Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bhtooefr

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by bhtooefr »

The trick is that the right place for Kenji isn't Yamaku, even with his blindness.

It's a facility that specializes in mental health, really. And Yamaku explicitly isn't that.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

That's how I imagine Kenji at times...
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

Huh, was it stated or implied within the VN as to how he got into Yamaku, then? Because, if what you have said was correct, his personality swings wouldn't make sense for him being admitted into the school unless they happened after around his first term there.
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

AussieInquisitor wrote:Huh, was it stated or implied within the VN as to how he got into Yamaku, then? Because, if what you have said was correct, his personality swings wouldn't make sense for him being admitted into the school unless they happened after around his first term there.

Not that I can remember no, It just mentions his (Partial) blindness multiple times.

But it's more than obvious that..whew..he is...phew..dude be nuts
AussieInquisitor

Hmm, darn. I guess that, to him, he's locked his own little "Heart of Darkness" as long as he's at Yamaku.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
brythain

Post by brythain »

Sohtak wrote:
AussieInquisitor wrote:Huh, was it stated or implied within the VN as to how he got into Yamaku, then? Because, if what you have said was correct, his personality swings wouldn't make sense for him being admitted into the school unless they happened after around his first term there.

Not that I can remember no, It just mentions his (Partial) blindness multiple times.

I guess what I'm interested in is what kind of organic disability he has that would lead to the appearance of madness. Synesthesia coupled with partial blindness might do it - that's my take on it.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
AussieInquisitor

brythain wrote:
Sohtak wrote:
AussieInquisitor wrote:snip

I guess what I'm interested in is what kind of organic disability he has that would lead to the appearance of madness. Synesthesia coupled with partial blindness might do it - that's my take on it.
Hmm, good point. Just because one seems to be mad or makes massive jumps in logic (sometimes correct, other times ... well, not so), doesn't necessarily mean one IS, medically speaking, diagnosable as mad.

I recall a moment in Shizune's route where he removes his glasses and, somehow, it seemed as if he briefly made sense.

Mind we can debate about Kenji's state of mind until the end of the week. That bloke truly is an enigma.

- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AussieInquisitor wrote:That bloke truly is an enigma.
Now I'm picturing him all in green and question marks.

"What's wrong, Hisao? Has your primitive brain given up, and accepted that I, Kenji, am better than you?"
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

Sohtak wrote:You know, I'm sure this has been thought of before...

But I got to thinking...would there be a need for Yamaku if most of the students were able to afford some sort of surgery?

For example...

Lily gets surgery and sees for the first time in her life
Shizune gets hearing implants and learns to speak
Rin gets prosthetic arms (Speaking of why isn't that a thing? I mean Emi got them for her..lack of legs)
Kenji gets surgery and makes his (Mostly) blind life a bit more clear

Anywho...A stupid idea? Possibly. But just something I happened to think of because I was bored and couldn't sleep. But if that were the case we wouldn't have KS to play would we? Haha
Lilly and Shizune both have pretty well-to-do families. I'd imagine if Lilly wanted it, they could put some cash aside over time.

As for Shizune...Well, Jigoro's too dense to realize she can't just magically learn to hear or whatever so that's a problem.

Prosthetic arms are a thing. They just suck quite a bit due to being much more complicated than legs. (Note: This is changing recently, but it's expensive as fuck.)

There is no surgery to fix total insanity. No, lobotomies don't count.

Plus, there's the simple question of "Do they want surgery?"
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Surgery probably wouldn't help Lilly. She's been blind her whole life. Her brain, by this point, has rewired itself so that the information most normal people get from sight is wired into other things instead.

If for some reason, she was to get surgery, there's a very high chance she would suffer from Agnosia (basically a problem where people are able to see but the brain can't properly process the information to the point where she'd actually be MORE blind WITH the ability to see.)
Not Dead Yet
AussieInquisitor

Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:snip
... Plus, there's the simple question of "Do they want surgery?"
Good point - it's likely that the girls have adjusted so much to adapt due to their changed lifestyles via their disabilities that they may not conceive of living any other way.

- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Potato

Post by Potato »

AussieInquisitor wrote:
Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:snip
... Plus, there's the simple question of "Do they want surgery?"
Good point - it's likely that the girls have adjusted so much to adapt due to their changed lifestyles via their disabilities that they may not conceive of living any other way.
I wouldn't say they've adjusted. Adjustment suggests they had to adapt to some new situation. Most of them never had to adjust to their conditions because the conditions have always been their default state.

Pretty much all of them aside from Emi had their conditions from birth. Well, and Hanako but her disability is mostly all in her head.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Well, and Hanako but her disability is mostly all in her head.
And on her skin.

If you have burns that are eyecatching enough for everyone to notice them at first glance and those burns result in years of bullying and even teachers having difficulty dealing with you, then that's a very real disability.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Guest Poster wrote:
And on her skin.

If you have burns that are eyecatching enough for everyone to notice them at first glance and those burns result in years of bullying and even teachers having difficulty dealing with you, then that's a very real disability.
Yes, but almost all of her major issues were psychological as opposed to physical.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Guest Poster wrote:
And on her skin.

I still wouldn't say the burns themselves are a disability, mind you.
Sure, her life is all but ruined because of them, but they don't seem to disable her on a physical level. At worst, she may need a regular cream/lotion routine to keep any infections at bay, but not much more than that.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon