Say Hisao's parents couldn't afford Yamaku...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mahorfeus

Re: Say Hisao's parents couldn't afford Yamaku...

Post by Mahorfeus »

SpunkySix wrote:
Mahorfeus wrote:It would be even worse with Iwanako, who would probably avoid Hisao altogether.
I have to wonder if she'd come around eventually, though. She does manage to send Hisao her letter in every route, so maybe with him directly there she'd make herself face what happened, possibly even sooner.
True. In a few of the routes Hisao more or less blows off her letter, though that might stem more from the fact that it was well, a letter. If she does bring herself to confront him directly, I wonder how seriously he would have taken it. Though obviously, all that hogwash about them never needing to see each other again wouldn't be there.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Potato

Post by Potato »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:In the VN, Hisao's decision is made for him that he's going to Yamaku Academy, one which he initially takes great umbrage to but later on... Well, we all know. Anyway, if his parents couldn't afford to send him to Yamaku, what would he have done? His parents couldn't homeschool him, we know that much, but going back to school after 4 months with a heart condition would surely either hospitalise him again, or even kill him. And even if that doesn't happen, 4 months away from a class that you've slowly built up bitterness for, he wouldn't be able to go back to how it used to be just like that, surely?

What if he didn't go back to education at all?
He'd probably just go back to school. So he has a heart condition, so he avoids running too much, whatevs. Really, his being shipped to Yamaku was complete overkill... :lol: As for the bitterness...Eh, could go either way. Good or bad.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

In Japanese school, they have a lunch program set up to where if your parents can't afford it, you get lunch for free. it's done this way to avoid embarrassment.

Thinking along these lines, I'd like to believe that the admissions department looks over the applications of all the students and their parents finances and decided exactly how much they can afford to pay, using various discounts and scholarships as an excuse to let the families save face.
Not Dead Yet
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Potato wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:In the VN, Hisao's decision is made for him that he's going to Yamaku Academy, one which he initially takes great umbrage to but later on... Well, we all know. Anyway, if his parents couldn't afford to send him to Yamaku, what would he have done? His parents couldn't homeschool him, we know that much, but going back to school after 4 months with a heart condition would surely either hospitalise him again, or even kill him. And even if that doesn't happen, 4 months away from a class that you've slowly built up bitterness for, he wouldn't be able to go back to how it used to be just like that, surely?

What if he didn't go back to education at all?
He'd probably just go back to school. So he has a heart condition, so he avoids running too much, whatevs. Really, his being shipped to Yamaku was complete overkill... :lol: As for the bitterness...Eh, could go either way. Good or bad.
Mmm, kinda see your point about the overkill bit, but then we wouldn't have had a glorious VN written about his adventures with 5 girls, a blind dude, a transvestite dude (Hideaki best girl), and a neurotic librarian... among others.
I kinda wanna know how bitterness could go in a good way :lol:
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Potato

Post by Potato »

Oddball wrote:In Japanese school, they have a lunch program set up to where if your parents can't afford it, you get lunch for free. it's done this way to avoid embarrassment.

Thinking along these lines, I'd like to believe that the admissions department looks over the applications of all the students and their parents finances and decided exactly how much they can afford to pay, using various discounts and scholarships as an excuse to let the families save face.
That's not a Japanese-specific thing to my knowledge. My lunches were always free anyway.

@Aaron: Well, he could get over it. XD
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:In Japanese school, they have a lunch program set up to where if your parents can't afford it, you get lunch for free. it's done this way to avoid embarrassment.
That's actually pretty generous. Huh.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Free and reduced-price lunch programs are a thing even in the decadent capitalist USA, for what it's worth. (I was on them.)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Free and reduced-price lunch programs are a thing even in the decadent capitalist USA, for what it's worth. (I was on them.)
I've heard of that too, and I'm always surprised. Not because it's a bad thing, (it's the opposite of that) but because it's the sort of thing I can see some wealthy jerk complaining about and getting taken down somehow.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"