one of the Nurse’s aides lead her away, her senses dulled by shock.

Shizune wrapped up her version of events for the Principal, who signed back —

[ Thank you Hakamichi - please talk to my assistant. Also, I have to instruct you not to discuss this with the other students ]

Shizune nodded her understanding - not like Misha was going to be discussing anything; the Principal didn’t think she’d remember much after the shock wore off.

Students in clubs strained to look out the doors of their classrooms, but were shooed back into class by teachers who showed up on the scene to help keep order.

The situation under control, Nurse silenced the alarm — “Principal, I’m going to going to follow the ambulance to the hospital; I suspect one of the students is going to require dental surgery.

“Fine, good — let me know how things work out and what the students say, if anything.”

--

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Misha

Misha was tagging along after Shizune, coming from the Student Council room — suddenly they came upon a gruesome scene - one boy sitting on the stairs, holding his mouth, blood on his hands, his uniform, the stairs and the floor - and Tetsu; Tetsu lying upside down, stairs digging into his back, trying not to move - his face white with pain, and two other boys standing at the foot of the stairs, signing frantically to the seated boy.

Shizune watched coolly while the boys signing frantically between themselves - Misha paused, consumed by the scene in front of her - then ran to smash the emergency alarm. It took an agonizing second for it to activate; time had slowed down for Misha, as one’s perception of it is wont to do in emergencies, so it felt longer to Misha and she was terrified of having broken it, but the siren finally started to wail.

Misha ran back and forth looking for a mop closet and paper towels to clean up the blood. She felt light-headed and nauseous — “I should sit down; I just need to clean all this up first ..” she thought to herself, clearly not in the right frame of mind to make great decisions - any decisions at all, really.

The boys on the stairs were all still signing frantically amongst themselves - obviously students from the deaf class.

All was a blur - then Nurse was there, as was the Principal. A Nurse’s aide led her away to the cool darkness of the nursing station where she laid down on her side - and promptly threw up in the bucket they put by the cot for her, then darkness. Later, someone - possibly an aide, she couldn't remember - cleaned her up and brought her some water and miso soup.
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

Principal

Although his official title was Headmaster, the administrative head of Yamaku usually went by the title Principal. He couldn’t remove the title ‘Headmaster’ from official documents and office names, but he otherwise felt it was too pretentious. Perhaps it was appropriate for an earlier age when administrators hid behind their office doors, but the Principal saw his job to engage with the staff - and the students - as an equal when possible — and nothing about ‘Headmaster’ said ‘equal’.

“Fortunately, Principal, this happened after class - a few clubs were meeting, but not many students in this wing; our trauma and counseling team shouldn’t be overwhelmed.”

“A mixed blessing, Nurse — few bystanders, but few witnesses too. Sorting this out is going to be a bit of a challenge. What actually happened here?”

“I just got back from the hospital and speaking to the students there — conflicting stories, not surprisingly, and not very clearly articulated - they were both sedated.”

“Of course. Going to take some time and effort to sort it all out.”

“And for that,” added Principal, “we’ll have to hold a Tribunal.”
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

In The Food Court of Public Opinion
Mid-September 2007

Word spread quickly through the student population that a disciplinary tribunal was to to be held. The official word was that this was not to be discussed for reasons of privacy, so of course unofficial words flourished.

Enough students had seen what had happened so it was common knowledge that at least two students were in the hospital — for what and why were up for speculation; speculation fueled, Shizune observed, by the two students who did not go to the hospital. Fortunately, since they were in the deaf class, their most egregious allegations did not spread far, but hints did creep out into the broader student body.

The date for the Tribunal had been set, Shizune suspected, for when the injured students were both released from hospital — approximately two weeks hence; a supposition aided by her interception of official communications.

Tetsu, being the less injured of the two, got out sooner of hospital sooner, now wished he’d been able to remain in the hospital longer. Having been accused by the other three boys, on return to Yamaku Tetsu was placed under administrative probation; his access to other students and the athletic facilities being restricted, and his movement in public spaces supervised and escorted at all times by a proctor — effectively he was under house arrest.

Misha asked aloud, to no one in particular - [ Why would Tetsu do such a thing? ]

[ How much do you remember? ]

[ Nothing, really - I just went blank - I woke up in the nurse’s office, lying on a cot ]

[ Then why do you think he did anything at all? ]

[ The other students are saying he did .. ]

Shizune was pensive — [ Just as well you can’t remember - we’re not supposed to discuss the matter ]

Misha took this directive seriously, but also literally - catching snatches of gossip, she dutifully interpreted them to Shizune. In Misha’s mind, this wasn’t discussing - it was interpreting - and Shizune didn’t chastise her for it.

Cue the rumour mill —

Despite - perhaps because of - the administrative edict to not discuss the situation, the cafeteria buzzed with speculation. Each table had one or more people holding forth on their personal theories —

“Only a matter of time — what a brute!”

“Why is he even here? Is he playing games — he can hear, he just chooses not to speak.”

“I heard he had to leave his last school because of bullying — why does Japan have to take other countries’ rejects?”

“He kicked the other boy in the face — disgraceful!”

“One against three — hardly seems fair ..”

There were some who spoke up for withholding judgement until the tribunal was over, but they were by far in the minority. Tetsu, for his part, was unable to speak on his own behalf, being confined to his dorm room for meals.

To enforce Tetsu’s restrictions on interacting with the student population, a proctor was stationed at the end of Tetsu’s hall to make sure he didn’t sneak out — or anyone else sneak in. Unfortunately this had the effect of enhanced rule enforcement for all visitors to Tetsu’s floor.

“Sorry - you can’t enter; this is the boy’s dorm.”

“Since when has that been a problem before curfew?”

“Sorry - rules.”

“Should I kick him?”

Emi demurred — “Not a great idea to kick a teacher, Rin.”

“But I want to.”

“Now’s not the time.”

Rin looked annoyed, but the teacher wasn’t going to the hospital today if wishing couldn’t make it so.

--
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

+++
Asoko_Desu

Post by Asoko_Desu »

The Tribunal
September 24 - Monday

The Principal spoke with his assistant —

“Have you got the statements from the involved students?”

“Fortunately there are few to interview, Headmaster - the interviews with the directly involved students right after the incident were largely sufficient; the students in clubs in that part of the school didn’t see it happen; just the aftermath.”

“Looks like it’s going to be over quickly — it’s the word of three against one.”

“We’ll see.”

The day of the Tribunal should have been dark and cold - ideally rainy - for the somber tone it demanded. Instead it was one of those beautiful fall days that make you want to go outside and never come in. A day to think about kick leaves, drink hot cider, and plan what you’re going to buy for your loved ones for Christmas.

The Tribunal room had been booked for the week, although it was expected that it would take much less time than that. The room of the Tribunal was in one of the older sections of the sprawling, multi-building complex that was Yamaku.

A tall ceiling, paneled with oak beams - and leaded glass windows surrounded by gothic stone architecture gave the room of irrefutable gravity and probity. The tables were old and heavy, as were the chairs which moved with subdued squeaking on the waxed hardwood floor.

The room was divided in half, with the Tribunal occupying a table at the front. At the Tribunal table Mutou-sensei and Nurse sat on either side of a large empty chair; the Principal’s assistant sat at their own desk to the left of the centre table to take minutes — on the right side of the centre table stood a sign-language interpreter. On the Tribunal table was a stack of pads of paper, piles of fresh ballpoint pens, glasses, a carafe of water, and a gavel.

One side of the room was reserved for the injured boy and his cohort — in attendance were the boys, their families, and their lawyers; Tetsu suspected they would have had a cheering section had the rules allowed for it. On the other side of the room sat Tetsu, in the front row, alone. Tetsu had been informed of his right to retain council to represent him, but having no contacts in Japan to recommend a lawyer and the staff of Yamaku - sympathetic though they may have been - unable to recommend one out of concern for appearing biased, he was left to defend himself.

To the side of the main grouping of desks and chairs were chairs for what normally would have been observers of things the room was more casually used for - the debating society, literary readings, musical performances, and the like. As this Tribunal was being held in camera, the sole occupant of the observers gallery was the Student Council president, who had ex officio observer status on all disciplinary tribunals — and her personal interpreter.

Miki looked down through a gap in the ceiling - the attic space above the Tribunal’s room was oddly roomy. Built in the European style of the past century, a low, clear gallery acted in place of insulation — the summer’s heat rising up into the gallery and cooler air from the night passing down through nigh-invisible gaps in the wood of the high ceiling. In the winter the gap louvers could be closed to keep the heat in the room below. Through one of these gaps Miki observed the goings-on. How she knew about the attic gallery and how to reach it, the less said the better.

Tetsu had a random thought — “How oddly like a wedding the seats are laid out,” then the Principal arrived.

“All rise for the Headmaster” called out the Principal’s assistant.

“How I wish he’d stop calling me that,” thought the Principal, but the assistant had been there longer than the Principal and had his own ideas about things - not a hill the Principal was inclined to die on this day.

The Principal made his way to the large seat at the centre of the main table. To call the Principal a large man would have been wrong. To call him huge would have been inaccurate. The Principal was anenormous mountain of a man - as wide was he was tall, and he wasn’t short. He dressed in a grey flannel cloak with a bright orange stripe in the collar. On his face he wore face paint reminiscent of a Samurai - he declined to wear his usual luchador mask on days when he was obliged to spend significant time outside of his air-conditioned office.

“I will now call this Tribunal to order - all may be seated,” and he banged his gavel once on its block.

“As a reminder to all assembled — I encourage you to tell the truth. Untruths will be found out and punished accordingly and candour will be rewarded. As well, should any choose to withdraw from enrollment before the completion of this proceeding, there will be no record of this proceeding on your academic transcript — you will be recorded has having chosen to withdraw, as opposed a record of expulsion. Does anyone choose to exercise their right to that option at this time?”

The hall was silent — the three aggrieved boys shifted somewhat uncomfortably in their seats it seemed, and Tetsu crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“In the interests of privacy as the two parties are unacquainted with each other, we will refer to the aggrieved students as Students A, B, and C — Student C being the one severely injured. The opposing student will be referred to as Student T.”

--
Attachments
Principal, Headmaster of Yamaku.jpg
Principal, Headmaster of Yamaku.jpg (391.72 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Last edited by Asoko_Desu on Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

+++