Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YutoTheOrc

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Khalego wrote:
Zarys wrote:Hisao and Hanako have exactly the same level of awkwardness towards each other
Yeah, I remember that time when Hanako tried to talk to Hisao and he totally flipped his shit, frantically spewed out an entire sentence without even separating the words, then bolted off into nowhere like a terrified rabbit.

...Hey, wait a second...
LOL :lol:
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Zarys wrote:and is Hisao really less awkward TOWARDS her
Yes. Yes he is.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
brythain

Paper Submission

Post by brythain »

Disabled Girl Romances as a Personality Test (Abstract)

Katawa Shoujo (4LS, 2012), or 'KS', is a phenomenon that is little-known outside certain gaming circles. However, it is one that has garnered many accolades and a dedicated fanbase.

In this short paper, we evaluate the 'KS' game itself as a kind of multiphasic multifaceted personality test. Essentially, there are five developed 'routes', each with two or more endings, and a null route with a premature ending. We assert that the order in which a dedicated player completes the routes, and the kinds of endings obtained, provide a valid key to understanding the kind of neural network the player has. In KS, the possible developed outcomes can be tagged E, H, L, R, and S in alphabetical order. Secondary outcomes can be E+, E-, H+, Hn, H-, L+, Ln, R+, Rn, R-, Sn1, Sn2 in which + is generally considered a positive ending and a successful romance, while - is a negative outcome and n represents a difficult-to-evaluate 'neutral' outcome. The premature null ending can be labelled K0. As gamers have hitherto observed, the kind of personality manifested by the gamer is linked to a tendency to end up in a particular route. Various researchers have reported that traits such as masochism, literary overthinking and suchlike are linked to the S routes, whereas traits like self-improvement and a need to hang out with girls classically labelled as 'kawaii' are linked to the E routes. Using the concept of episodic foresight and Cartesian theatre (e.g. Suddendorf & Redshaw, 2013) we show how such findings allow us to use self-reported KS completion sequences to evaluate the neural network and personality traits of any given gamer.

=====
Just kidding, sorry. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Paper Submission

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

brythain wrote:Disabled Girl Romances as a Personality Test (Abstract)

Katawa Shoujo (4LS, 2012), or 'KS', is a phenomenon that is little-known outside certain gaming circles. However, it is one that has garnered many accolades and a dedicated fanbase.

In this short paper, we evaluate the 'KS' game itself as a kind of multiphasic multifaceted personality test. Essentially, there are five developed 'routes', each with two or more endings, and a null route with a premature ending. We assert that the order in which a dedicated player completes the routes, and the kinds of endings obtained, provide a valid key to understanding the kind of neural network the player has. In KS, the possible developed outcomes can be tagged E, H, L, R, and S in alphabetical order. Secondary outcomes can be E+, E-, H+, Hn, H-, L+, Ln, R+, Rn, R-, Sn1, Sn2 in which + is generally considered a positive ending and a successful romance, while - is a negative outcome and n represents a difficult-to-evaluate 'neutral' outcome. The premature null ending can be labelled K0. As gamers have hitherto observed, the kind of personality manifested by the gamer is linked to a tendency to end up in a particular route. Various researchers have reported that traits such as masochism, literary overthinking and suchlike are linked to the S routes, whereas traits like self-improvement and a need to hang out with girls classically labelled as 'kawaii' are linked to the E routes. Using the concept of episodic foresight and Cartesian theatre (e.g. Suddendorf & Redshaw, 2013) we show how such findings allow us to use self-reported KS completion sequences to evaluate the neural network and personality traits of any given gamer.

=====
Just kidding, sorry. :)
Wow, I would totally believe you'd written an entire dissertation on the psychological traits of KS users if you showed me that without the 'just kidding' at the end :P

That said, if we were able to get 200 people who'd never gone through it before and then analysed their choices (alongside other tests of course, as a stand-alone it wouldn't be very thorough) that could genuinely be an interesting experiment...
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Actually, immediately I've seen holes in my previous post. You could have someone who would naturally go for choices pointing towards an 'I need guidance' angle, which would initially make you end up on Lilly's, but if you appease the nurse, the that's it. Given the amount of people who seem to appease the nurse first time, it either means that they don't like letting people down, or there's a 70/30 split you'll end up on one girl's route without even taking into account other choices.

I think I've heard there's a way you can do another route if you've appeased the Nurse, but I haven't found it yet.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

YutoTheOrc

Re: Paper Submission

Post by YutoTheOrc »

brythain wrote:Disabled Girl Romances as a Personality Test (Abstract)

Katawa Shoujo (4LS, 2012), or 'KS', is a phenomenon that is little-known outside certain gaming circles. However, it is one that has garnered many accolades and a dedicated fanbase.....
I honestly believed you, I definitely fit the Emi route personality. I wish someone would actually write a paper like this one, it makes a weird sort of sense. Even if you were just kidding, I think there is some straws to be grabbed here :p
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

I think I've heard there's a way you can do another route if you've appeased the Nurse, but I haven't found it yet.
You are correct, the route in question is Shizune's. First you make decisions in favour of Shizune. Then you have to deicide to appease the Nurse or not on Wednesday. If you go with 'maybe', you'll spend Thursday with Shizune and Misha (Proof of Complacency and Event Horizon), agree to join the Student Council and are practically locked in on her route, just don't kick them out of your room in 'Home Field Advantage'. If you go with 'yes', the events play out as before until you go and exercise for the second time on Friday, when you have presented with two opportunities of deciding between Emi and Shizune.

1. If you 'take it easy', you're back on Shizune's route and have to make the same decision in Home Field Advantage as stated above to get her route going proper.

2. If you 'go for it', you return to 3-3 after the trip to the Nurse's office and have two more decisions to make. Go with the snarky response and you're gonna enjoy a Manly picnic on Sunday. Go with 'I don't want to take about it' and you're given another decision on who to have lunch with, Emi or Shizune. Whoever you go for puts you on their route.

Thinking it over, Hisao does throw Shizune and Misha away like rubbish if he goes to lunch with Emi. Up until that point, he's spent most of his time with them and joins the Student Council only to cast them aside by going with Emi. Can't imagine that they took it well.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Brythian wrote:Personality Test
Actually, I think that would work if you forced them to go through all five routes without giving them a tree.

One could draw a conclusion that a L+ is a generally open person, and most likely an I.
Another could draw that a S+ is loyal (although somewhat unreliable.)
E+ are most likely caring and patient.

H+ and R+ are kinda harder to read. R+ is supportive, H+ is probably caring and goal-oriented?

On to what I was going to say:

I know that talking about dreams is generally frowned upon as a thread topic, but this is random enough I may get away with it.

I have synethesia of the ears and eyes (I can describe rather fluently what most music looks like.) So my dreams can get pretty weird if I'm listening to music. I was taking a nap and someone played "Once Upon a Dream" by Lana Del Ray, and I got a fly through of Yamaku with each of the girls in their "Spots" (H/L in the tearoom, E/R on the roof, S/M in the classroom.)

More music I'm going to need to hide from in public. Man, and I thought not being able to here Sarabande would be bad, now Disney has to team up with my brain to try to break me in public.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Broomhead wrote:
Brythian wrote:Personality Test
Actually, I think that would work if you forced them to go through all five routes without giving them a tree.
Well, now you know what kind of occupational background I might have, no matter how I try to hide it. :)

Your synaesthesia is interesting. It might make you a helluva fanfic author. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Khalego wrote:
Yes. Yes he is.
It's always nice to pretend to don't understand what I want mean. :roll:
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Zarys wrote:
Khalego wrote:
Yes. Yes he is.
It's always nice to pretend to don't understand what I want mean. :roll:
Who's pretending anything?
A) Half the time, I can't figure out what you mean. There's nothing pretend about it.
B) I know what you mean here. You asked a question. I answered the question. That's how questions work.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:[Who's pretending anything?
A) Half the time, I can't figure out what you mean. There's nothing pretend about it.
I was going to tell him the same thing, but didn't know how to put it into words that didn't make me sound like a douchenugget...

ANYwho~, how 'bout them disabled damsels? Pretty nifty, eh?
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

KeiichiO wrote:ANYwho~, how 'bout them disabled damsels? Pretty nifty, eh?
Personally, I find the whole concept of the damsel in distress needing a guy to help her with her issues totally sexist, misogynistic and offensive and if I were a woman, I would be feeling so completely attacked right now. I think they're pretty nifty also.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:
Personally, I find the whole concept of the damsel in distress needing a guy to help her with her issues totally sexist, misogynistic and offensive and if I were a woman, I would be feeling so completely attacked right now. I think they're pretty nifty also.
I never even used the word 'distress' when referring to damsels, so I don't know what you're rambling on about. Probably a silly that I refuse to acknowledge.
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

KeiichiO wrote:
Khalego wrote:
I never even used the word 'distress' when referring to damsels, so I don't know what you're rambling on about. Probably a silly that I refuse to acknowledge.
It was a silly. But everyone at Yamaku is pretty distressed. Even Mutou is really down for some reason, it seems...Probably because people with horrible taste won't quit calling him Dr. Who...
Khalego's Fanfic Tips