Is Rin Cliche at all?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shadowyeclipse

Re: Is Rin Cliche at all?

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:If you want a cliche character, there's that one blind blonde I can name--now that's cliche. :lol:
Yes, we get it. You hate Lilly and like to criticize the character. Try not talking about it every five minutes. You know what we call it when someone blatantly draws attention to an obvious point every five minutes in film? Shitty writing. Quit being shitty writing. It's just sad. Also sad is the lie that she's cliche but that's another matter :P

@Pyramid Head: Exactly right. Nomiya's the most realistic and it sucks because people like him really exist. :lol: I'd call Jigoro a cliche though if he wasn't such a caricature.
Jigoro and Kenji are bearable because it is literally almost impossible for someone like them to exist, which makes them funny. They are over the top, and blow right through the "Weirdness" barrier that everyone has installed in them.

There was actually a TVtrope page on something similar that I forgot the name to, but it describes this pretty well, the "weird" barrier thing.

But Nomiya didn't piss me off though. Not at first, when he yelled at Rin, I realized of how much of an arse he was, but before that, I actually kind of liked him, but only because I thought Rin was working with him of her own free will, which is probably not true.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Megumeru wrote:If you want a cliche character, there's that one blind blonde I can name--now that's cliche. :lol:
Yes, we get it. You hate Lilly and like to criticize the character. Try not talking about it every five minutes. You know what we call it when someone blatantly draws attention to an obvious point every five minutes in film? Shitty writing. Quit being shitty writing. It's just sad. Also sad is the lie that she's cliche but that's another matter :P

@Pyramid Head: Exactly right. Nomiya's the most realistic and it sucks because people like him really exist. :lol: I'd call Jigoro a cliche though if he wasn't such a caricature.
Jigoro and Kenji are bearable because it is literally almost impossible for someone like them to exist, which makes them funny. They are over the top, and blow right through the "Weirdness" barrier that everyone has installed in them.

There was actually a TVtrope page on something similar that I forgot the name to, but it describes this pretty well, the "weird" barrier thing.

But Nomiya didn't piss me off though. Not at first, when he yelled at Rin, I realized of how much of an arse he was, but before that, I actually kind of liked him, but only because I thought Rin was working with him of her own free will, which is probably not true.
"Literally almost impossible"...I used to think it impossible that people would murder their own children or [on a lighter note] peddle the belief that Hitler was working with aliens to discover and raise an army of forgotten underground Titans. Do not underestimate the kind of looney toons that humanity can spit forth. There are a lot more out there than you think. :lol: That last bit would sound just like Kenji if you substituted "feminists" for "Hitler". :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Xanatos wrote:
"Literally almost impossible"...I used to think it impossible that people would murder their own children or [on a lighter note] peddle the belief that Hitler was working with aliens to discover and raise an army of forgotten underground Titans. Do not underestimate the kind of looney toons that humanity can spit forth. There are a lot more out there than you think. :lol: That last bit would sound just like Kenji if you substituted "feminists" for "Hitler". :P
Xanatos.

Go home, you're drunk.

But then again, good point. Really good point.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Xanatos.

Go home, you're drunk.

But then again, good point. Really good point.

Just for the record, my ex-brother is Kenji in that scenario and that is a belief he actually brings up quite often. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

I actually know conspiracy theorists like Kenji in real life. That's something about people who follow American politics worth noting, you need to make it clear when you're being sarcastic because nothing sounds farfetched anymore.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I actually kind of liked him, but only because I thought Rin was working with him of her own free will, which is probably not true.
Are you saying he forced her to do the art exhibit?

Sure he wanted her to do it, but Hisao did as well, and Rin seemed to go along with it fine. She could have said no or quit, but she went along with it. It actually does seem like something Rin would have wanted until you find out exactly why she does art in the first place. Even then, at least part of her probably thought it was a good idea.

Nomiya never forced her to do the exhibit. He just didn't understand what she wanted, for that matter, she never explains herself to him either, even after he yells at her.
Not Dead Yet
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Oddball wrote:
I actually kind of liked him, but only because I thought Rin was working with him of her own free will, which is probably not true.
Are you saying he forced her to do the art exhibit?

Sure he wanted her to do it, but Hisao did as well, and Rin seemed to go along with it fine. She could have said no or quit, but she went along with it. It actually does seem like something Rin would have wanted until you find out exactly why she does art in the first place. Even then, at least part of her probably thought it was a good idea.

Nomiya never forced her to do the exhibit. He just didn't understand what she wanted, for that matter, she never explains herself to him either, even after he yells at her.

But for some reason, Rin doesn't seem like one to say "No," to much.

Don't turn it into a rape joke, please.

*Shrug*

I think Rin must have been something close to ambivalent towards the whole professional art career thing, at least to start.

Dream

Post by Dream »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I think Rin must have been something close to ambivalent towards the whole professional art career thing, at least to start.
Didn't she herself say she wasn't sure how she felt about the art exhibit,the way she was going with art, or what art meant to her?

And on topic: No i didn't really find Rin cliche at all, then again, i don't watch much anime (or recent TV series, or anything else, really)
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:Don't turn it into a rape joke, please.
A rape joke wouldn't make sense there. If she doesn't say "no", it's not rape. :P