Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

HurricaneHarvey

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Corn syrup is an America thing. All non-diet pop is made with it unless you buy ones that specifically state being old timey or using real sugar. Same goes for most any sweet drink, even juice here.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

HurricaneHarvey wrote:unless you buy ones that specifically state being old timey or using real sugar
I feel so hipst'a now.

I'm an addict though, and can't stand the diet sodas. Aspartam, and acesulfam - unpalatable.
And nobody should fool himself cheap orange juice is healthier than Coke. I tried to be more sugar-aware, with my GF, and we found most of fruit juice in the mall is as high on that stuff, as any soda if not higher. Read the labels and weep.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

It's not just an American thing. Same stuff is used in Germany as an industrial sweetener together with inverted sugar sirup, and is called "Glucose-Fructose-Sirup". It can be made from maize, potatoes or wheat.
Whatever is used, even if it is a zero calories artificial sweetener, I still don't get that particular obsession. It's okay to drink that stuff every now and then, but every day? Ugh.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
HurricaneHarvey

Huckleberry sarsaparilla is amazing if done right. If you go to a mountain area with lots of huckleberry in season people make a sarsaparilla soda sweetened with fresh wild huckleberrys, at least they do along the rocky mountains and yellowstone, and it is the best sweet drink I have ever had.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Probably something you've got to hook on when you are a kid. I never had the chance, so there.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Finished week 3, last session: 8m running, 4m walking, 6m running. I'm gonna try to get the 20m running at the end of next week. (probaply gonna do 8-3-8, 8-2-8, 20)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Just had a great ride even though the last kilometer was powered by sheer determination. Was able to go for longer than previously. Thank you Emi!
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Having been hooked on soda since I was a kid, giving it up is still pretty hard. It was my go-to drink whenever I needed something to wash down a meal or just whenever. It's terrible when I think about it, fully knowing what corn syrup does to the body (If you ever get a chance to take a nutrition class in college or whatever, do it!). So, awhile back I invested in a really nice water bottle from Thermos. It doesn't leak, and if I fill it with water and ice, it stays cold ALL day. That said, ideally you want to drink water at room temperature. Cold water feels really good, but your body has to use energy to bring that water to normal temperature.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

HurricaneHarvey wrote:Corn syrup is an America thing. All non-diet pop is made with it unless you buy ones that specifically state being old timey or using real sugar. Same goes for most any sweet drink, even juice here.
That's because we subsidize the corn industry out the wazoo, so HFCS is cheaper than even locally grown beet sugar. Ironically, it's not just an American problem. Don't forget, the two most popular non-alcoholic drinks on the PLANET, Coke and Pepsi, are made right here in the States and shipped all over the world. Even the non-American plants use HFCS imported from America. (Excepting countries like Brazil that have a healthy cane sugar industry.)

Of course, I almost never drink soft drinks of any kind. Mostly because YEARS of drinking them ruined the lining of my stomach so badly I'm on Omeprazole every day for life just to keep from getting a terminal ulcer. (I hate you, Carbonic Acid. With the fire of a thousand suns.) Trust me, quit drinking the stuff. If you want something sweet, have an all natural iced-tea or some water.

A nice bonus is that you will lose weight faster AND have lower cholesterol. Yeah, High cholesterol is a side-effect of HFCS consumption too. Mine was over 450 (That's the "death zone" kids.) before I quit drinking the stuff. Dropped to 140 inside two months after I quit. Still need cholesterol meds, but only occasionally as maintenance along with an improved diet. (yes, getting old sucks.)

So yeah. Stay away from soft drinks in general, and HFCS containing ones specifically and you'll do alot better in your training. See you all out there!
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

Don't know if these have been linked, but they're worth looking at if you want to get into strength training of some kind.

http://users.rcn.com/theresa63/bodyweightstuff.jpg
http://healthnfitnessinfographics.com/w ... orkout.png
http://healthnfitnessinfographics.com/w ... outine.png

Latest and most simplified versions of both SS and SL here:

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/10/sta ... gains.html
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I want to compare something.
Does anyone have a bottle of that US HFCS Coca-Cola, somewhere handy? I wonder how calories count differs, is US coke really higher on calories.

My official sponsor of UEFA Euro2012 Coke (regular one) reads:
180kJ (42 kcal) per 100ml
with 10.6 g of sugar (and nothing else whatsoever).

Can someone over the ocean qoute me the label on that?

Edit: I found some data online, but still I'd be glad for the label citation. What I found is contradictory, and those fluid ounces of yours doesn't make it easier.
HurricaneHarvey

NoOne3 wrote:I want to compare something.
Does anyone have a bottle of that US HFCS Coca-Cola, somewhere handy? I wonder how calories count differs, is US coke really higher on calories.

My official sponsor of UEFA Euro2012 Coke (regular one) reads:
180kJ (42 kcal) per 100ml
with 10.6 g of sugar (and nothing else whatsoever).

Can someone over the ocean qoute me the label on that?

Edit: I found some data online, but still I'd be glad for the label citation. What I found is contradictory, and those fluid ounces of yours doesn't make it easier.
From the back of a can in the fridge.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 can, 12 fl oz (355 ml)
Servings Per Container 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 140
Total Fat: 0g
Sodium: 45mg
Total Carbohydrate: 39g
Sugars: 39g
Protein: 0g

Ingrediant list, in order of amount in product:
Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel color, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Caffeine.

Also the US product nutritional value site for Coca-cola
http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacom ... ngredients
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Meh. I'm on the 'eat half as much as you usually do' diet, and the 'play hockey a shitload' exercise program.

I've dropped to my target weight of 200lbs from 220 in about 2 months. Gonna try to stabilize here and build muscle to make up the fat I'm loosing.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

You could get on a beginner's strength programme. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 will probably work for your purposes, and you can supplement them with more sport-specific exercises if you're also interested in improving your ability at hockey. Things like agility drills (agility ladders, dot drill, shuttle runs), (stair) sprints, skipping intervals, box jumps etc will all contribute to greater athleticism.

I've found that working towards sport-specific goals tends to produce far more concrete motivation and a more focused plan than vague statements like 'get big and strong'. The other option is using specific numbers in the weight room, but that feels like it's divorced from reality.
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Synthus wrote:You could get on a beginner's strength programme. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 will probably work for your purposes, and you can supplement them with more sport-specific exercises if you're also interested in improving your ability at hockey. Things like agility drills (agility ladders, dot drill, shuttle runs), (stair) sprints, skipping intervals, box jumps etc will all contribute to greater athleticism.

I've found that working towards sport-specific goals tends to produce far more concrete motivation and a more focused plan than vague statements like 'get big and strong'. The other option is using specific numbers in the weight room, but that feels like it's divorced from reality.
Adding on.

I personally follow this workout schedule.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

I went from Men's beginners and currently on intermediate and have had good results. (Then again I went radical and changed my diet as well... lol)

The beginners is a nice way to start up with simple workouts. The site also has videos of the guy demonstrating the right forms for each workout and has very nice tips when working out.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.