> Comfort Hanako

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: > Comfort Hanako

Post by pandaphil »

Sounds like classic low self-esteem issues. Shes convinced that everyone around her really doesn't like her and is constantly on the lookout for evidence to prove her theory. Trouble is, if Hisao and Lilly are too careful around her and try too hard to make her feel worthy, she goes into "You guys treat me like a baby" mode. Take about having to walk a narrow rope.

I like to think that with Hisao in the picture, having little birthday parties and gifts might become a regular thing between the three of them and maybe, she'll eventually realize that its something that everybody deserves.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
box

Post by box »

pandaphil wrote:A bit off-topic, but was it ever explained why she suffers such awful bouts of depression on her birthday? is it just trying to avoid people making a fuss over her?
She blames herself for her parent's death. She thinks if she wasn't born, her parents wouldn't have died trying to save her. Thus, she thinks her birthday is bad.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

She blames herself for her parent's death. She thinks if she wasn't born, her parents wouldn't have died trying to save her. Thus, she thinks her birthday is bad.
Actually that's merely what Hisao assumes before he finds out the real reason. That real reason was mentioned on the previous page.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Guest Poster wrote:
Actually that's merely what Hisao assumes before he finds out the real reason. That real reason was mentioned on the previous page.

This whole thing makes her a really difficult character to work with. If someones down, most of the time you make a big deal over them to cheer them up and convince them that they're worthy. In Hanako's case, it just makes her feel worse. How the heck do you deal with that?

I'm wondering if they might have better luck with shared events instead. Ignoring her birthday, and instead having little parties and presents to mark the anniversary of she and Lilly's first meeting, or the day she and Hisao became a couple. At least then the spotlight wouldn't all be on her.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

pandaphil wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:

This whole thing makes her a really difficult character to work with. If someones down, most of the time you make a big deal over them to cheer them up and convince them that they're worthy. In Hanako's case, it just makes her feel worse. How the heck do you deal with that?
Don't be a white knight. No girl likes a white knight. Just let her handle her own problems, and if she needs help, she'll ask for it herself.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

KeiichiO wrote:
Don't be a white knight. No girl likes a white knight. Just let her handle her own problems, and if she needs help, she'll ask for it herself.
And y'know, that one line right there cuts through the BS with one shot. Thank you.

*Has to think about this*
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

pandaphil wrote: I'm wondering if they might have better luck with shared events instead. Ignoring her birthday, and instead having little parties and presents to mark the anniversary of she and Lilly's first meeting, or the day she and Hisao became a couple. At least then the spotlight wouldn't all be on her.
That's actually a pretty good idea. She did enjoy her own birthday/Lilly's going away party so I think that's probably the best way to go about things like that.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

and if she needs help, she'll ask for it herself.
Except Hanako's so afraid of being an inconvenience to others that quite often she doesn't ask even if she COULD use a hand or a supporting shoulder. Which makes the situation that much trickier.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

Guest Poster wrote:
Except Hanako's so afraid of being an inconvenience to others that quite often she doesn't ask even if she COULD use a hand or a supporting shoulder. Which makes the situation that much trickier.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. She does everything in her power to not be a burden on anyone else. That's a tricky one to go about.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

SpecimenSix wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:
Yea I was thinking the same thing. She does everything in her power to not be a burden on anyone else. That's a tricky one to go about.
I guess all you can do is keep an eye on her, stepping in to help only when she absolutely needs it, and hoping she doesn't take it the wrong way.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

pandaphil wrote:
SpecimenSix wrote: Yea I was thinking the same thing. She does everything in her power to not be a burden on anyone else. That's a tricky one to go about.
I guess all you can do is keep an eye on her, stepping in to help only when she absolutely needs it, and hoping she doesn't take it the wrong way.
Yea something like that. I'm afraid I'm not too good with people so that's where I run out of ideas. :lol:
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:A bit off-topic, but was it ever explained why she suffers such awful bouts of depression on her birthday? is it just trying to avoid people making a fuss over her?
Would you want to celebrate your birth if your only family died because of you?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I don't think every orphan automatically has hangups about their birthday...Hanako's dislike of the day came after she left the hospital.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Ultimately, Hanako needs to know that she answers to no man but herself.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hanako's a man?