The Official KS Headcanon Thread

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: The Official KS Headcanon Thread

Post by brythain »

Broomhead wrote:
brythain wrote: As Hisao himself notes, Jigoro has an analytical stare even while he's acting an asshole.
Jigoro, neither hypocrite nor jerk, but concerned father, devious schemer, not a nice guy but determined to hold his family together.
Well I'm accepting that into my list now. And perhaps worse, relate a lot to this Jigoro. I have acted differently around people or disguised myself to get their opinion on me or others without bias. I have also played the asshole simply to drive someone out of my friend group that was hurting the others.

God, even after turning off the VN I learn about myself and others in a meaningful way. This is going to trickle down my consciousness.
It got so deep into my headcanon that I made it part of the core of both Misha's and Hideaki's arcs in the AtD-verse. Glad to see (I think) that you can relate!

Of course, that just links to my headcanon about Jigoro's wife, which is still up in the air at the moment, but has certain fixed points. I think she was a lawyer, a career professional who used to fight a lot with Jigoro—maybe treated him the way Shizune treats Hisao in Shizune's arc. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Broomhead wrote:
brythain wrote: As Hisao himself notes, Jigoro has an analytical stare even while he's acting an asshole.
Jigoro, neither hypocrite nor jerk, but concerned father, devious schemer, not a nice guy but determined to hold his family together.
Well I'm accepting that into my list now. And perhaps worse, relate a lot to this Jigoro. I have acted differently around people or disguised myself to get their opinion on me or others without bias. I have also played the asshole simply to drive someone out of my friend group that was hurting the others.

God, even after turning off the VN I learn about myself and others in a meaningful way. This is going to trickle down my consciousness.
Same here. I tend to think on the fact that characters who are jackass MUST have some reason why they act that way.

So Jigoro effectively trolling Hisao to see how adamant the kid is about dating his daughter? Makes complete sense actually.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

bhtooefr wrote:Hanako is fluent in English, she just said that she was doing "all right, [she...] suppose[d]" in Lilly's route, because she felt guilty about rubbing it in.
With her nervousness in a classroom setting and how often she would be absent, she opted to take an online English course as well as Yamaku's course. Online courses are quite expensive Have you seen how much Rosetta Stone costs? Fucking hell. so she had no choice but to go for a budget option and learn from half-arsed videos on YouTube.

She is fluent in English, but as a result unknowingly speaks English in a thick Brummie accent.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
brythain

Post by brythain »

Steinherz wrote:So Jigoro effectively trolling Hisao to see how adamant the kid is about dating his daughter? Makes complete sense actually.
Hisao appears to have passed the test. Later in the route, Jigoro entrusts him with contacting Jigoro/Hideaki when they're on holiday in case Shizune needs anything. But Jigoro can't resist trolling the Student Council a bit more… :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

After playing through Shizune's route again, I've decided that Jigoro was really 'being an asshole/jerk' in the sense that he'd decided to act one in order to test Hisao's responses.
Except Misha states in the VN that Jigoro is like that to everybody.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

You don't know how happy I am reading this.

I've been telling the same thing over and over and over again, went through two to three waifu wars, and it still doesn't get to them. I'm crying tears in a sense that someone else actually shares my view :D
Guest Poster wrote:
After playing through Shizune's route again, I've decided that Jigoro was really 'being an asshole/jerk' in the sense that he'd decided to act one in order to test Hisao's responses.
The same reason he'd do that to Hisao.

Jigoro is this over-protective parents who's really trying hard to keep his family in one piece. He acts like an 'asshole' because he's pretty much measuring everyone--that, and he's afraid of actually being outdone by someone else. It's reasonable.

Also, I don't believe you can trust what Misha said word-per-word considering her character and how she easily deviates everything to make it all 'good and dandy'. She's as reliable an informant as a llama driving your taxi and expecting it to reach the destination you want.
Last edited by Megumeru on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
brythain

Post by brythain »

Guest Poster wrote:
Which would be Misha, in her own experience. :)
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

I can understand brythain and Megumeru's point of view on Jigoro, however I haven't spent the amount of time myself to see. The points that brythain has outlined are well thought out, and even make a bit of sense. He must have a reason for being a humongous asshat, everyone does; their reason seems the most logical to me at least. I'm thinking that with the assumed passing of his late wife, he took on this persona as a way of protecting the last important woman in his life-Shizune. I doubt that Jigoro is close to any possible siblings, or even his parents.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

In an odd reverse-headcanon...

When the characters are exposed to something they really-really like (e.g. for the fun of it, a VN of 'us')...

1. Shizune would turn on her computer and write a fanfiction
2. Emi would exercise twice as hard, telling herself that she's doing it for 'x' as a motivation.
3. Lilly would lie on her bed with a pillow, hugging it tight as she tries to remember the fondest moments.
4. Rin would paint and make fanarts.
5. Hanako would be in the forums talking about and helping others who got the 'feels' get through.

I've seen that somewhere before...but I forgot where.

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Megumeru wrote:I've seen that somewhere before...but I forgot where.

It came from the Favourite Artworks thread. Sounds like some cheap sci-fi film from the 50's.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Megumeru wrote:Jigoro is this over-protective parents who's really trying hard to keep his family in one piece. He acts like an 'asshole' because he's pretty much measuring everyone--that, and he's afraid of actually being outdone by someone else. It's reasonable.
Except that it really isn't. If I was dating someone, and their parent treated me that way, regardless of a test being in the process, I'd want nothing to do with that parent. I'd be scared to visit their home, as there's a beasts lurking around, just waiting to strike and destroy any sliver of an ego I have...

Of course, that's just me. I probably wouldn't be able to handle Jigoro quite like Hisao does...
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

KeiichiO wrote:
Megumeru wrote:Jigoro is this over-protective parents who's really trying hard to keep his family in one piece. He acts like an 'asshole' because he's pretty much measuring everyone--that, and he's afraid of actually being outdone by someone else. It's reasonable.
Except that it really isn't. If I was dating someone, and their parent treated me that way, regardless of a test being in the process, I'd want nothing to do with that parent. I'd be scared to visit their home, as there's a beasts lurking around, just waiting to strike and destroy any sliver of an ego I have...

Of course, that's just me. I probably wouldn't be able to handle Jigoro quite like Hisao does...
Ohoho you don't know how hostile parents can be when you're approaching one of their daughter.

It's not as fine and dandy as it is in the west I think. Here, you're pretty much in for a long ride and commitment if you land with the right one--meeting the parents is a tradition, and they're usually ready to berate you any chance they get or find ways to embarrass you.

SHII-HAEL!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

That also depends on where in the west you are.

There are parts of the US where it's a cultural meme that a father will be making a show of cleaning firearms when a suitor to his daughter comes around. I mean, that's even worse than Jigoro twirling a sword...
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Megumeru wrote:Ohoho you don't know how hostile parents can be when you're approaching one of their daughter.
I've had girlfriends, and their parents were usually really cool. I don't think I've ever met a parent I was intimidated by. I think those kinds of dads that threaten their daughter's boyfriends are completely irrational. I'd understand if he actually did something wrong, but putting that pseudo-murderer skin on just to scare the poor boy? You're not doing your daughter any favors when you do that.
bhtooefr wrote:There are parts of the US where it's a cultural meme that a father will be making a show of cleaning firearms when a suitor to his daughter comes around. I mean, that's even worse than Jigoro twirling a sword...
That's one of the cons of living in rural areas.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

At least in the US, it goes back to the whole biblical belief that women are property of their father, and taking their virginity reduces their market value. So, the father is intimidating suitors into not damaging his property's value.

Yes, that is an incredibly regressive viewpoint.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!