Yamaku student body, architecture, etc.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ritter Delorges

Re: Yamaku student body, architecture, etc.

Post by Ritter Delorges »

I am a little surprised that Yamaku seems so tiny to some here. In my class in a perfectly unremarkable public German school we were seventy-something students. Granted, that school covered nine years resulting in a much higher total because of the typical structure of the school system here. Also, Yamaku is a boarding school and that increases the facilities needed per student quite a bit.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Oddball wrote:What I'm somewhat curious about is the other disabled school that they the competed against in Emi's track meet.
Was it another disabled school? I was under the impression it was a regular track meet.
Ritter Delorges wrote:I am a little surprised that Yamaku seems so tiny to some here. In my class in a perfectly unremarkable public German school we were seventy-something students. Granted, that school covered nine years resulting in a much higher total because of the typical structure of the school system here. Also, Yamaku is a boarding school and that increases the facilities needed per student quite a bit.
Yamaku is a boarding Highschool though.
My highschool was a career&tech (which required an entrance exam, but I question how well you needed to do on it because of some of the other students) and my Freshman class was almost as large as the entire student body of Yamaku (by the time I graduated there were 816 students) :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Steinherz wrote:
Oddball wrote:What I'm somewhat curious about is the other disabled school that they the competed against in Emi's track meet.
Was it another disabled school? I was under the impression it was a regular track meet.
I could have sworn Hisao said something like, it made him feel better knowing there was another school like ours out there.
Not Dead Yet
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

ewx wrote:It doesn't seem prestigious either, as Hisao seems to just waltz in (although that could be due to his aptitude in sciences etc.).
I was waiting for someone to mention this. Both of Hisao's parents work long hours. The Nakais' financial status possibly allows for Hisao's entry and medical costs, but apparently not enough for Hisao to throw money around like Lilly and Shizune (who are from exceptionally rich families). This does imply "prestigious" to me.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I'm not sure about prestigious, but I'd be surprised if Yamaku only catered to rich disabled kids.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Ritter Delorges

Post by Ritter Delorges »

It could be something that occasionally happens in real-life institutions, too. They have high 'list prices' but reduced rates for students from low-income families, scholarships for gifted students etc. That way you have diverse student body overall, but things can be really though for average income students with decent but unspectacular performance.
ewx

Post by ewx »

Bad Apple wrote:This does imply "prestigious" to me.
What about Hanako?

If she doesn't turn up to all the lessons and frequently walks out of class, she'd be at a severe disadvantage in terms of any academic scholarships.
Assuming her being there is the governments doing (what with having no legal guardian), would they really send a disabled girl to a very prestigious school for disabled children if there are cheaper or less prestigious alternatives?

Isn't it mentioned at some point that Jigoro is a large donor towards the Yamaku Academy? Depending on how large the amount he gives, Yamaku could be charging much lower than what would be expected of a prestigious boarding school, which could still make it prestigious but allow for non-rich kids to attend. Yamaku does seem to give off an 'air' of wanting to genuinely help people instead of squeezing them for all their money.
demonix

Post by demonix »

ewx wrote:What about Hanako?

If she doesn't turn up to all the lessons and frequently walks out of class, she'd be at a severe disadvantage in terms of any academic scholarships.
Assuming her being there is the governments doing (what with having no legal guardian), would they really send a disabled girl to a very prestigious school for disabled children if there are cheaper or less prestigious alternatives?
She made the decision to go to Yamaku herself (it's mentioned in her route).