Why are we still here

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Snow_Storm

Re: Why are we still here

Post by Snow_Storm »

dwarduk wrote:= You'd better pray KS never breaks through to the mainstream. I could never cope with the likes of Facepunch on here.
Yeah, because mainstream has totally ruin everything!

Let me guess, you will hate on something and say it suck once it gets popular, right?

Hipster.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

-.-

No, I'm not a hipster. I wear jeans and band t-shirts, (moderately) fashionable shoes, and listen to a wide variety of music ranging from the obscure to the extremely popular. I just can't stand that section of the internet that decides it is time to act like aggravating, immature idiots everywhere, as I have personally experienced on Facepunch more than anywhere else.

I would love it if KS were well-known and accepted, but I would not be able to stand those side-effects.
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Because I simply cannot get enough KS -- the game and the community :)

Also, KS has promted me to make several positive lifestyle changes. Staying active here helps reinforce those.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
yummines

Post by yummines »

because while there is the occasional troll or spambot, the KS community is pretty good. people actually think before posting. also it seems we use proper grammar, logic, and reasoning. to some extent at least.

have you ever seen the forums for League of Legends or the website Gaia Online? its a wasteland out there, this is our Arcadia.

well that and feels. all the feels.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Snow_Storm wrote:Yeah, because mainstream has totally ruin everything!
The mainstream actually does have a nasty tendency to flood the market with imitators who don't do the homework and thus get things all wrong. Whether or not that ruins things depends on how exactly it happens.

I believe this is why the KS developers put "No Derivative Works" on the license, and frankly, more power to them for that.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

yummines wrote:because while there is the occasional troll or spambot, the KS community is pretty good. people actually think before posting. also it seems we use proper grammar, logic, and reasoning. to some extent at least.

have you ever seen the forums for League of Legends or the website Gaia Online? its a wasteland out there, this is our Arcadia.

well that and feels. all the feels.
As a once player of gaia online...I know how you feel...

back to topic, coz I gots some buddies here that I like talking with in an awesome thread somewhere. And yes, as everyone has said. Almost everyone here thinks before they post and nice to talk to since of that like-mindedness state thingy.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

If the devs ever get tired of maintaining this forum, I'd hope they pass it to somebody else...

I'm here because I'm tired of being surrounded by idiots with no understanding. I damn near killed myself on my 21st birthday from all the drinking I did on account of so many years enduring that sort of crap. This forum is decent people.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

Because it is one of the most mature and coolest internet community's I have ever come across
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

Yeah, because mainstream has totally ruin everything!
Being mainstream in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does have some unfortunate side-effects.

The fact of the matter is that the Internet is chock-full of jerkasses, douchebags, ****wits, morons, trolls, and all other manner of unpleasant people. They're out there, and they will *always* be out there - such is the nature of the beast. While there are a number of ways to deal with such folks (each with varying degrees of success), one of the best is to simply never draw their attention to begin with.

The KS community is, as far as online communities go, relatively small. It definitely has some influence beyond its own circle, as we've seen in the memes and such - but it's still a relatively self-contained entity. The nature of the game itself is partly responsible for this - Katawa Shoujo is one of those games that you either 'get it' - understand it, *feel* it in a very personal way - or else you don't 'get it' and you end up wandering away, shaking your head in confusion and disbelief. This makes it a rather obscure (and thus unappealing) target for trolls - most of the people who are familiar enough with KS to even realize that a fanbase exists are going to be the sort of people who liked it and don't *want* to hurt peoples' feelings. By its very nature, the 'feels' of KS draw in people who are thoughtful, sensitive, and open with others - which makes for a very civil and enjoyable community. :)

If KS *were* to ever gain more mainstream acclaim, it would undoubtedly draw more attention from GIFTs eager to bespoil such a fertile paradise now that they would be aware of its existence. Let's all be thankful we're still off the proverbial radar for now, and enjoy the warm fuzzy fandomness while we can. ;)
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Revvy

Post by Revvy »

In relation to the whole "Mainstream" debate, I would not want KS to go Mainstream,

E.g. say one of the dick jockey's from One Direction or some shit, stumbles across it and lets the fans know it's amazing and our precious community gets flooded by idiotic One Direction fans everyday like

"Shat up u dik, asshole number 2 from 1direkshun says Rinz root is tha best so it iz end off"

Imagine how depressing that would be
So...Revvy enjoys lemon lube then? -Xanatos
(Yes I Do.)
Currently Reading: Scissorlips' Suzu Route.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Revvy wrote:In relation to the whole "Mainstream" debate, I would not want KS to go Mainstream,

E.g. say one of the dick jockey's from One Direction or some shit, stumbles across it and lets the fans know it's amazing and our precious community gets flooded by idiotic One Direction fans everyday like

"Shat up u dik, asshole number 2 from 1direkshun says Rinz root is tha best so it iz end off"

Imagine how depressing that would be
That might be even worse than the apocalyptic scenario I had imagined... :?
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Mint

Post by Mint »

I like it here.

I believe that is reason enough.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Mint wrote:I like it here.

I believe that is reason enough.
Oh my GOD, there are mints in the sky! :shock:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

I think you guys are missing the point on this Mainstream rage. Ok, no one likes the generic immature d00d who spams, annoys and troll people for no reason, but then again, a elitist douche is just as bad or worse.

Most examples of "Mainstream corruption" that been posted refer to games that are:
A - Competitive
B - Online
c - With fiery explosions of magic/plasma/gunpowder

So the chances of people trash talking on the boards are next to Nil, after all, what are they going to trash talk about? "So, i fucked that blind broad under 35 minutes on that speedrun"? Come on...

By talking things like "Yada yada, i hate the mainstream" and "i hope this never becomes popular" you guys are being gigantic jerks, and probably some new users is going to read this and think "better avoid the boards, they hate newcomers", do we really want that?
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Tomate wrote:I think you guys are missing the point on this Mainstream rage. Ok, no one likes the generic immature d00d who spams, annoys and troll people for no reason, but then again, a elitist douche is just as bad or worse.

Most examples of "Mainstream corruption" that been posted refer to games that are:
A - Competitive
B - Online
c - With fiery explosions of magic/plasma/gunpowder

So the chances of people trash talking on the boards are next to Nil, after all, what are they going to trash talk about? "So, i fucked that blind broad under 35 minutes on that speedrun"? Come on...

By talking things like "Yada yada, i hate the mainstream" and "i hope this never becomes popular" you guys are being gigantic jerks, and probably some new users is going to read this and think "better avoid the boards, they hate newcomers", do we really want that?
"I used to think Hanako's scars were gross then I took an arrow to the HNNNNG."

[/diversion]