Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who do you want with you if you are stranded on a deserted island?

Akira
14%
Emi
10%
Hanako
19%
Kenji
5%
Lilly
10%
Miki
4%
Misha
4%
Nurse
9%
Mutou
4%
Rin
8%
Shizune
9%
Yuuko
2%
Someone else
2%
No one else
1%

Total votes: 167

Potato

Re: Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:
Potato wrote:The least we can do is put her on par with the others for the hypothetical mental resilience.
Except she doesn't have any, insofar as we have ever seen. Unhealthy coping =/= mental resilience.

Yes, Emi's prosthetics could wear out...But they wouldn't. Because she's not running marathons on an island. :lol:

And there is still no reason to think Lilly's blindness would make her useless there any more than anywhere else.

At any rate, Meiko is the best choice because dat ass.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Potato wrote: And there is still no reason to think Lilly's blindness would make her useless there any more than anywhere else.

If it's between Hawaii and Japan, we should assume it is tropical or subtropical. Thus, this island is likely to have trees. Many trees. In fact, there just may be a jungle on the island. Do you know what there are in jungles?

Trees. Lots and lots of trees, with branches that stick out and roots that knot up in strange places. Lilly uses a cane for guidance. Unless she is literally sweeping the entirety of where she will be placing her feet, she's gonna fall over on some root. At that's not even accounting for all the branches that would be up above her cane's reach. Each step would have to take at least 3-4 times as long as a regular person's steps (even jungle steps). Now, she wouldn't be useless, but the lack of sight is only something that can be survived thanks to society and technology, unless you had someone doing an extra load of work to feed the person and guide them through difficult terrain.

Think about it: Lilly is used to walking around in buildings, in cities, in places where there are still guidelines of where to go. Her cane will catch a wall because a wall is a total plane. There aren't parts where a wall isn't on its given plane of existence, unless its a really bad wall.

As for Meiko, yes.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Potato

Post by Potato »

azumeow wrote:
Potato wrote: And there is still no reason to think Lilly's blindness would make her useless there any more than anywhere else.

If it's between Hawaii and Japan, we should assume it is tropical or subtropical. Thus, this island is likely to have bees. Many bees. In fact, there just may be a jungle on the island. Do you know what there are in jungles?

Bees. Lots and lots of bees...
I have improved your post by adding bees.

Lilly can handle bees, right?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Potato wrote:
azumeow wrote:
If it's between Hawaii and Japan, we should assume it is tropical or subtropical. Thus, this island is likely to have bees. Many bees. In fact, there just may be a jungle on the island. Do you know what there are in jungles?

NOBODY can handle bees....
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

azumeow wrote:
Potato wrote:
azumeow wrote:

NOBODY can handle bees....
I beg to differ:

Bees out the vagoo and she still fine tho.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

SpunkySix wrote:
azumeow wrote: NOBODY can handle bees....
I beg to differ:

Bees out the vagoo and she still fine tho.
That face is NOT fine. Not in the least.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

You must bee biased.

Edited for effect.
Last edited by SpunkySix on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:You must be biased.
None of your own lemon-scented beeswax! (Sorry, I just had to say that…)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Not the bees! NOT THE BEES!
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Back to the topic at hand, I've noticed some people assuming Hanako would be all but useless due to her issues. I think those people are forgetting that Hanako is able to put her own issues aside if someone else needs her. I don't think she'd be that useless. (I'm not saying she'd never have problems, but I don't think she'd just end up as a big traumatized ball of worthlessness, either.) And hey, being stranded on an island might be a good thing, from her point of view. She'd finally be able to get away from everybody, once and for all.
One last thing: Bees. My God.
Last edited by emmjay on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Potato wrote:
Zarys wrote:
Potato wrote:The least we can do is put her on par with the others for the hypothetical mental resilience.
Except she doesn't have any, insofar as we have ever seen. Unhealthy coping =/= mental resilience.

Well, I think that we don't have the same interpretation of the character. :mrgreen:
I already answered what I thought of these "unhealty coping", but I don't think we can talk if you only answer to my conclusion by always repeating the same argument; you can disagree the way I see the Hanako's Psyche but explain why, please. (you have no obligation, but i find it's a little unfair to simplifiy my opinion like that.)
She is not even really antisocial because she is mentaly paralyzed but because she did not want to open up to the others...I'm not saying that this is not a problem but it is rather superficial and she never showed neglect her life or health.
Even Hisao in the bad end realizes that he is not really better than her, that he would be broken if she was, the fact that he better manages social relations does not mean much. A major failure factor in his relationship with Hanako is don't understand that he is not very different from her, in part because he don't accept his new state and the fact that he also build mental walls, (and accomplish this is what allows you to have good ending with the fact of going beyond her apparent fragility) as it is implied that he has never revealed as he did with the girls in the game, there was a certain emotional distance with his former "friends".
She was not fed intravenously before meet Lilly, you know, she is able to care for herself
She lost her parents, was burned, vilified for her appareance, and just became introverted (and half because she wanted it) and you say she is a fragile dool who cannot endure anything ?
You are sure to have played her Route ? this is one of the aesop that no, she will not die or go mad if she is no helped. (not that people cannot people bring positive things to her; Hisao and Lilly could be positive for her, they can also hurt her in the bad ending but even here she will survive)
What is the point of the whole character Hanako for you ?

The least we can do is put her on par with the others for the hypothetical mental resilience.
If we don't see Hanako in a "survival" situation, we don't see either Hanako neglecting her health..I don't think you can compare a partially voluntary social isolation with to let herself die in a survival situation.
It's like the fact that she don't have suicidal tendencies, I don't think she is "weak" in this way...
Social anxiety is really one of the least worst reactions to traumatic shock, and people like Hanako rarely serious neglect themselves or suicide.
She is lonely, not suicidal, mentally unstable, or anything ...

It's crazy how Hanako's state is exaggerated EVEN is the the opposite IS the EXPLICIT point of her route !!!
I don't know, read the texts of her Route, especialy the endings ? it seems obvious to me.

It's pretty horrible if you really think this kind of people are like that, it could be disastrous if one day you meet with someone like that
and act according to what you say ... (Think Hanako Bad Ending)

But again, what is the point of the whole Hanako character for you, if you think that ? the "white-knighting" thing and all ? the whole aesop "Face you fears" and "To love someone is to trust that they can be strong." ? all wrong because she is a mad girl who will finish in the asylium ? and I suposse that Rin is just a Cloudcuckoolander who cannot be accepted as she is; Lilly a Mary-Sue with who we cannot be honest and will never be honest herself,
Emi is a girl who must be saved or can not count on anyone without taking pity because take everything on oneself is good; :roll:

I think that think like that after having played her Route is as much sad as laugh at disabled people after playing KS.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

It seems unlikely to me that Hanako would be so unable to cope with talking to one person that she'd rather starve to death on an island in the middle of nowhere. Eventually she'd get used to you because she'd have to if she didn't want to die.
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

SpunkySix wrote:It seems unlikely to me that Hanako would be so unable to cope with talking to one person that she'd rather starve to death on an island in the middle of nowhere. Eventually she'd get used to you because she'd have to if she didn't want to die.
Well, the best thing to do is to give her her space until she comes to you. If she doesn't and you can visibly see her having problems, THEN you can take the initiative.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

ParagonTerminus wrote: Well, the best thing to do is to give her her space until she comes to you.
So she's kinda like a heavily burnt owl, then?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Munchenhausen wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote: Well, the best thing to do is to give her her space until she comes to you.
...and thus began the thermonuclear war
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

ParagonTerminus wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
...and thus began the thermonuclear war
Personally, id use incendiary bombs.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl